• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Scam Citizen turns eight years old, the single-player campaign still sounds a long way off

That’s not a problem. Look at the tech from their latests Citizencon and tell me if some other game even comes close to that? The graphics and engine team are not sitting and eating out of their noses or something.

First you say you have access yourself, then people needs to provide footage of them playing the game? I mean there are s lot of random gameplay footage from SC on youtube. What “raw” gameplay do you need? Really a stupid argument…just give me a break with this negativity.
Look lady you can miss me with the emotions and crybaby shit. You all only push people to monetized, edited youtube videos of the game when folks are asking if you're really playing it, just show some raw footage of you actually playing the game. Hell im online now, lets play, I've posted footage of me playing in threads over the past couple years, but you super defenders of this game never do lol. Look at the chat box
6Y5uaTs.jpg

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Look lady you can miss me with the emotions and crybaby shit. You all only push people to monetized, edited youtube videos of the game when folks are asking if you're really playing it, just show some raw footage of you actually playing the game. Hell im online now, lets play, I've posted footage of me playing in threads over the past couple years, but you super defenders of this game never do lol. Look at the chat box
6Y5uaTs.jpg

No one is asking anything...only a bitch ass like you calling me "lady"? wtf is wrong with you? Are you frustrated or something? While you online...provide yourself with gameplay footage since you want me/us to provide people with "raw gameplay".

I don't know...but is the most stupid thing i've seen from someone in the last 2 days.

Here my Flickr page i use as virtual photographer...https://www.flickr.com/photos/captain_raoul/

Oh wait you wanted raw footage...use Youtube lol.

Last edited:
No one is asking anything...only a bitch ass like you calling me "lady"? wtf is wrong with you? Are you frustrated or something? While you only...provide yourself with gameplay footage since you want me/us to provide people with "raw gameplay".

I don't know...but is the most stupid thing i've seen from someone in the last 2 days.
Oh you’re not a lady? My mistake you type like a bitch 😂😂😂😂, I really thought you were some angry lady ahahahahahaha

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Oh you’re not a lady? My mistake you type like a bitch 😂😂😂😂, I really thought you were some angry lady ahahahahahaha

Hey..you helped yourself already with gameplay...congrats asshole.

but you super defenders of this game never do lol. Look at the chat box

Do you know all those people? I have posted screenshots in the official pc screenshot threads for years. I really don't know why you act childish?

Last edited:
Haha, what?!?! There isn't even a "game" here. Nothing is fully fleshed out. How can we call it a game? It's a glorified demo right now with 80% of the content completely missing.

- There is one system and its stripped bare of almost anything.
- There are basic missions who's rewards are meaningless.
- There are basic NPCs who do nothing.
- There are basic environments to walk around that do nothing and have nothing.
- Everything in the game is "work in progress" and waiting on something else we're told.

"Oh the NPCs are hollow shells because we need the missions that involve them but the missions that involve NPCs are waiting on the rewards system that is waiting on the stations in space to have events which are waiting on the asteroids which are waiting on the NPC shell to give you missions."

This is the type of circular development and explanations that get told. Follow the discussions and map they've provided. They complete 2/20 things and throw a party. They literally have CREATED ships that are useful for features not even in the game yet!
Ok, did you invest in it? Are you planning on it? If you said no, then why complain about it? Shit, there are plenty of games that have had over a decade of development time, again with way less scope and scale than this. The game is still in Alpha, sure, but fuck at least you can play (for $10/month) and see if it's for you. If not, then go play something else.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
3.15 took longer, that’s why. 3.16 was always a smaller patch compared to others.

Jigsaah Jigsaah You can’t always polish a game if other systems are not yet online. The Pyro system will come online together with server meshing. Then they can expand the game drastically. They have a dedicated team in montreal only working on star systems. There are already multiple systems in the works or done, but can’t be implemented because of some tech that isn’t online yet.
Ok maybe I don't understand how development works. That much I can admit. I'm just stating my wishes, not saying they are realistic.

It's difficult for me to reconcile in my mind the sheer length of time development has taken with what we have in our hands right now. You get where I'm coming from?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
On a side note I just recently started using Voice Attack with this game.
It's a little software also available on Steam that allows you to set and use voice commands to use macro and functions in games.
I tried it once with Mount & Blade Bannerlords, but holy shit if it isn't a match made in Heaven for these types of space sims.

Sitting on your ship flying around and turning things on and off with a brief voice command is a fucking blast.
That sounds really cool, how difficult is it to set up?

For the people who so strongly defend it here why don't you show some raw gameplay footage of it...of you doing something..I always see folks who defend the game showing off youtube videos from personalities...nah just turn on twitch, and stream some raw footage? Howcome that never happens?
I've seen Bored Gamer's semi raw footage, glitches, bugs and all.

I'm not necessarily defending the game. I have my issues with it. But I'll stream it after work if it'll prove a point. Mind you I'm not an advanced player by any means. I have a starter ship. If nothing else, it'll be somewhat indicative of what a new player would experience.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

This...99% of the thread or every thread that people create about SC.

Ok maybe I don't understand how development works. That much I can admit. I'm just stating my wishes, not saying they are realistic.

It's difficult for me to reconcile in my mind the sheer length of time development has taken with what we have in our hands right now. You get where I'm coming from?

That's because the scope of the game changed drastically in 2014. I backed SC in 2016 after the scope was changed already and i'm glad it changed to something completely different with no loading times at all.

Last edited:

Sentenza

That sounds really cool, how difficult is it to set up?
Pretty fucking easy, actually.
You type what command you want to say aloud, you choose to what key pressing or macro you want to associate it (press a button, press a button for X seconds, press a button and do a mouse gesture... That sort of shit), then you save your profile and you start using it immediately.
You can even add commands and do edits in real time just alt-tabbing a game, without any need to restart. It's literally just an utility that executes inputs with voice commands.

Still, the effect is borderline magic in the right context. You are doing this dogfight in the middle of six enemies, your current lock explodes and you can call the next closest target just muttering "target" without even looking down at the keyboard for a second.

Rivet

The order in which they are doing things is weird. It's like they focus more on ships than anything else.

Yes. It's almost like they just try to make more and more money selling ships and they care less about the game itself.

If you want to know if it's a scam or just bad project management, just ask yourself which other developer would be ok with shamelessly selling $20 000 packages in their game. If the answer is "nobody" like I think it is, then it means it's probably a scam.

There's zero reason selling $20 000 ship packages unless you're a crook. It's just wrong and everybody knows it.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This...99% of the thread or every thread that people create about SC.

That's because the scope of the game changed drastically in 2014. I backed SC in 2016 after the scope was changed already and i'm glad it changed to something completely different with no loading times at all.
I will say I was impressed with how I can go anywhere in New Babbage to my ships, FTL travel like seemingly in real space....to another planetary system, land and go into that city without loading at all. I thought there must be some kind of trick at first. But then I did something that made me realize this was real space in the game.

In a effort to battle my boredom...I decided it was a good Idea to take a nap on my Aurora while Quantum travelling from Microtech to Crusader. I was on my way to Grim Hex to buy some hacking tools because I had inadvertently taken a job from a shifty dealer. Unknowingly, I had completed the mission and got a crimestat. So I was wanted by the law. Anyways back to this nap.

So I'm travelling, I decide to get out of my seat to go lie in the bed on the ship...while FTL travelling. I encountered a bug where getting out of the chair clipped my head through the top of the ship and I...fell through it? My ship kept going without me.

So basically I'm hovering in interplanetary space and see both my destination and where I came from. I was marooned. In the last seconds of my life (i decided to end it all by removing my helmet) is when I realized that....There is actual space between these planets. It's not a hidden loading screen. That honestly blew my mind.

Last edited:

Sentenza

There is actual space between these planets. It's not a hidden loading screen. That honestly blew my mind.
This is half of the SC experience.
You pass a lot of time cursing the half baked things, the obtuse sides of the UI, the bugs every few steps... And then being in awe because, say, looking at the window of a space station you can see actual players moving out there, not just a fake background. You float in empty space until you are actually caught on the gravitational pull of a planet, they are not two separate environments. You zoom far in the distance and you can actually see what's going on INSIDE a player ship, it's not just a fake texture mesh. You experience day and night according to actual rotation about the sun, not according to faked t time schedule, etc, etc.
There are parts of it that are honestly a technical marvel. Messy and unpolished, but still, a marvel.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This is half of the SC experience.
You pass a lot of time cursing the half baked things, the obtuse sides of the UI, the bugs every few steps... And then being in awe because, say, looking at the window of a space station you can see actual players moving out there, not just a fake background. You float in empty space until you are actually caught on the gravitational pull of a planet, they are not two separate environments. You zoom far in the distance and you can actually see what's going on INSIDE a player ship, it's not just a fake texture mesh. You experience day and night according to actual rotation about the sun, not according to faked t time schedule, etc, etc.
There are parts of it that are honestly a technical marvel. Messy and unpolished, but still, a marvel.

The fact that you can see people quantum travel in the far distance is something amazing. Or when they enter atmosphere at night you can see the re-entry burn from the ground.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
E3FusM-VEAACZOl

Cloud Imperium Games is opening a brand new 1,000 person studio in a few months. That brings total employee count over 1,500.

Worst. Scam. Ever.
Nobody is saying that it's the worst scam. It's easily one of the best scams we have seen in the gaming industry.

That's the the problem lol

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
E3FusM-VEAACZOl

Nobody is saying that it's the worst scam. It's easily one of the best scams we have seen in the gaming industry.

That's the the problem lol

Then what are we really debating over? The word scam? You don't like Star Citizen so it's a scam? Is everything you don't like a scam? Is everyone else being tricked but you know the truth?

Or do people just like different stuff?

NeoGAFs track record on embracing multiplayer GAAS speaks for itself.

Nobody_Important

Then what are we really debating over? The word scam? You don't like Star Citizen so it's a scam? Is everything you don't like a scam? Is everyone else being tricked but you know the truth?

Or do people just like different stuff?

NeoGAFs track record on embracing multiplayer GAAS speaks for itself.
No I call it a scam because it's a scam. This isn't hard. It's no longer about putting out a game. It's just about keeping the money flowing. It's just promise after promise with no real progress. And everyone knows the truths except for the suckers who are still buying into this nonsense and try to convince others (and themselves) that they have not be had. There are people in this very thread who bought into it years ago and even they are calling it a scam. There are backers who have put thousands into it that have gone on to call it a scam. So it's not just me.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No I call it a scam because it's a scam. This isn't hard. It's no longer about putting out a game. It's just about keeping the money flowing. And everyone knows the truths except for the suckers who are still buying into this nonsense and try to convince others (and themselves) that they have not be had. There are people in this very thread who bought into it years ago and even they are calling it a scam. There are backers who have put thousands into it that have gone on to call it a scam. So it's not just me.

"Commercial enterprise is about making money. "

+

"Some people agree with me so it's true."

huh-what.gif

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
No I call it a scam because it's a scam. This isn't hard. It's no longer about putting out a game. It's just about keeping the money flowing. It's just promise after promise with no real progress. And everyone knows the truths except for the suckers who are still buying into this nonsense and try to convince others (and themselves) that they have not be had. There are people in this very thread who bought into it years ago and even they are calling it a scam. There are backers who have put thousands into it that have gone on to call it a scam. So it's not just me.

There are people buying games or hyping games, and in the end…these games are bad or they don’t like it.

SHOCKING!!!!

Why in the fuck should backers give a fuck about you or people that do not like it after they purchased SC? It’s funny that the word “scam” is just getting used to say something without any valid or good argument. The only thing i constantly see is repeating the same nonsense.

I don't get the idea that you really have your own opinion, but purely follow others.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well, there's just no way I buy an ingame ship for the price of a PS5 or a down payment on a modest home these days. They lost their minds and they have these whales that actually get this stuff. Not one more penny from me.

What makes this a scam is expectations vs. reality.

If your expectations differ from what you're seeing...that includes pricing of ships, length of development, roadmap concerns, etc...then you're gonna see it as a scam. I bought into the game maybe 3 months ago? I wanted to see what it was really about. $45 was a small price to pay to satisfy my curiosity. My expectations going in was that this is still in alpha so there will be bugs but in general it would be playable. For the most part that is true. So do I feel scammed? Not necessarily. I got what I paid for.

If we are looking at this from the eyes of the developer though and if their goal is to keep money flowing...you have to ask yourself does the game justify the amount of money that's been poured into it. Last I checked it was over 400 million dollars. This is over 10 years, mind you. The second question becomes, where is the money going?

I think that's where the notion of scam comes from. When you have that much money and this much time, how do you justify this? It's difficult for me being a relatively new player to understand why this happens. Even with the absolutely amazing things I mentioned earlier in this thread, it still leaves the question about why we don't have more?

It doesn't help that patches are first filled with tons of things CI plans to implement and the m maybe 70% of those plans don't make it into the patch. At that point it feels like they are dangling the carrot.

Sentenza

The fact that you can see people quantum travel in the far distance is something amazing. Or when they enter atmosphere at night you can see the re-entry burn from the ground.
Their positional audio is also pretty fucking impressive.
Being inside a ship when someone else on the pilot seat is having a dogfight battle feels almost uncanny in its similitude.
Or the sound of ships doing a flyby near you on ground level when exploring a moon/planet.

You'd have to be dense as a brick, or worse, a fucking Rivet, to be unable to appreciate it.

Ok, did you invest in it? Are you planning on it? If you said no, then why complain about it? Shit, there are plenty of games that have had over a decade of development time, again with way less scope and scale than this. The game is still in Alpha, sure, but fuck at least you can play (for $10/month) and see if it's for you. If not, then go play something else.
Yes, I have "invested" in it. Hahaha, why can't you just ask if I bought the game? What a weird way to word it.

Well, there's just no way I buy an ingame ship for the price of a PS5 or a down payment on a modest home these days. They lost their minds and they have these whales that actually get this stuff. Not one more penny from me.

What makes this a scam is expectations vs. reality.

If your expectations differ from what you're seeing...that includes pricing of ships, length of development, roadmap concerns, etc...then you're gonna see it as a scam. I bought into the game maybe 3 months ago? I wanted to see what it was really about. $45 was a small price to pay to satisfy my curiosity. My expectations going in was that this is still in alpha so there will be bugs but in general it would be playable. For the most part that is true. So do I feel scammed? Not necessarily. I got what I paid for.

If we are looking at this from the eyes of the developer though and if their goal is to keep money flowing...you have to ask yourself does the game justify the amount of money that's been poured into it. Last I checked it was over 400 million dollars. This is over 10 years, mind you. The second question becomes, where is the money going?

I think that's where the notion of scam comes from. When you have that much money and this much time, how do you justify this? It's difficult for me being a relatively new player to understand why this happens. Even with the absolutely amazing things I mentioned earlier in this thread, it still leaves the question about why we don't have more?

It doesn't help that patches are first filled with tons of things CI plans to implement and the m maybe 70% of those plans don't make it into the patch. At that point it feels like they are dangling the carrot.
It's basically a Korean MMO only with ships instead of toons.
Whales gonna whale.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There are people buying games or hyping games, and in the end…these games are bad or they don’t like it.

SHOCKING!!!!

Why in the fuck should backers give a fuck about you or people that do not like it after they purchased SC? It’s funny that the word “scam” is just getting used to say something without any valid or good argument. The only thing i constantly see is repeating the same nonsense.

I don't get the idea that you really have your own opinion, but purely follow others.

You remind me of an addict. Constantly telling himself that he isn‘t in the wrong. That what he is doing is *really* important and not that he is just tossing money down the drain.

Seek help.

Pretty fucking easy, actually.
You type what command you want to say aloud, you choose to what key pressing or macro you want to associate it (press a button, press a button for X seconds, press a button and do a mouse gesture... That sort of shit), then you save your profile and you start using it immediately.
You can even add commands and do edits in real time just alt-tabbing a game, without any need to restart. It's literally just an utility that executes inputs with voice commands.

Still, the effect is borderline magic in the right context. You are doing this dogfight in the middle of six enemies, your current lock explodes and you can call the next closest target just muttering "target" without even looking down at the keyboard for a second.

for an unfinished game, it looks phenomenal and the voice commands appear to enhance the gameplay. I kind of want to play this now.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
for an unfinished game, it looks phenomenal and the voice commands appear to enhance the gameplay. I kind of want to play this now.

I have a ultrawide display since last week 3440x1440 and i enabled DLDSR today with the new Nvidia driver. Getting full 60 or even 70 frames with at 5160x2160 is just a game changer. This combined with Gsync and walking around a derelict site is just mind blowing atm.

Last edited:

Ribi

You remind me of an addict. Constantly telling himself that he isn‘t in the wrong. That what he is doing is *really* important and not that he is just tossing money down the drain.

Seek help.
You sound like a Christian pushing your beliefs on people telling them to stop having fun. 2 can at at this game. Just like SC we can all play rn

Nobody_Important

"Commercial enterprise is about making money. "

+

"Some people agree with me so it's true."

huh-what.gif

SHOCKING!!!!

Dude they are selling bundles for thousands of dollars that includes ships that don't even exist yet in the game and have not existed despite some of those "ships" being available for purchase for YEARS. Their single player release was originally slated for a late 2015 release according to them and now it's 2022 and it's still "years away". They have had ten years and over 400 million dollars of funding and they are not even in Pre-Alpha yet, but they still want even more funding and keep coming out with even more ridiculous bundles full of things that literally do not exist yet. They are just a promise. A hope.

That is what you are shilling for right now. You both need to step away from the keyboard. Holy crap lol

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Dude they are selling bundles for thousands of dollars that includes ships that don't even exist yet in the game and have not existed despite some of those "ships" being available for purchase for YEARS. Their single player release was originally slated for a late 2015 release according to them and now it's 2022 and it's still "years away". They have had ten years and over 400 million dollars of funding and they are not even in Pre-Alpha yet, but they still want even more funding and keep coming out with even more ridiculous bundles full of things that literally do not exist yet. They are just a promise. A hope.

That is what you are shilling for right now. You both need to step away from the keyboard. Holy crap lol

They don't force anyone to buy expensive ships.

The presence of whales benefits the small fish swimming alongside. Go eat at the Bellagio in Vegas.

No one's forcing you to buy bundles you don't want.

Many people would rather pay to play games in active development rather than wait for final release.

I'm not shilling for anything. I'm trying to get you to understand that human beings have different preferences. Some people like buying Gucci handbags, some like buying expensive cigars, some like buying antique cars. None of it is rational, but fun is in the eye of the beholder.

This is why Star Citizen is making bank in 2021/2022...

Being Han Solo rather than watching Han Solo is fun for a loooot of people.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

So it's me that need to step away, when the only person here that makes a big deal of this is you?

Your not telling me anything i didn't know already.....so there is only one person that needs to step away from the internet right now.

Here are two photos I took an hour ago when I was at a derelict site:

51821071733_17eeb0ee6a_o.png

51821290564_f8f5eea18b_o.png

Enjoy

Last edited:

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member

This must be your first run-in with NI :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Don't let him get to you, people can bitch all they want about a game they've never even played but don't let it effect your enjoyment. I've never played it myself, but I can see there's something interesting going on there that's unique in the gaming space, good for CIG and good for the people that are enjoying the experience. The screenshots look awesome dude!

According to this thread, being entertained by your purchase of Star Citizen is akin to:

- Being kicked in the balls
- Defending your abuser
- Being a sissy woman
- Buying literal snake oil

It's hard to take that stuff too seriously when anyone can try the game for themselves. If you don't like it, that's cool. I've played lots of games I didn't like, some even cost hundreds of millions of dollars to produce. If people want to get hung up on insisting it's a scam that only speaks to their ignorance. 🤷‍♂️

Nobody_Important

So it's me that need to step away, when the only person here that makes a big deal of this is you?
I am? This is a thread about Star Citizen and its failings. A thread I did not make btw. I am just commenting on those failings. That means I am making a big deal about it? By that logic anyone who replies to any thread and stays on topic is making a big deal out of said topic.

And you don't need to include screenshots. I have seen how good Star Citizen looks. Its an amazing tech demo. I never said it wasn't.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

They don't force anyone to buy expensive ships.
Scams usually don't force anyone to do anything. In fact a hallmark of a great scam is that the person getting scammed does it to themselves. The scammer just gives them the option to do so. Because if you try to strong arm someone you might make them nervous and they might back out. A good scam or ponzi scheme will pull the person in and then lay the groundwork for their own failure. Everything is their decision. Their options. That way the sucker losing their stuff feels like they are in charge and are making their own decisions. When in reality its just the scammer pulling on the strings.

In this case its just the company promising new shit and providing "new content" in the form of overpriced bundles full of shit that doesn't exist. Sure they don't FORCE you to buy their stuff, but they obviously imply that in order for the game to release they need funding. No funding = no game. Which means all the time and money you already spent goes to waste. So why not give them more money to help them right? You don't want all of that to have been for nothing right?

It's not hard to see what they are doing. That is literally "Scamming 101" kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Scams usually don't force anyone to do anything. In fact a hallmark of a great scam is that the person getting scammed does it to themselves. The scammer just gives them the option to do so. Because if you try to strong arm someone you might make them nervous and they might back out. A good scam or ponzi scheme will pull the person in and then lay the groundwork for their own failure. Everything is their decision. Their options. That way the sucker losing their stuff feels like they are in charge and are making their own decisions. When in reality its just the scammer pulling on the strings.

In this case its just the company promising new shit and providing "new content" in the form of overpriced bundles full of shit that doesn't exist. Sure they don't FORCE you to buy their stuff, but they obviously imply that in order for the game to release they need funding. No funding = no game. Which means all the time and money you already spent goes to waste. So why not give them more money to help them right? You don't want all of that to have been for nothing right?

It's not hard to see what they are doing. That is literally "Scamming 101" kind of stuff.

It is like talking to the brainwashed. In one ear and out the other. They will continue to justify defending this scam until their dying breath.

Nobody_Important

It is like talking to the brainwashed. In one ear and out the other. They will continue to justify defending this scam until their dying breath.
I guess so. It is just so obvious though I don't understand how people who are defending this shit don't see this for what it very obviously is.

I just don't get it.

luffie

I like this "PLENTY of games have over a decade of development time". Please list 2, go to google now 😂.

inb4 duke nukem

Utherellus

Its not even graphically impressive anymore.
Star Citizen is not about graphics. It's about scale and ambition of world sandbox.

Squadron 42 is about graphics and linear quality adventure.

Studio's cinematic, narrative tools throughout Lumberyard engine are mighty impressive.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I am? This is a thread about Star Citizen and its failings. A thread I did not make btw. I am just commenting on those failings. That means I am making a big deal about it? By that logic anyone who replies to any thread and stays on topic is making a big deal out of said topic.

And you don't need to include screenshots. I have seen how good Star Citizen looks. Its an amazing tech demo. I never said it wasn't.

It’s the way some of you act, think they are above all backers because they “think” they know it all so good. Some are even frustrated that they need to go personal.

I do not see backers posting a wall of text go defend Star Citizen. I only see people posting wall of text who are trying to convince themselves and others that it is a scam without any proof.

Last edited:
Top Bottom