• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Infinity Won’t be Free-to-Play

H . R . 2

assassins-creed-logo-1024x576.jpg

“It’s going to be a very innovative game but it will have what players already have in all the Assassin’s Creed games,
all the elements that they love to get in them right from the start,” Guillemot says.
“It’s going to be a huge game but with lots of elements that already exist in the games that we published in the past.”

I am certain it will be a new low unless Ubisoft decides to turn things around by listening to the fans instead of focusing on slaughtering their own IPs with MTX and GaaS

P.S.
get a load of this

"[Blockchain] will enable more play-to-earn that will enable more players to actually earn content, own content,
and we think it's going to grow the industry quite a lot," Duguet said. "We've been working with lots of small companies going on blockchain
and we're starting to have a good know-how on how it can impact the industry, and we want to be one of the key players here."

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Am I missing something - has AC:I released any information on what it exactly is that people are already confident it sucks?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This sounds like an entire game of the menu clutter I've ignored since Brotherhood to click on the tiny STORY MODE option tucked in the corner behind the Usuck shop and the multi-player and the PSN store and all the DLC they want me to buy instead of playing their game.

Fuck this noise. Or, rather, if this noise makes the single player games more free of this bullshit and puts it all into this product, I'm down. But it won't. Let's be honest here. A man with a suit made of stitched up dollar bills isn't happy, he wants a tie made of the same thing.

Spaceman292

Banned
assassins-creed-logo-1024x576.jpg

“It’s going to be a very innovative game but it will have what players already have in all the Assassin’s Creed games,
all the elements that they love to get in them right from the start,” Guillemot says.
“It’s going to be a huge game but with lots of elements that already exist in the games that we published in the past.”

I am certain it will be a new low unless Ubisoft decides to turn things around by listening to the fans instead of focusing on slaughtering their own IPs with MTX and GaaS

P.S.
get a load of this

"[Blockchain] will enable more play-to-earn that will enable more players to actually earn content, own content,
and we think it's going to grow the industry quite a lot," Duguet said. "We've been working with lots of small companies going on blockchain
and we're starting to have a good know-how on how it can impact the industry, and we want to be one of the key players here."

The word "innovative" is always bad news.

kingfey

Banned
This means gamepass day1.

No way, Ubisoft will release this as paid 2 play, without putting it on gamepass.

It will be another disaster for them.

kyussman

I've always enjoyed Assassin's Creed.....more for the historical tourism than anything tbh.They weren't the greatest games or anything but I always liked the worlds they created.Now it will become another online service it's easy for me to say goodbye to it......it was a good run,I had fun.

Shubh_C63

I really thought it would be and it was wise that they addressed it.

Also with the blockchain integration with their games a F2P title made sense to me from their perspective.

VN1X

Banned
I'm so over this "Infinite" or "Infinity" naming scheme when it comes to products like these.

It's the new "Requiem".

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'm mostly bothered by the fact that they managed to launch no less than 12 main-series games plus 12 spin-offs throughout the course of 13 years, all while avoiding making a game set in feudal Japan with Ninjas which is what fans have been asking since day one.
And now they're going to nuke the series into oblivion with the GaaS easy cash grab attempt, all while never giving us a Ninka Assassin's Creed.

Screw this Alex Hutchinson guy, really.
Hey Alex, I'm so sorry that people had the boring idea of having a historical group of assassins in Japan play as assassins in Assassin's Creed.
Maybe it would allow us to do a complete change of scenery, but obviously you know so much better by launching the following 5 Assassin's Creed games in western civilizations. Wow, such imagination Alex. Much diversity of scenery, Alex.

Last edited:

SSfox

Ah Ubisoft, a company that used to make great games. But now it's more like Ubishit than anything.

Sybrix

These games are so boring and mundane, i struggle to understand why they are still so popular.

Ubisoft have done a remarkable job really grinding these games into dust.

OrochiJR

No F2P is good, as long as they present a complete game where they tack the inevitable GAAS stuff on.

My fear would be that it will basically be a barebones basic experience for which we pay a €60 entrance fee and afterwards more for additional season passes, MTX etc. Basically like the last few AC games have been but with a never ending stream of overpriced content and a very lackluster experience with the base game.

H . R . 2

Their fans seem to continue buying their games, and more than ever. So I assume they make rational decisions.
their fans are the people who have played their games for a decade
the majority of those sales figures come from the casuals who got acquainted with gaming during Coivd or teenagers who have very low standards for games so you can keep feeding them the same thing time and again and they won't complain because they have no preconceived notions of what defines a great game . They think ACOrigins is an "RPG" game because they have never played ME1,2
they are not trying to capture a wider audience, they are replacing their fans with a new generation of teenagers who are willing to squander their money mindlessly on frivolous things that don't matter.
this new audience is low-maintenance and more lucrative so unload the skins and operators and keep crapping out the F2Ps

Last edited:

yurinka

their fans are the people who have played their games for a decade
the majority of those sales figures come from the casuals who got acquainted with gaming during Coivd or teenagers who have very low standards for games so you can keep feeding them the same thing time and again and they won't complain because they have no preconceived notions of what defines a great game . They think ACOrigins is an "RPG" game because they have never played ME1,2
they are not trying to capture a wider audience, they are replacing their fans with a new generation of teenagers who are willing to squander their money mindlessly on frivolous things that don't matter.
this new audience is low-maintenance and more lucrative so unload the skins and operators and keep crapping out the F2Ps
You can say exactly the same from all the other big publishers. Excluding the RPG part, since doesn't make sense to require a game to be like ME to consider it an RPG.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

You can say exactly the same from all the other big publishers. Excluding the RPG part, since doesn't make sense to require a game to be like ME to consider it an RPG.
ME was the epitome of RPG so yes it can and should be used as a role model
they wanted to incorporate MTX and found that by throwing in some stats and bulletsponge enemies they can turn their titles into RPGs

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Late teenager/college student: It's so unfair and impossible to stay afloat! Crippling student debt and wages that force me to live paycheck to paycheck!

Same person: I'm gonna pay 15 dollars a month to play Assassin's Creed and buy Saint's Row, a full priced game that reflects my struggles!

Me, still getting a kick out of GBA games: lololololol

Top Bottom