• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain Review Thread

Otterz4Life

My game store jebaited me.......

vOhczGt.jpg

*finishes ringing me up* "Oh wait a minute......we weren't supposed to sell this to the 31st."
I'm so sad......
I’m getting my copy at Walmart too. $50!

Paltheos

For some reason I'm not excited about this one. I don't know why. Maybe because Platinum's been hit or miss for me. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For some reason I'm not excited about this one. I don't know why. Maybe because Platinum's been hit or miss for me. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Most of their "miss" ones were licence games like Legend of Korra and TMN, but almost all their original IP turned out great.

Vitacat

Oh yeah, this is out now!? EDIT: ok, it’s tomorrow.

Will pick up a copy ASAP. Gotta love Platinum, and the game looks amazing.

Any good deals around? Walmart is $50 in-store apparently? I wonder if Bestbuy will match?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Most of their "miss" ones were licence games like Legend of Korra and TMN, but almost all their original IP turned out great.
I got kinda burned out by hearing Platinum after Legend of Korra and Transformers. They felt like such a bite size version of their predecessors. It felt like the company was splitting and the "good" team was somehow focused on one project and the rest of the company was pushing out these smaller-games. Even after playing Korra, I had to go back to MGR for that fix again.

Went ahead preordered because of PG and teh reviews (that I haven't read or watched, actually I know absolutely nothing about this game). Hope I like it!

ExpandKong

Banned
I’ve been a little weirded out by this game’s timeline...like, Bayonetta 3 was announced with one trailer, then before we get another trailer for that, this game is announced and released?

I mean, I know things are always complicated with game development. That just always struck me as funny and, for whatever reason, kept me from getting too excited about this one.

Still, sounds really good. Will be picking up tomorrow.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’ve been a little weirded out by this game’s timeline...like, Bayonetta 3 was announced with one trailer, then before we get another trailer for that, this game is announced and released?

I mean, I know things are always complicated with game development. That just always struck me as funny and, for whatever reason, kept me from getting too excited about this one.

Still, sounds really good. Will be picking up tomorrow.
The difference is with Astral Chain wasn’t announced until it was good and ready, meanwhile Bayonetta 3 announced when the development barely started which is why when they announced it they nothing to show us.

Otterz4Life

Spend the extra money on a pro controller. Don't cheap out on that part. It's pretty much required, and it's fantastic.
Does the pro controller drift like the joy con? I’m still torn between Control and Astral Chain.

I was playing Splatoon 2 and my left stick, that I’ve already had repaired under warranty, is back drifting again. This is on top of the second joy con left stick that is drifting (that I bought to replace the first one while it was being repaired) that Nintendo refused to fix for free at the time.

I’m leaning toward Astral Chain, but a drifting left stick seems like an exercise in frustration for a game like this. I don’t want to buy the game and an new controller just to enjoy it properly.

Ivellios

Does the pro controller drift like the joy con? I’m still torn between Control and Astral Chain.

I was playing Splatoon 2 and my left stick, that I’ve already had repaired under warranty, is back drifting again. This is on top of the second joy con left stick that is drifting (that I bought to replace the first one while it was being repaired) that Nintendo refused to fix for free at the time.

I’m leaning toward Astral Chain, but a drifting left stick seems like an exercise in frustration for a game like this. I don’t want to buy the game and an new controller just to enjoy it properly.

I would like to know this as well. Playing a game like Astral Chain with my drifting joycons must be a nightmare.

Last edited:

Lunk

I've heard enough complaints that the story sabotages itself through anime and standardized narrative tropes that I don't bother to play it.

I was interested in this game becuase it seemed to marry great gameplay with great fantastical story. It doesn't even have to be some highly intellectually stimulating thesis, but if the story just devolves into brainless troping I'm gonna skip it pre-emptively.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I'm having to replace my Mario Odyssey wired controller. It keeps pressing down whenever its plugged in. The wired controllers feel loose inside, as if something could fall apart if you accidentally dropped it. I'm getting my replacement today just in time for Astral Chain.

I've heard enough complaints that the story sabotages itself through anime and standardized narrative tropes that I don't bother to play it.

I was interested in this game becuase it seemed to marry great gameplay with great fantastical story. It doesn't even have to be some highly intellectually stimulating thesis, but if the story just devolves into brainless troping I'm gonna skip it pre-emptively.

I’ve only finished the first 2 files, but the whole game from the beginning is OTT anime tropes. Doesn’t bother me any as I don’t come to platinum games for story.

Seems cool so far, some nice set pieces. I’m very early on but I hope the combat gets a little more involved when I unlock new Legions etc.

Last edited:

ChuyMasta

I’ve used my pro extensively since launch and haven’t had any issues. Played Mario kart and smash to death with it with no stick drift at all!

I'll be the bearer of bad news. I got a pair of launch Pro controllers and my main one started to drift a few days ago. Granted, I play a lot....like, I look at my profile and I feel a little shame.

Outrunner

How much do you think the story matters in such a game? The game's selling point is the combat and the overal gameplay experience and those are pretty good.

McCheese

I'm pretty bad at these sorts of games, never finished Bayonetta due to difficulty. Is it possible to "grind" in this game to make it easier? I hear it has some sort of RPG-lite elements and skill trees.

Smasher89

I'm pretty bad at these sorts of games, never finished Bayonetta due to difficulty. Is it possible to "grind" in this game to make it easier? I hear it has some sort of RPG-lite elements and skill trees.
Yes, i read that you could replay parts of files to grind up money(to buy upgraded and unlock moee skills). Platinum standard is way easier than wonderful 101 normal so there is that. I recomend playing in the very fun training area a bit to grasp the combat, because it takes a little bit but then becomes second nature and the buffering is so lenient that timing seems to almost not matter.
Other than that, there is equipment that can make you autosynch combo (autopress timed presses) so it doesnt need to be hard.

Flintty

I’m terribly bad at action games where I need to dodge shit. I just want to sit there bashing enemies whilst soaking damage!

At first this game felt sluggish for me and I hated how slow the dodge was, often finding myself pinned in a corner and getting dicked. I nearly quit the game but pushed on because I love the policing side and the chain mechanic.

Without spoiling; something happened and made dodge feel way more fluid and workable for me. I’ve also started upgrading abilities and shit and it feels so much better!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still bad at dodging consistently but now I’m having a lot more fun being shit 😂

Top Bottom