• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarök - Cinematic Trailer

Reizo Ryuu

Rogue and Unity had katanas, IIRC
Yes it did, but this is them more going all in with the japan theme.
there’s a cross over!?!? i’m stoked for this. i’m just like you. hated V but loved O
It's not really a crossover unless you play the mission in Valhalla too.
The mission in Odyssey is more of a "true ending" to the game and sets up "infinity" and the mission in valhalla.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
there’s a cross over!?!? i’m stoked for this. i’m just like you. hated V but loved O

Both Odyssey and Valhalla got a free episode. They add a unique island in each game with new story missions.

They are supposed to cross over but you need to play the Odyssey one first, then Valhalla*

*Or just play the Odyssey one and youtube Valhalla like I will.

Vagswarm

I still have yet to play this game, lol. Any time a game is this massive, I tend to blow it off time and time again in favor of shorter games, which is just about everything else. 🤷‍♂️

Did have a lot of fun with Odyssey though, despite being quite large at the time.

Last edited:
I love Odyssey and hate Valhalla.

Finished the Odyssey crossover and have zero interest in Valhalla. Give me more Kassandra please !

Also, Odyssey on Series consoles is pretty damn good.

I preferred Valhalla to Odyssey, but I think I was more patient in my play through in Valhalla. I could see hitting the fairly long ’dream’ sequences (being ambiguous not to spoil anything) in Valhalla might annoy some people; where it’s janking them out of the plot like the animus sequences in ‘certain’ prior games. But frankly I found them to be the more impactful parts of the game’s story and kind of refreshing. How close it is to the actual Norse mythology while still giving you dialogue choices is kind of a treat too.

Plus if you watched Vikings or The Last Kingdom it’s pretty much treading the same ground, so you recognize a lot of the names.

Odyssey was great, but the island level slog was a bit much, and just didn’t include quests on the same level of things like finding the Grantebridge traitor (which you could get wrong and the game would let you without even telling you).

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Odyssey was great, but the island level slog was a bit much, and just didn’t include quests on the same level of finding the Grantebridge traitor (which you could get wrong and the game would let you).
Yeah honestly going back to Odyssey just for this quest, made me realise I was looking back at it with rose-coloured glasses. Kassandra and the setting are dope, but I appreciate everything else in valhalla more now, it just plays better all around; even eivor's likability went up for me after the crossover mission.

Yeah honestly going back to Odyssey just for this quest, made me realise I was looking back at it with rose-coloured glasses. Kassandra and the setting are dope, but I appreciate everything else in valhalla more now, it just plays better all around; even eivor's likability went up for me after the crossover mission.

It helps too that they just finally fixed the stealth bugs that were in Valhalla for the last 13 months with the latest patch and added customized difficulty options for stealth and parries 🤤

Last edited:

Gtafans93

I preferred Valhalla to Odyssey, but I think I was more patient in my play through in Valhalla. I could see hitting the fairly long ’dream’ sequences (being ambiguous not to spoil anything) in Valhalla might annoy some people; where it’s janking them out of the plot like the animus sequences in ‘certain’ prior games. But frankly I found them to be the more impactful parts of the game’s story and kind of refreshing. How close it is to the actual Norse mythology while still giving you dialogue choices is kind of a treat too.

Plus if you watched Vikings or The Last Kingdom it’s pretty much treading the same ground, so you recognize a lot of the names.

Odyssey was great, but the island level slog was a bit much, and just didn’t include quests on the same level of things like finding the Grantebridge traitor (which you could get wrong and the game would let you without even telling you).
Same Boat Enjoyed odyssey but man it was a slog at time and could get boring. Even combat got easy. Valhalla ramps it up to a slower yet tactical pace and while it can be a slog I am far more into Vikings so I was able to just explore and use my imagination to slowly ramp up to finishing the game. That and sidequests are far superior and varied in Valhalla than Odyssey

HTK

Banned
For people wondering what the content is in update 1.4.1 without spoilers other then map name and how the map looks like.

AC Odyssey:

A new map is added towards your portal map named KOFRU, which is a entire island dedicated towards the new story ( basically a mini dlc of 5 hours long, only 4 hours in and finished the main story, still clearing stuff out.

At the starter island there is a person at the docks, that will guide you towards the new island, your story will start there then.

ejQi3Pe.jpg

The map has 3 area's in it with content a story and camps to clear, environment looks absolutely amazing, honestly i missed it in valhalla. i love the colors in odyssey so much the sound etc.

Cd4SXJO.png

(only the first area is uncovered yet, middle and top area are still covered. but that's the map zoomed out.

AC Valhalla:

A complete new map has been added at the world map ( 5 hours of content for 100% ) called ISLE of SKYE ( basically builded after the actual isle of skye ).

The quest will start at the druid house in your settlement, where a new character is she will teleport you to the new map.

RQfXT13.png

How the map looks like. it's 2 area's fused in one.

NOJC1lt.png

I will do a update on the entire update once i completed both for 100%.

Are there any next-gen updates for Assassins Creed Odyssey?

Vyse

Gold Member
The one thing they need to start doing if they’re going to keep making these 100+ hour long games with story DLC coming out months apart that continues the story; is add a bloody synopsis/journal. It’s hard to jump back in months later and remember where you left off story-wise, while having basically zero description on the quests themselves and nothing in the codex as a recap.

The Witcher 3 handled it perfectly: you get burnt out, or just can’t devote the time, or came back for the DLC, you can shelve it, come back to it months later and the first thing you see is the loading screen narration giving you a rundown of where you left off in the main quest, and if that’s not enough they have a full well written summary of every completed quest, as well as written summaries on quests in progress up to the point you’re at in the quest.

Getting back into a 60 hour Odyssey save after months, I literally had to look up the story up to the point I was at on a wiki because I seriously couldn’t remember meeting a certain character during massive story beat before I shelved it for a bit. Valhalla pulls the same thing, there’s no recap.
Totally agree. I also think they need to add some quick tutorial to get you back up to speed on the controls. I tried to get back into during the first DLC and felt lost.

* Super hero pose with hero with an angry face *
* Some fancy attacks *
* Super hero pose again and angry face *
* Dramatic music building and then fancy attacks and 1 last super hero pose, not forgetting that angry face *
* Freeze on said super hero pose then fade to black, still angry. Title card *

What's the opposite of an erection cause this generic fucking trailer gave me that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
DLC is glorified bait, gets them every time, hope they started a new assassins creed.

Laptop1991

I own the game and the season pass, although i've only done half of Wrath of the Druids and haven't started the Seige of Paris yet as the gameplay became repetitive and i got bored of it, so i'm wondering for 33 quid, what is it going to be and if it's worth it.

CitizenZ

Banned
Dear Ubisoft, simply go play New World and simply copy that with the last 3 AC games. You're welcome for saving your company.

Kenpachii

Are there any next-gen updates for Assassins Creed Odyssey?

I played it on PC, other then install reduction of 40gb lower, there wasn't anything really done on the games.

Odyssey could benefit so much from texture updates and draw distance of textures + half decent upscaling same for valhalla to.

They need to seriously fix that Valhalla combat if they want a sale from me. Valhallas combat was touted as being some great improvement and it sucked. Most unsatisfying combat in a aaa game that I've ever played. The new abilities were cool in theory but in practice there was no risk reward, with a way too forgiving parry window, it felt bad and was overly repetitive in the worst way.

That could've made the game so much more enjoyable but instead I always get bored after playing for a couple hours. Oh, they never fixed the awful compressed sound either despite it being an actual joke for a AAA game.

I'm not a ubi/ac hater although Ubi pisses me off with their always half assing certain elements of their games. Valhalla had too many broken things that they never fucking bothered to fix, like the stealth, the hdr, sound, etc

Kenpachii

They need to seriously fix that Valhalla combat if they want a sale from me. Valhallas combat was touted as being some great improvement and it sucked. Most unsatisfying combat in a aaa game that I've ever played. The new abilities were cool in theory but in practice there was no risk reward, with a way too forgiving parry window, it felt bad and was overly repetitive in the worst way.

That could've made the game so much more enjoyable but instead I always get bored after playing for a couple hours. Oh, they never fixed the awful compressed sound either despite it being an actual joke for a AAA game.

I'm not a ubi/ac hater although Ubi pisses me off with their always half assing certain elements of their games. Valhalla had too many broken things that they never fucking bothered to fix, like the stealth, the hdr, sound, etc

Combat is absolute trash in valhalla, absolute the worst part of it. Going back to odyssey and my stealth dagger instant delete build was so much more fun. The same goes for my fire warrior build + bear hunter poison build. They aced gear and combat in that game (even while gear was way to much random shit it was superior in my view.

They really have to move back to odyssey ways with there next one, and frankly for ragnarok if its really 40 euro's they could very well be delivered 80 hour of new content. I would not mind having a full blown reset and moving back into the odyssey ways also with skills.

They also need to update there engine completely + put some effort in there game on the sound front / optimisation for nvidia cards + dlss / hdr is a big part of it. From being infront of the competition they are falling hard behind lately.

Reizo Ryuu

The new abilities were cool in theory but in practice there was no risk reward, with a way too forgiving parry window
That's weird, since the abilities in Odyssey made you an invincible demi-god, if you were equipped with a hammer you could kill like 5 enemies by pressing two buttons together...
At some point even mercenaries became a joke because you can just stunlock them with the spear ability, which fills your ability meter, which allows you to do the special weapon attack, and another, and then use the spear again...and this is even before you get the insane isu abilities from the atlantis DLC.
The only way you'd die in Odyssey later on, is if you wandered into a much higher level area and some low gear, naked peasant archers start firing arrows at you from a blind spot; because of the dumb gear level system they'd do ridiculous amounts of damage.

And the parry window in Odyssey and Valhalla are the same, valhalla has much more risk because they added stamina, which means if you are out of stamina after a heavy attack, and the enemy does an unblockable or area attack, you can can't dodge either; in Odyssey you can just forever dodge while slowing down time as well, might as well not even block/parry at all.
Update 1.4.1. added a bunch of adjustable combat variables, so if you want to make the parry window in valhalla less "forgiving", you can.
Going back to Odyssey for this mission made me realise valhalla's combat is just better in every way.

MikeM

I loved the crossover dlc in odyssey and valhalla.
It gave my kassandra a satisfying conclusion after spending over 200 hours in odyssey these past few years and beating the base game and the dlc. And its awesome to see her in valhalla, that mission chain was great. I hope we got another ac game with kassandra as the protagonist. She really is the best series protagonist since ezio
I was surprised there was no sexy time at the end of it. Felt too much chemistry between Eivor and Kassandra.

Stamps1646

I honestly wish this Dawn of Ragnarök dlc was part of the Season Pass.
I recently picked up the Season Pass, waited for it to be 50% off on PC.
Now that I've seen this new dlc trailer, I'm kind of bummed since it's separate content.

Looks like I'll be waiting for another sale.
The trailer was good. =)

Top Bottom