• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3 Game Informer Details

Irish

So could this be an american? Or were there brits who didn't wear red? ^^

(We can post the pics now, right?)

Those are two different images melded together.

I love how you can see the background city in that image though. Looks great.

You do realize that all ACIII threads are pretty much destined to be shitty now based on the last couple of threads we've had, right?

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
621796_20120302_640screen001.jpg

I'm going to take it to myself to answer your question, these pictures are from scans and guy in the blue suit was scanned into them.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Those are two different images melded together.

I love how you can see the background city in that image though. Looks great.

You do realize that all ACIII threads are pretty much destined to be shitty now based on the last couple of threads we've had, right?

Yeah and that's pretty sad. The hood and his outfit are part of the AC franchise! Jeez it's like Snake without his bandana.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
it definitely looks like they've taken heavy inspiration from red dead redemption

which can only be a good thing

Luthos

Sounds awesome. Except for maybe the "constantly moving" bits, depending on how they mean it. During combat that can be cool, but I hate when a game forces me to move all the time. It's like a timer, sometimes I just wanna take my time.

But I still don't have answers to my 2 wishes for the game. (or do I?) I still want the ability to crouch, and to free-aim with ranged weapons. For the second, they said there is no lock-on anymore, so I wonder what that will mean for ranged weapons.

Enco

Never been interested in the AC games (always felt the story was boring/stupid) but this looks pretty interesting.

AC Brotherhood online was fun but AC1/2 sucked to me.

Irish

But I still don't have answers to my 2 wishes for the game. (or do I?) I still want the ability to crouch, and to free-aim with ranged weapons. For the second, they said there is no lock-on anymore, so I wonder what that will mean for ranged weapons.

Um... there's this interesting screen that may indicate just that. Of course, it could also just be a weapon stance.

Muppet345

That is, like, true on an extremely reductionistic level, but as a theory-of-everything it's pretty problematic.
There aren't any "theories of everything." But it's generally true there's a large effort from those nostalgic about American history to ignore how fundamental slavery was to most early American institutions. It wasn't until the mid to late 90s or so when historians like Ira Berlin, Jennifer Morgan and many others started taking a serious look at its pervasiveness. And the theories generally agreed upon today wouldn't make for a very fun videogame, I think.

FyreWulff

Will be interesting to see a full attempt at making a game set in the Revolutionary War "fun" (shot down before because players probably wouldn't find the slower reload of the era's guns fun to use).

Also, it's Ubisoft. They're going to use an era of history where the French are involved.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
my main thing is that they don't make gun users like the ones in revelations because fuck me i hated all those guys in little huts that you can't kill with your sword

Dear god the details of this game...

This is going to be a fucking delight, a real delight. The setting already has me captivated. Most likely will be my favorite.

Greyvvolf

why is he wearing this silly outfit still? it doesn't fit with the time period
Maybe his outfit changes with the seasons? White during winter and brown during the summer. Although I don't think they will completely change his outfit because of the time period.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think it might be time to play Brotherhood for the first time.

*Image*

When I saw the original page, I figured that image would lead to confusion. You see, the original page that the scanshot was taken from had Charles Lee's character model placed over a screenshot of Connor climbing some snowy mountain. Later on in the article, there's a similar case where George Washington's character model is placed over a screenshot of Connor and Washington talking on horseback. Heh, it'd look like there were two Washingtons in the scene if these sites crop that shot the same way.

Plasmid

This 100% makes up for the 2 year wait and 2 sequels between ACII and ACIII.

They are going all out on this game and i cannot fucking wait.

:D.

Fjordson

They weren't kidding about modeling character faces better. The few I've seen are worlds better than the previous games.

Amir0x

Banned
Since I've seen quite a few people confuse the Civil War and the Revolutionary War, and considering the type of information we have now, would anyone be opposed to a topic that goes through the pivotal moments in Revolutionary War history from 1753-1783, along with how it may relate to what we might see in the new ASSCREED game? I love Revolutionary war history so it'd be rad to have discussion about the time period anyway as an aside.

I think it might be of some value, although it sort of skirts the line of OT and Gaming...

CrazyDude

I think Charles Lee is going to be the main or a very major villain in the game. He is seen in the magazine choking a young Connor, as well as the fact that he died in 1782, which be a perfect excuse for an assassination. On top of that, he was known to hate Washington, who is a friend of Connor. He was also happened to marry a Mohawk chiefs daughter during the French and Indian war. It is possible he is the cause for the village that Connor grew up in to be burned. He also happened to have a temper, he was given the name "Boiling Water" by Mohawks.

I think Charles Lee is going to be the main or a very major villain in the game. He is seen in the magazine choking a young Connor, as well as the fact that he died in 1782, which be a perfect excuse for an assassination. On top of that, he was known to hate Washington, who is a friend of Connor. He was also happened to marry a Mohawk chiefs daughter during the French and Indian war. It is possible he is the cause for the village that Connor grew up in to be burned. He also happened to have a temper, he was given the name "Boiling Water" by Mohawks.

Do we know Washington and Connor are friends? I haven't seen anything past Washington's character being central to the game.

CrazyDude

Do we know Washington and Connor are friends? I haven't seen anything past Washington's character being central to the game.

They say in the game the it will be one of the core relationships in the game. I am also going by the screen of both of them riding horses and talking to one another. It's mostly speculation, but I think it's safe to say that both of them are on good terms.

Was there like a natural day/night cycle, though? For some reason I remember it only changing when you'd instigate a mission. Would be better if it continuously changed independent of what you're doing.
Yeah. If you stood still, the day/night cycle would dynamically go about its business. A handful of missions throughout the AC2-Rev had specific times of day for specific missions as you pointed out.

Brohood and Rev even had certain Templar captains that weren't accessible to kill until night time which was a neat touch.

Epcott

Ok ok ok,
I loved AssCreed and AssCreed 2 (did NOT play Brotherhood or Rev, "sad face").

But I like this change in direction.

By change in direction, I mean, going away from the "safe sequel" route of whats been a signature staple of the series (traveling by rooftop, large metropolis exploration, kill/evade/dive in a haystack). I secretly desired something more visceral, involving nature and the wilderness (ala RDR with a hint of MGS3 mixed with AC & AC2 gameplay).

It show's they're not afraid to change the gameplay. I understand the whole "remaining in motion" idea, because in the past installments, one could get use to hiding on tall rooftops, or hiding in a crowd to stalk prey. I can't wait to see how they'll expand on the play, now that it seems to be more lateral than vertical.

My only wish is that they give us a few chapters in London, to bring back that classic aspect, city traversing aspect.

However, story wise, it seems very far fetched to travel there (unless he dies there and never makes it back to America).

My only wish is that they give us a few chapters in London, to bring back that classic aspect, city traversing aspect.

However, story wise, it seems very far fetched to travel there (unless he dies there and never makes it back to America).

Leaving AC4 open for a Victorian setting.

Seeing this evolution of the series, I now feel that Ubi had a lot of balls and nerve releasing yearly sequels with little change. Fans could have gotten sick of this series and felt it'd became stagnant.

Can you imagine it being too late? Where people had already written the series off and didn't care? Even the media wouldn't have put this much attention on the unveiling. Close one I guess.

It seems very likely that Lee will be a villain for Connor, or at least as a patsy who is being controlled by the real Templar leader. He was publicly dissatisfied with being passed over for the commander-in-chief position, and even after the war was over, he continued to speak out against George Washington. At one point in the war, he was captured by the British, so it would be believable if he struck a deal with the Templars to knock Washington down a peg. Plus, Lee died at home in 1782, within this game's timeframe.

They say in the game the it will be one of the core relationships in the game. I am also going by the screen of both of them riding horses and talking to one another. It's mostly speculation, but I think it's safe to say that both of them are on good terms.

I wonder if it would be like detente between the US and the USSR during the Cold War between these two. They aren't friends, but they aren't trying to out and out kill each other. If Washington really is a Templar, perhaps they are men who respect each other and constantly try to convince the other to join their side because they are friends in that way.

Zabuza

Banned
This looks amazing and I think the time period will be fantastic.

I do hope that they release some Assassin's Creed spin-off titles for the Vita or something. Maybe one in a different time period that has a side story that isn't too important to the main story arc.

The Lamp

that's because england is god's chosen country and rays from heaven* pleasantly warm us all year round

*the gulf stream

Please. England is cold as dirt most of the year. Blegh.

/Texan

And I'm willing to be the trailer on Monday's gonna be all CG...which sucks because the CG trailers are hardly ever representative of anything you can realistically do in the game.

Avixph

I know a lot of people don't like Desmond, but I've never minded him...

but I just realized that Desmond's journey pretty much seems to follow Joseph Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces/monomyth idea/archetypical hero's journey, like most heroes. First time I really thought about it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheHerosJourney
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

Can you summarize this please? I don't want to get lost in tv tropes.

I am talking about the imagery though. I don't know how everything will be presented once the game is out. Right now both covers do rub me wrong.

Even the first Spidey had imagery like that if I remember correctly. It is always groan inducing to a non American audience.

Its an American movie that released the summer after 911 set in New York.
those non Americans should get over it, don't go see an American movie based on an American character if a little flag is that annoying to them.

though the flag in 3 was hilariously out of place.

UrbanRats

French revolution happens 6 years after 1783 which is when this game is supposed to end. Would make more sense to make a game revolved around that, but the victorian setting sounds interesting too.

Assassin's Creed 3 --> Assassin's Creed 3: French revolution --> Assassin's Creed 4 Victorian London --> Assassin's Creed 5 Russian revolution

Please Ubisoft, PLEASE don't miss any of these.

Avixph

Assassin's Creed 3 --> Assassin's Creed 3: French revolution --> Assassin's Creed 4 Victorian London --> Assassin's Creed 5 Russian revolution

Please Ubisoft, PLEASE don't miss any of these.

A game set in Russia may never happen since it was coverded in the comic.

Leaving AC4 open for a Victorian setting.

Nah, I'm calling it now. AC4 is gonna be set in the Weimar Republic. And considering how controversial the American flag apparently is, just imagine all the meltdowns when the AC4 cover art has a huge swastika on it!

Top Bottom