• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain Review Thread

Mista

Banned
H2x1_NSwitch_AstralChain_image1280w.jpg

Destructoid: 9/10
Whatever criticism you can throw at Astral Chain, you can't say it isn't unique. In the first few hours, I was all over the place when it came to an assessment, as it can take some time to really turn it up. But when it does it just clicks, and I don't want to stop playing it.
COG connected: 91/100
Astral Chain is an excellent action game that uses the Switch’s unique hardware in creative ways. It fits handsomely in PlatinumGames’ excellent catalog and should satisfy anyone who likes Japanese action RPGs, or third-person action games. It is a wholly satisfying experience.
Game Informer: 9/10
Astral Chain is fun from start to finish, and gives the player plenty to chew on in terms of side missions and post-game content
GameSpot: 8/10
Nintendo Switch exclusive Astral Chain elevates the stylish action genre with an inventive, gratifying combat system and an unrelenting sense of style
Twinfinite: 4.5/5
Astral Chain could is one of the best games on Nintendo Switch, period. PlatinumGames has proved, once again, that no one does stylish action games better, and I sincerely hope we get to return to the Ark again someday.
USgamer: 4/5
Astral Chain is the directorial debut of Nier Automata designer Takahisa Taura, and it proves that he's a creator worth paying attention to. Part melodramatic anime, part overly complicated Tamagotchi, it's an eminently playable action role-playing game that delivers the pleasure of good teamwork in a way few singleplayer games accomplish. Building on action design ideas seeded in Nier, Astral Chain encourages you to bond with your beloved pet cybermonster both on and off the battlefield. Then, it teaches you how to fight as one.
TheSixthAxis: 8/10
Astral Chain boasts the same winning elements of Platinum's finest work – exhilarating combat, characterful visuals, and a compelling story – but it loses a bit of personality. Where Bayonetta and 2B provided an emotional centre point for the fantastical storytelling, Astral Chain's unnecessarily silent protagonist is a charmless creation saved by an utterly charming world.
IGN: 9/10
Astral Chain is every bit as awesome as it looks in motion, which is to say it's downright incredible.
EuroGamer: Essential
Sprawling, varied and constantly stylish, Astral Chain is a very different breed of action game that ranks with Platinum's best.
MetaCritic: 88
OpenCritic: Mighty

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Starting in 90's, with the big corp reviewers. But going down to 70's when the indie reviews come in.

If I'm wrong, I'll run down my street in nothing but a gold thong and matching bra.

Last edited:

Hey Blinkin

Does anyone mind to let me know if any of the reviews mention how long the game is?

I'm at work and can't read all of these right now.

Happy to see it review well.

mejin

great scores for this one was expected. what really surprised me was Control...eating crow here

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Astral Chain is at once the most Platinum game to date and also the studio's biggest departure yet; it's where the outlandish combat of Bayonetta is lavishly embellished before it rubs up against puzzle-solving, dungeon traversal and environmental interrogation. There's nothing quite like it, in either the studio's back catalogue or elsewhere, though you can draw a clear line between Astral Chain and Nier: Automata, another variety box that was shares the same director, Takahisa Taura. For my money, Astral Chain is a much more refined, focussed experience.

MagnesG

Banned
Okay from what I've read, you can get about 20 hours of playtime in general for the first playthrough. Subsequent plays for higher difficulties will add more.

The battles are complex and unique enough and the downtime busywork are fun. Game is great, guys

DonF

Oh nice! looking great! Added to wishlist!

edit:
Gamespot
Nintendo Switch exclusive Astral Chain elevates the stylish action genre with an inventive, gratifying combat system and an unrelenting sense of style

lmao with this review, come on! Its platinum we are talking here! This could be said for every one of their games!

Last edited:
Top Bottom