• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla launches this holiday for PS5, XSX, PS4, XO, PC, and Stadia

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
It will be a gameplay teaser tomorrow. Not a cinematic trailer. Plus every game shown tomorrow including Valhalla has been Optimized for Series X. The big gameplay walkthrough for Valhalla will be in June when Ubisoft has it's E3 2020 digital showcase replacement.

Kenpachii

I haven't gone back to the game just because I dread rowing and rowing to destinations. Takes forever.

i bailed after 90 hours, did completed dlc for 100% tho, main game not remotely. then months later came back and had to push myself to get the left over content to be done, took me another 70 hours.

Game needs to be more like its dlc's. smaller area's with better quality content that doesn't take forever.

scalman

I still playing odyssey now for second time with guy, loving exploring everything but when you leveling up too much from side stuff then other missions on lower level become too easy and no good loot too. Thats one problem i find there. They should just give loot from your level not area level.

Last edited:

Jbomb19

Insta-kill hidden blade is back. I'm gonna stabby stabby so many people

Was glad to read this earlier. I think this could help make some people who weren't fans of the combat in the last two games happy.

D.Final

Banned

Cool news

MastAndo

Gold Member
I'm late to the party, but I needed an open world RPG to get lost in, and landed on Odyssey. I adore it - one of my favorite games in recent memory. I don't mind the size of it, since I've got fuck all else to do right now, and I'm not feeling the "grind" I've heard others complain about by just playing it naturally and exploring. I'm just enjoying being in this world, taking my sweet ass time.

It's not without its warts, but I really, really appreciate that it doesn't forget it's a video game. Nose dive off a cliff 200 feet up in the air and be none worse for the wear? Sure, you got it! Player and horse stamina? Forget that. It's also appreciate that the RPG elements are basic and streamlined, as to not overwhelm my tiny brain. I know it's sacrilege to compare anything to the Witcher 3 (my personal GOAT), but I feel like if you merged the strongest parts of these two games, you'd have the greatest thing ever made.

Anyway, I know they're toning down on the massiveness of it all, but if Valhalla continues in this same vein, I'm all in. I'm most certainly looking forward to it.

44 details about Valhalla

Open-World Gameplay and Combat
  • Combat has been altered in some form, with an emphasis on making every hit feel impactful.
  • That includes giving players the ability to dismember and decapitate foes.
  • While Assassins have had two weapons at once before (two swords, for example), Valhalla places a new emphasis on dual-wielding weaponry, with players allowed to mix and match the game's arsenal.
  • Shields return as part of that arsenal after being absent from Odyssey.
  • The assassin's blade returns as well.
  • Throwing axes will be available in Valhalla as one of Eivor's many weapon options.
  • Players will traverse by sea via their Viking longship.
  • Players can spot fortresses from the water to attack with their raiding party in massive raids.
  • Largescale land battles will also be part of the story, though it's unclear if they'll function like Odyssey's army battles.
  • RPG trappings introduced in Origins will return, with new skills, as well as new gear to collect.
  • Open-world activities include hunting, fishing, dice, and drinking games.
  • Additionally, Valhalla will introduce the competitive sport of flyting, aka, Viking rap battles.
  • Eivor, the protagonist, will have a bird companion in the form of a raven, a common addition to the most recent Assassin's Creed.
  • Sieges will be a big part of Valhalla's gameplay, and the first in-engine look at Valhalla offered a tease of what those sequences may play like.
  • As showcased in the reveal trailer, the Assassin's Creed Hidden Blade makes a return in Valhalla. Ashraf Ismail has since confirmed that the blade will allow for one-hit instakills, which has been missing from the series in recent years. (Via Kotaku)

Story and World
  • Valhalla is set in ninth-century England during the Dark Ages.
  • It will follow Eivor, a Viking warrior who leads his people out of Norway and into England to settle.
  • King Alfred of Wessex will be an opponent Eivor and the Vikings face
  • Alfred will be an antagonist, but narrative director Darby McDevitt said it would be wrong to call him the "central antagonist" of the game. (via GameSpot)
  • Where some other possible big antagonists may appear is in the modern-day story, as Ismail also confirmed Layla's modern story from Origins and Odyssey would continue in Valhalla. (via Game Informer)
  • Eivor will eventually run across some group of Assassins in England, though at this time the Assassins and Templars are still being referred to as they were in AC: Origins and Odyssey: The Hidden Ones and the Order of the Ancients, respectively. (via Eurogamer)
  • Valhalla's map will include Norway, which players can return to after the Vikings leave, and the four kingdoms of England: Wessex, Northumbria, East Anglia, Mercia.
  • Major English cities included will be London, Winchester, and Jorvik. (via GameSpot)
  • While Valhalla is not meant to be the end of the series, McDevitt called it a "good capper" to the franchise so far, and should include a lot of nods to the franchise's history (via GameSpot)
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla's protagonist Eivor can be played as either male or female, like in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. But narrative director Darby McDevitt has intriguingly teased that both the male and female versions of Eivor are canon to Valhalla's story. How, exactly, that can be, is a mystery McDevitt does not want to reveal just yet.
  • To address criticisms that Assassin's Creed Odyssey was too long and its world too large, the developers of AC: Valhalla are aiming to have a game that, while still quite large, is shorter and smaller than Odyssey's roughly 60+-hour main campaign. (Valhalla is primarily being developed by a different Ubisoft studio than Odyssey was.)
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla will feature a DLC quest called "The Legend of Beowulf," which will be available as part of Valhalla's season pass. A mission called Way of the Berserker will also be made available to those who preorder Valhalla.

Development
  • Ubisoft Montreal is the lead development studio on Assassin's Creed Valhalla.
  • Ashraf Ismail is directing the project. Ismail and his team previously worked on Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Assassin's Creed Origins.
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla will be the first entry of the franchise for PS5 and Xbox Series X.
  • It is also confirmed for PS4, Xbox One, PC, Google Stadia, and UPlay+.
  • It is set for a Holiday 2020 release window.
  • Ubisoft has confirmed Assassin's Creed Valhalla will be a day 1 launch title for Xbox Series X and PS5, but as we don't have release dates for those two consoles, could not elaborate further on its release plans.
  • Ubisoft has confirmed that "Assassin's Creed Valhalla will run at a minimum of 30 FPS."
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla will feature a score by composers Jesper Kyd and Sarah Schachner, both of whom have composed for the franchise previously. It will also feature original songs by Einar Selvik, whose credits include the History Channel TV show Vikings
Player Choice - Settlement, Customization, and more
  • Like in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, players can choose either a male or female protagonist
  • Gear will also be much more customizable in Valhalla
  • Each piece of gear in the game will be unique (via GI)
  • New customization options include hair, tattoos, clothing, and war paint.
  • Players will be able to make custom Viking raiders for their raiding parties and even share them with friends
  • Players will also get to forge a home for themselves and either Vikings with the focus on building a settlement, your Viking homestead.
  • The settlement will include buildings to upgrade, like a blacksmith, barracks, tattoo parlor, and more
  • Players will have to make choices throughout the campaign, including political and personal alliances, dialogue choices, and more
  • Alliance examples include conducting a marriage to unite clans, while romance options will be available to the player, too (via Eurogamer)

Last edited:

Strider311

I just watched the CG trailer. Some thoughts.

I loved Odyssey, so have very high hopes. Vikings were up there with Samurai/Ninja as theme I wanted most out of an AC game.

On the downside, I worry that the Assassin's Creed aspect of the game will hurt what could be an epic Viking game. Black Flag was an amazing pirate game, brought down by AC elements. The modern day sections and AC elements in Odyssey were the worst parts of the game. I'm concerned by the CG trailer that the hidden blade coming back was supposed to be the "OH SHIIIIIT" awesome moment, because it was the exact opposite for me. I actually grimaced when the blade appeared, because it's a cautious reminder that this is still an AC game, with the potential faults that come along with that.
At this point, I can do without the underlying AC narrative. I come to AC for historical action adventure and stealth. None of the animus/abstergo/assassin/Templar shit matters anymore. It’s fine, but it’s no longer needed.

D.Final

Banned
Bird Companion, detailed by Eurogamer. and hair color changes

For the first time in the Assassin's Creed series, you'll be able to change your main character's hair colour. That detail was one of several announced last night in an hour-long Washington Post livestream chat with Valhalla creative director Ashraf Ismail. A number of different hair styles (and beard styles, if you're playing as male Eivor) will be available.

Just as in Origins, you'll be able to whip your stealthy Assassin hood up or down - although in Valhalla this won't require you delve into the game's menu to do so. And, as previously announced, you'll also be able to customise your Eivor with tattoos and war paint.

Your new crow companion, meanwhile, is named Synin - pronounced "Sue-nin". Writing on Twitter last night, Ismail said the name is meant to resemble the word "insight" in Old Norse.

WCCFassassinscreedvalhallareleasedate.jpg

• Write Your Viking Saga - The advanced RPG mechanics of Assassin's Creed Valhalla give you new ways to grow as a warrior and a leader. Influence the world around you while acquiring new skills and gear to suit your playstyle. Blaze your own path across England by fighting brutal battles and leading fiery raids, or form strategic alliances and triumph by your wits. Every choice you make in combat and conversation is another step on the path to greatness.
  • Grow Your Settlement - Grow and customize your own settlement by recruiting new clan members and building upgradable structures. Get better troops by constructing a barracks, improve your weapons at the blacksmith, discover new customization options with a tattoo parlor, and much more.
  • Share Your Custom Raider - Create and custom

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned

WCCFassassinscreedvalhallareleasedate.jpg

• Write Your Viking Saga - The advanced RPG mechanics of Assassin's Creed Valhalla give you new ways to grow as a warrior and a leader. Influence the world around you while acquiring new skills and gear to suit your playstyle. Blaze your own path across England by fighting brutal battles and leading fiery raids, or form strategic alliances and triumph by your wits. Every choice you make in combat and conversation is another step on the path to greatness.
  • Grow Your Settlement - Grow and customize your own settlement by recruiting new clan members and building upgradable structures. Get better troops by constructing a barracks, improve your weapons at the blacksmith, discover new customization options with a tattoo parlor, and much more.
  • Share Your Custom Raider - Create and custom

Custom Raider?
What they mean?

Viking Diplomacy?

In an interview with Kotaku, creative director Ashraf Ismail talked about Valhalla saying that it would have a “very different” structure than previous games. He didn’t go into detail about exactly what that meant, but that the game’s home base will now be something you have to defend by forging alliances and peace between various factions. That means you’ll have to get political, apparently, and says that diplomacy will be an option more than ever.

“When you set out into the world, to go after whatever that is, you get embroiled into politics,” Ismail says. “You get caught up into a journey. We give options within that. So sometimes, yes, it means that you can, let’s say, negotiate to resolve something.

“The history of the invasion itself in this time period is, of course, a critical part of the journey,” he says. “What did it mean for the Vikings of the Norse to land in England and to cohabitate?”

iorek21

Seen as though Odyssey is my fave game this gen, its annoying that the vocal moaners hava made the game be shorter than Odyssey.

I believe that when the devs say it's shorter, they mean that the game will be less bloated than Odyssey, or at least more varied, with better quality.
Origins and Odyssey had an excessive amount of bandit camps, useless locations and uninspired quests. If by shorter they mean that Valhalla will get less of these and better quality locations/quests, I'll be very glad.

Besides, Valhalla will have the whole England + a bit of Norway + some secret locations (I'm betting France, America and Middle East), so I guess it will be as vast as Odyssey, if not bigger

This is huge. Annoying as fuck that I can't assassinate people in a fucking assassin's creed game because they are 1 level higher than me. The difference one level makes in those games is insane.

Stuart360

I believe that when the devs say it's shorter, they mean that the game will be less bloated than Odyssey, or at least more varied, with better quality.
Origins and Odyssey had an excessive amount of bandit camps, useless locations and uninspired quests. If by shorter they mean that Valhalla will get less of these and better quality locations/quests, I'll be very glad.

Besides, Valhalla will have the whole England + a bit of Norway + some secret locations (I'm betting France, America and Middle East), so I guess it will be as vast as Odyssey, if not bigger
I know what you mean about the bandit camps and forts etc, but if you dont like them, dont do them. I'd rather they were there than not for the people that like them.
I have never understood when people moan about games being too long, especially with open world games where the vast majority of content is optional.
People moan about it, then content gets cut.

Top Bottom