• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla Isn't Launching On Steam

Bullet Club

Assassin's Creed Valhalla Isn't Launching On Steam

Ubisoft confirms that this year's big Assassin's Creed game will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store and Uplay.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla is launching this year across consoles (including Xbox Series X and PS5) and PC. For PC players, Ubisoft will be taking a similar route to its other recent games, skipping Steam in favor of the Epic Games Store--at least initially, in a similar release structure to the publisher's other recent games.

Ubisoft has confirmed that Valhalla will only be sold on one third-party store, the Epic Games Store. The game will also release on PC through Ubisoft's Uplay service.

Valhalla will become the first mainline new installment in Assassin's Creed series to skip Steam. It will also be the first game in the series to launch for next-generation platforms. 2018's Assassin's Creed Odyssey and the rest of the earlier games are available to buy on Steam now.

The Division 2 was Ubisoft's first big game to launch as an exclusive on the Epic Games Store. At the Game Developers Conference in 2019, Ubisoft and Epic extended their publishing deal for future titles, and now we know one of them is Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

The Division 2 was never released on Steam, but the exact terms of Ubisoft's deal with Epic for Valhalla are unknown. Many of the other Epic exclusives, such as 2K's Borderlands 3, did eventually release on Steam.

Ubisoft is avoiding Steam because of its business model. Vice president Chris Early said in a New York Times interview that Steam's business model is "unrealistic." He added, "It doesn't reflect where the world is today in terms of game distribution."

Steam typically keeps 30 percent of game sales, with 70 percent going to developers/publishers. By contrast, the Epic Games Store offers much more to the people who make games; on the Epic Games Store, 88 percent of revenue goes back to developers.

For more on the game, read our in-depth interview with Assassin's Creed Valhalla's lead writer. We also have information on the setting and protagonist.

Source: Gamespot

Jesb

If it is 30% I can’t really fault them for that. I won’t support ubi again on pc anyway. I wanted to play sc blacklist and it’s gone from my library. This is the kind of shit you don’t have to deal with on consoles.

Arachnid

maxresdefault.jpg

Larxia

Does anyone care? If you are buying this game, your buying it for a next-gen console
What even is this logic? You know PC evolves too right? Somehow next gen is going to make PC obsolete?

You could built a PC like 2 years ago that is going to totally out performs next gen consoles.
But you're right, enjoy your next gen experience at 30 fps with locked settings and all, freedom really does suck.

Arkam

Waiting til we see gameplay next week until really care about this entry or not. But in all situations Epic Game Store (and Uplay) = no purchase. If it looks good Ill pick it up on either PS5 or XSX.

johntown

Banned
Ubisoft is avoiding Steam because of greed. The issue of 30% being unrealistic does not hold up. The so called Robin Hood savior of developers argument does not hold up either and I am annoyed that big publishers keep saying it. Small devs teams I understand completely.

Doesn't Ubisoft force all PC games to launch through Uplay anyway? So what does it really matter what store launches it? All achievements etc are on Uplay.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Ubisoft is avoiding Steam because of greed. The issue of 30% being unrealistic does not hold up. The so called Robin Hood savior of developers argument does not hold up either and I am annoyed that big publishers keep saying it. Small devs teams I understand completely.

Doesn't Ubisoft force all PC games to launch through Uplay anyway? So what does it really matter what store launches it? All achievements etc are on Uplay.
Yes, after the purchase on Epic store the game is linked to Uplay account and you never have to launch Epic store again. You can even do it all on the website.

Kenpachii

Jup there is absolute no point in buying there games on steam or epic store it all goes through uplay.

It's smart business tho.

All the people that hate epic now buy it on uplay which has no cut for them, maximum profit. And epic pays them anyway for copy's that they sell on that platform. Win win

Does anyone care? If you are buying this game, your buying it for a next-gen console

U mean PC, if you want the best version.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For Ubisoft games, I don't care. I've long ago since gotten used to the UPlay launcher being the home for all of my Ubisoft games. I'll just buy a discounted copy from GMG for UPlay. No need to touch EGS.

lukilladog

Too bad, I´m not giving any money to the company that censors the chinese social media (Tencent) at the command of the CCP and hurts the rest of the world by doing it.

Last edited:
Homosexual romances = Yes ! Spread the love ! :messenger_heart:
Steam romances = No no, not that kind of love...

Why don't'ya practice what you preach ? :messenger_pensive:
Marketing is always where progressivism dies, eh, Ubisoft ?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Those sceens are pretty :0 )

Just remember that Ubisoft pre-release screens are always bullshots. They tend to use a lot of supersampling and also post process the images to make them look insanely good. I'm sure the final graphics will be close enough, but just a word of warning.

HE1NZ

Banned
To be fair, it never made sense to buy them on Steam anyway. They are cheaper on Uplay and require it to work.

Guilty_AI

Vice president Chris Early said in a New York Times interview that Steam's business model is "unrealistic." He added, "It doesn't reflect where the world is today in terms of game distribution."

Which translated from corporate-speak means:

Anything that doesn't give the absolute maximum profit to us is unrealistic. Also, the bag of money Epic offered us to skip Steam was pretty good. People will just skip their store to buy directly from us anyway so it was basically free cash.

Arkam

Just remember that Ubisoft pre-release screens are always bullshots. They tend to use a lot of supersampling and also post process the images to make them look insanely good. I'm sure the final graphics will be close enough, but just a word of warning.
For sure! Never will forget the craziness of those first Red Steel screenshots.

Fbh

Epic has better regional pricing and sales so I don't care.
Also last I checked you still need Uplay so it's going to be equally crappy no matter where you get it

If their last cross-gen Assassins Creed (black flag) is any indication. The next gen version isn't going to be some amazing custom made version that takes maximum advantage of next gen systems, it's going to be the exact same game running at higher resolution and maybe 60fps

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Well, that confirms a non-purchase from me. I'm gaming on PC/Switch only right now, and will continue to use Epic as a place to grab free games and never spend a penny until they get at least somewhat close to reaching feature parity with Steam.

Also, it's hard to ignore the Tencent/Epic relationship.

tenor.gif

Moriah20

As long as they offer that better split than Steam, It'll happen. And the longer it happens the more people will get used to it. Not really shocking

I'd wager this has nothing to do with the 30% cut. In fact, higher selling games like Assassins Creed get a reduction on steam to... 20% I think?. Ubisoft has likely been looking to exit steam for a while, since they buffed up uplay, even got their own subscribtion service now. They get 100% of the shares on uplay. EGS was a good opportunity to bounce, because now they get money from Epic just to stay off steam, and far more people buy their games on uplay than before, making massively more money.

from a business standpoint, pretty genius really.

Meanwhile EA and bethesda danced their way back to steam.

martino

i buy ubi games directly from their store
you still need it ether way.

If they continue to skip steam it means enough people don't care that much on which platform they buy the game....what a surprise.

Last edited:

Aidah

This is my kind of exclusivity deal, games I consider garbage not showing up on a store I like.

kretos

Banned
Epic got robbed, Ubi got their money and they know most people will buy it from Ubi store to avoid Epic store

oagboghi2

PC gaming doesn't exist in the second half of 2020?
What even is this logic? You know PC evolves too right? Somehow next gen is going to make PC obsolete?

You could built a PC like 2 years ago that is going to totally out performs next gen consoles.
But you're right, enjoy your next gen experience at 30 fps with locked settings and all, freedom really does suck.
My God, you PC people need to calm the fuck down. So thin skinned. The interest in the the next-gen version will be higher than a PC version. That's where the public attention is. That is just reality. There is a reason Ubisoft sat on this announcement for months.

PC isn't a marketing priority

Top Bottom