• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ashley's Ballistics Removed from Resident Evil 4 Remake

Sorry I should have clarified. I don't mean one and done villains like Nemesis, Mr. X, or Jack Baker. I meant actual long lasting franchise villains, like Wesker, Akuma, Nobunaga, Sigma, Vergil, etc.

Oh I see. Yeah, I agree then. They really haven't tried though as far ask I can recall.

I think that the fact that 4 was so successful, while also being the game in which they abandoned the Umbrella narrative, might be more of the cause than Wesker's death though. Especially because 5 and 6 returned to the core story with middling success, and 7 was praised for revitalizing the franchise while again (mostly) disregarding the overarching plot.

History has shown that episodic RE stories are often received better than mainline plot ones, which is especially relevant now when the series itself is probably older than half of its expected player base.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Wesker being alive or dead isn't the actual problem. The problem is that the writers couldn't figure out how to incorporate a new charismatic big bad afterwards. RE 6, Revelations 2, RE 7, the three CGI movies, and RE 8 all kind of failed at this.

I think RE7 and 8 benefit from *not* having a charismatic big bad or trying to create a villain that can span multiple games.

I think RE7 and 8 benefit from *not* having a charismatic big bad or trying to create a villain that can span multiple games.
Specifically for those games I agree. In their own vacuum they are great post-wesker experiences. The issue is when you bring in other post-Wesker games and movies that I've listed in that quote(I think Revelations 1 also counts), and then it suddenly feels like they're spinning their wheels on where the future lies with the lore, stories, and characters.

For most people, it's only been 7 and 8 right after 6 so things feel fresh. For those deeper into RE lore like myself, who sucker themselves into playing spinoffs and watching the CGI movies(because they're canon), I keep waiting for the actual next step instead of yet another epilogue chapter to RE 5.

I don't know if this is the best comparison, but in certain ways, RE 7 and RE 8 feel like the MGS Peace Walker and MGS V of Resident Evil. All 4 are wonderful games to play and are highly rated to me just to be clear, and honestly on a side note I personally feel that nothing will touch MGS V's gameplay-feel and mechanics for years to come. Narratively though, I'm left with a somewhat 'unfinished' feeling because both franchises decided to keep going after a definite finale and epilogue(RE 6).

Last edited:

I haven't gotten to playing those games yet (or even RE6), but that a good way of looking at it.

RE1-3 has its own style of gameplay and plot development, RE4-6 similarly had their own style, so RE7-9 should probably follow suit.

I also enjoy the "serious reimagining" angle that Capcom has been going with in the RE1-4 remakes. I like to think of them as complementary, instead of outright replacements.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Specifically for those games I agree. In their own vacuum they are great post-wesker experiences. The issue is when you bring in other post-Wesker games and movies that I've listed in that quote(I think Revelations 1 also counts), and then it suddenly feels like they're spinning their wheels on where the future lies with the lore, stories, and characters.

For most people, it's only been 7 and 8 right after 6 so things feel fresh. For those deeper into RE lore like myself, who sucker themselves into playing spinoffs and watching the CGI movies(because they're canon), I keep waiting for the actual next step instead of yet another epilogue chapter to RE 5.

I don't know if this is the best comparison, but in certain ways, RE 7 and RE 8 feel like the MGS Peace Walker and MGS V of Resident Evil. All 4 are wonderful games to play and are highly rated to me just to be clear, and honestly on a side note I personally feel that nothing will touch MGS V's gameplay-feel and mechanics for years to come. Narratively though, I'm left with a somewhat 'unfinished' feeling because both franchises decided to keep going after a definite finale and epilogue(RE 6).

I would definitely agree with Revelations 1. A near perfect return that I think helped push the series on its current trajectory.

I do love the lore, but I like the more loosely connected stories that all tie back to the original mansion and Spencer/Umbrella. I never did watch the CG films though, so I am unaware of how those work. Revelations 2, Umbrella Corps, ReVerse, Resistance - all are just bad games IMO. Really felt like the issue for me is less the story and just that they were mediocre games in general that were designed for greed rather than making a fun expeirence. Rev2 trying to jump on the "episodic" train, Umbrella Corps on MP, ReVerse/Resistance in a similar vein with a different MP focus.

The MGS Peacewalker/MGSV are not the things I would compare them to. Mostly because I feel they are the worst games in the franchise and made changes that were detrimental to the overall experience. If anything, they are closer to RE6/Res2 to me. Either way, I am just glad that RE games are must-buy/play games again. I feel like after RE5 they were kind of spinning their wheels (and I will continue to defend RE5 until my dying breath).

The deep irony of all of this is that the original is more empowering to women.

What exactly was wrong with a woman standing up for herself in the face of being objectified?

So now we just have to pretend objectification doesn't happen at all anymore in 2023 compared to in 2005?

*checks instagram*

Nah it's still very much here.
Nah bro you can't speak common sense, that's not allowed!

I like how she scolds you if you try to peak up her skirt. It's funny when things are just in games and you find them out by playing the game. Kind of like the treasure you find for the merchant you meet. 😘

With that said though, I don't particularly believe that horror games should have vendors who sell you arsenal. I mean, it's just a game. So it's probably not meant to be taken seriously. But still.

As if a guy is gonna cart around enough guns to make James Bond blush. 🤭

The only thing that seems woke about the remake is the lack of the RPD and Popstar costumes. The fact that there’s two versions of the former that are already rendered in RE engine tells me they’d either have to go out of their way to not include it or they’re very lazy. Seems like a Capcom USA-influenced decision.
Oyj0ERm.jpg
bleyW2e.png

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
it isn't 'woke' to remove cringey shit like this from the remake. It's like complaining about 'booth babes' being axed from events. The gaming scene needed to grow up and stop plastering tits all over gaming mags.

Honestly, I'm not surprised y'all never get pussy.

Last edited:

GymWolf

it isn't 'woke' to remove cringey shit like this from the remake. It's like complaining about 'booth babes' being axed from events. The gaming scene needed to grow up and stop plastering tits all over gaming mags.

The ballistics are still there.

They just avoid to calling them out.

Sorry buddy.

The deep irony of all of this is that the original is more empowering to women.

What exactly was wrong with a woman standing up for herself in the face of being objectified?

So now we just have to pretend objectification doesn't happen at all anymore in 2023 compared to in 2005?

*checks instagram*

Nah it's still very much here.

Nah, now we have to pretend that 'objectification' as you put it is even an issue worthy of discussion. Oversensitive much?

stickkidsam

Speak for yourself, I love my cats.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Back in my day we had booth babes, cleavage, and sexy characters - and we weren’t canceling games/developers, boycotting anything, hating women, or sending death threats to developers.

The younger generation hasn’t made the scene more grown up. They’ve made it worse.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
Oh, thank God. I thought I was the only one who thought 'y'all' is cringe as fuck.
As someone who grew up in TN and absolutely hates all manner of redneck speak bullshit, I cringe everytime I see someone regurgitating that shit. I honestly find it surreal that so many hick 'isms have become so mixed with popular culture in general; it's so strange to see the same shit racist, uneducated white people were spewing being casually mixed in with the current black led popular vernacular. So odd how everything has fallen together over time.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Imagine celebrating the removal of people's jobs with a serious face. Go back to Era.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The gaming scene needed to grow up
Yes the gaming scene needs to grow up and stop covering their eyes when they see a bit of flesh.
I see worse on a daily basis, seriously outside the silver colour and the bow & big collar this is rather casual wear, and people would cry over it if it was included?
yes, they need to grow up and go out more.
RSz9GNr.jpg

Last edited:

GHound

Think with you here we've got all we need.

Cashon

Banned
As someone who grew up in TN and absolutely hates all manner of redneck speak bullshit, I cringe everytime I see someone regurgitating that shit. I honestly find it surreal that so many hick 'isms have become so mixed with popular culture in general; it's so strange to see the same shit racist, uneducated white people were spewing being casually mixed in with the current black led popular vernacular. So odd how everything has fallen together over time.
You do know that "y'all" is a proper contraction, right? One purpose of an apostrophe is to replace missing letters in a contraction, e.g., cannot=can't, where the apostrophe replaces the n and o to make it shorter.
Similarly, you all=y'all, where the apostrophe replaces the o and u. It's not an "ism," it's just a normal, proper contraction.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Because when you type, you don't need to emulate accents. I mean, imagine TYPING like this: "Ah got som' fiiine sugah for you, baybeh" unironically.

How stupid does that look?
People type the words they often say. Also y'all is faster to type that you all. People also say dude, mate, arse, colour, etc.

What is stupid is having a massive hate boner for this word.

Dr.Morris79

I bet you've got all the ladies lining up with such an adult take :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I do hope you're not a man, if so, sheesh. A man telling other men boobs are bad..

Jesus wept.

Cashon

Banned
Because when you type, you don't need to emulate accents. I mean, imagine TYPING like this: "Ah got som' fiiine sugah for you, baybeh" unironically.

How stupid does that look?
It's not emulating an accent. It's typing a contraction. How stupid would it be to type everything out instead of using contractions? Does not it makes sense to shorten?

stickkidsam

Personally I don’t take much issue with the term “y’all” (anymore) but this shit is funny as hell.

I bet you've got all the ladies lining up with such an adult take :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I do hope you're not a man, if so, sheesh. A man telling other men boobs are bad..

Jesus wept.
Must be one of them gay Catholics.

Cashon

Banned
It's been appropriated by progressives on twitter. I don't know why, it's very weird.
Oh.

So this is yet another thing that simple-minded people have turned into a culture war issue?

People are so irrational and disappointing. I'm referring to both radical liberals and conservatives, for the record. Idiots.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Y’all is an era thing? I thought it was a southern US thing. I’ve been saying it my whole life.

Spent ten years in Louisiana, same.

I think the key is typing it versus saying it. When you say it in actual conversation, it's pretty quickly apparent whether you're a shrieking feminist or a redneck.

Typing, however? Most will automatically assume you're posting from an iPhone at a Pride rally.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It's been appropriated by progressives on twitter. I don't know why, it's very weird.
Can confirm this one--over my 4+ decades of life, growing up largely in the South but also living in cities in Northeast for years (grad school, etc)--I've noticed just across the past decade that "y'all" has suddenly been appropriated by a very different crowd.

Southerners still use it, but now it is also used frequently by the kinds of people who would say any of these idiotic things:
- Yikes
- take a seat
- not a good look

Fatbody

In this day and age, to have a game with a straight white male protagonist portrayed in a positive way while saving a pretty blonde female should supersede any of this minor shit. This might be the last high profile game, remake or original, to be like this. Once the Gen-X aged developers start to retire, the Millennial and under crowd will have total creative control and will usher in a turbo-woke era the likes you’ve never seen. So can we just enjoy these rare gems while they last?

And honestly, I think a lot of this is just astroturfed outage by leftists to discredit valid criticisms of truly woke garbage. It makes no sense to nitpick like this when you have glaring examples to point to like that horrendous Saints Row reboot.

poodaddy

Gold Member
You do know that "y'all" is a proper contraction, right? One purpose of an apostrophe is to replace missing letters in a contraction, e.g., cannot=can't, where the apostrophe replaces the n and o to make it shorter.
Similarly, you all=y'all, where the apostrophe replaces the o and u. It's not an "ism," it's just a normal, proper contraction.
Yeah I know all that.

I also don't give a fuck. Ya say y'all, ya sound fuckin stupid.

Thanks for your time bud.

lachesis

Did they keep that overtime line while Ashley uses her ballistics on Leon’s back, while Leon pulls I got a gf line?

TBH, all that corny lines made me chuckle back then, but I understand if they went with more believable lines.

Top Bottom