• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Halo Infinite cheating begins, console players call on 343 to let them disable crossplay

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Halo Infinite multiplayer is out in the wild - and cheating has already begun.

Players have reported coming across cheaters in 343's free-to-play competitive shooter, whose multiplayer is still flagged as being in beta.

Video game cheating is usually more prevalent on PC, although it does go on on console, and it's usually more prevalent in free-to-play games compared to premium games. Now, with the emergence of cheating in Halo Infinite, some console players are calling on 343 to add the ability to turn off crossplay with PC.

Halo Infinite does not let you turn off cross-play between PC and Xbox. However, in ranked arena players can choose whether they want to play with mouse and keyboard players or controller players. While this potentially leads to longer matchmaking times, some console players are setting up their games to play with controller players only in a bid to make it less likely they'll run up against PC cheaters.

Of course, PC players can play with a controller on Halo Infinite. There is currently no way for Xbox players to avoid playing with PC players who use a controller.

"This is one of the reasons many console users choose to not play on PC," said redditor Meiie in a post on r/XboxSeriesX titled "Now that cheating in Halo is confirmed on PC, can we have to option to opt out of cross-play?"

"Besides the ease of playing on console, avoiding PC cheaters has been my biggest reason for not playing on PC. Destiny, Warzone, BF, Apex.. tons of cheaters on PC. Never run into any when playing on console and opting out of cross-play.

"This is really important and I think not getting this option now is gonna spiral pretty hard into us players, on console, having to deal with infestation of cheaters currently on PC."

Here’s how to disable crossplay on Xbox consoles.

• Press the Xbox button on your controller to bring up Xbox guide.
    how to turn off crossplay battlefield 2042
  • Go to Settings > Account > Privacy & Online Safety within your profile.
  • Select Xbox privacy.
  • Select Custom > View Details and Customize.
  • Choose Communication & Multiplayer.
  • Head to “You can join cross-network play” and switch it from Allow to Block.

Rykan

So is this really cheating or is this yet another case where a developer says that matchmaking is based on control input (M&K or controller) but it actually isn't and they just match up controller and M&K users anyway?

Call of Duty got away with this blatant lie, so other devs will get away with it too.

demonstr8

Yea, said that many times. There is always more cheaters on PC compared to console, its a fact.
Man, I remember when Dark Souls 3 was out recently and my mate was having a really good run on PC apart from some random stutter, then he got invaded and someone hit him with a generic looking axe a couple of times and then disconnected. Afterwards his inventory was completely fucked so he restarted the game and went to load his save but it was corrupted.

I think it was this https://screenrant.com/dark-souls-3-player-save-hacked-online-exploit/
But at the time the player had to hit with you their weapon for it to work according to the source we found. It's an unlikely and unlucky scenario but he was so pissed when it happened.

Bet they won't do it! Cross play is great for PC players but terrible for console. Its a scam and is being heralded as something great. Great for PC because they tend to have lower populations. Terrible for us because of cheating and because of how unfair it is having to play against m+k.

Notice how all these games have Cross Play turned on by default? Try disabling it and being able to consistently fill up lobbies in BF 2042...

It's the trendy thing now and is being used in marketing material. Other than being able to play with your friends on other platforms it serves no benefit, just negatives, for console.

Shame on any developer who uses it as the default option in their games. They should know better. Some games don't even give the option to turn off.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
So is this really cheating or is this yet another case where a developer says that matchmaking is based on control input (M&K or controller) but it actually isn't and they just match up controller and M&K users anyway?

Call of Duty got away with this blatant lie, so other devs will get away with it too.

Did you watch the videos (not trying to sound like an ass, but it's all there)? Dudes are wall hacking and snap-on auto aiming. It doesn't matter what their input device is, they're doing it because anyone with rudimentary computing knowledge can download cheats and get them up and running on a controller in minutes for just about every multiplayer shooter out there. So cheating PC players are loading up their cheats while playing on a controller so they can troll console users.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Man, I remember when Dark Souls 3 was out recently and my mate was having a really good run on PC apart from some random stutter, then he got invaded and someone hit him with a generic looking axe a couple of times and then disconnected. Afterwards his inventory was completely fucked so he restarted the game and went to load his save but it was corrupted.

I think it was this https://screenrant.com/dark-souls-3-player-save-hacked-online-exploit/
But at the time the player had to hit with you their weapon for it to work according to the source we found. It's an unlikely and unlucky scenario but he was so pissed when it happened.
damn that sucks, sometimes i glad i dont play multiplayer much, even I do i just game on console.

Halo Infinite multiplayer is out in the wild - and cheating has already begun.

Players have reported coming across cheaters in 343's free-to-play competitive shooter, whose multiplayer is still flagged as being in beta.

Video game cheating is usually more prevalent on PC, although it does go on on console, and it's usually more prevalent in free-to-play games compared to premium games. Now, with the emergence of cheating in Halo Infinite, some console players are calling on 343 to add the ability to turn off crossplay with PC.

Halo Infinite does not let you turn off cross-play between PC and Xbox. However, in ranked arena players can choose whether they want to play with mouse and keyboard players or controller players. While this potentially leads to longer matchmaking times, some console players are setting up their games to play with controller players only in a bid to make it less likely they'll run up against PC cheaters.

Of course, PC players can play with a controller on Halo Infinite. There is currently no way for Xbox players to avoid playing with PC players who use a controller.

"This is one of the reasons many console users choose to not play on PC," said redditor Meiie in a post on r/XboxSeriesX titled "Now that cheating in Halo is confirmed on PC, can we have to option to opt out of cross-play?"

"Besides the ease of playing on console, avoiding PC cheaters has been my biggest reason for not playing on PC. Destiny, Warzone, BF, Apex.. tons of cheaters on PC. Never run into any when playing on console and opting out of cross-play.

"This is really important and I think not getting this option now is gonna spiral pretty hard into us players, on console, having to deal with infestation of cheaters currently on PC."

Here’s how to disable crossplay on Xbox consoles.

• Press the Xbox button on your controller to bring up Xbox guide.
    how to turn off crossplay battlefield 2042
  • Go to Settings > Account > Privacy & Online Safety within your profile.
  • Select Xbox privacy.
  • Select Custom > View Details and Customize.
  • Choose Communication & Multiplayer.
  • Head to “You can join cross-network play” and switch it from Allow to Block.

See this is what happens when its "On" by default and you try to turn it off. Longer matchmaking wait times. Who wants to wait longer and have their time wasted.

Things like this are further proof that the people in charge of these games don't give a fuck about their audience.

kingfey

Banned
Remember, you can make infinite steam accounts, to play halo infinite mp. so these cheaters will exist.

bender

What time is it?
See this is what happens when its "On" by default and you try to turn it off. Longer matchmaking wait times. Who wants to wait longer and have their time wasted.

Things like this are further proof that the people in charge of these games don't give a fuck about their audience.

Platform specific play in Overwatch on Playstation is impossible because of this.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

To this day, on BF1 or BFV, one can log into official game servers during late night US hours and watch them be dominated by players openly cheating. They just don't care. They laugh about it, call people racist slurs, and produly proclaim they'll never be banned. Some of these same cheaters have been there for years. Not hyperbole. Literally openly cheating for years and DICE has done nothing about it.

The GTA V and Red Dead Online clients are so insecure that simple cheat clients can be downloaded that allows one to literally modify the game on another player's client. They can make you crash with malformed packets. Take away your ability to shoot. Cause explosive damage to hit you nonstop. They can even follow you into other lobbies because Rockstar makes absolutely no attempt to secure their client, so you're a fucking open book once you log into one of their servers. Who knows how many PC's have even been compromised thanks to such poor client security?

Yea, you're absolutely right. In order to stop cheating they'd have to treat it like a customer service priority - which means hiring capable teams to sniff out cheats, provide fixes for engineering, do stuff like manually monitoring lobbies when reports come in, and develop tools that make it all easy and simple. So of course these companies aren't going to do that. They already got your money, so they don't care.

ClosBSAS

People are just so pathetic, so sad, so moronic. Humanity has no hope with losers like these. Either way, key Oard and mouse is so easy I dominate on PC where I suck on joystick. X-Play should not be allowed on ranked. It's just too easy to stomp joystick users.

kingfey

Banned
So sometimes I can't tell what I'm looking for when someone says there is "cheating" in these clips.

Is it actually happening or is it just sour grapes for getting your rear kicked?
its flip coin luck. Some games you get them, some games you dont.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Welcome to PC gaming. This is why I as someone that pretty much only plays online games have stayed away from PC.

They'll no doubt let you disable cross play eventually, I would think on day 1 of actual release, because the option is clearly already there in the menus. Cross play is fantastic and should ALWAYS be an option, but that option should never be taken away in competitive games like this. When I started playing warzone on Series X you literally could not disable PC cross play even though you could on PS5, and it was just filled to the brim with cheaters. Stopped playing that quick smart.

Why not call on 343 to stop cheaters?
Because it's not that simple lol. If it was then online gaming on PC on pretty much every single game wouldn't be plagued with cheaters. Also remember that one of the big benefits of UWP was preventing cheating yet the PC community (a large percentage of who are cheaters) got outraged about UWP. Gee, I wonder why.

So sometimes I can't tell what I'm looking for when someone says there is "cheating" in these clips.

Is it actually happening or is it just sour grapes for getting your rear kicked?
The dead giveaway is when the person is tracking other players when they absolutely cannot have anyway of seeing them, like when they're behind a wall, or when the reticule just instantly snaps to the head of players and tracks them allowing for easy headshots.

I think crossplay is absolutely fantastic and should be included with every multiplayer game, but strictly between Xbox and PlayStation.

Agreed, with an option of adding PC in to the mix as well. Cross platform play is honestly the best thing that has happened to console online gaming in generations.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Welcome to PC gaming. This is why I as someone that pretty much only plays online games have stayed away from PC.

They'll no doubt let you disable cross play eventually, I would think on day 1 of actual release, because the option is clearly already there in the menus. Cross play is fantastic and should ALWAYS be an option, but that option should never be taken away in competitive games like this. When I started playing warzone on Series X you literally could not disable PC cross play even though you could on PS5, and it was just filled to the brim with cheaters. Stopped playing that quick smart.

Because it's not that simple lol. If it was then online gaming on PC on pretty much every single game wouldn't be plagued with cheaters. Also remember that one of the big benefits of UWP was preventing cheating yet the PC community (a large percentage of who are cheaters) got outraged about UWP. Gee, I wonder why.

The dead giveaway is when the person is tracking other players when they absolutely cannot have anyway of seeing them, like when they're behind a wall, or when the reticule just instantly snaps to the head of players and tracks them allowing for easy headshots.

Agreed, with an option of adding PC in to the mix as well. Cross platform play is honestly the best thing that has happened to console online gaming in generations.

You can tell I haven't played it yet with my questions ...

So those videos where you can see the outlines of people when they are behind walls is NOT how the game should normally look? I can understand the reticule snapping to heads too. Can't see how that would be possible on console (or at least easily) but I imagine modding PC isn't terribly difficult ...

Rykan

Did you watch the videos (not trying to sound like an ass, but it's all there)? Dudes are wall hacking and snap-on auto aiming. It doesn't matter what their input device is, they're doing it because anyone with rudimentary computing knowledge can download cheats and get them up and running on a controller in minutes for just about every multiplayer shooter out there. So cheating PC players are loading up their cheats while playing on a controller so they can troll console users.
So the first and third videos are blatant cheating, no argument there. The 2nd video is ....ehhh? Little bit more questionable. Like it certainly looks like cheating and if pressed to say yes or no I'd say yes, but it's not as blatant as the other two cases.

Gamerguy84

Cross play should be off by default. It should be an option to be enabled only.

They're gonna hurt their own playing base. People that love to game but aren't on forums that don't know this is just going to get frustrated and quit, not knowing cheaters are ruining their fun.

I turned it off for BF2042 and have no problem finding matches. This is F2P so should be a lot of players avaliable.

Kagey K

Banned
Cross play should be off by default. It should be an option to be enabled only.

They're gonna hurt their own playing base. People that love to game but aren't on forums that don't know this is just going to get frustrated and quit, not knowing cheaters are ruining their fun.

I turned it off for BF2042 and have no problem finding matches. This is F2P so should be a lot of players avaliable.
There are, I turned it off tonight just to test it and found games equally as fast as before I turned it off

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't see the issue.

Doesn't console have auto aim assist aka aim bot? seems fair to me to give aimbots towards PC then same shit.

Remove it all or allow it all.
If youre talking about general COD aim assist features in the options menu, that feature barely does anything. Its not the same as an aimbot.

When I play COD that feature is on by default and it's not like if you shoot a gun at someone 6 ft wide, the game helps you immediately lock onto an enemy like a PC aimbot or wallhack. It barely does anything. You can shoot someone missing wide by 1 ft and if you miss you miss.

Aim Assist is an option that helps you target enemy players in case if you use a gaming controller while playing CoD Warzone. ... The aim assist slows the player's crosshair as soon as it is near the target, making it easier to fire precise shots.

Shmunter

We can thank Phil and his loyalists for normalising this. Yes that’s right, it was Xbox pushing it, and shaming those that resisted like a classic sjw push with inclusivity, gaming is for everybody, etc. rhetoric.

And frankly it’s always been an open secret why - the smaller install base. Install base and where your friends play is a key for choosing a platform, remove that issue and you can now go with the underdog without missing out.

Thanks!

MrFunSocks

Banned
I've never understood how cheaters actually have fun while cheating.

I'd get bored of having the game do everything for me, is there a big dopamine rush from seeing your name at the top even though you did nothing for it?
They’re generally just losers that can’t compete normally so get pleasure from beating people that they couldn’t normally. They only have fun when they’re winning, no matter how they do it.

tmlDan

as i've stated in this forum previously, F2P games suck ass because you can ban them and they make a new account.

IP banning doesn't even work if they have a VPN.

Have fun with the cheaters Halo.

Dream-Knife

Banned
If youre talking about general COD aim assist features in the options menu, that feature barely does anything. Its not the same as an aimbot.

When I play COD that feature is on by default and it's not like if you shoot a gun at someone 6 ft wide, the game helps you immediately lock onto an enemy like a PC aimbot or wallhack. It barely does anything. You can shoot someone missing wide by 1 ft and if you miss you miss.

Aim Assist is an option that helps you target enemy players in case if you use a gaming controller while playing CoD Warzone. ... The aim assist slows the player's crosshair as soon as it is near the target, making it easier to fire precise shots.
In Vanguard the entire game is just ads then hit your trigger. It's designed for kids with ADHD who want instant gratification.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know anything about programming, but I remember reading Diablo 3 is hard to hack since Activision keeps important files server side (when it comes to making random loot and dungeons).

Cant shooter makers do something with that idea? So even if someone installs a wallhack or aimbot gamer side, it wont work with server side info?

njean777

Anything competitive should have the option given to you with a pop up to turn it off or on. I shouldn't have to go into menus to turn it off. I only turn it off on Competitive shooters. That is just me though.

treemk

Banned
I dont know anything about programming, but I remember reading Diablo 3 is hard to hack since Activision keeps important files server side (when it comes to making random loot and dungeons).

Cant shooter makers do something with that idea? So even if someone installs a wallhack or aimbot gamer side, it wont work with server side info?

No, a modern aimbot it scanning what is on screen and mimicking player input to make a headshot. They dont directly interact with game files at all and the only hope for anticheat is behavior based (or givingit full access to check what is running on your system which pc players revolt against) . As long as the aimbot restrains itself to acting like a godlike but real player there is no hope in stopping it.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Anything competitive should have the option given to you with a pop up to turn it off or on. I shouldn't have to go into menus to turn it off. I only turn it off on Competitive shooters. That is just me though.
Halo has one in the menu on matchmaking, it’s just locked atm to cross play on. I’d say it’ll be unlocked come December 8 after the “beta” finishes.

as i've stated in this forum previously, F2P games suck ass because you can ban them and they make a new account.

IP banning doesn't even work if they have a VPN.

Have fun with the cheaters Halo.
IP bans aren’t the only way to tell if you’re playing from the same console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom