• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3 Game Informer Details

Amir0x

Banned
would be kind of weird for the French to try to glorify the French revolution too much, considering exactly what occurred during that barbarous moment in history. It's actually a bit of an embarrassment for the French people

CrazyDude

would be kind of weird for the French to try to glorify the French revolution too much, considering exactly what occurred during that barbarous moment in history. It's actually a bit of an embarrassment for the French people

Americans were pretty disgusted about what took place there as well.

Forkball

The bad thing about it being set in America is they can't arbitrarily shove in foreign languages into the dialogue. That's not bene at all!

The Lamp

Do any of the covers feature Altair/Ezio standing behind a national flag?

Speaking of such games, can anyone think of a few examples. I'm quite tired and drawing a blank.

In none of those games would a national flag on the cover have made much sense considering Italy was split and AC1 took place in different countries.

Even if they did, I can't imagine any Americans pissing on the idea of Italian flag propaganda or anything like that being on a game that takes place in such a country, so I have no idea why in the actual hell people are getting their panties in a twist over a colonial American flag in a game where such an emblem bore great significance during those times.

What was the last French film you watched that was as blatantly propagandistic as The Patriot? Or are we pretending that the US doesn't have a penchant for jingoistic cheerleading now.

That is the difference between seeing the US flag in concept art and seeing other symbols.

And if you think a non-American is not qualified to pass comment, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7mUaKUp8Ho

Perhaps now you have something like a better idea of why people worry.

Now can we put this the fuck to rest now, the GI article makes it pretty clear that they're not going for this angle.

Is there something morally/legally/socially wrong with The Patriot being...oh...patriotic about the U.S.?
Even if there was, as you said, it's clear they're not going for a Patriot angle so people should simmer down. I don't see anything to "worry" about. Is the Betsy Ross flag on an AC game taking place in colonial America going to kick the dogs of non-American players or something?

Also I have no idea where Lewis Black is coming from. People from my country regularly say we are the best country on earth (and that's not uncommon for Latin American countries lol, we are very proud). My father from Europe would boast about his homeland to my friends even when no one was interested. Hilarious that he thinks America is exclusively proud and obnoxious.

pakkit

Banned
MEGA disappoint-athon!

Boston and New York in the 1700s.

So The series went from mega cities & structures to traverse to underdeveloped shacks scattered around.

I'm more interested in navigating the frontier. If they can nail a sort of Assassin's Creed/Red Dead Redemption hybrid of exploration and movement...HNNGHHGH

rataven

I'm more interested in navigating the frontier. If they can nail a sort of Assassin's Creed/Red Dead Redemption hybrid of exploration and movement...HNNGHHGH

Me tooooo. Honestly, I think once we see this game in motion (fingers crossed....come on Monday!), it'll win the skeptics over. These changes seem to be what the series needed after the lackluster reception to Rev. I have a hard time believing there would be much excitement for III at all if they had stuck with the same basic single-city environment as the previous two games.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What was the last French film you watched that was as blatantly propagandistic as The Patriot?

Why does the sight of the US Betsy Ross flag immediately make you think of The Patriot? Are you so unfamiliar with US History that the bulk of your knowledge from this era comes from a dumb movie?

Or are we pretending that the US doesn't have a penchant for jingoistic cheerleading now.

Certainly a not-insignificant proportion of our population in our country are jingoistic, for sure. But patriotism is not jingoism. Just because on a whole Americans love our country and our flag does not mean that the majority of people in our country are jingoistic extremists with an "America! Fuck Yeah!" attitude.

And quite frankly, I'm offended that Americans are constantly painted with this sort of broad brush. That somehow we're all condescending assholes intent on proving how much better we are than everybody else. This line of thinking is as offensive to me as if I was to call the French people "cheese-eating surrender monkeys".

ctrayne

Certainly a not-insignificant proportion of our population in our country are jingoistic, for sure. But patriotism is not jingoism. Just because on a whole Americans love our country and our flag does not mean that the majority of people in our country are jingoistic extremists with an "America! Fuck Yeah!" attitude.

And quite frankly, I'm offended that Americans are constantly painted with this sort of broad brush. That somehow we're all condescending assholes intent on proving how much better we are than everybody else. This line of thinking is as offensive to me as if I was to call the French people "cheese-eating surrender monkeys".

Exactly. Fuck the ignorant haters. You guys are as bad as the jingoists you're making fun of.

Factually incorrect, as already covered in this thread many times over. Educate yourself before posting nonsense.

Brainpower is hard to come by on GAF sometimes. I'm finding Off-Topic more and more appealing these days.

Also, even if it was just running around "undeveloped shacks", why don't people just chill out and see what the developer has in mind? Most of these devs actually do know what they are doing.

ctrayne

We must not visit the same threads in OT then.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of issues over there too, but I find it easier to have reasonable discussion about things. Sometimes us gamers get a too passionate about little details in a game that isn't even out yet.

OMT

The bad thing about it being set in America is they can't arbitrarily shove in foreign languages into the dialogue. That's not bene at all!

Along with the Native language speakers, you'll also have plenty of French speakers as well. If they want to be truly historically accurate, you'd have a lot of German speakers, too. That's not to mention the panoply of African languages that would have been heard during the colonial period, often in hushed surroundings.

ctrayne

Along with the Native language speakers, you'll also have plenty of French speakers as well. If they want to be truly historically accurate, you'd have a lot of German speakers, too. That's not to mention the panoply of African languages that would have been heard during the colonial period, often in hushed surroundings.

What? You mean American history involves lots of different cultures - all in one country? Amazing! I better go look this stuff up. :)

What was the last French film you watched that was as blatantly propagandistic as The Patriot?

There's certainly an unpleasant and sometimes actively offensive element of boastful jingoism to American culture, as just about anyone from the US participating in this discussion will agree. But this kind of assumption that the presence of any symbols of America of any kind obviously means chest-bumping jingoistic idiocy (even when, errr, the game is made entirely by non-American people) is also pretty obnoxious.

Also, building an entire argument around a single film from twelve years ago by a lowest-common-denominator director of awful, stupid films really just makes you seem ignorant here. If it was really as cut and dry as the comparisons to this awful movie I'd think people would have something more recent to cite as an example.

Is there something morally/legally/socially wrong with The Patriot being...oh...patriotic about the U.S.?

Well, I'd say there's something wrong with it being a lie-filled sack of garbage, at least. It really is a bad enough movie that's outright deceptive enough about history that I'm willing to call it morally wrong.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I'm not going to comment on this any more because the GI article makes very clear they're not going for that kind of angle, but I certainly don't think all Americans are like that and made pretty clear earlier that wasn't the basis of my worries.

Now let's all put this behind us and kiss and make up out.

Being a bit of a history geek, I think it would be cool if the Jacobins in the AC-verse were started up by a radical break-away group of assassins who believed urgent action was needed to prevent the old regime from returning, but things get out of hand and they end up becoming this monstrous, chaotic force.

The Deist beliefs of Robespierre (Cult of the Supreme Being) could tie in with the whole ancient race thing.

Amir0x

Banned
George-Washington-Freemason-Hidden-Hand.jpg

by the way remember that George Washington gets a piece of Eden if the Subject 16 puzzles are right. In the photo above, the piece of Eden is hidden in Washington's hand.

Kinyou

Ubisoft is so lucky that it was tradition to rub your nipple while being painted. Gave them many opportunities.

tino

Banned
Is there any good and easy to read dramatized historical novel set in the revolution war period?

I don't want something really accurate, just something in the style of "The Other Boleyn Girl" to set me in the mood for the era.

I can't believe I am so hype for the game I am looking for fanfic material now.

Damnit GAF, why must you toy with my emotions?!

I went to Futureshop to reserve my copy of AC3 and pick-up the steelbook case.

No dice. They didn't have the cases, and the salespeople I talked to didn't even realize it was in their system.

It was, so I pre-ordered it to make sure just in case.

For the guy that got his steelbook case, what city are you in? I'm in Vancouver.

I really want that damn steel book case! I went to a local Best Buy on Saturday but there weren't any displays about AC3 and when I asked a guy he has no clue. He was telling me that it wasn't announced and there were just rumors of AC3. I mentioned that no, it was announced and it releases on Oct. 30th. Either way, that trip was purposeless. I started searching on Google when I was linked to this page. Nothing about the steel book case right? WRONG. Pull up the page source and you get this:

BestBuy.com said:
<!-- START ROLLOVER 11 -->
<style>
#banner_11{background:url(http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/abn/2012/tg/pcon/sub_ACsteelbook0304.jpg) no-repeat !important;margin:0;padding-right:180px}
#banner_11 h2{font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;font-size:16px;font-color:#000000;margin:0;padding:0 0 0 20px;border-top:1px solid #FFFFFF}#banner_11 p{font-family:Arial;font-size:11px;font-color:#000000;margin:0;padding:0 50px 0 20px}
#ro_height_11{height:180px;}
</style>
<div class="fo_rollover">
<div class="fo_rollover_top"></div>
<div class="fo_rollover_middle" id="ro_height_11">
<div id="banner_11" class="fo_banner">
<h2><em>Assassin's Creed III</em> Collector's Edition</h2><br>

Protect your game with this free metal case. When you pre-order a version of the game below, the collectible case will automatically be added to your cart.
<br><br>Items may ship separately. While supplies last.<a href="javascript:eek:penOfferDetails('1218346592777','cat12178');">See offer details.</a></p>
</div>
</div>
<div class="fo_rollover_bottom"></div>
<div class="fo_rollover_point"></div>
</div>
<!-- END ROLLOVER 11 -->
Let me clean up that nasty code a little bit:
BestBuy.com said:
sub_ACsteelbook0304.jpg

Assassin's Creed III Collector's Edition
Protect your game with this free metal case. When you pre-order a version of the game below, the collectible case will automatically be added to your cart.
Items may ship separately. While supplies last. See offer details.

While the actual page mentions nothing about a steel book the code clearly does so it is obvious Best Buy is ready to announce the pre-order bonus. Hopefully tomorrow is the day they start selling these things as I am going to visit my local GameStop and try get a case from there instead as my Best Buy is at least 25 minutes away.

Avixph

Can someone make a pre-OT for Assassin's Creed III were all the pre-released information can go? That way we won't have multiple threads for similar information as they are released.

Irish

Can someone make a pre-OT for Assassin's Creed III were all the pre-released information can go? That way we won't have multiple threads for similar information as they are released.

Those never work out, so we don't do them around here.

UrbanRats

No more megathreads allowed, IIRC.

Anyway, wasn't there a countdown? I can't find it :\

UrbanRats

Thanks (i was looking on the game informer site).
I love AC's CG trailers, but i hope they keep that for E3 or something, because right now i want to see this new engine in motion.

Irish

Thanks (i was looking on the game informer site).
I love AC's CG trailers, but i hope they keep that for E3 or something, because right now i want to see this new engine in motion.

Nah, give us a one-two punch right from the get-go. CG and gameplay.

Famassu

Hmm.. kind of would've preferred for this to take place in Japan, so maybe we could've finally gotten a big budget Tenchu (but with the fluidity of Assassin's Creed). But after reading all the info about this, this still seems like it will be an interesting take on the AC franchise.

Hmm.. kind of would've preferred for this to take place in Japan, so maybe we could've finally gotten a big budget Tenchu (but with the fluidity of Assassin's Creed). But after reading all the info about this, this still seems like it will be an interesting take on the AC franchise.

Meh. There are tons of places that take place in feudal japan, or fantasy settings heavily inspired by feudal Japan. If I want that, there are places to get it.

Name the number of great games that take place during the American revolution. It's a much smaller group.

Avixph

Can someone create a badge or symbol Assassin's Creed fans can place on their avatars.
Just like the on my avatar or the one creepy Gaf sport.

George-Washington-Freemason-Hidden-Hand.jpg

by the way remember that George Washington gets a piece of Eden if the Subject 16 puzzles are right. In the photo above, the piece of Eden is hidden in Washington's hand.

Thats kinda funny, the hand in the vest/coat in that form is a symbol for the Freemasons.
527px-Washington_1772.jpg

All this over the flag in some art. I don't remember any of this being mentioned over
Red_Dead_Redemption_Box.jpg

though its not as highlighted.

Famassu

Meh. There are tons of places that take place in feudal japan, or fantasy settings heavily inspired by feudal Japan. If I want that, there are places to get it.

Name the number of great games that take place during the American revolution. It's a much smaller group.
True, but American Revolution and other somewhat similar historical events are much more prominent in movies & such, whereas I haven't really seen too many (at least somewhat serious/"realistic"/historical) takes on Ninjas. It's usually some anime-ish stuff or over the top action.

tino

Banned

If this game keep going to the most famous period of a country, it may still visit French when Napoleon Bonaparte show up. And then we have British industry revolution.

Can you name any famous Japanese period? This series is too popular in the west to be based on any Eastern countries. Maybe a portable game.

rataven

I am such an AC dork. Have spent the last hour or two watching old trailers. The CG stuff is so good, leagues better than just about any other series, but I've always dug the ACII gameplay trailer. Ezio has swagger for miles in that vid.

And for III, I think it's in their best interest to show gameplay tomorrow too. Give us a look at what they've been working on for three years. Show off the upgraded engine and let the combat shine. Throw in a few quick cuts of the new story and setting to help ease any lingering doubts. Then save the glorious CG trailer for E3.

I'm hyped for this because of the setting of because of dat tomahawk. Which reminds me, I should really finish up Assassin's Creed II at some point. I'll probably skip Brotherhood and Revelations entirely, though.

Kem0sabe

Why does the sight of the US Betsy Ross flag immediately make you think of The Patriot? Are you so unfamiliar with US History that the bulk of your knowledge from this era comes from a dumb movie?

The problem is, and speaking as an European who has to deal with U.S military personal every day (live on an island with a u.s air force base), the image american´s pass to the locals here is of a bunch of drunken frat boys who can´t handle European beer and come on to every single local girl in sight.

I´m not saying that the U.S should be reduced to such crass stereotypes, but playing nicely with others would go a long way to improving points of view.

Back on topic, i would love an AC game based in the wilderness for once, and from what i can see... this one stands ready to deliver that. \o/

AngryMoth

Are there any other games from this gen that have displayed battles on the scale of having 1000 character on screen? Heavenly Sword? I can't think of any others. I have the distinct feeling that they won't live up to the image in my head on current gen technology.

If this game keep going to the most famous period of a country, it may still visit French when Napoleon Bonaparte show up. And then we have British industry revolution.

Can you name any famous Japanese period? This series is too popular in the west to be based on any Eastern countries. Maybe a portable game.

French Revolution period is a must for AC series

The problem is, and speaking as an European who has to deal with U.S military personal every day (live on an island with a u.s air force base), the image american´s pass to the locals here is of a bunch of drunken frat boys who can´t handle European bear and come on to every single local girl in sight.

I´m not saying that the U.S should be reduced to such crass stereotypes, but playing nicely with others would go a long way to improving points of view.

Back on topic, i would love an AC game based in the wilderness for once, and from what i can see... this one stands ready to deliver that. \o/
Have we lost troops to these European bears? =P

Top Bottom