• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As "Gaming As A Service plateau, What gaming IP could transition well into the next big thing, Metaverse?

If you're r new to the concept, Metaverse is a digital reality that combines aspects of social media, augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), and cryptocurrencies to allow users to interact virtually.

Basically, a video game for real-life.

As IoT, Internet of Thing, the philosophy in the electronic industry, and Games as a Service start to dwindle, Metaverse seems to be the direction many companies are gearing up for.

But for gaming, what IPs are already geared towards Metaverse gaming?

Lets avoid our own bias here:

Boomblox has already reached a Metaverse like stat.

Fornite will likely be an obvious ip to adopt a Metaverse

I personally favorite of mine, which I wouldn't too care for but could be possible is Phantasy Star Online.

Guilty_AI

I think the metaverse is one of those ideas that is correct in theory but too early to be executed in large scale.
While VR and AR seem to be growing, its nowhere near enough the level of mainstream required for it to be active part of our lives. Social media grew to this scale because everyone had computers and smartphones at ready. Though there's also the chance they are creating this sort of "hype" in hopes they'll increase VR devices adoption.

As for your question, i think lots of MMOs or other types of GAAS could fit into the idea. Its not really much different from what they already are after all.

Last edited:
Sonic the Hedgehog. Once the Metaverse sets in, furries will be a lot more common. Sonic is the most successful anthropomorphic animal in gaming.

Phantasy Star Online 2: NG might have the best action combat ever in an MMO. I think it is but would it be that great playing VR? don't people get dizzy playing VR. Wouldn't it be exacerbated by playing PSO2. All the dodging by you and the enemies and sharp movement and flying around opponents.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

I loved the Wii as much as the next guy, heck I love Steven Spielberg as much as the next guy.
But I very much doubt this is true.
I legit havent seen anyone talk about Boomblox in years, let alone think it reached what Metaverse is trying to achieve.
It was a cool use of the Wii mote and was actually a really fun game....but it didnt set the world on fire or anything.
Heck i dont think it even did a million copies.

Boom-Blox-Wii.jpg

JLB

Banned
If you're r new to the concept, Metaverse is a digital reality that combines aspects of social media, augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), and cryptocurrencies to allow users to interact virtually.

Basically, a video game for real-life.

As IoT, Internet of Thing, the philosophy in the electronic industry, and Games as a Service start to dwindle, Metaverse seems to be the direction many companies are gearing up for.

But for gaming, what IPs are already geared towards Metaverse gaming?

Fornite will likely be an obvious ip to adopt a Metaverse

I personally favorite of mine, which I wouldn't too care for but could be possible is Phantasy Star Online.
yes op, PSO was the first thing that came to mind.
Other games like Starfield, Halo, Star Wars, GTA look like great candidates.

I think it is but would it be that great playing VR? don't people get dizzy playing VR.
It's difficult to pinpoint. Some games make me dizzy or sick while playing VR, but not always the ones you'd expect. For example, I'd get motion sickness playing Resident Evil VII, but I had no issues playing WipeOut.

Guilty_AI

It's difficult to pinpoint. Some games make me dizzy or sick while playing VR, but not always the ones you'd expect. For example, I'd get motion sickness playing Resident Evil VII, but I had no issues playing WipeOut.
Could be performance related. I said this in another thread but if performance is too low in VR it'll increase the chance of motion sickness. I believe you'd need a minimum 90 fps, even 80 can start causing issues.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
in my case i think that minecraft, hytale and dreams are the most likely ips to be a metaverse.
Yeah Minecraft pretty much already is a metaverse as is.
Roblox with the fact you can actually make real world money with that game puts it right up in dat metaverse shit.

Isn’t FIFA Ultimate Team already similar to NFT’s? There is a real economy. You can sell virtual cards to other real people that have actual values and price can fluctuate and some cards can be extremely rare.

Top Bottom