• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 4 video comparison - PS3 vs PS4

Loakum

Banned
We can't pass any judgments on "vibrancy" here due to the questionable methods by which this Youtuber captured these videos. This is not a guy you can trust when it comes to accuracy.

None of these versions will be "natively" washed out. Whether it appears washed out will depend on variables that you can control, basically.

That won't the case, believe me.

I agree. Which was my point. We've seen plenty of direct feed PS4 walkthroughs of AC4 (I mean PLENTY) and the colors always looks vibrant. It's pretty obvious the YT video itself, is the cause of the washed out colors.

d5TKX8L.png

There are times in the video where I wonder if he confused ps4 footage with ps3 one though.

I've officially entered bizarro world. In 30/60 FPS comparison threads I'm the one saying there isn't much difference. However in this comparison I can't believe that people are saying they can't tell the difference. Just look at the water. The PS3 version is far more blurry in order to hide the lack of detail. This blurriness to conceal lack of detail isn't only confined to the ocean but it is most obviously shown there and for any objects in the distance.

Difference will only be more clear playing on the consoles on a big HD tv.
This vid is compressed (and still the difference is obvious in tyhis first generation crossgen multiplat game.

Seanspeed

Banned
I agree. Which was my point. We've seen plenty of direct feed PS4 walkthroughs of AC4 (I mean PLENTY) and the colors always looks vibrant. It's pretty obvious the YT video itself, is the cause of the washed out colors.

After my experience with Shadowplay today, uploading a 1080p/60fps video to Youtube and seeing how CRAP it looks afterward, I'm of the opinion that Youtube is a terrible, terrible medium for showing off games, especially if we're talking about comparison videos. You do not get the full appreciation of 1080p whatsoever. Not even close.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I am as excited for this gen as much as the next zealot...

but damn... the very definition of "diminishing returns". Honestly looks great, but I'm wondering if this gen will be defined as "open the damn muddy/screen door already!!" Better textures and crisper models are about all I'm expecting for the next 8 years I guess.

None of this stuff is present on PS3 and none of it can be seen in this comparison video for obvious reasons. This type of foliage is available in the PS4 version but definitely NOT on PS360U.

ibl7W6uyEqqQWH.gif

ipFTbjn79X2j9.gif

Xum0Wvd.gif

jBsuknk.gif

MsksIZy.gif

ifcYv5diVTOZf.gif

I seriously think a lot of those features like the weather physics are exclusive to the PC version and maybe physx based with nvidia cards. I hope I'm wrong. It's just really hard to believe anything Ubi puts out for their games these days. With all the bullshots they release and then hearing that the ps4 demoed stuff was half ps4 and the other underwater segments were PC with the ps4 button prompts.....its all super fishy. I will not be convinced until I have the game booted up on my PS4 in a couple weeks. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Binabik15

Not much of a difference outside of res in that vid. But the real difference would be a lot more obvious once you compare full screens instead of halfed screens, since the upscaled image will be stretched even more. The gifs are damn tasty, though. I might get AC4 if there's weather like that, looks like RDR storms <3

Uplay is still a thing on pc, yes? And they're adding it to console versions? I might not still not get it then

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I seriously think a lot of those features like the weather physics are exclusive to the PC version and maybe physx based with nvidia cards. I hope I'm wrong. It's just really hard to believe anything Ubi puts out for their games these days. With all the bullshots they release and then hearing that the ps4 demoed stuff was half ps4 and the other underwater segments were PC with the ps4 button prompts.....its all super fishy. I will not be convinced until I have the game booted up on my PS4 in a couple weeks. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

?? I thought they already said that Tomb Raider's "PC hair" was technically possible on the new systems? Most of those look similar. (TresFX or whatever..)

People need to remember that comparing youtube videos of next gen games is never a good idea. A 1080p image is going to lose more than a 720p PS3 game. In other words, the difference in clarity and sharpness is bigger than it appears in these videos.

My biggest concern here is the "washed out look". I hated it when third party games had this problem on PS3. Gonna be really pissed if it's once again an issue on PS4.

My biggest concern here is the "washed out look". I hated it when third party games had this problem on PS3. Gonna be really pissed if it's once again an issue on PS4.

This wasn't really a "problem" on the PS3 because you can change the gamma setting in the game menu and have the exact same colors as the Xbox 360 version. Only the default setting was different on both consoles.

Loakum

Banned
After my experience with Shadowplay today, uploading a 1080p/60fps video to Youtube and seeing how CRAP it looks afterward, I'm of the opinion that Youtube is a terrible, terrible medium for showing off games, especially if we're talking about comparison videos. You do not get the full appreciation of 1080p whatsoever. Not even close.

True. That's why I usually wait for Blim's Gamersyde vids. They always seem to have the best resolution.

Gemüsepizza;87824758 said:
This wasn't really a "problem" on the PS3 because you can change the gamma setting in the game menu and have the exact same colors as the Xbox 360 version. Only the default setting was different on both consoles.

Yes, and also in the system settings by changing the RGB range from "limited" to "full"

Raist

Banned
Other differences I've picked up watching it again:

There seems to be overall a lot more stuff casting shadows in the PS4 version:

Probably a bit of the mast, on his back

faW7nag.png

Only the cannon and the largest piece of the ship on the left cast shadows on PS3. A lot more things on PS4. Again the shadows are a lot smoother.

GfSaZ4H.png

Reflections on water:

There's a soft reflection of the island on the sea in the background on PS4. Nothing at all on PS3.

mlBhxmM.png

will I get lost playing AC4 when I skip AC3,? also, the only AC I've beat is AC2, I skip brotherhood and the next one.

Brotherhood is actually really good. That was the first time it implemented the chain attacks with enemies. Also they had awesome challenge rooms in the animus that had sweet combat and traversal stages. Disappointed they never brought it over to the other games.

will I get lost playing AC4 when I skip AC3,? also, the only AC I've beat is AC2, I skip brotherhood and the next one.

I guess there will be a short video at the game start which tells you what happened before - at least there was one at the beginning of AC3 if I remember correctly.

Ashes

Banned
Gemüsepizza;87816466 said:
Found a video comparison of Assassin's Creed 4, PS3 vs PS4 version. It's an ingame cutscene at the start of Sequence 3 (maybe slight spoilers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HIHH_PNwcVE

It probably doesn't really show all features of the PS4 versions, but I guess it's better than nothing.

One of those consoles is about 8x more powerful than the other one. The only saving grace for the dev is that they are comparing in game CG, YouTube compression and 30fps.

Brotherhood is actually really good. That was the first time it implemented the chain attacks with enemies. Also they had awesome challenge rooms in the animus that had sweet combat and traversal stages. Disappointed they never brought it over to the other games.

I enjoy the immersion and feeling of being a badass assassin in AC2 time period, but I really can't get myself to enjoy the story. I want to, but I get lost with all the conspiracies, all the different assassination target etc. I don't remember any of the target in AC2 and end up having to force myself to beat it, and with the wtf ending, I just get even more lost.

I actually have Brotherhood on steam, but when I tried to play a little bit at the beginning, I just don't care much about the story, and the novelty of being badass assassin in that period wear off a little after AC2.

AC3 time period really interest me until the bad impression on neogaf so that's why I skip it.

Gemüsepizza;87824758 said:

Uh, I played plenty of PS3 games that never gave me the option to adjust the gamma setting. In fact, most games didn't give you that option.

UberTag

Well, that's some next-gen looking water.
Can't wait until we see next-gen applied to the rest of the game. Maybe next year.

What a shit port.
Why? In a crossgen game you won't get much more than higher res. Higher res textures, better lighting, better shadows, better effects, better AA, etc. All things that add to te pleasure of watching the game being played.
Or did you expect it to be a completely different game?

UberTag

Why? In a crossgen game you won't get much more than higher res. Higher res textures, better lighting, better shadows, better effects, etc.
Or did you expect it to be a completely different game?
The fun part will be when people come to the unfortunate revelation that cross-gen games with pretty water will be largely what we receive from third-parties until late 2015-early 2016.

"Oh, it's just for launch. It's just for late 2013. Cross-gen won't be a thing any more after these first few titles."

Yeah, keep believing that. Especially where the big three (EA, Activision and Ubisoft) are concerned.

Not exactly sure what people were expecting, seems like some reasonable differences in water and texture resolution. Plus - this is cross gen, we always knew is was going to be benchmarked mostly for the current gen consoles.

Plus a lot of the differences in foliage density and effects won't be present here. Kind of misrepresentative video actually - if you're going to compare and contrast, you should actually highlight the differences.

Wow, disgraceful. At least tell me it wasn't locked at 30.

If you mean did it run above thirty? Then no. If you were asking if id dropped bellow 30? Then maybe, I am not that sensitive to variation in the frame rate.

Edit: I honestly think the PS4 version of the game is fine except for the aliasing. If you want the game to run at 60 fps and look good than you need to be playing it on a PC.

JB1981

I've officially entered bizarro world. In 30/60 FPS comparison threads I'm the one saying there isn't much difference. However in this comparison I can't believe that people are saying they can't tell the difference. Just look at the water. The PS3 version is far more blurry in order to hide the lack of detail. This blurriness to conceal lack of detail isn't only confined to the ocean but it is most obviously shown there and for any objects in the distance.

Exactly. It's basically like looking at a 1080p vanilla PC shot and a console shot. Not sure what peopel were expecting.

I can't see anything that different in the character models but I can see better textures on the wood, more shadows in the ps4 version and the water is a massive difference. Looks ok to me

pushBAK

Good video. While the differences were somewhat hard to spot, once I found them I couldn't unsee. PS4 version was definitely higher res and more detailed.

Top Bottom