• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla - Review Thread

GymWolf

I play with a two handed axe.. you feel the weight i promise :messenger_beaming:
I'm using that and that's why i said that valhalla is a bit better.

Still, the game mostly use precanned flying animations when you send enemy flying, ragdoll only turn on when you kill them and they lay down on the ground.

Different type of combat, but look how enemies fly in spiderman, enemy have ragdoll when you make them fly even if you don't kill them and it looks far more real\satisfying.

But then again, not everybody care about accurate enemy reactions and ragdoll in their games, but personally is the first thing i check in every combat system.

I guess that's the limit of having to run the game on shitty jaguar cpu that are already pushed to the limit by all the other things on screen.

I'm still testing enemy reaction tho because strangely enough, there is not much combat in this game, at least at the start.

Last edited:

TheKratos

Playing this on PC and loving it. It feels less bloated than Odyssey/Origins, in those game one small city could have 10 silly sidequests and 5 different collectibles.

In Valhalla it seems World Event have replaced sidequests so my quest log is not cluttered with 30 quests.

Also it seems it's much less of a loot (wpn/armor) game than the previous two. In Odyssey I would have so much useless loot, in Valhalla it seems the only way to get loot is to raid villages and specific chests.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Unity would like to have a discussion with you.
Once it finds its characters faces
I just played through Unity in PC and for me, it seems it's issued have been ironed out. It's an incredibly stunning game and it sucks that it was pushed too early as it's still the best looking AC with the absolute best parkour.

Azurro

Banned
The fun part is that odissey doesn't even look remotely good with these glitchy and weightless animations :ROFLMAO:
Valhalla seems a bit better tho.

It tries, never said it succeeds at it. ;)

Anyway, it seems it's another time sinker, I'll wait until it's 10 euro to buy it like with Odyssey. If it had significant next generation upgrades I would have given it a look earlier.

What you playing on bro?
Oops, Xbox one x. The last game I loved but had tearing like this was Far Cry 3 on the 360. 😂
Ubisoft loves their screen tearing.

I loved Origins, never could get too far in Odyssey. I wanted to love it because Sparta and all but it just didn’t click. I loved Egypt and Bayek but the gender neutral change killed the personality.

Eivor isn’t great but Iove, LOVE Norway and the snow so far. The world is great! I don’t generally play these for the story at this point because it’s too convoluted. It’s funny to me that it’s always chicks running the animus too. DIVERSITY YAY!!

Anyways, off to roll some heads.

Playing this on PC and loving it. It feels less bloated than Odyssey/Origins, in those game one small city could have 10 silly sidequests and 5 different collectibles.

In Valhalla it seems World Event have replaced sidequests so my quest log is not cluttered with 30 quests.

Also it seems it's much less of a loot (wpn/armor) game than the previous two. In Odyssey I would have so much useless loot, in Valhalla it seems the only way to get loot is to raid villages and specific chests.

Personally I like this change. The loot system in Odyssey made the weapon pool too diluted in my opinion. This setup is more souls like where there’s limited weapons but they can be upgraded to improve them.

I’m still early on in this as I’m clearing as much as I can in Norway before I complete the story missions that I assume are all prologue.

Oh and finally muh representation! Not often we see a blond haired white male lead! Am I allowed to be proud of that? 😂👌🏻

This game has much better story telling than odyssey. It keeps you glued to the main story instead of free raoming which is both good and bad lol.

I agree on this. I keep having to pull myself away from the story to do exploration. It definitely tries to funnel you right through the story missions if you let it.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

08b95a9ee7e370c9356786f1ea5fc8e8.png

Also feels like 32% to be honest anyway a quick update on my review of the game.

Visuals:

First two days existed out of norway and bottom side of my camp area where i did a bunch of exploration + some quests. the visuals where absolutely fantastic however day 3 and 4 i moved more to the top of the camp and frankly there are some area's that look a bit rough on the eyes. Still lots of eye candy everywhere to be found so its solid. Still better than odyssey.

However some cutscenes have some weird downgrade in visual quality almost like they are prerecorded on super low settings, when u take over the game again the quality instantly jumps up. Weird probably getting ironed out at some point.

Performance:

Steady performance didn't dip much under the 60, howevers high 60 with sometimes 100's and sometimes dips to lower 50's ( lunden sewer with torch ) so not to much of a issue. Game plays butter smooth, more stable then odyssey funny enough but less then origin which is understandable. Loading times are vastly improved now and with some tuning yourself u can get the game to boot a lot more faster also which makes it even more snappier.

Story ( main quests ):

Probably the best story so far out of the 3 assassin creed games ( origin / odyssey / valhalla ). Odyssey main story was straight up bad and origin was solid. I like the arcs of different places a lot with a overlap story. It feels fresh and it keeps you going. Never does it feel like a repeat and everytime i start a new arc to make alliances u wonder what this story is going to be. I also like that it doesn't overstay its time and ends fast. Also not predictable they really worked well here. My only issue is that u can't explore certain stuff without having passed it in the main quest because doors will not unlock before. Really annoying they should not have done this. But oh well.

Side -Quests:

Far far far far far better then in odyssey and more in line with origin if not better. Every quest feels unique feels like the character is alive and unique and u go with it. From stuff like, 2 guys want to burn down a empty house to practise a raid but forget the torch and are bitching at eachother ( they have there most worth items in that house as loot ). so u help them out and burn the house. then they want to raid the house but forgot the key from the front door obviously as they forget the torch also and ask you to get there items out of the house when they panic.

It's small humor but also really hard hitting serious side quests as example a girl that waits for her dad to come back and sits there until the last leaf drops from the tree and u need to help her wake up from her illusion so she moves forwards. All of it feels unique different and interesting.

But also a new puzzle that i encountered with shrooms where u need to look around u to see something logical to complete it. I like those.

Puzzles:

There are puzzle quests where u gotta figure treasure maps out or figure out through letters what is going on, or straight up lissen to random dialogue to figure things out which is incredible hard sometimes but a interesting concept i like it.

Animus:

Miles better then in odyssey/origin, i like the puzzles they push forwards even while i have no clue where this is going so far only encountered 2 of those it got my attention for sure.

Exploration:

First 2 days norway and bottom side of england where interesting to say the least, i couldn't stop exploring because all kind of new things u encounter in this game and it never gets old enviroments look drop dead beautiful at times. day 3 and forwards did more the top area's and it started to feel more like odyssey / origin here where u start to go more on foot.. Still every area looked unique and fights are always different which in odyssey wasn't the case, it really feels like the same with more unique npc's better then the installments before it. as in origin and specially odyssey it was just repeat of the same encounter 100 times over to create content. Environments look good and caves etc are all looking different somewhat. I was a bit disappointed they didn't add much more different type of exploration things in it because a select few new ones which i didn't encounter much of also maybe 5 in total which isn't tha tmuch.. still its great to explore everywhere so that's solid.

Mini games:

There are really just 3 mini games i encountered so far. the rap battles or whatever they call it are solid nothing special but doable, the drink game is the absolute worst and the board game is great to play. Reminds me a bit of witcher.

Edit: There is actually another one i encountered tho some stone piling but i only encountered a single one of those so maybe i am blind but i can't seem to find them.

Boss fights:

Nothing special really, the moment i started to do those fights i destroy them with the gear i got pretty easily now ( play it on the hardest modes on all settings ). But that's because i always build in a certain direction.

Raids:

Interesting concept doesn't work well in my view. I only use them now to open chests and doors with and that's about it. I clear the camps solo as its more efficient then call them in. Wish they made them a bit more useful.

Talent tree:

Still not happy about it, i am currently something like 145 level i think and still got 1-2 more area's to unlock in the tree to see what is available. I wish u could see what the game served from the start. Feel like i am burning through a lot of useless points because of it.

Also wish they would pull the pet system back again from odyssey which was really fun to play and its kinda gone now.

Gear:

Improvement for sure over odyssey where u had millions of pieces that just got annoying. The amount of gear u get now is far more limited but this also means u need to adjust your play style and if you don't read up on the gear ways on the internet u will have a rough time knowing what to do. I just yolo upgraded my bow i got from the start and that ended up being a good choice as its a well balanced bow. Sadly all the power comes really from upgrades it seems which u need a lot of materials for and kinda limits you in moving to other gear pieces as result. Also if you want to build a specific build from the start u can be out of luck because u will get the weapon like 20 hours in the game as u didn't move there first which is annoying to say the least, i googled my last piece of my set so i could start upgrading ( hunter set ) because good luck finding it on your own.

However when u get a piece of gear now it feels rewarded instead of just another trash item, so its a good job done here even while its not perfect.

Upgrades / materials:

I do a lot of side quests and a lot of exploration to the point i can't complete more in a area before i have to start the main quest again to move forwards to the next area basically. And still materials are to short and upgrades get blocked by it. I can only imagine a person that only plays the main quest will have massive issue's getting materials for its gear to upgrade. I wish they upped the drops on certain stuff a lot more.

Anyway got 150 opals for the shop mount and bought that one, and it looks badass. ( spoilered it for whatever reason ). will replace my wolf now.

325d0df5097befd24753b3ae383712a6.gif

Controls:

U need to get used towards it from odyssey no clue why they always seem to change this kinda annoying. Had a rought time at the start i can handle myself better now. Some controls however like dodging feel clunky at times through huge skill delays. U really specially on the hardest mode gotta be super careful because even the smaller minions can 1/2 shot you.

Boat / mount:

Was interesting in norway, interesting in england with raid but its becoming in england more a novelty the more i play as u really don't need it. It's faster to just use your mount. With it added something more than what it does now, but still it's not in the way either ( keep in mind i am just 32% through the game and still lots of stuff to do so it could be more focus will be pushed on this.

Mount is steep upgrade from odyssey more in line with origin but better. U can now swim with it, it doesn't get stuck or turns around 24/7 everywhere in a corner it just works. Main complain is the wolf barely to any footsteps to the point i just wanted to drop it for a horse which i did now.

Difficulty:

Hard as hell on hardest mode, 1 shot all day long in norway and england, now with more gear and ability's its not that hard anymore. Still getting 1/2 shot by a harder monster is nice to see. Its not uncommon i reload a mission a few times as result in the start of the game because of getting deleted, now however it doesn't happen that often anymore. But that's also because i am way outleveled for the area i sit in. The next area is of my level.

Raven/reveal:

Still feels completely useless in this game, don't get me wrong the bird and hovering over every single camp to see mobs on the map was annoying as hell but atleast it gave u a good idea that there was something. the raven barely does anything. Only thing i search with it is materials and staircases and that's about it. Reveal is a lot better tho then the other games i like it a lot.

Abilitys:

Most have always felt useless but the ones i use right now are absolutely fantastic even while one of my ability's is bugged. I can press r execute anymore because it shouts with my hunter bow 2 arrows then.
I do think ability's need rebalancing tho because some of them are straight up overpowered while others feel totally useless.

Getting new ability's is interesting how they did it. I kinda like this. Luckily my main abilities i got already from early on. however again the same problem i got with gear there needs to be a way for you to figure out those ability's on how to get them as it can get annoying for replays.

Bugs:

The map picture department online section is permanent offline for the simple fact tons of players so understandable and probably for the better. Doesn't really effect anything gameplay wise. I did however bugged out one quest by moving into a area earlier then my main quest which didn't spawn certain npc's at locations and once i did the main quest i messed up the script. ( guy with jars in lunden ) to the point the obstacles are floating and bugged. So basically gg. probably have to upload my save file to ubisoft at some point so they can fix it but oh well.

Other then that fantastic launch not much bugs of any kind really. I think i crashed 2-3 times in total randomly but that wasn't much of a issue.

Saving:

Origin was great, odyssey was terrible ( auto save solution ) valhalla is great again. So good job on that.

Maps area's:

Norway: fantastic, i think its the perfect size for it, doesn't feel small but also not massive.
England : as i like big ac games with lots of content i got the feeling it will be a bit low on the content side for this map. For normal people it will be absolutely overwhelming but i like to grind stuff out we will see tho still lots of areas to explore. The amount of content is good so far.

Vinland / god worlds i didn't do anything here yet. I just got he quest for vinland and wonder how big that is going to be ( canada basically ) was suprised this is in it. NPC told me i have to leave my equipment in my settlement so i wonder if its going to be a small little area like botw where u gotta start from scratch again or a full fletched norway map. I hope the last part but i dunno, i will play it tomorrow so kinda hopeful it has some meaty content. The god world i avoided everything still did nothing on it other then build her a house. i will do that at the end of the game. I hope its some good solid long content however i don't think it will be the case. We will see tho. hyped for it that's for sure but will wait until the end with it ( much like what odyssey / origin did ) hopefully i don't fuck myself over this way.

Amount of content:

Impressed by how well the game keeps up so far, everything looks interesting everything is well worked out and it feels like a good successor towards the ac franchise and a big upgrade from what odyssey was on every front. I hope the content keeps up and i will be a happy camper.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
08b95a9ee7e370c9356786f1ea5fc8e8.png

Also feels like 32% to be honest anyway a quick update on my review of the game.

Visuals:

First two days existed out of norway and bottom side of my camp area where i did a bunch of exploration + some quests. the visuals where absolutely fantastic however day 3 and 4 i moved more to the top of the camp and frankly there are some area's that look a bit rough on the eyes. Still lots of eye candy everywhere to be found so its solid. Still better than odyssey.

However some cutscenes have some weird downgrade in visual quality almost like they are prerecorded on super low settings, when u take over the game again the quality instantly jumps up. Weird probably getting ironed out at some point.

Performance:

Steady performance didn't dip much under the 60, howevers high 60 with sometimes 100's and sometimes dips to lower 50's ( lunden sewer with torch ) so not to much of a issue. Game plays butter smooth, more stable then odyssey funny enough but less then origin which is understandable. Loading times are vastly improved now and with some tuning yourself u can get the game to boot a lot more faster also which makes it even more snappier.

Story ( main quests ):

Probably the best story so far out of the 3 assassin creed games ( origin / odyssey / valhalla ). Odyssey main story was straight up bad and origin was solid. I like the arcs of different places a lot with a overlap story. It feels fresh and it keeps you going. Never does it feel like a repeat and everytime i start a new arc to make alliances u wonder what this story is going to be. I also like that it doesn't overstay its time and ends fast. Also not predictable they really worked well here. My only issue is that u can't explore certain stuff without having passed it in the main quest because doors will not unlock before. Really annoying they should not have done this. But oh well.

Side -Quests:

Far far far far far better then in odyssey and more in line with origin if not better. Every quest feels unique feels like the character is alive and unique and u go with it. From stuff like, 2 guys want to burn down a empty house to practise a raid but forget the torch and are bitching at eachother ( they have there most worth items in that house as loot ). so u help them out and burn the house. then they want to raid the house but forgot the key from the front door obviously as they forget the torch also and ask you to get there items out of the house when they panic.

It's small humor but also really hard hitting serious side quests as example a girl that waits for her dad to come back and sits there until the last leaf drops from the tree and u need to help her wake up from her illusion so she moves forwards. All of it feels unique different and interesting.

But also a new puzzle that i encountered with shrooms where u need to look around u to see something logical to complete it. I like those.

Puzzles:

There are puzzle quests where u gotta figure treasure maps out or figure out through letters what is going on, or straight up lissen to random dialogue to figure things out which is incredible hard sometimes but a interesting concept i like it.

Animus:

Miles better then in odyssey/origin, i like the puzzles they push forwards even while i have no clue where this is going so far only encountered 2 of those it got my attention for sure.

Exploration:

First 2 days norway and bottom side of england where interesting to say the least, i couldn't stop exploring because all kind of new things u encounter in this game and it never gets old enviroments look drop dead beautiful at times. day 3 and forwards did more the top area's and it started to feel more like odyssey / origin here where u start to go more on foot.. Still every area looked unique and fights are always different which in odyssey wasn't the case, it really feels like the same with more unique npc's better then the installments before it. as in origin and specially odyssey it was just repeat of the same encounter 100 times over to create content. Environments look good and caves etc are all looking different somewhat. I was a bit disappointed they didn't add much more different type of exploration things in it because a select few new ones which i didn't encounter much of also maybe 5 in total which isn't tha tmuch.. still its great to explore everywhere so that's solid.

Mini games:

There are really just 3 mini games i encountered so far. the rap battles or whatever they call it are solid nothing special but doable, the drink game is the absolute worst and the board game is great to play. Reminds me a bit of witcher.

Edit: There is actually another one i encountered tho some stone piling but i only encountered a single one of those so maybe i am blind but i can't seem to find them.

Boss fights:

Nothing special really, the moment i started to do those fights i destroy them with the gear i got pretty easily now ( play it on the hardest modes on all settings ). But that's because i always build in a certain direction.

Raids:

Interesting concept doesn't work well in my view. I only use them now to open chests and doors with and that's about it. I clear the camps solo as its more efficient then call them in. Wish they made them a bit more useful.

Talent tree:

Still not happy about it, i am currently something like 145 level i think and still got 1-2 more area's to unlock in the tree to see what is available. I wish u could see what the game served from the start. Feel like i am burning through a lot of useless points because of it.

Also wish they would pull the pet system back again from odyssey which was really fun to play and its kinda gone now.

Gear:

Improvement for sure over odyssey where u had millions of pieces that just got annoying. The amount of gear u get now is far more limited but this also means u need to adjust your play style and if you don't read up on the gear ways on the internet u will have a rough time knowing what to do. I just yolo upgraded my bow i got from the start and that ended up being a good choice as its a well balanced bow. Sadly all the power comes really from upgrades it seems which u need a lot of materials for and kinda limits you in moving to other gear pieces as result. Also if you want to build a specific build from the start u can be out of luck because u will get the weapon like 20 hours in the game as u didn't move there first which is annoying to say the least, i googled my last piece of my set so i could start upgrading ( hunter set ) because good luck finding it on your own.

However when u get a piece of gear now it feels rewarded instead of just another trash item, so its a good job done here even while its not perfect.

Upgrades / materials:

I do a lot of side quests and a lot of exploration to the point i can't complete more in a area before i have to start the main quest again to move forwards to the next area basically. And still materials are to short and upgrades get blocked by it. I can only imagine a person that only plays the main quest will have massive issue's getting materials for its gear to upgrade. I wish they upped the drops on certain stuff a lot more.

Anyway got 150 opals for the shop mount and bought that one, and it looks badass. ( spoilered it for whatever reason ). will replace my wolf now.

325d0df5097befd24753b3ae383712a6.gif

Controls:

U need to get used towards it from odyssey no clue why they always seem to change this kinda annoying. Had a rought time at the start i can handle myself better now. Some controls however like dodging feel clunky at times through huge skill delays. U really specially on the hardest mode gotta be super careful because even the smaller minions can 1/2 shot you.

Boat / mount:

Was interesting in norway, interesting in england with raid but its becoming in england more a novelty the more i play as u really don't need it. It's faster to just use your mount. With it added something more than what it does now, but still it's not in the way either ( keep in mind i am just 32% through the game and still lots of stuff to do so it could be more focus will be pushed on this.

Mount is steep upgrade from odyssey more in line with origin but better. U can now swim with it, it doesn't get stuck or turns around 24/7 everywhere in a corner it just works. Main complain is the wolf barely to any footsteps to the point i just wanted to drop it for a horse which i did now.

Difficulty:

Hard as hell on hardest mode, 1 shot all day long in norway and england, now with more gear and ability's its not that hard anymore. Still getting 1/2 shot by a harder monster is nice to see. Its not uncommon i reload a mission a few times as result in the start of the game because of getting deleted, now however it doesn't happen that often anymore. But that's also because i am way outleveled for the area i sit in. The next area is of my level.

Raven/reveal:

Still feels completely useless in this game, don't get me wrong the bird and hovering over every single camp to see mobs on the map was annoying as hell but atleast it gave u a good idea that there was something. the raven barely does anything. Only thing i search with it is materials and staircases and that's about it. Reveal is a lot better tho then the other games i like it a lot.

Abilitys:

Most have always felt useless but the ones i use right now are absolutely fantastic even while one of my ability's is bugged. I can press r execute anymore because it shouts with my hunter bow 2 arrows then.
I do think ability's need rebalancing tho because some of them are straight up overpowered while others feel totally useless.

Getting new ability's is interesting how they did it. I kinda like this. Luckily my main abilities i got already from early on. however again the same problem i got with gear there needs to be a way for you to figure out those ability's on how to get them as it can get annoying for replays.

Bugs:

The map picture department online section is permanent offline for the simple fact tons of players so understandable and probably for the better. Doesn't really effect anything gameplay wise. I did however bugged out one quest by moving into a area earlier then my main quest which didn't spawn certain npc's at locations and once i did the main quest i messed up the script. ( guy with jars in lunden ) to the point the obstacles are floating and bugged. So basically gg. probably have to upload my save file to ubisoft at some point so they can fix it but oh well.

Other then that fantastic launch not much bugs of any kind really. I think i crashed 2-3 times in total randomly but that wasn't much of a issue.

Saving:

Origin was great, odyssey was terrible ( auto save solution ) valhalla is great again. So good job on that.

Maps area's:

Norway: fantastic, i think its the perfect size for it, doesn't feel small but also not massive.
England : as i like big ac games with lots of content i got the feeling it will be a bit low on the content side for this map. For normal people it will be absolutely overwhelming but i like to grind stuff out we will see tho still lots of areas to explore. The amount of content is good so far.

Vinland / god worlds i didn't do anything here yet. I just got he quest for vinland and wonder how big that is going to be ( canada basically ) was suprised this is in it. NPC told me i have to leave my equipment in my settlement so i wonder if its going to be a small little area like botw where u gotta start from scratch again or a full fletched norway map. I hope the last part but i dunno, i will play it tomorrow so kinda hopeful it has some meaty content. The god world i avoided everything still did nothing on it other then build her a house. i will do that at the end of the game. I hope its some good solid long content however i don't think it will be the case. We will see tho. hyped for it that's for sure but will wait until the end with it ( much like what odyssey / origin did ) hopefully i don't fuck myself over this way.

Amount of content:

Impressed by how well the game keeps up so far, everything looks interesting everything is well worked out and it feels like a good successor towards the ac franchise and a big upgrade from what odyssey was on every front. I hope the content keeps up and i will be a happy camper.
So for someone who loved Origins and liked Odyssey, can you recommend it at full price?

Edit: Screw it, i went for the Gold Edition

Last edited:
I just played through Unity in PC and for me, it seems it's issued have been ironed out. It's an incredibly stunning game and it sucks that it was pushed too early as it's still the best looking AC with the absolute best parkour.

I enjoyed what I played years ago, but couldn't get over clothing constantly changing on NPCs in crowds as you walked around. Is that still a thing? If not, I'd happily get back into it.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I enjoyed what I played years ago, but couldn't get over clothing constantly changing on NPCs in crowds as you walked around. Is that still a thing? If not, I'd happily get back into it.
It does still happen, but it's a lot less of an issue than it was years ago. Unity is in a great state at the moment. The parkour is crazy addictive once you grasp the nuance of it all. It still looks stunning too. It's the last time that "social stealth" was actually fun and useful as well. Unity is one of the best games in the series, Ubi just shot themselves in the foot by doing what they had a bad history of doing at that point in time and releasing games waaayyyyy too early. It bit them in the ass too with Unity because so many eyeballs were on it because it was the first next-gen release. Sucks too, because the game is crazy good, but Unity took all the criticisms of the technical bugs as criticisms of the game when the two really shouldn't have been compared.

Not a bad video if you want a fresher perspective from 2020 on Unity:

Last edited:
It does still happen, but it's a lot less of an issue than it was years ago. Unity is in a great state at the moment. The parkour is crazy addictive once you grasp the nuance of it all. It still looks stunning too. It's the last time that "social stealth" was actually fun and useful as well. Unity is one of the best games in the series, Ubi just shot themselves in the foot by doing what they had a bad history of doing at that point in time and releasing games waaayyyyy too early. It bit them in the ass too with Unity because so many eyeballs were on it because it was the first next-gen release. Sucks too, because the game is crazy good, but Unity took all the criticisms of the technical bugs as criticisms of the game when the two really shouldn't have been compared.

Awesome - thanks for the vids. Will watch over lunch today! (y)

MastAndo

Gold Member
I'll say it again. I REALLY like this game, but it needed about an extra month in the oven and/or a quality of life/bug patch or two to clear up these issues that keep it from being something special. I've spent 25 hours with this one and am playing at a very leisurely pace since I like it so much, but these bugs are just everywhere. I don't play a ton of games, but I'm having trouble recalling the last time I've so many things in an AAA title creep up like this.

I really like how the side content is handled, but a lot of it is butchered by weird bugs. Hopefully not spoiling anything, but one quest had me track down a "beast" and when the encounter came, I must have triggered an assassination I wasn't supposed to - it cut to a cutscene abruptly and I was suddenly on the other side of the room and the beast twitching in the corner. The reveal felt "off" as a result, as is common in this one. Just a few moments ago, I initiated my first romance, and was about to get lucky, when suddenly my wolfdog Mouse was in the room for some reason, glitching through the bedpost during a cutscene and blocking the camera...granted, it was hilarious, but I thought the build up to the romance had been done pretty well only to have it, once again, fall flat. Add this to consistently weird animations, glitchy NPC's, and traversal that is inexplicably clunkier and less reliable than Odyssey and it all just hurts the immersion. It especially sucks since the game world is so easy to get lost in. It's downright magical at times and mostly very well done.

Plus, some QoL stuff is missing - things like not being able to compare items in the shop to what you already have, or not being able to preview cosmetics, which is just inexcusable. I'm guessing this is all the result of the quarantine's effect on the usual QA, compounded with a rushed release - it's a bit of a shame as it's a really great game, riddled with some annoying issues. It does get a whole lot right though, and I'm very much looking forward to playing through this one. I just have to remember to manually save, as most of the time, my automatic/cloud saves give an "Online Service Error" when loading, as does viewing screenshots on the map that I (and others) have taken...yep, more bugs. :/

Last edited:

Stuart360

lol, anuyone find that side quest titled 'The Prodogy' where the npc called 'Keith' wants to sing music for the 'gilted generation' but the monks wont let him?.
I thought it was a nice nod to Keith. A cool thing from Ubisoft.

thatJohann

BTW, screen tearing looks to be completely gone in PS5 from today's 1.10 patch, at least based in my experience in the Jorvik level. Pre-patch, this level had non-stop tearing in the middle of the screen and it was pretty horrid. Worse than any other level. Post patch I have seen no screen tearing at all. I think the jump from 1.04 to 1.10 brought some really good performance improvements. Game is smooth as butter and doesn't tear. Good patch!

Rikkori

Ultimate edition worth it? All versions are on sale on Xbox\PS5. $15 over gold, worth it?
Wait to see what the DLC is actually like first. Origins & Odyssey had A++ tier DLC but you never know how it turns out. Personally I paid 7.5€ for playing through the base game (ubi+) and I thought it was worth about that much, but probably not more. Game starts off strong but peters out, and some gameplay features in particular just fall apart eg Castle sieges. Way too scripted & buggy, to the point you'd rather not do it at all. Imo this is by far the weakest of the trilogy, so I'd not rush to pay near full price for it.

Mahavastu

Ultimate edition worth it? All versions are on sale on Xbox\PS5. $15 over gold, worth it?
it has the Season Pass / DLCs included.
One of them is about invading Paris which seems like a pretty interesting long story.

Sounds interesting, maybe it is worth the $15 if you like Valhalla

Last edited:

Gamerasi

The sound quality of the game and the feeling of combat satiety disappointed me. Especially after playing Demon's Souls Remake.

it has the Season Pass / DLCs included.
One of them is about invading Paris which seems like a pretty interesting long story.

Sounds interesting, maybe it is worth the $15 if you like Valhalla

Sorry, I wasnt about the DLC, I was asking about the next level,

"The ultimate edition comes with the game, the season pass, and the Ultimate Pack, which includes the following exclusive customization content: the Berserker Gear Pack, the Berserker Settlement Pack and the Berserker Longship Pack, along with a Set of Runes to improve weapons or gear."

They want another $15 for that but I dont know this game enough to know if that is worth it.

base

Banned
Total dissapointment. The beginning is slow, doesn't want us to play any further. Boring as hell even in England. I thought Odyssey was terrible but it seems Ubi can still do worse. My last AC.

Coming from a fan. Loved the Ezio Trilogy but now I think they should just close the story and stop releasing new episodes.

Total dissapointment. The beginning is slow, doesn't want us to play any further. Boring as hell even in England. I thought Odyssey was terrible but it seems Ubi can still do worse. My last AC.

Coming from a fan. Loved the Ezio Trilogy but now I think they should just close the story and stop releasing new episodes.
It’s my first asscreed since the very first original, didn’t realise it turned into huge open world RPG lite.
The gameplay is just repetitive, uninspired and basic. Was fun at first but quickly got old fast. I really cba finishing it since it’s massive and im only in Sussex. I’m slowly giving up.

I do want to see how the story ends

Mahavastu

"The ultimate edition comes with the game, the season pass, and the Ultimate Pack, which includes the following exclusive customization content: the Berserker Gear Pack, the Berserker Settlement Pack and the Berserker Longship Pack, along with a Set of Runes to improve weapons or gear."

They want another $15 for that but I dont know this game enough to know if that is worth it.
For that I would not pay money...

Kenpachii

Runes are kinda useless, beserker settlement pack is just some random skins for your base basically, i didn't like them so never used them. Beserk gear pack, u can't use it directly at the start like in origin and odyssey u need to get out of norway to england to be able to get it i believe ( or close to the end of norway main story ) which at that point u already have other gear so again useless unless u want the specific perks of the gear not worth it. The boat skin useless, the moment u can give you boat a skin which is in england u probably never use it again. The only region where the boat is useful is norway and u cant use the skins for it there ( could have changed with patches tho not sure ) but kinda useless.

Really it all comes down to you wanting the wolf as mount. Personally not a huge fan of the wolf as again u can't use it at the start when this would be super handy but u gotta wait until england, the wolf paws make no sound, which is really weird sounding and he howls like a retard a lot. I like the horses more. But that's just me. Never used it after 1 hour of usage.

The bonus digital quest beowolf is not worth it also, terrible straight up 10 minutes of content which is nothing if you compare it towards other stuff in the game.

In short not worth it, origin it was mighty worth it and even in odyssey because it gave you a bit of a edge at the start, here not really.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
This game has much better story telling than odyssey. It keeps you glued to the main story instead of free raoming which is both good and bad lol.
Don't know what game you're playing but this game has no story, it's alliances, alliances and more alliances

I was entertained with odyssey, now I can't wait to finish this. Only reason I keep playing is because I love the setting

Runes are kinda useless, beserker settlement pack is just some random skins for your base basically, i didn't like them so never used them. Beserk gear pack, u can't use it directly at the start like in origin and odyssey u need to get out of norway to england to be able to get it i believe ( or close to the end of norway main story ) which at that point u already have other gear so again useless unless u want the specific perks of the gear not worth it. The boat skin useless, the moment u can give you boat a skin which is in england u probably never use it again. The only region where the boat is useful is norway and u cant use the skins for it there ( could have changed with patches tho not sure ) but kinda useless.

Really it all comes down to you wanting the wolf as mount. Personally not a huge fan of the wolf as again u can't use it at the start when this would be super handy but u gotta wait until england, the wolf paws make no sound, which is really weird sounding and he howls like a retard a lot. I like the horses more. But that's just me. Never used it after 1 hour of usage.

The bonus digital quest beowolf is not worth it also, terrible straight up 10 minutes of content which is nothing if you compare it towards other stuff in the game.

In short not worth it, origin it was mighty worth it and even in odyssey because it gave you a bit of a edge at the start, here not really.
Thanks guys, I'll just get the gold. Maybe even Vanilla.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I should really go back and give this another go. I think I played it on a Core i5 2500k and GTX 970 back in the day. Would love to see how it looks and runs now on much better hardware.

Is there any way (via mods or otherwise) to really stretch out the LOD rendering for crowds and especially buildings? The super aggressive LOD settings really ruined the otherwise incredible aesthetic a lot of the time.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Can anyone tell me if more things appear on the map. I've been playing for 3 hours now and there's very little to do. I've killed a couple of deer and collected a couple of treasures, and the rest of the map is empty.

edit: I've quit it for now. I'm pretty pissed I've spent £40 on this. What's the point in having huge landmasses with nothing on them? Odyssey buries this easily.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

finished it after playing 67h, most of aliance map mission should be optional (better to be quite good optional mission than boring main one) and many bugs but graphics are good (dynamic 4k is really sharp on ps5 and 60fps is stable mostly beside Jorvik city), Eivor is easy to like character and I'm fan of it 9th century vikings/englad world. For me best new assasin, 8/10

Last edited:

devilNprada

This game is so bugged..

I am stuck now having done all areas 100% with not enough building materials to take my village to level 6.. But all buildings are upgraded including fowl farm and the the additional late house..
I can't seem to get the final end main story quest either..

I am hoping a bug due to the holiday yule tide update.

AJUMP23

Why does this game have such a horrendous save game glitch. I have been collecting the tablets for Excalibur and just finished the Cent storyline. I had 10 tablets. The game will not load an earlier save I had so I quit out. When I came back it lost all my Excalibur progress. Every tablet. And put in the middle of the Cent storyline still.

I am on Series X and think it may have something to do with quick resume and ubi connect not working well together.

Buhaj

Is this worth picking up more than Odyssey? The only AC I played so far was Origins and I quite liked it (setting, story, side missions). I'm reading some good things on Unity, how does it compare?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

100% the First DLC Wrath of the Druid ( PC )

It took me a while before i started it for the simple reason, that the game on launch day was a crash fest. So now with the 1.3 patch for there next DLC it was time to revisit it.

What does Wrath of the Druid DLC contain:

- Ireland Map
- 3-4 regions ( not sure if dublin was a region ( 3 big sized area's )
- 1 big story that involves kings and druids ( ~10 hours long )
- New characters
- New legendary items
- New Enemy's
- New mechanics for fighting
- Trade posts system ( basically u can now get remote places under your belt and upgrade them to generate resources in order to upgrade your settlement
- New settlement in the form of a city that u gotta upgrade ( liked this system )
- Bird house which gives additional missions quests.
- Probably about ~70 or something things to explore on the map good amount of content
- Boss fights.
- New order.
- Old mechanics like piling up stones return, some older mechanics like puzzle jump thingy's won't return ( sadly )
- New talents, max level for talent wise raised from 400 > 466 to get everything. ( bird looting is real big qualify if life improvement )
- Beautiful landscape and lightning which makes it really feel like something as a next gen witcher game. ( without the dog shit witcher fight system )

9643fa8682fda3526b053e79468e3b11.jpg

76448225021a50f02ac2dfcac1b3d79a.gif

eaa51bf5294e1a9f284fe73ea0eb7dd4.jpg

cc4e7873940250cf15ebbc8481f7dab8.jpg

6cc64b46d45168c692edadc7c4502df5.jpg

396bfc3be2bdbc3f87437f7a25ee973e.jpg

a6d2586fa23490d162ab6b31003ef68a.jpg

Lenght:

Normal, first DLC's are not that long for AC expansions they are normally 12 hours long if you complete them for 100% probably 6-8 if you rush through the main story and call it quits.
Wrath of the druid can be completed story wise in about 10-12 hours i would assume. If you want to 100% the map out its probably a bit longer 15 hours. Personally it took me 18 hours because i explored the environment first before doing anything.

Refreshing or more of the same?

It's basically more of the same of england.

Negatives:

- Crashes randomly, could be my system i have a aggressive overclock. However no other game gives me issue's or even the main game of valhalla the DLC does. It's a shame tho. But still can't entirely blame them for it ( to lazy to downclock so i just dealt with it
- New mechanics could go a bit deeper or more rewards out of it
- Gearing stays lackbusting and not interesting in my opinion, gear not exactly explains how much a stat increases, makes gear just non interesting and basically worthless. ( didn't used any gear out of the new dlc ).
- New skills are useful ( raven looting should have been a thing in the main game for sure ), and materials are easy to find.
- Ireland itself is a nice sized area, however not a big fan of cutting u off and not being able to sail around it completely, wish they removed that.
- Fights are to easy even on hard mode. They need a harder difficulty, the self healing talent is absolutely insanely overpowered.
- Ship raiding still useless and the raiders still only used as glorified chest openers.
- AI is dumb as a brick, it could use some more attention here.
- Would loved to see some hallucinating puzzles or jump puzzles into the area, dissapointing it wasn't there
- God area specially in something like "druid dlc" should have existed specially now there isn't a big god DLC as second dlc, every dlc should have its own area. ( shame, specially as i expected it to happen when u hit the absolute last part of the dlc ).
- fishing sacrifice totems need to be removed. hate it with a passion.
- Start of the DLC is lackbusting, it feels like another generic england area starting zone. It really makes it hard for you to feel like u are in something new ( ac origin did this the best ). It gets better if you give it time tho.
- For a DRUID and horror type of expansion, there was little druid or horror into the game. Felt a bit let down on this front.
- Same area everywhere with little changes, would have liked if there was a bit of snow in a area with high peaks. ( there are high mountains tho ).
- The order NPC's doesn't spawn on the map before u find the clue's. Which makes you backtrack multiple times which is absolutely a shit system. They should always be on the map.

DLC worth it?

DLC is basically more of England but with some new elements mixed up to keep things a bit fresh and interesting. So unless u want more of that, i wouldn't bother with it. Still if you are a AC fan and like the first dlc in origin, u probably like this one also, feels kinda simulare. enough time and effort is poored into the dlc in my opinion to make it worth it.

Not sure if you can even buy the dlc seperate, but yea that's about it.

Did i get bored of playing it?

No, it keeps your attention towards the game perfectly fine, the extra trading solution was great as it felt like there was a extra layer u had to pay attention towards. The story is decent and the extra things on the map are solid.
It didn't overstay its welcome, however i also didn't wanted more of it.

Short conclusion:

Successful dlc i would say, i liked it.

Kenpachii

Review of Second DLC + total conclusion entire Valhalla.

Played on PC 1080p ultra settings, screenshots are taken in that quality.

The siege of Paris:

Contains:

- France Map
- 4 Regions total, 3 outer area's and 1 that is paris
- Story involves france vikings that u gotta help, church with cultists and france king with his bishops ( 5 hours long )
- New characters much like the first DLC
- Legendary items, that feel not legendary.
- No skill upgrades, other then 3 new ability's, just upgrades like 1% stuff.
- Few new enemy's
- New assassin system
- I would say about 50 things to explore on the map, honestly its dire on content.
- Boss fights
- No new order of any kind, not even more of the same just nothing.
- Missing a lot of base game, games, also no new games introduced. ( dire on content )
- No new talents, again dire on content.
- Generic more of england landscape but worse, doens't hold a candle to ireland.

Few screenshots.

ayzr7O7.jpg

H28uNbD.jpg

gFg0svw.jpg

1FpvWlM.jpg

OFFFP1A.jpg

vJhQKEQ.jpg

ZjEk0iE.jpg

Performance:

9900k 5ghz
3080 tuf oc 2000mhz+ oced.
32gb ddr3200
3,5gbps SSD

1080p, 76-130 fps depending on the area. Mostly CPU bound i would assume. Game is complete dog shit optimized for nvidia gpu's.

Lenght:

Absolutely a total joke, 5 hours of story quest and 4 hours of stuff to do on the map that was lacking in everything. 10 hours u are done no question about it, even Ireland is longer and far better made and actually had something interesting the druid solution in it + worked out better.

Paris feels like a rushed job, with content holded back or simple not resources spend on it. Total disappointment.

Honestly, second DLC of origin was about 30 hours ( a massive area with a village and outside skirts + 4 god worlds that all had there own map and there own story ), AC odyssey had like 3-4 hours of content before u even jump into the first world, and those 3 worlds are 10 hours each with a big map with multiple area's.

Honestly its a bad joke of a DLC.

Refreshing or more of the same?

Less of the same, didn't even got to a random area in the base game level, everything just feels the same, paris was uninspiring, nothing to really discover in any way other then generic loot n10. So yea worse then the base game something u wouldn't expect from the second DLC which is normally a juggernaut on content.

Story:

Choices don't seem to matter, u will always go in one direction from what i saw, nothing really feels like well worked out here and with the story being so short specailly for it being the second DLC ( seconed dlc's are always massive in AC games ) just feels like they didn't even try. When i saw the credits i honestly thought it was a bad joke.

List of negatives:

- No new talents like at all lol
- No new order, they didn't even bother.
- No god world or extension of it, i honestly wondered if they had a full blown god world or two additions as they sended you back at one point to england, but nope lol
- Characters are underwhelming and make no sense in the story, they just do whatever they wanna do
- Rat system is the worst system i experienced, u gotta hit rats u can't hit to push them in holes or they eat you alive. Like why not just use torches? so stupid.
- Sacrifice totems are still in, probably the worst shit they introduced in these games
- No god area's which the second DLC is famous for, its just pathethic.
- No order was found that day, terrible.
- Introduction of the DLC feels shoehorned and not worked out well at all, just feels like they added it in the last second
- Animations and character models where of questionable poor quality.
- No dice game, or hallucination games or jump platforms, nothing.
- Your crew and boat is completely useless in this map, not even funny how useless it was.
- AI is dumb as a brick still
- Nerved my bow build, which basically resulted in me using a skill now to 1 shot everything instead of just shooting
- Game on the hardest mode is extremely easy.
- Paris looked and content was underwhelming as hell and was small
- Outside area's felt like rushed in without any meaningful content
- New assassin system is dumb as hell, u can just take the target out and its easy win at that point
- Locking off castles etc which results in again story locking exploration, terrible fix it ubisoft.
- Crashed on making screenshots and crashed randomly once, which prevented me from making screenshots. Not going to lie, its so similaire like any england land i didn't feel like making much screenshots, ireland was already a disaster, its far better with paris but still problematic
- Performance is a joke for a system of this class, 100% they are nuking intel/nvidia hadware, as there is no way amd gets 70% more performance at times at 1080p. Terrible practice.

DLC worth it?

No.

Its a straight up downgrade from england, the content is absolutely lackbusting to the point i would not even want it as first DLC let alone the big DLC which is the second DLC.

It's clear to me, they are going ot release another season pass an djust release 2 more DLC's of 5-6 hours to milk money with the content they stripped from paris.

I must say i am not sure if i wanted 30 hours of paris, but in comparison towards witcher 3 last dlc, orgin / odyssey last dlc this is pathetic. There needs to be 2 more entire paris dlc's for me to make it worth it.

Did i get bored from playing it?

No, because before u get bored u need to have some content. However i still miss 2 meaningless chests in paris at the end which gives you some laether and stones because i just couldn't bother walking through the crappy paris city anymore searching for a hole that leads me to it filled with rats.

Short conclusion DLC :

Skip, unless u want more of england in a inferior level for another 10 hours 100%, or 6 hours for story only.

Total conclusion entire game:

Origin 100% + all DLC = 95 hours
Odyssey 100% + all DLC = 180 hours
Valhalla 100% + all DLC = 173 hours

If you look at the total picture and u buy everything together, the length of the game is nothing wrong with. It offers the content. The first DLC is good the main game is excellent but the 3rd DLC is just not worth it and massive disappointing.

I would rather had them strip the god worlds out of the main game, and slam paris into the main game as a another map + remove 1-3 maps out of england, and give us like with origin + odyssey a 30 hours second DLC totally focused on the god aspect of the game.

I feel like they blew to much on the base game which sacrifices the effort of the second dlc which honestly felt like they didn't spend any time on.

What needs to happen for there next game:

- Optimize your game for nvidia / intel hardware because honestly what u showcase here is pathethic and frankly i won't be part of the journey day one anymore if this isn't adressed.
- Get odyssey combat system back and to some degree loot + stats so u can specialize yourself, gear is a joke in this game feels totally useless and kills builds.
- Base game shorter, second DLC bigger, More focus on god worlds
- Won't be getting season pass anymore in the next game, didn't feel like that extra 40 bucks was worth it for the little content it added unless the main game will get cheaper with season pass together
- More time spend on animations and character models. Quality drops off hard in a lot of places.
- More interesting theater, norway was great sadly so litte of it, paris was dull as shit.

Rumored season pass 2?

So from rumors we will be seeing a second season pass which will give 2 dlc's again. If that's true and the second season pass contains the remaining 20 hours of the second DLC, i will not buy there next title anymore. unless it gets shipped for free to people that bought season pass on day 1 in expectation they get everything with there edition. If its free i can't complain.

trikster40

Weird to see this thread bumped since I’m actually playing it now. I just played thru Origins then Odyssey, figured I’d go thru all 3 and get them off my backlog.

Plays so different to Origins and Odyssey. I’m glad they stopped throwing gear at me. I can’t tell you how many times in Odyssey If start walking slow and it would take me 30 minutes to realize I was overburdened.

Overall, I think I like it best of the 3 revamped AC. Odyssey was definitely better than Origins, but I like the play style and the world of this for some reason. Greece and Egypt were great, but I like the raiding and the skill tree better.

Top Bottom