• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Patch Tomorrow - Fixes XSX Screen Tearing, Adds Next-Gen 30fps Quality Mode

DF hounding devs with the bug narrative (a lazy dev double speak) starting to result in poor side-effects.....

That's not to say developers shouldn't pay attention to reports about performance issues/bugs but they shouldn't feel pressured by the console wars and narrative shenanigans of DF to rush updates out the door. Don't elevate them (which is what they're doing by following up with dumb shit like this). It's clout bait.

Devs wrongly (and out of their own volition) rush an update with little QA to quell any bad press. Result: Shit gets worse across the board, even on the lead platform (PS5). :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think you are misunderstanding what happens here.

- Devices with 3D audio support has the channels to receive the instructions for 3D audio... the protocol used to receive these instructions is equal for any tech.
- The tech (Tempest, Atmos, DST-X, etc) used to generate these instructions are different from each other... in fact it is a software algorithm/logic that generate the 3D audio instructions.

PS5 generate the 3D Audio instructions via Tempest... others devices that uses Atmos gerente using Atmos.

There is no conversion at all.

PS. Some headsets has the option to converter a normal audio signal/instructions to Atmos and/or DTS-X... my Soundbar 5.1 if not receive the actual 5.1 signal you can turn on DTS-X Virtual that simulates the 3D audio... so the Soundbar does the processing.

That is why it is called Virtual... for real 3D audio you need to receive the actual 3D audio instructions from the source device no matter what algorithm generated it (Atmos, Tempest, DTS-X, etc).

so what's the tempest engine outputting it to? I mean is it making Atmos better or DTs?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
DF hounding devs with the bug narrative (a lazy dev double speak) starting to result in poor side-effects.....

That's not to say developers shouldn't pay attention to reports about performance issues/bugs but they shouldn't feel pressured by the console wars and narrative shenanigans of DF to rush updates out the door. Don't elevate them (which is what they're doing by following up with dumb shit like this). It's clout bait.

Devs wrongly (and out of their own volition) rush an update with little QA to quell any bad press. Result: Shit gets worse across the board, even on the lead platform (PS5). :messenger_grinning_squinting:
this is more true than you know. a lot of devs went ahead and locked the framerate after DF complained and that cost us 60 fps modes on the PS5. really lame.

i remember naughty dog actually downgraded the 4k 60 fps version in tlou on the pro because DF complained about the unlocked framerate.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
For anyone doubting that Ubisoft will gimp a version of a game intentionally, recall in 2014 amid the AC: Unity "parity" controversy a developer was quoted:

""We decided to lock them (the different console versions) at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff," senior producer Vincent Pontbriand told Videogamer.

They later backtracked and denied it because it turned into a huge fucking PR disaster, but it's obvious that it was done because of marketing deals/internal politics with the different companies.

Ubisoft is %100 not above this type of fuckery.
yep. i remember this, but couldnt find the quote.

I also remember black flag at launch shipped at 900p on both consoles. IIRC, they were hounded about it and then released a patch... might have even been a day one patch to fix it. but the on disc version is 900p.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So the PS5 version was nerfed? What issues does it have now? Online i found reports of unstable 60fps, but are resolution and graphics also affected?

ethomaz

Banned
so what's the tempest engine outputting it to? I mean is it making Atmos better or DTs?
Tempest engine just like Atmos and DTS-X is just outputting the 3D Audio signal via HDMI or whatever type of connecting interface you are using.
The device just need to support multichannel 3D audio... in hardware terms to have a lot of speakers to give the 3D impression.

I believe you are thinking that the device receiving the signal do some Atmos processing but in fact for the real Atmos the output device do all the processing and just output the audio signal (that includes the 3D multichannel).

Some receiving devices do Atmos processing but that is is called virtual... it receive a non-3D audio signal and try to convert it to 3D audio using Atmos or whatever algorithm it supports... the result is not always good.

So the source device generate the 3D audio signal (Atmos, Tempest, DST-X, etc) > The signal travels based in the cable protocol (HDMI, Optical, Display Port, etc) > The receiving device just use the instructions in the 3D audio signal to use all the multichannels speakers.

Last edited:
So the PS5 version was nerfed? What issues does it have now? Online i found reports of unstable 60fps, but are resolution and graphics also affected?

The game seemed fine before the patch. Apparently the visual settings were reduced and the framerate took a hit.

No idea why they did that.

ethomaz

Banned

With the update patches features launched in PS360 generation I believe there is no more QA team in development.
Buyers are the real QA team now.

We are basically the Beta testers.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
These threads are one of the reasons I come back to Neogaf every day.

Ubisoft downgrading PS5 version because... you know, reasons.

Can you imagine something like this?

At Ubisoft headquarters:

Product Owner(s) -> Project Manager: "Hey guys, people is angry in Resetera / Neogaf that Xbox Series X is not as good as PS5. Let's do something!"

Project Manager(s) -> "Lets create following requirement: In order to engage Resetera/Neogaf Xbox users, downgrade PS5 version. Lets add it to the backlog and priorize it!"

Technical Leaders(s) -> "Cool, lets think how to do this and add the technical details to fuck PS5 version".

Developers(s) -> "Nice, I got a simple story this sprint, fuck PS5 version. Easy. Just need to be careful to compare it with the Xbox build and actually be worst this time."

QA(s) -> "Damn, just need to test a damn downgrade. Whatever, here we go more 40hs playing the same shit, but worst".

Community Manager(s) -> "Cool, interesting requirement! How can we communicate that we are actually breaking the version of our lead platform in a nice way to not anger Ps5 users in Neogaf / Resetera and avoid the same shit to happen all over again!"

vkbest

After reinstalling the patch on PS5 this shit runs smooth as fuck

I say it's a patch install bug.

I think is a conflict with internal cache, people who played more had more problems. I bought the game, just 3 hours before the patch, played for 20 minutes, downloaded the patch and was identical smooth. That Sony and MS don’t say it’s games are using more space than her installed size, on PS5 you can see others, that is for games using space por caching, for example on games like Genshin Impact when you run the game download content there

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
These threads are one of the reasons I come back to Neogaf every day.

Ubisoft downgrading PS5 version because... you know, reasons.

Can you imagine something like this?

At Ubisoft headquarters:

Product Owner(s) -> Project Manager: "Hey guys, people is angry in Resetera / Neogaf that Xbox Series X is not as good as PS5. Let's do something!"

Project Manager(s) -> "Lets create following requirement: In order to engage Resetera/Neogaf Xbox users, downgrade PS5 version. Lets add it to the backlog and priorize it!"

Technical Leaders(s) -> "Cool, lets think how to do this and add the technical details to fuck PS5 version".

Developers(s) -> "Nice, I got a simple story this sprint, fuck PS5 version. Easy. Just need to be careful to compare it with the Xbox build and actually be worst this time."

QA(s) -> "Damn, just need to test a damn downgrade. Whatever, here we go more 40hs playing the same shit, but worst".

Community Manager(s) -> "Cool, interesting requirement! How can we communicate that we are actually breaking the version of our lead platform in a nice way to not anger Ps5 users in Neogaf / Resetera and avoid the same shit to happen all over again!"
Just a mistake.

Xbox is the lead platform in this game... not PS5.

huraga

Banned
Ohhhh but I was delusional thinking that was the case lol

Nice to they confirmation... they did just what DF said they could do.

It is fine H huraga ... it is fine.

Those "experts" from digital foundry didn´t notice that there is a bug in this patch and if you uninstall the game and install again it is fixed. Btw, DF guys are only a gaming journalists, not god in the earth, sorry if you didn´t know it.

Md Ray

675p

148d.gif

assurdum

Banned
Deserves to be mentioned he reports in many scenes both stay at the same resolution and it noticed also ps5 stays higher in others, compared the series X counterpart, with more fps drops sometimes. Don't get it why Ubisoft preferred higher resolution on ps5 over fps drops. It's really stupidish. Lower resolution reach 1080p on series X. Here their magical fix for the tearing issues.

Last edited:

huraga

Banned
This is the full information about that analisys to avoid confusions and half-truths. There are many people interested to say their truth not the authentic truth. Anyway this game has a shit optimization, but it´s not strange in bugysoft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368. PS5 in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160 and drops in resolution down to 1920x1080 seem to be uncommon.

In scenes such as 8:14 the PS5 in Performance Mode runs at a higher native resolution than the Xbox Series X in Performance Mode but with worse performance. However, in many scenes the PS5 and Xbox Series X render at a very similar resolution in Performance Mode.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode use a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 3840x2160 when rendering natively below this resolution.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 3552x1998. On both consoles in Quality Mode drops in resolution below 3840x2160 seem to be uncommon.

geordiemp

I think you'll find it's the PS5 with the Valhalla problems now😅

It's a reasonable question,

GPU problems, firmware patch, games start running worse. Could be related.
Most people probably won't notice the resolution scaler becoming more aggressive in game unless you examine still screenshots. If it gets rid of frame drops and tearing which are noticeable during gameplay then it's a good solution for most.

I agree, 1080p is fine.

huraga

Banned
i have latests patch and choosed quality and i didnt see a difference which i played yday so stfu with ur nonsense :D..u seem to be that fanboy :p

Kid, check this video please and you will see that there is differences, for example a quite better resolution.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
NextGen in glorious 30 FPS lol

I have nothing against 30 FPS modes, but I find it hilarious that with every generation people dream about "death of low fps games".

Majority will always choose an eye candy.

jaysius

Banned

It's not doing ANY of what that poster was saying, unless they show pure proof, the LATEST WORD from Sony is the ONLY WAY to get 3D AUDIO out of the PS5 is via the DUAL SENSE OR a USB connected headset.

How to Enable 3D Audio on PS5 - Push Square
Under WHAT YOU NEED is a PAIR OF HEADPHONES.

Experience PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech with compatible headsets at launch, TV Virtual Surround Sound coming after launch – PlayStation.Blog

THE HORSES MOUTH HERE.

Experience PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech with compatible headsets at launch, TV Virtual Surround Sound coming after launch

On the PS5, you’ll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller’s 3.5mm headset jack.

If the PS fanboi can't trust the INFORMATION coming from the MAKER of the device, I really don't know who the fuck the'll trust, I guess each other spinning up amazing stories about shit that doesn't work the way they fantasize.

This is pure fiction tech what the person is saying, he's talking about the future, way down the line kind of stuff.

100% proof is that 3D AUDIO is GREYED OUT in the PS5 settings UNTIL you connect a pair of headphones.

AVRs connected to a PS5 are 100% just outputting the DTS or DOLBY or LPCM sound data that the developers have created at this point.

Any perceived gains are from either placebo effect OR something that the people have corrected in their AUDIO settings for their PS5 but didn't really realize it.

The fun meta you can learn from all this, is this is how cults are founded, broken telephone conversations that have a modicum of truth but are full of false information, that has grown from one crazy person to the next.

I like to use the allusion of a shit snowman, these people are taking random bits that each one is making up and rolling it like a dung beetle into a huge ball until the next one starts the journey.(could someone make a shit snowman gif for me to post in these threads?)

This almost needs to be a fucking sticky at this point. It is HIGHLY entertaining though to see the lengths of logic these people misinterpreting the manufacture's OWN EXPLICT information are jumping through to make these posts.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
How do you know it? Are you working in Ubisoft?

Btw, Unistalling and Installing the game, most cases it fix the issue. It was a bug. So, please, stop the bullshit and try to reinstall the game.
From what I know MS has the marketing deal with this game.

CoD thought has the PS5 as lead platform.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Tempest engine just like Atmos and DTS-X is just outputting the 3D Audio signal via HDMI or whatever type of connecting interface you are using.
The device just need to support multichannel 3D audio... in hardware terms to have a lot of speakers to give the 3D impression.

I believe you are thinking that the device receiving the signal do some Atmos processing but in fact for the real Atmos the output device do all the processing and just output the audio signal (that includes the 3D multichannel).

Some receiving devices do Atmos processing but that is is called virtual... it receive a non-3D audio signal and try to convert it to 3D audio using Atmos or whatever algorithm it supports... the result is not always good.

So the source device generate the 3D audio signal (Atmos, Tempest, DST-X, etc) > The signal travels based in the cable protocol (HDMI, Optical, Display Port, etc) > The receiving device just use the instructions in the 3D audio signal to use all the multichannels speakers.

so I have a7.1 Atmos system, where is the benefit of the tempest engine in that? in another post there was talk its headphones that will only benefit from it.

my understanding would be it needs to be either an Atmos or DTS signal for the amp to decode them

huraga

Banned
From what I know MS has the marketing deal with this game.

CoD thought has the PS5 as lead platform.

Then for you it means that Xbox is the base platform... Instead PS5 which is the platform with higher number of users.

all of this are guesswork but have no proof or argument

Anyway, in my opinion i don´t understand the fight because I think we are in front of the consoles more similar that we have ever. We should be happy.

MrFunSocks

Banned
85 hours in, and I'm getting very tired of this game.

Main quest doesn't seem to progress, it's just a bunch of alliances sidestories with no real meaning behind it. The only two sequences I really liked were London and Asgard/Jotunheim, those were great and had a nice pacing.

I'm usually not really nitpicky about bugs, but this game is bugged as hell, still can't find a way to fight a Daughter of Lerion because of a bug.

Also, the woke pandering in this game is utter crap too; a catholic prince marrying a "divorced" Dane? Half of the viking warriors being women? Ah, FFS.
I don’t know about you but if you’ve played it for 85 hours before you get bored that’s a pretty goddamn good achievement by the devs IMO.

so I have a7.1 Atmos system, where is the benefit of the tempest engine in that? in another post there was talk its headphones that will only benefit from it.

my understanding would be it needs to be either an Atmos or DTS signal for the amp to decode them
Tempest 3D audio literally only works in headphones.

Last edited:

cheezcake

Okay so after rebooting my PC the insane stutter issues are back, managed to play stutter free for 5 hours yesterday too.

93xfan

Banned
It’s important to get patches out as quick as possible. Testing the update isn’t important.

Or is that the game I’m thinking of?

Last edited:

scalman

those are options that i was thinking all next gen games just must have , yes exactly that, give 60fps option and 30 fps one, and maybe then couple more in between. that will be for everyone to choose what they want. fixed 30fps option can be better then droping down from 60fps option.
still people dont get it i see, there can be 60fps quality mode , and then 30fps more quality mode . problem ? ohh you want that more quality mode would be 60 fps too ? just pick what fits you , its weird how some ppl brain dont work rly.

Last edited:

iorek21

I don’t know about you but if you’ve played it for 85 hours before you get bored that’s a pretty goddamn good achievement by the devs IMO.

True, but if this playtime was a combination of a complete main quest + side content, that would be really neat, but that's not really the case.

Valhalla feels like a giant sidequest, and it seems that I'm nowhere near its end. I wish the main story had more focus/better pacing...

Kagey K

Banned
True, but if this playtime was a combination of a complete main quest + side content, that would be really neat, but that's not really the case.

Valhalla feels like a giant sidequest, and it seems that I'm nowhere near its end. I wish the main story had more focus/better pacing...
So take a break from it and come back to it when you aren’t fatigued by it anymore.

The game and patches should get better while you take the time off.

MastaKiiLA

It’s important to get patches out as quick as possible. Testing the update isn’t important.

Or is that the game I’m thinking of?
It sounds like their QA team failed hard on this patch. They might want to rollback the PS5 changes, and keep the changes just for the XSX. That should bring both machines in-line in terms of framerate stability and tearing. Then again, if the delete and reinstall trick actually does improve the performance of the PS5 version, then maybe the issue was that QA didn't test enough play state permutations. They should have multiple boxes with different amounts of playtime on the install, and different save locations in the game. It's never a good situation when you have to patch a patch.

Top Bottom