• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asus TUF Gaming VG28UQL1A the best PS5 monitor?

HTK

Banned
I get those are your takes but I don't agree with you in all honesty as I have used the 48" C1 for awhile and no way its better (for me) than my LGs I mentioned for console.

Plus when my Predator X35 died is when I tried the 48' C1 and hated it compared to the X35

The only thing the C1 does better was deeper blacks

Not only that at least for the PS5 your stuck at 1080p since it doesnt have 1440p support

I suppose if someone was mainly a PC gamer and played some on the Series X at least that can play 1440p 120hz
Lol I got the same LG monitor you got, I like it but I don't think the color accuracy and like you said black levels are as good as C1's.

Man if I had a PC I think I would go with LG 32GP850-B 32.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Lol I got the same LG monitor you got, I like it but I don't think the color accuracy and like you said black levels are as good as C1's.

Man if I had a PC I think I would go with LG 32GP850-B 32.
Without a doubt when I play a single player game like Elden Ring for example I will play it on my OLED TV.

But when playing any shooter or other fast paced game its on a monitor

Kerotan

I talked to ASUS and they said it does NOT have HDMI Forum VRR support. They actually had to reach out to higher up people in the company and then got back to me to verify. Don't buy this monitor if you want VRR on PS5.
It's BS that you have to try so hard to find out important info. I guess I might get a 1440p monitor and play warzone on my ps5 in 1080p 120fps. It will be cheap but do the job. And in a few years if I'm still sweating on cod I'll get a better monitor.

I've decided now, no bigger then 27". Either 4k or 1440p and hopefully sony supports 1440p in the next year. 120fps and VRR support needed too. I suppose by default hdmi 2.1 also.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's BS that you have to try so hard to find out important info. I guess I might get a 1440p monitor and play warzone on my ps5 in 1080p 120fps. It will be cheap but do the job. And in a few years if I'm still sweating on cod I'll get a better monitor.

I've decided now, no bigger then 27". Either 4k or 1440p and hopefully sony supports 1440p in the next year. 120fps and VRR support needed too. I suppose by default hdmi 2.1 also.
When looking into this try finding a monitor that will accept the 4K signal from the PS5 and the monitor itself downscales it to 1440p as not all 1440p monitors do this.

I was using an LG 27GL850 1440p display and it worked putting the PS5 in 4K and looked really nice downscaling to the monitors native 1440p plus you still have the 120 fps support

Banned
Omg 😱 that is so complicated! Why they can’t make things easier?

honestly, I'm kinda disappointed that the new consoles don't have Display Port ports as well as all the features that would entail. this would make things way easier when using PC monitors.
that and if Sony supported freesync of course...

ethomaz

Banned
IMO the best PS5 monitor is called TV.
I mean even a TV is cheaper, 4k and support all PS5 features.

With monitor or you but a 4k monitor or you need to find one 1440p that supports 4k signal.

Seems obvious but it is really like that… PC go with monitor… PS5 go with TV.

Last edited:

Banned
IMO the best PS5 monitor is called TV.
I mean even a TV is cheaper, 4k and support all PS5 features.

With monitor or you but a 4k monitor or you need to find one 1440p that supports 4k signal.

if you wanna play competitive, no, not even remotely.
first of all, the size at which good TVs start is way too big, anything above 30" should be avoided when playing competitively. most manufacturers only ship feature complete TVs staring at ~48" sometimes even bigger than that, with the smaller models missing features like 120hz, VRR or BFI

secondly, TVs still have higher latency than PC monitors, even the best LGs have about 6-7ms of latency at 120hz, a high quality PC monitor will be below 4ms...

and lastly, pixel response time on a PC monitor is usually way faster than on LCD TVs, so you'd have to go with an OLED TV to get at that level, which is pricey. also I found that PC monitors have usually better BFI features will less screen brightness being lost.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
if you wanna play competitive, no, not even remotely.
first of all, the size at which good TVs start is way too big, anything above 30" should be avoided when playing competitively. most manufacturers only ship feature complete TVs staring at ~48" sometimes even bigger than that, with the smaller models missing features like VRR or BFI

secondly, TVs still have higher latency than PC monitors, even the best LGs have about 6-7ms of latency at 120hz, a high quality PC monitor will be below 4ms...

and lastly, pixel response time on a PC monitor is usually way faster than on LCD TVs, so you'd have to go with an OLED TV to get at that level, which is pricey. also I found that PC monitors have usually better BFI features will less screen brightness being lost.
All you said is right… monitors are in most cases better than TVs.

But PS5 works better with TVs 🤷‍♂️
What the point to have all these monitor features for a console that only communicate in TV language.

And competitive play on PS5 stay on PS5… tournaments doesn’t mix PC and PS5 players in competitions.

Last edited:

Banned
All you said is right… monitors are in most cases better than TVs.

But PS5 works better with TVs 🤷‍♂️

he is specifically looking for a screen to play eSports on tho. like literally eSports as in, he will be part of a team. so TVs are out of the question here

ethomaz

Banned
he is specifically looking for a screen to play eSports on tho. like literally eSports as in, he will be part of a team. so TVs are out of the question here
Pro tournaments for PS5 uses monitors? I really didn’t know that.

Edit - I watched some EVO… yes they use monitors.

Last edited:

Banned
Pro tournaments for PS5 uses monitors? I really didn’t know that.

Edit - I watched some EVO… yes they use monitors.

every tourney uses monitors. there was a whole fiasco just recently where a Fifa tournament production team set up TVs instead of monitors and the players basically rebelled and made them replace them 1 day before the tourney started. so yeah, no pro player would accept TVs as a viable way to play professionally

Zeroing

Banned
honestly, I'm kinda disappointed that the new consoles don't have Display Port ports as well as all the features that would entail. this would make things way easier when using PC monitors.
that and if Sony supported freesync of course...
I hope the manufacturers join and make a new standard because even buying a tv has become a complicated problem.

Rickyiez

Got a C1 48" for $850 , so no . C2 42" will be perfect for most in the sub $1000 category .

Biggest hindrance is the low dimming zones of these monitors which causes blooming , vg28uql1a has 8 while PG32UQ has 16 .

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
4K is only "great" at up to 38" - so don't go for a big screen TV. A 42" OLED is the max you should go after, but be aware OLED's do not get bright enough to produce "great" HDR.
This is so stupid. You can't say that.
I am coming from 27" 4k ips to 48" 4k oled.... and it does not appear more pixelated.
Of course IT IS more pixelated but YOu sit a bit further away. You lean back in your chair a bit more.
It still looks perfectly fine and I can't see pxiels. 8k would be better but we are not there yet.

I would much prefer to have a little "worse" dpi rather than shitty lcd small screen

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Did I touch a soft spot?
OP is seeking a monitor. In every "monitor" thread you advertise for a goddamn TV.
Do you work for LG or something?
I know. I am not advicing him on getting a TV anymore. I am only responding to your post.
OP can just get ant 4k 144hz ips... or 360hz monitor

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I know. I am not advicing him on getting a TV anymore. I am only responding to your post.
Yes and TV's are still way too big for me and I can't use it for work, gaming and in a streaming setup (size-wise).
Above perfect PPI is key to sit extremely close to a screen without noticing pixels - something a TV above 38" can't do.
OLED tech is the future, but for many including myself they are still too big to function in a gaming environment.

I prefer monitors. I tried getting used to my 48 inch C1, but I just couldn't. I guess I like the smaller size. It's more comfortable to me.

However, I'm waiting for the VRR update to come out to see what monitors work well with it, then I'll make my decision to upgrade. Just might be kinda hard to find one that's not sold out.

Very true no one buys a monitor for gaming for the black levels but for what the OP needs being a COD Pro I am quite certain black levels are the least of his concerns
Yeah who cares about black level? I game on a monitor every day and I'm not like... man, these black levels could be better. I'm enjoying the games and the graphics regardless of how dark the black is.

HTK

Banned
When looking into this try finding a monitor that will accept the 4K signal from the PS5 and the monitor itself downscales it to 1440p as not all 1440p monitors do this.

I was using an LG 27GL850 1440p display and it worked putting the PS5 in 4K and looked really nice downscaling to the monitors native 1440p plus you still have the 120 fps support

I'm trying to decide between LG 27GL850 and LG 27GP850.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm trying to decide between LG 27GL850 and LG 27GP850.
The GL850 is a kick ass monitor and correct me if I am wrong but I think the only difference with the GP850 is going to 160 or maybe 180 hz?

Looking at the VRR working list for PS5 shows neither are working with VRR sadly

HTK

Banned
Now that I've ascended I could give 2 flying fucks about PS5 VRR, PS5 is strictly for the OLED and exclusive PS games but even that eventually might not be the case with more and more games.

This monitor would be strictly for PC gaming and a stop gap before QD-OLED monitors become mainstream affordable and come in at 27" 30" or 32" inches. On Warzone I get between 150 to 220hz and sometimes if I don't restart the game and play for awhile FPS dips under 150fps.

I'll check out some alternatives but I really wanted to stick with LG since I have a vesa mount that's already holding a 27" inch LG and they would look identical.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Now that I've ascended I could give 2 flying fucks about PS5 VRR, PS5 is strictly for the OLED and exclusive PS games but even that eventually might not be the case with more and more games.

This monitor would be strictly for PC gaming and a stop gap before QD-OLED monitors become mainstream affordable and come in at 27" 30" or 32" inches. On Warzone I get between 150 to 220hz and sometimes if I don't restart the game and play for awhile FPS dips under 150fps.

I'll check out some alternatives but I really wanted to stick with LG since I have a vesa mount that's already holding a 27" inch LG and they would look identical.
If its PC only you are looking at some kick ass monitors and would go for the GP850 for the 180 hz if the price is worth it

HTK

Banned
If its PC only you are looking at some kick ass monitors and would go for the GP850 for the 180 hz if the price is worth it

So the GP850 supports freesync, gsync, and VRR. You mentioned it was not on the list of PS5 VRR supported hardware. Is this an issue with monitors/hardware or Sony and their software? I guess what I'm getting at is this patchable or it's simply hardware is not there for PS5 to support it. Thanks for the help.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So the GP850 supports freesync, gsync, and VRR. You mentioned it was not on the list of PS5 VRR supported hardware. Is this an issue with monitors/hardware or Sony and their software? I guess what I'm getting at is this patchable or it's simply hardware is not there for PS5 to support it. Thanks for the help.
I think its going to be on Sony to support Freesync for monitors like this one to work with the PS5.

I have since switched my monitors to the LG 27GP950 4k 160hz display that has Freesync Premium Pro and its working with the PS5 VRR and is a killer display if you win the panel lottery as I had to return one that had bad backlight bleed in one corner but now have 2 near perfect screens

So I got this monitor and it has trouble waking from sleep. Not sure what to do. I turn my PS5 on, and the monitor doesn't realize that there's a signal.

I see a few people reporting this monitor doesn't like to wake up from sleep and needs manual waking while using the DP as well, that sucks

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...gnal-with-displayport-and-needs-manual-waking
Those are the issues I’m having. Strangely, I think I’ve figured out a workaround.

I set my PS5 to tell my monitor to turn off using HDMI CEC. Then when the PS5 turns back on, the monitor does as well.

Can’t use rest mode though. I have to switch the PS5 completely off for it to work.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Those are the issues I’m having. Strangely, I think I’ve figured out a workaround.

I set my PS5 to tell my monitor to turn off using HDMI CEC. Then when the PS5 turns back on, the monitor does as well.

Can’t use rest mode though. I have to switch the PS5 completely off for it to work.
Is that monitor working with VRR?

OZ9000

Banned
I could never play games on a PC monitor. The picture quality looks shit.

Playing games on an LG OLED is like going from PS4 to PS5 for some games. It is SO much better than my PC monitor.

Of course if you're a HaRdCoRe competive gamer then image quality is the least of your concerns.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I just bought the LG 27inch GP850 1440p 160hz OC 180hz IPS nano, we'll see how this thing performs.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I just bought the LG 27inch GP850 1440p 160hz OC 180hz IPS nano, we'll see how this thing performs.
I hope you get a good panel as back light bleed is real on these things from LG

That said I loved my GL850 and you should be able to set your PS5 to 4k output and that monitor will downscale to 1440p and look pretty sharp in doing so

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Playing games on an LG OLED is like going from PS4 to PS5 for some games. It is SO much better than my PC monitor.

Of course if you're a HaRdCoRe competive gamer then image quality is the least of your concerns.
True. 98 percent of monitors are garbage for iq. The ones that aren't are stupidly expensive.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I enjoy slower games with great visuals on my TVs thats for sure but most of my other games especially shooters I prefer my monitors just because of the smaller screen to scan and I am no where near hardcore competitive its just what I prefer

Top Bottom