• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla launches this holiday for PS5, XSX, PS4, XO, PC, and Stadia

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I just watched the CG trailer. Some thoughts.

I loved Odyssey, so have very high hopes. Vikings were up there with Samurai/Ninja as theme I wanted most out of an AC game.

On the downside, I worry that the Assassin's Creed aspect of the game will hurt what could be an epic Viking game. Black Flag was an amazing pirate game, brought down by AC elements. The modern day sections and AC elements in Odyssey were the worst parts of the game. I'm concerned by the CG trailer that the hidden blade coming back was supposed to be the "OH SHIIIIIT" awesome moment, because it was the exact opposite for me. I actually grimaced when the blade appeared, because it's a cautious reminder that this is still an AC game, with the potential faults that come along with that.

TheSweeper

I loved the last two AC games and the Vikings setting is awesome. I pre-ordered the CE as soon as it was available.

Romulus

I really question when these companies come out and show cgi as a first impression when they know how badly fans hate that.

Kokoloko85

Plus looking forward to the next gen Assassins Creed. This game will still be in PS4 and Xbox one era engine.

I really hope next gen titles aren’t held back by PS4 Pro and Xbox 1 X standards for long......

nemiroff

Gold Member
lNLvJHR.png

Last edited:

JTCx

Let people hate things. Where's the problem?
From the bottom of my heart, i can't understand what's so exciting about titles like this dripping money and corporate interest from every hole. Absolutely no soul.
And i can't help but hate how this puts far more interesting games in the shadows with the sheer power of money.
It still boggles my mind how people still look forward to these games. I'm just awaiting the incoming microtransaction shitstorm.

Ogbert

I see we English are, once again, the micro-penised, weedy bad guys.

In the immortal words of Psmith, ‘one must not repine’.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
cgi trailers are cool , still raising that level where in game graphics could be , we have in game screens but i guess they wont show yet any next gen in game screens so only this gen for now.
looks good
assassins-creed-valhalla-ps5-ps4-screenshots.original.jpg

and people should think twice before talking about graphics, this thing must run on Xbox one console, so think again , and nobody shown yet next gen screens just this gen .

did you think next gen footage will be different than this ? .. you need to think again and don’t raise your expectations , first of all this is Ubisoft and it’s a cross gen so ..maybe the res and FPS other than that don’t expect super graphics gameplay

wait for First party games .. mind-blowing

CamHostage

I really question when these companies come out and show cgi as a first impression when they know how badly fans hate that.

Not all "fans"; some are hardcore about only caring about gameplay, but the Assassin's Creed crowd is also into the lore and the settings and just the straight-out vibe of each installment, and that's what the teasers are feeding into. I mean, for the longest time, Assassin's Creed was about pressing forward and holding the "do-stuff" button for doing all the traversal, so I'm not sure how much of its sales come from its rich gameplay.

...But also, on a less snarky note, it is still a factor that these next-gen consoles really have not been revealed yet, and publishers are in a bit of a limbo state as far as how much they can show their games off that target those platforms. This was a real problem with PS4/Xbox One, to the point where a select few publishers (mostly Ubisoft and LucasArts, I don't recall if there were others) were showing off games as "next-generation" without saying what console/s the game was being made for. Hellblade and maybe Godfall got around it as special cases (neither was gameplay, of course,) but that didn't open up a floodgate; publishers are still under next-gen embargoes. Even MS, when showing off its Halo Infinity Engine, they're being careful to not say it's XsX footage. Timing is still an important tactic.

Timing has also been severely fucked by the virus. So if Ubisoft wants to announce its game and get hype/preorders going for it (and just throw up their hands at the inevitable Ubi leaks,) they are safe to announce its platforms and show some screens (which, I agree with scalman, are colorful but look very PS4/Xbox to me,) and do a few things, but they may not have full access to release a proper gameplay showcase using the PS5/XSX builds at this time (even though it's a cross-gen game,) and they won't want to use the past-gen game footage to sell it. They could do a video and use "PC footage" (really, it'd all be dev kit and development system footage one way or another,) but since timing of everything is all off with the new consoles in flux and some AAA games losing their release dates and the crowds being stuck at home looking for short distractions from their other distractions from work, it seems reasonably easiest to stay in this teaser phase right now.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Eh, I don't trust this company. Constantly halting progression their games demanding microtransactions to speed it up. They might want to change their name from Assassin's Creed though, not really assassinating anything anymore.

Guilty_AI

It still boggles my mind how people still look forward to these games. I'm just awaiting the incoming microtransaction shitstorm.
"Here's our Double XP Boost for just $14.99 that totally isn't the original balanced version of XP gain!"
"And here's a cool axe design for just $9.99!"

I seriously have a hard time playing games like this. Its feels less like having fun and more that i'm at some dealership where the salesman just keeps trying to sell me stuff.

Romulus

Not all "fans"; some are hardcore about only caring about gameplay, but the Assassin's Creed crowd is also into the lore and the settings and just the straight-out vibe of each installment, and that's what the teasers are feeding into. I mean, for the longest time, Assassin's Creed was about pressing forward and holding the "do-stuff" button for doing all the traversal, so I'm not sure how much of its sales come from its rich gameplay.

...But also, on a less snarky note, it is still a factor that these next-gen consoles really have not been revealed yet, and publishers are in a bit of a limbo state as far as how much they can show their games off that target those platforms. This was a real problem with PS4/Xbox One, to the point where a select few publishers (mostly Ubisoft and LucasArts, I don't recall if there were others) were showing off games as "next-generation" without saying what console/s the game was being made for. Hellblade and maybe Godfall got around it as special cases (neither was gameplay, of course,) but that didn't open up a floodgate; publishers are still under next-gen embargoes. Even MS, when showing off its Halo Infinity Engine, they're being careful to not say it's XsX footage. Timing is still an important tactic.

Timing has also been severely fucked by the virus. So if Ubisoft wants to announce its game and get hype/preorders going for it (and just throw up their hands at the inevitable Ubi leaks,) they are safe to announce its platforms and show some screens (which, I agree with scalman, are colorful but look very PS4/Xbox to me,) and do a few things, but they may not have full access to release a proper gameplay showcase using the PS5/XSX builds at this time (even though it's a cross-gen game,) and they won't want to use the past-gen game footage to sell it. They could do a video and use "PC footage" (really, it'd all be dev kit and development system footage one way or another,) but since timing of everything is all off with the new consoles in flux and some AAA games losing their release dates and the crowds being stuck at home looking for short distractions from their other distractions from work, it seems reasonably easiest to stay in this teaser phase right now.

It's not like ingame graphic reveals are completely out of the ordinary for them, and obviously they'll be showing gameplay very soon anyway. That just makes even less sense.

pawel86ck

Banned
not at 1080p at least. origins and odysey runs fine on gtx 1060 6gb with i7 on laptop almost all maxed on 1080p.

indeed it was awesome. to tell the story before game its very good to show its in best possible way. not many doing it right now. it ouwld be hard to do same with in game footage i think. In game will came next so anyway.
Requirements still looks very high considering it's just 1080p, and remember AC Valhalla will require even better hardware.

VJENQcP.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Requirements still looks very high considering it's just 1080p, and remember AC Valhalla will require even better hardware.

VJENQcP.jpg

Not if you don't max it out. A lot of stuff like volumetric clouds and stuff in Odyssey were huge performance drains and the game still looked great with a few of those settings turned down.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
cool stuff. say what you will about the Ubi formula, they crank these out at regular intervals, and are incredibly consistent.

Reactions: RSB

Great Hair

Banned
For anyone who hasn't seen this Internet gem.

Fuck this asshole!
(guess the OG made money with the meme, somehow ... , dunno how many views it had)

He sued the original uploader for $50,000? Yet there are other uploads of his "pathetic dance"

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
"Here's our Double XP Boost for just $14.99 that totally isn't the original balanced version of XP gain!"
"And here's a cool axe design for just $9.99!"

I seriously have a hard time playing games like this. Its feels less like having fun and more that i'm at some dealership where the salesman just keeps trying to sell me stuff.
I platinumed origins and was a glitched trophy away from platinuming Odyssey and never had to pay for anything other than the initial game

So far so great! I was expecting a feminist viking smashing the English patriarchy. As long as it doesn't take a turn for the woke. I'll be buying my first Assassins Creed since 2.

Guilty_AI

I platinumed origins and was a glitched trophy away from platinuming Odyssey and never had to pay for anything other than the initial game
Thats not a good thing, thats what should be the norm.
That Ubisoft goes out of its way to try and suck your wallet for as much money as it can, is a fact.
Just because a scammer fails to trick someone out of money, doesn't mean the scam is any less bad.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Thats not a good thing, thats what should be the norm.
That Ubisoft goes out of its way to try and suck your wallet for as much money as it can, is a fact.
Just because a scammer fails to trick someone out of money, doesn't mean the scam is any less bad.
But I never really saw the temptation for it either. As I recall I had to go through a few menus to even get to that stuff to spend the Ubisoft points for stuff I could get with those

Guilty_AI

But I never really saw the temptation for it either. As I recall I had to go through a few menus to even get to that stuff to spend the Ubisoft points for stuff I could get with those
The temptation is right there in the marketing material. Announcing the ultimate "golden" version containing everything the game was supposed to have in the first place for almost double the price. Anyone who's weaker to fomo or more susceptible to hype will give in and get that one.
The in-app store is only there in hopes to get some idiot who doesn't know any better to shove out more money, its a nickel and dime stuff.
And i don't think i need to explain the purpose of charging for the XP boost.

And even if none of that affects you, its still hard to ignore the feeling that there's some guy in a suit behind you rubbing his hands while you play.

Got hyped, reinstalled Odyssey, confirmed I still hate it, uninstalled.
It's obnoxious theme park bullshit for retards who need constant stimulation. Origins is a masterpiece of game and world design.

Top Bottom