• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Halo Infinite cheating begins, console players call on 343 to let them disable crossplay

MrFunSocks

Banned
I've never understood how cheaters actually have fun while cheating.

I'd get bored of having the game do everything for me, is there a big dopamine rush from seeing your name at the top even though you did nothing for it?
Also I think with the streaming age that we’re in now it actually lets cheaters potentially make money and get some fame unfortunately. I know in pubg a lot of people that stream regularly are cheaters, using chronos/m+k on consoles and/or using controller mods that completely eliminate recoil.

This isn't about consoles
Doesn’t matter, the same device fingerprinting can be done on PC.

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
Also I think with the streaming age that we’re in now it actually lets cheaters potentially make money and get some fame unfortunately. I know in pubg a lot of people that stream regularly are cheaters, using chronos/m+k on consoles and/or using controller mods that completely eliminate recoil.

Good point that streaming has greatly incentivized long term cheating. Dont assume its being done for fun.

nush

Gold Member
343: Crossplay with PC?

1Ml4.gif

MrFunSocks

Banned
yet to really see any blatant cheating and am having no problems on series X ranked. I’m up to platinum 5.

There absolutely will be cheaters, but I haven’t felt my experience has been affected by them yet.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
We can thank Phil and his loyalists for normalising this. Yes that’s right, it was Xbox pushing it, and shaming those that resisted like a classic sjw push with inclusivity, gaming is for everybody, etc. rhetoric.

And frankly it’s always been an open secret why - the smaller install base. Install base and where your friends play is a key for choosing a platform, remove that issue and you can now go with the underdog without missing out.

Thanks!
Those threads a few months ago during the Epic trial were a real bloodbath. Now the same crowd is crying about it and wants to turn it off lol wbk

If You Say So Shrug GIF

V4skunk

Banned
Yea, said that many times. There is always more cheaters on PC compared to console, its a fact.
Depends what game and how you play online (private vs official servers etc).
Worst game I've ever seen for cheating was pubg and even then in 120 hours of play I ever saw like 6-7 games with hackers and most of them were china numba1 hackers.

Chukhopops

We can thank Phil and his loyalists for normalising this. Yes that’s right, it was Xbox pushing it, and shaming those that resisted like a classic sjw push with inclusivity, gaming is for everybody, etc. rhetoric.

And frankly it’s always been an open secret why - the smaller install base. Install base and where your friends play is a key for choosing a platform, remove that issue and you can now go with the underdog without missing out.

Thanks!
Let’s ignore all the positives of cross-play (allowing more game mode variety, shorter queues, giving better chances for smaller games to survive longer, cross-progression, etc) so we can take a weak, short-sighted jab at Phil Spencer.

Without cross-play only a couple huge, cookie cutter games survive while the majority of others die. Without cross-play there would be no Splitgate active player base on console for example.

Honestly console-PC crossplay for pvp games was a mistake. The only game where it isn't awful is COD because they do so much backend fuckery to keep everyone fairly level.

The two other big FPSes of the year, Halo and Battlefield 2042 really show why console-PC crossplay is garbage.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Let’s ignore all the positives of cross-play (allowing more game mode variety, shorter queues, giving better chances for smaller games to survive longer, cross-progression, etc) so we can take a weak, short-sighted jab at Phil Spencer.

Without cross-play only a couple huge, cookie cutter games survive while the majority of others die. Without cross-play there would be no Splitgate active player base on console for example.
Here we go again, the exact tired argument for cross play. A decade ago we had no crossplay and a bigger variety of multiplayer games without issue. Now all of a sudden do or die, please stop!

Personally I have no issue with console only crossplay, but pc has eroded my desire to multiplayer in such an unbalanced playfield, and that’s before all the hacking. It is what it is and it ain’t pretty.

Chukhopops

Here we go again, the exact tired argument for cross play. A decade ago we had no crossplay and a bigger variety of multiplayer games without issue. Now all of a sudden do or die, please stop!

Personally I have no issue with console only crossplay, but pc has eroded my desire to multiplayer in such an unbalanced playfield, and that’s before all the hacking. It is what it is and it ain’t pretty.
That’s not true at all, if you think about the tail end of the PS3/360 era it was terrible for multiplayer variety. There were barely any fighters you could play online (even SF4 was barely active despite selling well), it was either CoD or Halo if you were on 360.

Even big games which launched with decent multiplayer modes would die out after a couple weeks. Of course not all of those issues were about crossplay but there’s no way you can say there was more variety back then.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Such a shame. They need to sort this asap or it’s potentially game over. Just let us play console v console Until they can fix it.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Are you guys even playing the game, or just find random clips where some idiots are cheating, or questionable are.

I have met a cheater, or I am certainly sure it was. He had auto lock on me when I came from a pillar where he had no chance to could have seen me. He was directly locked on me.

He still didn't kill me because he sucked, but I do agree there are cheaters.

You guys have probably played alot more than me, but during my 30 hours of gameplay I came across one cheater. I don't know if he did, but I am most certainly sure.

Seeing the clips, it looks like it's obviously wall hacking but with the in build auto aim in the game, since you can clearly see everyone doing this shit are using a controller with that clunky movement.

Lets not pretend there's not hardware cheats on consoles as well.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Bet they won't do it! Cross play is great for PC players but terrible for console. Its a scam and is being heralded as something great. Great for PC because they tend to have lower populations. Terrible for us because of cheating and because of how unfair it is having to play against m+k.

Notice how all these games have Cross Play turned on by default? Try disabling it and being able to consistently fill up lobbies in BF 2042...

It's the trendy thing now and is being used in marketing material. Other than being able to play with your friends on other platforms it serves no benefit, just negatives, for console.

Shame on any developer who uses it as the default option in their games. They should know better. Some games don't even give the option to turn off.

Sorry but we PC players don't want console players anyway, it's bad enough we have to deal with actual hackers alongside everyone who's on xbox essentially getting an aim bot at long to mid range thanks to the insane level of "aim assist"

That's not a hack it's just what consoles get, it is disabled for PC of course even if you use a controller.

Such skill much wow.

cormack12

Gold Member
Same as every crossplay FPS. No idea why developers/publishers think half assing a crossplay feature is good. Halo actually has one of the more balanced I've seen to be fair but ultimately stop doing this.

Reallink

The fact that there's not a controller filter for non-ranked playlists is already broken beyond repair and defies all reason and logic. An extreme minority of players running cheats is a relatively minor issue when compared to the massive and indisputable advantage 95% of the PC player base has by default.

Last edited:
boo! bad PC players.

/s

the game is fucked as it is without cheaters. ain't touching it until they sort the controls/hit register out and banhammer the cheats. still looking forward to the campaign though.

Last edited:
People are just so pathetic, so sad, so moronic. Humanity has no hope with losers like these. Either way, key Oard and mouse is so easy I dominate on PC where I suck on joystick. X-Play should not be allowed on ranked. It's just too easy to stomp joystick users.
Although some are very likely adults, you had to remember that there would be a LOT of literal children too. And very few could match the evil of children.

GHG

Gold Member

Thanks!

Anyone with a brain knew that was the case from the start.

I don't care too much because firstly I'm playing this game on PC anyway and secondly because I don't take online multiplayer too seriously. But seeing the same people who were screeching about crossplay being up in arms about this is hilarious. You made your bed, now lie in it.

So much for no crossplay being aNtI-CoNsUmEr.

Last edited:

Balboa

It already feel liks I'm the only console player not using a strike pack whether there is crossplay or not, online gaming is fucked in general

Leyasu

Banned

Halo Infinite multiplayer is out in the wild - and cheating has already begun.

Players have reported coming across cheaters in 343's free-to-play competitive shooter, whose multiplayer is still flagged as being in beta.

Video game cheating is usually more prevalent on PC, although it does go on on console, and it's usually more prevalent in free-to-play games compared to premium games. Now, with the emergence of cheating in Halo Infinite, some console players are calling on 343 to add the ability to turn off crossplay with PC.

Halo Infinite does not let you turn off cross-play between PC and Xbox. However, in ranked arena players can choose whether they want to play with mouse and keyboard players or controller players. While this potentially leads to longer matchmaking times, some console players are setting up their games to play with controller players only in a bid to make it less likely they'll run up against PC cheaters.

Of course, PC players can play with a controller on Halo Infinite. There is currently no way for Xbox players to avoid playing with PC players who use a controller.

"This is one of the reasons many console users choose to not play on PC," said redditor Meiie in a post on r/XboxSeriesX titled "Now that cheating in Halo is confirmed on PC, can we have to option to opt out of cross-play?"

"Besides the ease of playing on console, avoiding PC cheaters has been my biggest reason for not playing on PC. Destiny, Warzone, BF, Apex.. tons of cheaters on PC. Never run into any when playing on console and opting out of cross-play.

"This is really important and I think not getting this option now is gonna spiral pretty hard into us players, on console, having to deal with infestation of cheaters currently on PC."

Here’s how to disable crossplay on Xbox consoles.

• Press the Xbox button on your controller to bring up Xbox guide.
    how to turn off crossplay battlefield 2042
  • Go to Settings > Account > Privacy & Online Safety within your profile.
  • Select Xbox privacy.
  • Select Custom > View Details and Customize.
  • Choose Communication & Multiplayer.
  • Head to “You can join cross-network play” and switch it from Allow to Block.

I have cross play disabled in my Xbox menu like you have shown and the halo infinite doesn’t give two fucks and leaves cross play on.

Fucking 343 are the worst

Yeah I don't think they're going to disable cross play. Fracturing the player base is not a good idea for one of their biggest game titles this generation.

Especially when xbox consoles are so hard to come by and their trying to sell a battlepass. However, it was stupid and incredibly short sighted of MS to not have a anti-cheat in place for the beta. Given the issues that Activision had with CoD's rampant cheating in warzone MS should have been ready.

Leyasu

Banned

Thanks!
How the fuck you continue to get away with posting your nonsense in every thread is beyond comprehension. Your trolling is not even high level, just childlike idiocy.

Console cross play on multiplatform games is great. It is when you add pc to the mix that the problems arise.

The natural way is for robots to vie it out at the top of the ranked mode. I was also hoping the try hards would get sucked into the ranked vortex.

Unfortunately, the weekly challenges seem to be spreading these people into quick play.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Does this happened when MS games weren't on Steam, but just on MS store?

kyoji

There are, I turned it off tonight just to test it and found games equally as fast as before I turned it off

Crossplay should always be opt in rather than opt out
No no, cross play should be mandatory and anything less is anti-consumer. There are no downsides to crossplay between various platforms. This is what gaf deemed, this is the way.

How about the industry fucking go after them, just like the music industry did/does. Full scale all out on all business fronts, legal, personal, commercial and take no prisoners.

Straight up ruining online multiplayer games these days.

This game is frustrating enough when you lose, let alone losing to cunts that cheat. Love the game but I’ll drop off until they implement anti cheat or remove cross play.

Top Bottom