• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3 Game Informer Details

zaxon

God dammit, this looks and sounds fantastic. Might have to jump back into the series even though I know it'll eventually piss me off with the moronic sci-fi shit.

Madridy

Damn @ the info! The screens look really nice too. I seriously need to start ACB & ACR.

I know that Ubisoft has a +1000 something team working on AC franchise, but is this team segmented somehow?

Wiki says that the AC2 team has been working on this since 2009, Does this mean ACB & ACR have their own dev teams?

Or is it just one huge clusterfuck where everyone is working on everything?! lol

I'm just curious as how Ubisoft are managing this huge team(s?).

Do you mean Washington DC? Wasn't the Capital till 1800.

I believe he was talking about Philly (look at his avatar).

Where you can't climb buildings, because they will chuck batteries at you.

Yes, even though the citizens didn't know how they got them, nor how they were used, they still chucked batteries back then.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yeah, I had a feeling he was half American, half native Indian because of his mixed attire (feathered bow and arrow and tomahawk with an 18th century coat).

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I am very hyped for this. I was pretty let down after Revelations, but this brought me right back into the fold.

So was it was their 'B' team working on Revelations? I wonder what they mean when they say longest dev time since AC1. When did they start?

Loxley

As incredible as this is sounding, I don't want another 2 games with this Connor bloke.

Assassin's Creed 4 should be the modern, Desmond-centric game. I'm personally looking forward to something akin to Mirror's Edge.

I'll never understand why people want a contemporary setting when part of what makes the franchise so unique and exciting are its historical settings. They have almost literally an innumerable number of awesome places and times in history where they could set the game and...you'd just want a normal 2012-set entry? At that point I'd even ask why bother calling it Assassin's Creed when historical settings are synonymous with the name.

If you want to make an argument for a game set way in the future, then I'd be open to that. The idea of a Blade Runner-esque sci-fi Assassin's Creed could be pretty cool, but modern day? No thanks.

Not all the Colonists will be cast as good people, and not all the British will be cast as evil oppressors. They're trying to focus on how both the
Assassins and Templars
viewpoints exist in a gray morality as
the Templars really believe they're saving the world.

Really nailed home with the Revelations DLC too. The
cost of freedom
is a major theme to the series; will be interesting to see how it is expressed this time.

I know that Ubisoft has a +1000 something team working on AC franchise, but is this team segmented somehow?

Wiki says that the AC2 team has been working on this since 2009, Does this mean ACB & ACR have their own dev teams?

Or is it just one huge clusterfuck where everyone is working on everything?! lol

Worked on AC Revelations:

• Ubisoft Montréal
  • Ubisoft Québec
  • Ubisoft Partner Studios
  • Ubisoft Annecy
  • Ubisoft Bucharest
  • Ubisoft Massive
  • Ubisoft Singapore
  • Team Character Shanghai
  • Japanese Version by Ubisoft K.K.
  • Korean Version by Ubisoft South Korea

http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/assassins-creed-revelations/credits

jrDev

Omg, what is this feeling I am having?? I didnt like AC1 so I wrote the series off altogether..,but reading this makes me feel...hype?? :-O now I want to go back and play through all of them before this releases...wtf!!!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Damn @ the info! The screens look really nice too. I seriously need to start ACB & ACR.

Ubisoft had a medium size team working on AC2 since 2009, especially on the new engine and gameplay concepts. They more than likely had all of the story and the gameplay around it ready when AC:B was finished, and then the the AC teams rejoined to do the actual push towards a final content delivery.
I guess Ubisoft has some great managers, for sure, because having to make sure a game actually works when the people working on it are in 6 different countries and almost as much timezones seems utterly incredible to me.

inky

Fuck. If they pull this off I might as well take back everything bad I ever said about Ubisoft. I like the series very much, but this might propel it to a whole new level. I guess it's time to go back and finish Brotherhood.

Emitan

Omg, what is this feeling I am having?? I didnt like AC1 so I wrote the series off altogether..,but reading this makes me feel...hype?? :-O now I want to go back and play through all of them before this releases...wtf!!!

AC2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AC1. Play them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I rephrased the lake/river freezing thing, because the only 100% implication was that the new terrain you get is a lake you can walk on as opposed to not being able to swim.

massoluk

Banned
As incredible as this is sounding, I don't want another 2 games with this Connor bloke.

Assassin's Creed 4 should be the modern, Desmond-centric game. I'm personally looking forward to something akin to Mirror's Edge.

Don't we have enough modern day sandbox game already? Why not Victorian Era UK (London) or Civil War era China (Shanghai, Hong Kong) for the fourth game.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So Gaf, I'm interested in trying out this series. I've heard 1 is nearly unplayable today, so is there much lost if I start at 2? Also, which games in the series are the "must play" and what are the "spin-off/not needed" games? Is everything that came after 2 just filler, like brotherhood?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Combat sounds a lot like Arkham City. They even say Connor is like a predator. I hope it still has it's own identity, but I'd be fine with Batman's Creed: Arkham Revolution.

Jb

So fucking hyped that they seem to be making so many changes to the core mechanics of the franchise.
Also if this game ends in 1783 it basically confirms that they'll have a Brotherhood 2 for 2013 set during the French revolution (1789), right?

Sounds awesome, I haven't played Revelations yet but I will someday. Got a little tired on the formula after Brotherhood, (even though it is a great game) hopefully the longer development cycle will shake things up a bit.

Oh and this summary(and a lot of AC2 actually) reminds me about the comic book character The Phantom. There are some similarities between them.

ultron87

So Gaf, I'm interested in trying out this series. I've heard 1 is nearly unplayable today, so is there much lost if I start at 2? Also, which games in the series are the "must play" and what are the "spin-off/not needed" games? Is everything that came after 2 just filler, like brotherhood?

Read a plot summary of 1. Play 2 and Brotherhood. They are both fantastic.

If you really like the main character or 2 and Brotherhood you will like Revelations.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Fuckin called the huge armies shit. Cannot wait to be in the forest... hunting bears or some shit and hear a distant cannon go off. start jogging in one direction hearing more and more mayhem as you move. Finally coming to the edge of the forest you climb a tree and look out over the fields as hundreds of soldiers line up on each side and go to town on each other.

I'd bet a dollar that at some point in this game you will help an american platoon against some British soldiers and it will be straight up out of The Patriot... cut - duck - stab - roll - dodge - shoot - hack - slash - run - jump - stab .... just flowing your way through a giant mass of assholes killing everything that gets close to you. Just wait ...

so hype.

I'm hoping Assassins Creed 4 is actually pre-World War I. Devs need to take their time and work their way through history.

Dabanton

Leave AC1 it's not very good..just start playing AC2 which is a much better game.

Cat Party

Very ambitious project. The amount of dev time is very encouraging. Now I need to play AssBro and AssRev to get ready for this.

Emitan

At some point the prevalence of guns is going to require an entirely different type of game.

Not if we play as this guy

Jti8p.jpg

I guess Ubisoft has some great managers, for sure, because having to make sure a game actually works when the people working on it are in 6 different countries and almost as much timezones seems utterly incredible to me.

Patrick Plourde explained the dev cycle at a previous GDC event. Basically their core design team has a rigorous spreadsheet standard for deliverables (think excel files with rows of things like: "Ezio moves left at a speed of <1.5m/s>". The number is variable but the programming goal is so exact that it works like a checklist.) Preproduction is exhaustive at trying to nail these all down. Content and spec is then parted out to the different studios. Annecy, Singapore, Montreal all have big roles in what gets done.

There'a still a ton of management/coordination/stress to deal with, but the reason why it works is because the specifics are nailed down. Sort of like a film production, each cog in the machine needs to be exceedingly well prepped, otherwise you get stuck with typical gamedev outsourcing problems.

AC1 is shit, don't play it. You want to know about the story though, so watch it on Youtube or read about it on some wiki.

PLAY AC2. It's a HUGE improvement over AC1 and has great gameplay and the best story. I consider it one of my favorite games of this generation and maybe even one of my favorite games of all time.

Play Brotherhood as well (it improves on AC2 gameplay-wise but the story, while good, is not as interesting). It's a direct sequel to AC2 and you get to visit Rome and the Vatican.

Revelations is a huge disappointment in my opinion: the story goes nowhere, apart from the last couple hours. Also, they added the annoying bomb system and tower defense minigame. Watch it on Youtube because the ending and the Altair flashbacks are worth it.

tl;dr: AC2 > AC Brotherhood >>>>> AC Revelations >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Assassin's Creed

Pie Lord

Sounds interesting. I kind of lost interest in the series after the first game, but I may have to keep an eye on this.

Zeppelin

Sounds like it will be a very different game from previous entries. I'm still not sure they'll be able to offer what I come to the AC games for though. Looks like production values are gonna be insane however.

Zomba13

I'll never understand why people want a contemporary setting when part of what makes the franchise so unique and exciting are its historical settings. They have almost literally an innumerable number of awesome places and times in history where they could set the game and...you'd just want a normal 2012-set entry? At that point I'd even ask why bother calling it Assassin's Creed when historical settings are synonymous with the name.

If you want to make an argument for a game set way in the future, then I'd be open to that. The idea of a Blade Runner-esque sci-fi Assassin's Creed could be pretty cool, but modern day? No thanks.

I personally want that so then they can make countless other games from any point in the past or future. I want them to hurry up and finish the story they established in the first game. I don't want them to drag Desmond's story out forever.
Once they finish of Desmonds story, give us a modern day setting where he uses his skills he got from the bleed effect and modern day Assassin gear to fuck modern templars/abstergo up and save the world then I want to see more historical games. I want historical Egypt, Japan, London.

S0N0S

First numbered AC sequel in 3 years and it sounds like it will be a completely different game! For all the flak Ubi gets, they've continually built upon and/or overhauled the series, one game to the next. However, considering everything I've heard about Revelations though, I'll remain cautiously HYPED.

Also, so glad they decided against doing tower defense again. I could easily see them using that system to defend forts or some shit. I guess they listened to the criticisms from the previous game.

SrUin.jpg

I love how the setting and new gameplay features compliment each other. Most people probably just wanted more of the same in a new, good looking historical setting. Like Egypt or Japan because that's really original in VG land...

Top Bottom