• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Red devs reportedly using Japanese consultants for "cultural authenticity and sensitivity"

mitch1971

So....George Takei?
Oh My George Takai GIF

Kiraly

Because it is not the same game and it is ridiculous to compare it to FIFA and Madden and NBA as all they do is copy and paste where AC create new worlds and story for every game and that alone is enough that people buy and enjoy them. Also AC pretty much changed to an RPG now and pretty much every title after that transition was solid. I don’t understand the hate for recent AC titles honestly on here. It is bizarre.
It's because it's popular to hate on Assassin's Creed in hardcore gaming circles (lmao) and people like to feel included so they show their hate for the game as a way to show they are 'in' with that community

Fbh

Seems about standard for all their games.
Probably even more so for something like AC since they usually also put a ton of historical figures in there.

I expect to see black people everywhere or I'll be offended.

"ackchyually there's this one recorded black samurai which obviously means at least 50% of Samurai back then weren't japanese"

marjo

Ubisoft always does a pretty good job with historical accuracy in the AC franchise (at least relative to other video games). It's the main reason I enjoy playing them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So they are hiring Japanese people, for the sensitivity of western folks lol.

Cause I doubt most the Japanese care, it will be the Social warriors who will care more.
Its a good idea to hire someone regardless for better accuracy, but I just find it funny “Sensitivity“ is defo for the western babies
Pretty much, lol.

Onironauta

They'll still discard the consultants' suggestions, filling the game with politically correct shit that panders to modern day muricans

yurinka

Pretty much. It is basically this:

Now I remember the woke rioting because of the Mario mariachi costume in Mario Odyssey, while Mexicans were loving it and in fact Mexicans were upset when it was removed from somewhere (I think it was the cover or something like that).

yurinka

So they are hiring Japanese people, for the sensitivity of western folks lol.

Cause I doubt most the Japanese care, it will be the Social warriors who will care more.
Its a good idea to hire someone regardless for better accuracy, but I just find it funny “Sensitivity“ is defo for the western babies
It's something Ubisoft does in every single Assassin's Creed, they work with historians and experts on that ancient culture as consultants. Nothing new.

And well, the article mentions is doing it this time with their Ubisoft Japan office, that already existed. They aren't hiring anyone to do this.

Droxcy

And Call Of Duty uses former military guys for mocap and references all games do stuff like this lol

Vick

Gold Member
If they didn’t use cultural consultants for your country, it’s because you have no culture. Sorry Italy.
The Assassin's Creed games actually offered the most accurate and pure depiction of Italy and Italian culture in all mainstream media since.. the 60's?
Maybe with the exception of all Jordan Schlansky on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, if we consider that mainstream.

Italy ≠ Italian Americans.

Corndog

Banned
RbRXW98GZLTsJX9wwqFmSA-1200-80.jpg.webp

Assassin's Creed Red is reportedly being developed with Ubisoft Japan and local consultants "in the interest of cultural authenticity and sensitivity".

That new claim comes from Axios (opens in new tab), citing two sources familiar with the development of Ubisoft's upcoming game. According to the outlet, Assassin's Creed Red developers will work with consultants and collaborate with Ubisoft's Japanese studio on the new project.

However, as the Axios report makes sure to point out, it's unclear to what extent the advisers or collaborative developers will shape Assassin's Creed Red. Considering the game is still at least two years out from launch, there's plenty more development road left to cover for the team just yet.

[/URL]
I’m sure Japanese developers hire sensitivity consultants when making games with westerners in them.

The Assassin's Creed games actually offered the most accurate and pure depiction of Italy and Italian culture in all mainstream media since.. the 60's?
Maybe with the exception of all Jordan Schlansky on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, if we consider that mainstream.

Italy ≠ Italian Americans.
T’was a joke

Sure, was just reflecting about how insane that actually is.
I often shit on those games but in this regard, at least early on, they were remarkable.
I actually enjoy Assassin’s Creed. I played up until Syndicate, which was the first one I found truly putrid.

Top Bottom