• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Patch Tomorrow - Fixes XSX Screen Tearing, Adds Next-Gen 30fps Quality Mode

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So yeah I don’t notice in difference in performance mode from before except for the tearing. In Jorvik where it use to tear a lot is now clean. I can however still get the random tear coming out of a fast travel but that’s rare.

Inviusx

Just played for an hour with the new patch. Noticed literally zero differences in performance or graphical quality in 60fps mode. Y'all trippin.

ZywyPL

Banned
But only now do they suck to half of the sony fanboys, while the other half now claims ms paid to sabotage the game. I swear you can't make this shit up 🤣

Nothing will beat when DF turned out to be "paid shills" when X1X arrived and Pro stopped being the world's most powerful console anymore, only to now become the go-to, reliable source once again since PS5 is running the games better. Some things just never change.

Evilms

Banned

QjgGyhh.png

C2XuGMS.png

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
1606468682-20201127-095445.jpg
1606468820-20201127-095500.jpg

they seem to have lowered the resolution on XSX (below 1440p) as suggested by DF in his video analysis to partially eliminate tearing and limit framerate drops
V9LsB9T.png
Ohhhh but I was delusional thinking that was the case lol

Nice to they confirmation... they did just what DF said they could do.

It is fine H huraga ... it is fine.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Maybe a weird issue with how PS5 applies patches, or should Ubisoft have tested the patch application throughly?

Weird how redownloading fully patched version fixes it...

Riky

$MSFT
Just played for an hour with the new patch. Noticed literally zero differences in performance or graphical quality in 60fps mode. Y'all trippin.

Most people probably won't notice the resolution scaler becoming more aggressive in game unless you examine still screenshots. If it gets rid of frame drops and tearing which are noticeable during gameplay then it's a good solution for most.

ethomaz

Banned
so I can’t use my 7.1 speaker set up to its best only headphones. Atmos and DTS-X is better and always will be
3D audio on PS5 works 100% with your 7.1 speaker.... it is probably even better use of your 7.1 speaker than Atmos or DTS-X.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Man, the Sony Warbots never stop.

*sniffs*

I smell an agenda.

Take a day off from warring, bro. Everything is okay.

The audio on XsX games has been getting lots of praise from places like DF too.
Don't disagree with you but DF and series X go hand to hand happily to the praise land. Did you ever heard by them some serious criticism about this rushed launch, broken and early toolkit, lack of exclusive and so on? Even about the toolkit Leadbetter said is a good thing for the future. That's not so good for the series X development, indeed it sets further limits to squeeze out more from the console. Virtualization never pushed better the hardware for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Which most likely means the game should run the same on all platforms and this title really isn't some sort of benchmark showing PS5 superiority. Might have to put away the DJ Khaled 'another one' meme.
So day one, it was fine on PS5.

In an attempt to fix XSX issues Ubi caused it to be worse across the board?

Maybe they should have left PS5 and PC alone? How does that even happen?

TJC

Good for u. Xsx needed it as 99% of the players don't have vrr capable tv .now this update screws u badly since u didn't need it but Now after the update u ll have to play it in lower resolution 😅
Wait they have lowered the resolution for X on performance mode? This would point to limitations in the Hardware and not bugs like originally thought. I wonder why the PS5 version has been effected since both were the same visually with PS5 running better.

ethomaz

Banned
so it converts Tempest to Atmos or DTS then?
I think you are misunderstanding what happens here.

- Devices with 3D audio support has the channels to receive the instructions for 3D audio... the protocol used to receive these instructions is equal for any tech.
- The tech (Tempest, Atmos, DST-X, etc) used to generate these instructions are different from each other... in fact it is a software algorithm/logic that generate the 3D audio instructions.

PS5 generate the 3D Audio instructions via Tempest... others devices that uses Atmos gerente using Atmos.

There is no conversion at all.

PS. Some headsets has the option to converter a normal audio signal/instructions to Atmos and/or DTS-X... my Soundbar 5.1 if not receive the actual 5.1 signal you can turn on DTS-X Virtual that simulates the 3D audio... so the Soundbar does the processing.

That is why it is called Virtual... for real 3D audio you need to receive the actual 3D audio instructions from the source device no matter what algorithm generated it (Atmos, Tempest, DTS-X, etc).

Last edited:

Hairsplash

Did you know at least what kind of pc you need to run in native 4k Valhalla or you are just deliberately obtuse?
i am not obtuse...(if anything i was “trashing” the series X ... BUT read on fir those offended...

i do not have the game... but i do know that i can run GTAV everything ultra (setting as high as it will go)with no msaa, at 30fps minimum (everywhere, important ) using a gtx1660ti at 2115clock... a gtx1660ti is slightly weaker or the same at a rt5700xt (a xbox one X, not series. ) the series X is bigger than a 5700xt by 50%...

i meant that in is UNACCEPTABLE for a next gen console to have a 30fps mode.
i can get 30fps 4K in any pc game(that has it) by adjusting the visual details... it is lazy programming to offer a 4K mode that is 30fps.

it is acceptable in a ps4pro, because it is not “really” a 4k console... Sony is careful wth their words so you do not expect 4k... remember ps4pro 4k, you knew it was checkerboarding... (not true 4k...) but it looks nice...

MICROSOFT makes a big deal about 4K in their console... 50% more CU’s than a rx5700... superduper TF’s , speed this, speed that... OK, microsoft “put up, or shut up” 30fps Is not 4K. 24fps is for movies not video games.
so microsoft, if ubisoft can not utilize the hardware to make 4k60, then shut the f’ up about 4K...

the series x should have no problem running games at 4k60, if we assume that the OG xbox 1 can do 720p60... we know the the clock rate of the series x is at least double of the xbox 1 and the CU’s in the series x are 4.5 times greater than the xbox 1 ... so by my calculations the series x is 9 times “faster” or “better” than an xbox 1.
guess what? 4k compared to 720p has 9 times more pixels... and a console with 9x the processing power of the xbox1 should be able to do 4k60 “without a sweat” or easily do 4k60...
so valhalla 4k at 30 is only acceptable IMO on a series S...

TJC

i am not obtuse...(if anything i was “trashing” the series X ... BUT read on fir those offended...

i do not have the game... but i do know that i can run GTAV everything ultra (setting as high as it will go)with no msaa, at 30fps minimum (everywhere, important ) using a gtx1660ti at 2115clock... a gtx1660ti is slightly weaker or the same at a rt5700xt (a xbox one X, not series. ) the series X is bigger than a 5700xt by 50%...

i meant that in is UNACCEPTABLE for a next gen console to have a 30fps mode.
i can get 30fps 4K in any pc game(that has it) by adjusting the visual details... it is lazy programming to offer a 4K mode that is 30fps.

it is acceptable in a ps4pro, because it is not “really” a 4k console... Sony is careful wth their words so you do not expect 4k... remember ps4pro 4k, you knew it was checkerboarding... (not true 4k...) but it looks nice...

MICROSOFT makes a big deal about 4K in their console... 50% more CU’s than a rx5700... superduper TF’s , speed this, speed that... OK, microsoft “put up, or shut up” 30fps Is not 4K. 24fps is for movies not video games.
so microsoft, if ubisoft can not utilize the hardware to make 4k60, then shut the f’ up about 4K...

the series x should have no problem running games at 4k60, if we assume that the OG xbox 1 can do 720p60... we know the the clock rate of the series x is at least double of the xbox 1 and the CU’s in the series x are 4.5 times greater than the xbox 1 ... so by my calculations the series x is 9 times “faster” or “better” than an xbox 1.
guess what? 4k compared to 720p has 9 times more pixels... and a console with 9x the processing power of the xbox1 should be able to do 4k60 “without a sweat” or easily do 4k60...
so valhalla 4k at 30 is only acceptable IMO on a series S...
Yeah it don't work like that pal

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
the same happened to me to. i checked that PS5 just download it to me but i am installing it by my self, still PS5 installed the updates of Spider MM and Valhalla. like wtf? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yeah. I keep my PS5 off, so when I turned it on and it saw Valhalla was in the disc tray, it began downloading. I stopped the download, went into settings, turned off all auto-updating, and went back to playing the game. Next time I booted up the game, it said “patch installed”.

kNRvUN2.gif

awesome!

Maybe I could reinstall the game on disc and just play without any updates? I have a feeling that may be disastrous for bugs though.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
VRR is currently broken or buggy as fuck on 90% of the sets that support it. As it stands, and without clear and universal standards it's a useless and overhyped feature.
Works perfectly on my tv. Still, it does not excuse a badly performing game, and I will not buy badly performing games because I have it.

Rob_27

So do I now need to sell the PS5 version and repurchase on xbox?

I did notice that when I played on xbox and then played on PS5 my progress continued I didn't think that happened from xbox to PS only from older machine to newer from same platform.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

For anyone doubting that Ubisoft will gimp a version of a game intentionally, recall in 2014 amid the AC: Unity "parity" controversy a developer was quoted:

""We decided to lock them (the different console versions) at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff," senior producer Vincent Pontbriand told Videogamer.

They later backtracked and denied it because it turned into a huge fucking PR disaster, but it's obvious that it was done because of marketing deals/internal politics with the different companies.

Ubisoft is %100 not above this type of fuckery.

kuncol02

Banned
For anyone doubting that Ubisoft will gimp a version of a game intentionally, recall in 2014 amid the AC: Unity "parity" controversy a developer was quoted:

""We decided to lock them (the different console versions) at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff," senior producer Vincent Pontbriand told Videogamer.

They later backtracked and denied it because it turned into a huge fucking PR disaster, but it's obvious that it was done because of marketing deals/internal politics with the different companies.

Ubisoft is %100 not above this type of fuckery.
And that's why downloading it fresh instead of upgrading is supposedly fixing performance problems on PS5?

ethomaz

Banned
And that's why downloading it fresh instead of upgrading is supposedly fixing performance problems on PS5?
That really fix the performance and image quality issues on PS5 with the new patch or just "looks" like it is fixed? I believe the issues with the new patch happens no matter how you installed the patch.

There is a image quality downgrade.
And performance issues.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

That's from one Twitter post and is completely unconfirmed.

I'm also not saying that Ubisoft is sabotaging the game; just noting that they have a history of doing stupid shit for the sake of parity.

iorek21

85 hours in, and I'm getting very tired of this game.

Main quest doesn't seem to progress, it's just a bunch of alliances sidestories with no real meaning behind it. The only two sequences I really liked were London and Asgard/Jotunheim, those were great and had a nice pacing.

I'm usually not really nitpicky about bugs, but this game is bugged as hell, still can't find a way to fight a Daughter of Lerion because of a bug.

Also, the woke pandering in this game is utter crap too; a catholic prince marrying a "divorced" Dane? Half of the viking warriors being women? Ah, FFS.

Riky

$MSFT
Just spent an hour on XSX without VRR and I didn't notice any tearing and it's something I always notice. So it seems fixed to me, even if the scaler is more aggressive I couldn't tell whilst playing.

jaysius

Banned
Do I still have to pay for the license on Xbox or did MS cover it this time? I honestly have not checked.

If you have a receiver, than NO, if you want to hear it through any pair of headphones, than YES a one time lifetime fee that also works on Windows 10 PCs.

It doesn't appear that this game supports it, but other upcoming titles like Cyberpunk 2077 will on Xbox One and Series consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom