• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Scam Citizen turns eight years old, the single-player campaign still sounds a long way off

Inviusx

Their 5 year plan they put out a few days ago is just another carrot on a stick for the whales. They have the audacity to talk about sequels to Squadron 42 in their 5 year plan yet cannot even commit to a date on the original game. It says a lot about how they treat their playerbase.

"Keep em on the hook, never commit to anything, over promise, under deliver".

The problems with these projects are so obvious and have been so talked to death at this point it's not even worth bringing them up anymore. What I find more interesting nine years after the original crowd funding campaign is who these people are who keep giving them money - especially the "whales". There has been some media coverage about them, and they all fit the worst stereotyping. Mostly child-less, lonely men over thirty who played Wing Commander in the nineties. Nerdy, lonely types who have jobs in IT with good salaries but without children or non-digital hobbies they have nothing to spend their income on - so they give it to Chris Roberts. The only other space where we see this social phenomenon is sects, cults and maybe political fringe parties. It's so sad.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Scams usually don't force anyone to do anything. In fact a hallmark of a great scam is that the person getting scammed does it to themselves. The scammer just gives them the option to do so. Because if you try to strong arm someone you might make them nervous and they might back out. A good scam or ponzi scheme will pull the person in and then lay the groundwork for their own failure. Everything is their decision. Their options. That way the sucker losing their stuff feels like they are in charge and are making their own decisions. When in reality its just the scammer pulling on the strings.

In this case its just the company promising new shit and providing "new content" in the form of overpriced bundles full of shit that doesn't exist. Sure they don't FORCE you to buy their stuff, but they obviously imply that in order for the game to release they need funding. No funding = no game. Which means all the time and money you already spent goes to waste. So why not give them more money to help them right? You don't want all of that to have been for nothing right?

It's not hard to see what they are doing. That is literally "Scamming 101" kind of stuff.

All just rationalizing why the thing you don't like is bad.

Your definition of scam could be used on literally any piece of entertainment in existence. You choose to focus your definition on Star Citizen because you don't like it, while simultaneously ignoring the things it does exceptionally well.

The good news is that your opinion has no bearing on Star Citizens future so we all get to be part of an industry where a small number of AAA developers are doing something extraordinary.

The problems with these projects are so obvious and have been so talked to death at this point it's not even worth bringing them up anymore. What I find more interesting nine years after the original crowd funding campaign is who these people are who keep giving them money - especially the "whales". There has been some media coverage about them, and they all fit the worst stereotyping. Mostly child-less, lonely men over thirty who played Wing Commander in the nineties. Nerdy, lonely types who have jobs in IT with good salaries but without children or non-digital hobbies they have nothing to spend their income on - so they give it to Chris Roberts. The only other space where we see this social phenomenon is sects, cults and maybe political fringe parties. It's so sad.
The real question is why does it bother you so much. Some people have children to deal with life while some have other avenues of distraction. You could go the rest of your life without ever paying attention to Star Citizen and its development but instead you are here condemning it. It betrays a sort of resentment that doesn’t naturally spring from someone who just thinks it is sad and not worth bothering about.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

You talk about nerds on a gaming forum…how ironic. Happy to see you described yourself, what a fucking idiot post.

It must be hard if this all bothers you so much. This is what i said before…people go personal for no reason, this shows how you are and not the other way. Bullies react exactly the same way, acting like they are everything and thinking they are always right. But meanwhile, they are incredibly insecure and hide behind a mask.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You talk about nerds on a gaming forum…how ironic. Happy to see you described yourself, what a fucking idiot post.

It must be hard if this all bothers you so much. This is what i said before…people go personal for no reason, this shows how you are and not the other way. Bullies react exactly the same way, acting like they are everything and thinking they are always right. But meanwhile, they are incredibly insecure and hide behind a mask.

Looks like the astroturfer's mask is falling folks.

Don't worry, maybe daddy Chris will take notice of all the free damage control you are trying.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Continued threats of violence will earn you a swift removal.
Looks like the astroturfer's mask is falling folks.

Don't worry, maybe daddy Chris will take notice of all the free damage control you are trying.

If it doesn’t bother you guys, i see no reason why you guys need to go personal?

Is that because you happen to have a shitty life yourself and then project it onto others? Apparently there is nothing left on your list of arguments.

It almost looks like it because of that. Who do you think you are? I hope you and a few others here don't have such big mouths in real life. It will not end well for you.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
If it doesn’t bother you guys, i see no reason why you guys need to go personal?

Is that because you happen to have a shitty life yourself and then project it onto others? Apparently there is nothing left on your list of arguments.

It almost looks like it because of that. Who do you think you are? I hope you and a few others here don't have such big mouths in real life. It will not end well for you.
You complain about getting personal and then accuse people of having shitty lives and not so subtly imply that they would get beat up for their views in real life.

Nice. 👍

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You complain about getting personal and then accuse people of having shitty lives and not so subtly imply that they would get beat up for their views in real life.

Nice. 👍

What do you think would happen in real life? Be realistic, this is exactly what bullies do in real life. Big mounth, attack others personally for no reason. He accused people in the first place, maybe he needs to look in the mirror first.

You in the other hand giving them the right to do. I say it again…yes it won’t end well for people acting like that if they do it in real life. You can say whatever you want, But they will naturally come across the wrong person.

Wasn’t B Bradamante3D his reaction not a little pathetic in your eyes? If not, then your not even better them him.

Last edited:

Doczu

Wait, they still haven't released Star Citizen or Squadron 42? Like really?
Holy shit this has to be the longest going joke and scam in gaming history, i could make a dozen of games in half the time with their cash.
I could revive dead IPs people are hoping to come back. I could open a studio and make games i have dreamt about since i was a child.
I completed God knows how many games on many systems since this was announced. I got my bachelor degree, had 3 jobs, got engaged, married, bought a house and fathered two sons.

And these guys can't deliver a single game? I've read articles that this will fail in i think 2016 or 17. It's been 6 years since then and the game is still not out.

A console generation was born, thrived, died and was replaced with the next one.

Mods, please give out "Dunce" tags to the SC defense force. Please.

Phase

Wait, they still haven't released Star Citizen or Squadron 42? Like really?
Holy shit this has to be the longest going joke and scam in gaming history, i could make a dozen of games in half the time with their cash.
I could revive dead IPs people are hoping to come back. I could open a studio and make games i have dreamt about since i was a child.
I completed God knows how many games on many systems since this was announced. I got my bachelor degree, had 3 jobs, got engaged, married, bought a house and fathered two sons.

And these guys can't deliver a single game? I've read articles that this will fail in i think 2016 or 17. It's been 6 years since then and the game is still not out.

A console generation was born, thrived, died and was replaced with the next one.

Mods, please give out "Dunce" tags to the SC defense force. Please.
I'll play this game when it goes free-to-play in 2028.

I like this "PLENTY of games have over a decade of development time". Please list 2, go to google now 😂.

inb4 duke nukem
No shit, I'm going to look at google, I'm not a fuckin' database. Don't be a smug piece of shit.
Off the top of my head:
Halo Infinite - 6 Years
Horizon Zero Dawn - 7 Years
The Last of Us Part II - 7 Years

Googled
God of War - 5 Years
The Last Guardian - 9 Years
Final Fantasy XV - 10 Years
Duke Nukem Forever - 15 Years (Horrid dev team)
Prey (Original) - 11 Years
Diablo III - 11 Years
Alan Wake - 6 Years
Mafia II - 6 Years
Shenmue - 6 Years
LA Noir - 7 Years

In that, none of them were ever as big as Star Citizen is promised to be, and none of them could you play before they went Gold. So a 10+ year development cycle, plus the scope, scale and detail they're striving for is acceptable. I'm sure with a game so large, some features didn't work with others and some features came at a cost. There were plenty of unforeseen bugs, I'm sure. How would you do better? How would you develop a game that spans lightyears without loading?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
No shit, I'm going to look at google, I'm not a fuckin' database. Don't be a smug piece of shit.
Off the top of my head:
Halo Infinite - 6 Years

Googled
God of War - 5 Years
Diablo III - 11 Years
Alan Wake - 6 Years
Mafia II - 6 Years
Shenmue - 6 Years
LA Noir - 7 Years

In that, none of them were ever as big as Star Citizen is promised to be, and none of them could you play before they went Gold.

I think people also always forget that CIG needed to start from scratch. They had to build everything from studios and hire staff, develop tools etc etc.

And right now, they are one of the largest game developers in the world.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I heard people wanted some raw gameplay?

This is live right now. One of the largest community events in Star Citizen.

Last edited:

Doczu

We saw Minecraft rise to heights never seen before, No Mans Sky released, got panned by everyone and went through an incredible redemption arc. Cryptocurrency became a thing. And SC is still years off.
Maybe we got it wrong? Maybe it's light years, not years? That would make sense.

Man i can't wait for them to try a new way to suck cash out of peoples pockets - NFTs. You heard it here first.

ShadowNate

Didn't they say 2 years back in 2019 for SQ42 beta? The beta that, of course, never happened.
Seems like it's always 2 years. Now look at this new shiny thing and forget about that.

Nobody_Important

"plenty of games have had over a decade of dev time".
Goes ahead to list 10 games with less dev time.., I guess more than a decade means more than 5 years now.
Not to mention all of those were made for a fraction of the over 400 million that Star Citizen has swindled out of it's "playerbase".

What a joke lol

Moneal

Not to mention all of those were made for a fraction of the over 400 million that Star Citizen has swindled out of it's "playerbase".

What a joke lol
4 on the list had a dev time of over a decade. 2 restarted and were both released within 5 years of their restarts(Diablo 3 and Prey). Final Fantasy 15 changed scope from spin off to Mainline title and released within 5 years of that happening. Duke nukem forever had at least 2 different dev teams take up the project.

All of those had issues that cause many games to just be canceled. Luckily for fans those got second lives. I wonder what Star Citizen's excuse for a decade of dev hell is?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"plenty of games have had over a decade of dev time".
Goes ahead to list 10 games with less dev time.., I guess more than a decade means more than 5 years now.

Games, especially Star Citizen, are waaaaay more complex today than they were 10, 20 years ago.

What a joke lol

Please Google "Modern game budgets".

Nobody_Important

Games, especially Star Citizen, are waaaaay more complex today than they were 10, 20 years ago.

Please Google "Modern game budgets".
You should go do that. Because there is no game that has released in the last 10 years with a budget of over 400 million.

Star Citizen is the first game listed and it's release date says "TBA".

Thats awfully optimistic of them lol

Last edited:
4 on the list had a dev time of over a decade. 2 restarted and were both released within 5 years of their restarts(Diablo 3 and Prey). Final Fantasy 15 changed scope from spin off to Mainline title and released within 5 years of that happening. Duke nukem forever had at least 2 different dev teams take up the project.

All of those had issues that cause many games to just be canceled. Luckily for fans those got second lives. I wonder what Star Citizen's excuse for a decade of dev hell is?
It’s fucking massive. They built the engine. And if I remember correctly they switched to 64-bit and boast double precision floating points. This allows for the vast reaches of space but also tiny interiors of ships. Most game devs can barely handle their own engine tech. For instance Halo Inifinites game models twitch in single player because of the vastness of the game. It’s not huge, but the models appear unstable because the engine can barely handle it. Now take something like Star Citizen that’s attempting the vastness of space and seamless loading down to the pebble and you have yourself a technical marvel of a game.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You should go do that. Because there is no game that has released in the last 10 years with a budget of over 400 million.

GTA V was one of the most expensive I think it only cracked 250 million.

Money has nothing to do with dev time. Maybe you should not compare Star Citizen with these games but Squadron 42.

People need to stop pretend like Star Citizen will get a release. It's an MMO that will continue to be in development. What will be the difference for you if they remove the label from "alpha" to official "release" tomorrow? it's not like it will change anything content wise in a day.

Squadron 42 will get a normal game release, Star Citizen will not. Also most on the devs are working on Squadron 42, not Star Citizen.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Money has nothing to do with dev time. Maybe you should not compare Star Citizen with these games but Squadron 42.
Suggesting money and dev time have no connection is massively ignorant on your part.
People need to stop pretend like Star Citizen will get a release. It's an MMO that will continue to be in development. What will be the difference for you if they remove the label from "alpha" to official "release"? it's not like it will change anything content wise in a day.
If they removed the "alpha" to "official release", they will show that they have a piss poor excuse for a released product that is miles behind games that released 20 years ago in content.
Squadron 42 will get a normal game release, Star Citizen will not. Also most on the devs are working on Squadron 42, not Star Citizen.
So we have been promised for years now. And still nothing. Keep on with that damage control, sonny.

Fare thee well

Neophyte

Man I was looking at that. Fascinating stuff. I had NO idea Cyberpunk had that much pumped into it. Man, maybe if they spent a little less on marketing.... 😄

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Ribi

The budget for SC isn't 400 tho. It's what's been raised and split into sq42 and SC. Here's something to blow your mind. Fortnite raised a billion before it was ever "released" it was in beta for a while. Interesting ain't it? No one seems to complain about that early access there

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Suggesting money and dev time have no connection is massively ignorant on your part.

If they removed the "alpha" to "official release", they will show that they have a piss poor excuse for a released product that is miles behind games that released 20 years ago in content.

So we have been promised for years now. And still nothing. Keep on with that damage control, sonny.

I forgot i had you on ignore. The way you act is childish. You don’t know me, So stop belittling me. We can have a normal discussion without that nonsense of yours “sonny”.

Who do you think you are? Did i hurt you or something?

Tyler Perry School GIF by Nickelodeon

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I forgot i had you on ignore. The way you act is childish. You don’t know me, So stop belittling me. We can have a normal discussion without that nonsense of yours “sonny”.

Who do you think you are? Did i hurt you or something?

Tyler Perry School GIF by Nickelodeon

Says the person who literally called me a "bully", that I had a "shitty life" and that I was going to be "beat up". Dude, you are the most childish, mental person in this thread.

This was literally only a few hours ago and your post is still there for all to read. Seek help.

Last edited:

luffie

Off the top of my head:
Halo Infinite - 6 Years

Googled
God of War - 5 Years
Diablo III - 11 Years
Alan Wake - 6 Years
Mafia II - 6 Years
Shenmue - 6 Years
LA Noir - 7 Years

In that, none of them were ever as big as Star Citizen is promised to be, and none of them could you play before they went Gold. So a 10+ year development cycle, plus the scope, scale and detail they're striving for is acceptable. I'm sure with a game so large, some features didn't work with others and some features came at a cost. There were plenty of unforeseen bugs, I'm sure. How would you do better? How would you develop a game that spans lightyears without loading?
See? SEE?? This is what I'm expecting lolll, "just pick any game with less development time and call them smaller scope!" Oh the copiummmm. Turns out there isn't many games made over a DECADE. And those that did weren't developed continuously, they were in development hell.

There is 0 games that took 10 years to develop continuously.

How much copium do you need to say this now? "So a 10+ year development cycle, plus the scope, scale and detail they're striving for is acceptable"

None of the game can be played before gold.... because they aren't empty promises! They don't sell a jpeg ship beforehand when it is not even in game yet!

Someone mentioned that they need to find studios etc..... lol, did Chris didn't think of that when he promised you the game is out in 3 years? Did he need to start from scratch when he missed sq42 deadline by 5 years?

Kojima started everything from scratch and in 3 years Death Stranding is out and is now going to produce another finished game before sq42 is out.

See? SEE?? This is what I'm expecting lolll, "just pick any game with less development time and call them smaller scope!" Oh the copiummmm. Turns out there isn't many games made over a DECADE. And those that did weren't developed continuously, they were in development hell.

There is 0 games that took 10 years to develop continuously.

How much copium do you need to say this now? "So a 10+ year development cycle, plus the scope, scale and detail they're striving for is acceptable"

None of the game can be played before gold.... because they aren't empty promises! They don't sell a jpeg ship beforehand when it is not even in game yet!

Someone mentioned that they need to find studios etc..... lol, did Chris didn't think of that when he promised you the game is out in 3 years? Did he need to start from scratch when he missed sq42 deadline by 5 years?

Kojima started everything from scratch and in 3 years Death Stranding is out and is now going to produce another finished game before sq42 is out.
But it's true. Twist it any which way you want.

luffie

But it's true. Twist it any which way you want.
You are the one that twist it, i really can't catch up with the mental gymnastics and deflection.

You mentioned PLENTY of games took over a decade, I asked for proofs, then you came back with PLENTY of games with less than decade.

And there were exactly 0 games games has a decade of continuous development. You took FFxv, which was effectively paused because Nomura was working on something else, and revamped from scratch, and everything else were development hell.

Now you call me twisting it? Lol, tell me how much Chris is paying you.

Doczu

The budget for SC isn't 400 tho. It's what's been raised and split into sq42 and SC. Here's something to blow your mind. Fortnite raised a billion before it was ever "released" it was in beta for a while. Interesting ain't it? No one seems to complain about that early access there
Fortnite "released" in beta in a more complete state than SC is after all these years. It was updated regularly, with a nice plan laid out for everyone. They mostly sticked to it.

Minecraft released as a super pre alpha game around the same time as SC was announced and till today it is updated and changed. The biggest difference is that Mojang/MS have a development plan.
Notch even "released" the game years ago cause he knew they would never, ever complete it - it's an evergrowing product.

I can go on, and on, and on

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You are the one that twist it, i really can't catch up with the mental gymnastics and deflection.

You mentioned PLENTY of games took over a decade, I asked for proofs, then you came back with PLENTY of games with less than decade.

And there were exactly 0 games games has a decade of continuous development. You took FFxv, which was effectively paused because Nomura was working on something else, and revamped from scratch, and everything else were development hell.

Jeez..calm down. It was a kickstarter in the first place. How you think that works? The only thing they created at that time was a small concept of what they had in mind. It was a small team of 13 developers together. You can’t start building hondereds of studios, if there is no demand.

The scope changed because people wanted more then what the project was at that time. I wasn’t interested in their first scope of the project because most of the scenes like landing on a planet was automated. You couldn’t do it yourself. Planets only had hero locations without being able to land anywhere. I jumped in 2016 when they showed planet tech for the first time and 64bit precision.

A lot of people here are completely disconnected from this project, and only read what they want and see on the internet. The ship buying part was always a thing from the start to back the project. At the same time, these ships are available in-game.

Last edited:

luffie

Jeez..calm down. It was a kickstarter in the first place. How you think that works? The only thing they created at that time was a small concept of what they had in mind. It was a small team of 13 developers together. You can’t start building hondereds of studios, if there is no demand.

The scope changed because people wanted more then what the project was at that time. I wasn’t interested in their first scope of the project because most of the scenes like landing on a planet was automated. You couldn’t do it yourself. Planets only had hero locations without being able to land anywhere. I jumped in 2016 when they showed planet tech for the first time and 64bit precision.

A lot of people here are completely disconnected from this project, and only read what they want and see on the internet. The ship buying part was always a thing from the start to back the project. At the same time, these ships are available in-game.
lol, you guys need to slow down with the lies. I'm asked to calm down when I've called out the lies of another fanbois?

I'm not interested in your stories, you can do whatever you want. But I'm calling out the lies you guys spewed all the time.... like "At the same time, these ships are available in-game."

Lol wut???? CI got sued precisely because they sold jpeg ships that weren't even in game.... theu don't even exist! 😂 So much so that they have to put a disclaimer "will be available in the future"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...-over-marketing-concept-ships-in-star-citizen

Snake29: " Calm down, stop exposing our lies all the time" 😂😂😂

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
lol, you guys need to slow down with the lies. I'm asked to calm down when I've called out the lies of another fanbois?

I'm not interested in your stories, you can do whatever you want. But I'm calling out the lies you guys spewed all the time.... like "At the same time, these ships are available in-game."

Lol wut???? CI got sued precisely because they sold jpeg ships that weren't even in game.... theu don't even exist! 😂 So much so that they have to put a disclaimer "will be available in the future"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...-over-marketing-concept-ships-in-star-citizen

Tell me, why should people only be interested in your bullshit?

Lies, scam, fanboys, cult...nothing else to say anymore? those list of arguments are getting weak.

I'm not interested in your stories, you can do whatever you want. But I'm calling out the lies you guys spewed all the time.... like "At the same time, these ships are available in-game.

Proof any lies, You can't even argue yourself ? You haven't...let's say nobody has proven anything then repeating themselves constantly. "WE JUST SCREAM, WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING, BUT WE JUST LIKE TO SCREAM AND TALK SHIT".

According to Eurogamer, a complaint was submitted to the ASA by Reddit user Mazty, who wrote that they were "fed up of CIG and the constant lies."

The complaint follows a July marketing email that encouraged Star Citizen players to buy a "concept ship" before it leaves the store. The email fails to disclose that the ship in question -- the Gatac Railen -- does not actually exist within Star Citizen yet.

This one person must be:

- New to Star Citizen
- Has seemingly not read up or informed himself about this.

Look that the one comment in that post, This is how it is from the start:

Original disclaimer did mention that concept ship was NOT flyable and that a loaner ship will be provided until release.
More than 1 million individual backers did read and understood it as clear as the financial model si to sale concept ship to pay devs, since the' very beginning of the kickstarter till now.

CIG just adapt to specific UK regulation. Disclaimer have never been an "issue" in any others country what so ever.

But you would happily ignore this and still would say that it is a lie. Here..for you, the loaner list:

These concept ships are there since the beginning. It's nothing new. Some ships go straight to flight ready..some will be put on the backlog for a future patch. Only the media and some weird screaming people like you act as if this is something new. The fact you didn't know that says already enough since concept ships are nothing new. but it also doesn't surprise me since most here their arguments are rather superficial and not at all in-depth.

Oww....wow not any valid argument is coming from you....only screaming LIES LIES LIES...

Go fucking cry in a corner or something....

Last edited:

Mental gymnastics? You're the one that moved the goalposts to your idea of continuous development. You want to be right so bad it hurts and you want to shit on this dev team with every ounce of your soul. Personally, I don't care so much but this dev team is doing things no one else has which deserves leeway.

Last edited:

Doczu

Man they were selling NFTs before NFTs were a thing. The difference is everyone bought the same jpg and no one has ownership 😂

Top Bottom