• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ashley's Ballistics Removed from Resident Evil 4 Remake

John Bilbo

The deep irony of all of this is that the original is more empowering to women.

What exactly was wrong with a woman standing up for herself in the face of being objectified?

So now we just have to pretend objectification doesn't happen at all anymore in 2023 compared to in 2005?

*checks instagram*

Nah it's still very much here.
The reality is still the same, but one is expected to pretend things are different.

Only in the right context one is allowed to speak the truth.

James Franco GIF

GHG

Gold Member
Same difference, to me. Maybe it is driven by obnoxious woke bulldozing behind the scenes, but I would probably do the same and pull back the amount of creeping on the teenager. It's a sensible thing to at least consider. "Modern audiences" is generally code for a whole bunch of bullshit. In this case though, I feel like the audience is on average really is older and has more women in it than it did back then. Broken clock right twice a day thing.

Yeh I think if people generally end up liking the adjustments then it's more coincidental than it is by design. They made their intentions clear and unfortunately the reasoning behind it is misguided.

FingerBang

What a blow to Latino representation. Wow.

Jokes aside, it's an obvious change of tone for being a little more realistic. That line is really cringe.

The deep irony of all of this is that the original is more empowering to women.

What exactly was wrong with a woman standing up for herself in the face of being objectified?

So now we just have to pretend objectification doesn't happen at all anymore in 2023 compared to in 2005?

*checks instagram*

Nah it's still very much here.
Yep. This is exactly what's our current society is about: denying reality when like you said it's still very much here (and even more than before).

I think, the creepy part here was not the line of the villain (villains are bad, so they can be creepy), it is more the horny camera man, focusing on her boobs :D

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't understand why Resident Evil is taking itself so seriously now. Did they forget their campy horror roots?

RE3 Remake and Village are beyond campy. Like Evil Dead territory. Its just on a game-by-game basis nowadays.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
2023 everyone....just wouldn't fly now.

We still have the original, and I'm sure all of us own it on like 3.6 million platforms.

She's still got them. Just gotta get rid of that god awful jacket

resident-evil-4-game-informer-2942730.jpg

EDIT: Oh we're talking about the line. Yeah, that's a travesty. They'll probably also remove her hitting on Leon, Adas big dick joke to Krauser, and Leon hitting on hunnigan. I'm hoping "you pervert!" after looking up her skirt sticks around
“You pervert” was probably the first thing they got rid of with the upmost urgency. Well, at least she’s attractive.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Well, Ashley sounds a lot less whiny and entitled, but I thought that was her whole thing being a pampered daughter and her story arc, which she became less prissy as the story went on. Can't fully remember all her story tbh tho.

Luis looks bitchmade tho, he's skinnier and Leon's just pushing up on him, he seems less confident and arrogant.

As for the line being removed? I mean whatever, it was just a small part of RE 4's cheese.

It does make me wonder just how much they're gonna 'serious' it up tho, because that leaves the 4 foot tall Napoleon gorilla in the room to tackle.....

I already don’t like Luis in the remake. He’s supposed to be a suave Spanish Vigo Mortensen, that can’t woo the ladies, but that’s part of his charm. Instead they just made him a generic creep acting/looking guy. So generic.

MMaRsu

Banned
Well, Ashley sounds a lot less whiny and entitled, but I thought that was her whole thing being a pampered daughter and her story arc, which she became less prissy as the story went on. Can't fully remember all her story tbh tho.

Luis looks bitchmade tho, he's skinnier and Leon's just pushing up on him, he seems less confident and arrogant.

As for the line being removed? I mean whatever, it was just a small part of RE 4's cheese.

It does make me wonder just how much they're gonna 'serious' it up tho, because that leaves the 4 foot tall Napoleon gorilla in the room to tackle.....
Not as much cheese, listen to the Merchant dialogue, its not cheesy or cool at all. Just sounds lame now

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeh I think if people generally end up liking the adjustments then it's more coincidental than it is by design. They made their intentions clear and unfortunately the reasoning behind it is misguided.

Misguided ?

because they removed the ballistics line ?

come on man you're just doing performative outrage here :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

yurinka

What a blow to Latino representation. Wow.

Jokes aside, it's an obvious change of tone for being a little more realistic. That line is really cringe.
I thought he was Spanish...
Yes, Luis is Spanish but here in Europe we call 'latinos' people from European countries like Spain, Italy or Portugal, the ones with languages that descend from Latin.

The ballistics comment specially today sounds rude, but here in Spain wasn't back then. I had an inside joke with a female friend years ago where we both openly nicknamed Hiroshima and Nagasaki her -let's say not flat- boobs and joked about it.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yes, Luis is Spanish but here in Europe we call 'latinos' people from European countries like Spain, Italy or Portugal, the ones with languages that descend from Latin.

The ballistics comment specially today sounds rude, but here in Spain wasn't back then. I had an inside joke with a female friend where we both openly nicknamed Hiroshima and Nagasaki her -let's say not flat- boobs and joked about it.

Funny I'm... was in Europe, I have traveled to Spain multiple times and never heard Latino outside of America.. its weird, it makes sense but I've just never encountered it.

Learn something new everyday.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
but here in Europe we call 'latinos' people from European countries like Spain, Italy or Portugal, the ones with languages that descend from Latin.
What? I'm from Spain and it's the first time I hear about this. :goog_relieved:

For us, or me at least, latinos are people from latin america.

Fuz

Banned
Not in Italy. "Latino" is (usually) south-american for us. Maaaaybe spanish.
And latin language - I believe - has nothing to do with it.

The ballistics comment specially today sounds rude, but here in Spain wasn't back then. I had an inside joke with a female friend years ago where we both openly nicknamed Hiroshima and Nagasaki her -let's say not flat- boobs and joked about it.
Visual proof needed.

Last edited:

GymWolf

What? I'm from Spain and it's the first time I hear about this. :goog_relieved:

For us, or me at least, latinos are people from latin america.
From my italian point of view, we usually use latinos not for the language but for brownish skinned people, so it could apply to portugal and spanish people but i never heard anyone calling italians latinos because we are generally more white skinned in comparison.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol those tits in the original.

Im anti woke as the next gaffer but im glad that kind of stuff is toned down. I do like her fiesty attitude in the first game. They shouldve removed the giant tits but still have him hit on her.

She looks stunning in the remake. Great character model.

GymWolf

lol those tits in the original.

Im anti woke as the next gaffer but im glad that kind of stuff is toned down. I do like her fiesty attitude in the first game. They shouldve removed the giant tits but still have him hit on her.

She looks stunning in the remake. Great character model.
She is 20 years old in the game dude, i could understand if she was a minor, but she is basically an adult.

You can have fiesty but we can't have busty?

Madflavor

The line should be removed. Not everything from RE4 has aged well. We’re talking about a scene where two characters meet each other, and the first thing he says to her is a comment about her tits. It’s weird, very creepy, immature, and out of place.

“How bout some overtime?” Is another one. This young girl just went through a traumatic experience where she was kidnapped, her body was violated, she was chased by literal monsters, and had to escape a creepy castle and island, and the first thing she wants to do when she escapes is for Leon to run a train on her.

New Ashley is probably going to be 10x better and less annoying that OG Ashley.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Damn I hadnt seen anymore of this game since the reveal.
It looks incredible.

Have they actually fixed the hair dithering with their engine is was this just running on a PC and downsampled.
resident-evil-4-remake-2-1676294391.jpg

Either way.
This day one for me.
Ive liked all the REmakes so far, I doubt they are gonna disappoint me now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It looks incredible.

Have they actually fixed the hair dithering with their engine is was this just running on a PC and downsampled.

No the dithering is still there, at least we can be 100% Capcom doesn't do bullshit game play clips. Everything they've shown is in-engine.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
She is 20 years old in the game dude, i could understand if she was a minor, but she is basically an adult.

You can have fiesty but we can't have busty?
I dont know what to say. It just looks weird. I laughed at how out of place it looked. sure she can have big tits but that just looks cartoony.

darrylgorn

Looks like he mentions missiles in this version, so I'm not seeing the issue.

They probably thought the original line was too corny for the new art direction.

GymWolf

It looks incredible.

resident-evil-4-remake-2-1676294391.jpg

Either way.
This day one for me.
Ive liked all the REmakes so far, I doubt they are gonna disappoint me now.
Really? It looks graphically incredible to you?

Yeah ada looks good, as it was for re2 remake she is BY FAR the best looking character.

Top Bottom