• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Star Wars Epi 8 is delayed... Star Wars: Visceral probably meets the same fate.

This is not a bad thing though, no no!!

Today comes the annoucement of Star Wars Epi 8 being delayed to Dec. With piror info, it seems certian that Viscerals game was supposed to launch next to it. At this point it's seems likely that EA will delay it with Epi 8.

Why is this significant?

This game already has 2.8 years of development under its belt. It would have been an even 4 years May 17. 4.6 years Nov 17. Not to nention the fact that for over 2 of those years it will have an additional studio helping. This has the potential to be the biggest non-Bioware game EA has ever made, and its fucking Star Wars, a franchise that desperately needs a good SP game again.

Still I think a vaild question can be asked, what way do you want this game to go?

Stay at May 17, push back to Nov 16, push forward to Nov 17?

Quick recap.

May 2013
EA announces license acquisition of Star Wars. Visceral confirmed to be working on Star Wars game.

Game is confirmed to be detached from new trilogy. Various leaks and rumors point to this being a third person cover shooter, story focused, open world action Rpg, with ship flying, and potentially Smuggling based, with Han Solo featured in some form.

April 2014 - Amy Hennig joins project as creative Director and brings several people with her. It's not known how game development shifted, but it seems it didn't shift far, if at all.

June 2015- Jade Raymond announced new EA studio, which will be assisting Visceral on their Star Wars game.

Dec 2015- EA has a stockholders call in which they say not to expect an annual Star Wars title. All but confirming a 2017 release date for Vicersals game.

Job posting "leaks" several things about the title including; a class based system, world economy, boss fights, skill system etc.

nooooooo_luke_skywalker.gif

I want to play it as soon as possible ;_;

I dunno.

I think we get Star Wars Visceral possibly sooner, maybe around Rogue One this fall.

I think we get Battlefront 2(/4) when Episode VIII comes out.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I doubt it will make much of a difference to the game's release date either way. It's gonna sell nomatter when it arrives.

Battlefront 2 will release alongside VIII IMO.

bluexy

I think it'd definitely be in EA's interest to delay it so they can ride the Star Wars 8 marketing wave that will be hitting that holiday season.

I have a feeling that Battlefront was and will be used as a foundation for all Star Wars games going forward. They've got the engine solid and running at 60fps, they've got Star Wars assets in at the highest quality possible with current technology.

It'll probably cut down on development loads going forward.

5taquitos

I have a feeling that Battlefront was and will be used as a foundation for all Star Wars games going forward. They've got the engine solid and running at 60fps, they've got Star Wars assets in at the highest quality possible with current technology.

Yeah, I expect at the very least that all of the assets will be used in future titles, they're incredibly detailed and accurate in BF.

Who said it was coming out in May?

What word would you use then? Seriously. If a game has an internal target and misses it it was still delayed.

No one said it was releasing in May, but things seemed to point that way pretty clearly. Not necessarily May, but late spring in general.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dunno.

I think we get Star Wars Visceral possibly sooner, maybe around Rogue One this fall.

Agreed.

I knew that "delay" was going to happen. December is very good to them for holiday releases.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't even know if I'm looking forward to the game, because it hasn't been announced. Battlefront was very lackluster.

EA would be fools not to ride the gravy train again in '16. The number of Battlefront sales due to the movie launching is hard to nail down to a specific number, but it was basically free advertising.

shandy706

Well they can still release it in May to co-incide with the 40th anniversary of A New Hope.

Any word or rumors out there on if we're getting the original (unedited) trilogy in HD anytime soon?

(this question is directed at anyone)

I figured that would be the time for it to release.

Haven't there been some whispers about this being an open world title?

After all, I thought the news out of EA after Raymond's hire was that it was chasing down an "Assassin's Creed"-style game to put on the market.

EDIT: Yup:

EA Studios Vice President Patrick Soderlund said:
"We've never really operated in the largest genre of gaming, and that's the action genre. That's the Assassin's Creed-style games; more open-world, more single-play versus multiplayer. It's not been an area that we've operated in," he said. "We recently hired Jade Raymond, who was behind the Assassin's Creed franchise for Ubisoft and she will be building an action genre for us through a studio we're building out in Montreal right now."

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Any word on if we're getting the original (unedited) trilogy in HD anytime soon?

I figured that would be the time for it to release.

Disney is working on the originals, unedited with no special edition features on BluRay. They wanted them to come out for TFA release window, but ran into technical issues which delayed the project. So as far as we know, it is still coming.

I dunno.

I still doubt that. This games not a secert. Feels weird not mentioning it in the last conference call, and even going as far to say NOT to expect a Star Wars game this year. Focus seems solely on Battlefield and Mass Effect for 2016.

EpicBox

I don't see this affecting games that tell separate stories to the films.

Pretty sure the movie delay is because of a script rewrite. Which has become necessary due to the fact that it was previously written before The Force Awakens released and now fan feedback has made them reconsider some parts of the story.

shandy706

Disney is working on the originals, unedited with no special edition features on BluRay. They wanted them to come out for TFA release window, but ran into technical issues which delayed the project. So as far as we know, it is still coming.

Good!

I can't watch the edited crap.

I saw the originals as a child...I want my originals back. Day 1 purchase for me!

I don't see this affecting games that tell separate stories to the films.

Pretty sure the movie delay is because of a script rewrite. Which has become necessary due to the fact that it was previously written before The Force Awakens released and now fan feedback has made them reconsider some parts of the story.

Well no, the "delay" is because EA wants to capitalize on the films. Same thing happened with Battlefront. It was scheduled for summer and was pushed back when Epi7 was.

Why do games take so long to get made now?

4 years seems crazy to me. Im not saying I don't want quality, as the acceptance from gamers of unfinished games that have to get patched just to make them payable is unacceptable to me; with more money and resources than ever for this industry, is a 4 -6 year development really necessary?

I like to use Titanfall for an example, was the end product something you feel justifies a 3.5 year development? I didn't.

Why do games take so long to get made now?

4 years seems crazy to me. Im not saying I don't want quality, as the acceptance from gamers of unfinished games that have to get patched just to make them payable is unacceptable to me; with more money and resources than ever for this industry, is a 4 -6 year development really necessary?

I like to use Titanfall for an example, was the end product something you feel justifies a 3.5 year development? I didn't.

HD assets are expensive and time consuming.

I dunno.

Agreed. I believe Battlefront will be biannual with the major episodes with other games inbetween.

By no annual release, I dont think the entire franchise was what was meant, just a specific title like Battlefront, which would remain true in this schedule.

But they havent shown the game off at all yet which isnt EAs MO, so maybe it will be another year. That sucks though. One SW game a year should be the absolute minimum. I need me my juice.

Squire

Banned

Yeah, they're absolutely cataloging those assets for use between games.

What word would you use then? Seriously. If a game has an internal target and misses it it was still delayed.

No one said it was releasing in May, but things seemed to point that way pretty clearly. Not necessarily May, but late spring in general.

You're operating almost entirely on hypotheticals here and then arguing them. You're asking what else we would call a delay without even knowing what the original target date was/is or if the status of it was ever changed or will be changed because of a shift in the movie's release.

What I think is: There's no delay. The target release was never this fall or even May of next year. I personally always figured this was a Fall 2017 game at the earliest.

Star Wars is in season all year round. They're not producing games directly tied to this trilogy (so far) and thus I don't think they're trying to release right next to them like they're tie-ins; they're not.

Top Bottom