• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 11 members of congress argue Sony is unfairly impeding Xbox in JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
There is no CEO that is anything more than a suit. You can dislike the man for not cutting off the ps4 day one, you can not like him, for saying old game bad, you can hate him for not helping Microsoft buying buy publishers. However looking at the numbers he's really good at his job.

The success of PlayStation is rooted in the work of his predecessors. He's really done nothing that doesn't rely on the inertia he inherited from Andrew House's tenure.

And no, there definitely are CEOs that are closer to the point of view of gamers, and CEOs who aren't. Jim Ryan is the farthest I can think of. Have you ever even heard about him playing games? His bad takes don't come from stupidity. They come from the fact that he's completely disconnected from the point of view of his customers.

Last edited:

ckaneo

lol, this feels like petty revenge by Microsoft for all the COD stuff Sony put out.

However there needs to be a serious look at all companies doing timed exclusive bullshit. Stop taking games away from other players. i am aware that some developers need funds, but that's mostly indie games and small developers

ulantan

The success of PlayStation is rooted in the work of his predecessors. He's really done nothing that doesn't rely on the inertia he inherited from Andrew House's tenure.

And no, there definitely are CEOs that are closer to the point of view of gamers, and CEOs who aren't. Jim Ryan is the farthest I can think of. Have you ever even heard about him playing games?
No and why would anyone care. I care about his company's output and currently its great and the market agrees his job is to be a suit nothing more. The people under him make and play games that's thier job.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
No and why would anyone care. I care about his company's output and currently its great and the market agrees his job is to be a suit nothing more. The people under him make and play games that's thier job.

If you wouldn't rather have someone who shares your point of view on games taking the big decisions about the games you buy, the issue is on your side.

The company's output isn't thanks to Jim Ryan. It's thanks to those who came before him and built the house he's now comfortably sitting in.

Last edited:

ulantan

If you wouldn't rather have someone who shares your point of view on games taking the big decisions about the games you buy, the issue is on your side.

The company's output isn't thanks to Jim Ryan. It's thanks to those who came before him and built the house he's now comfortably sitting in.
He's been there since 1994 he helped lay the bricks I don't need to like the mother fucker. He is a suit his job is to be a suit. Phil puts on a gamer persona but that hasn't help xbox make better games. Why should I care that he plays destiny. Ah but guess xboxs failures under him are still the responsibility of Don Mattrick.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member

And no, there definitely are CEOs that are closer to the point of view of gamers, and CEOs who aren't. Jim Ryan is the farthest I can think of. Have you ever even heard about him playing games? His bad takes don't come from stupidity. They come from the fact that he's completely disconnected from the point of view of his customers.
what is the job of a CEO again?

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member

Are you aware of where Jim Ryan comes from, right?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
He's been there since 1994 he helped lay the bricks I don't need to like the mother fucker. He is a suit his job is to be a suit. Phil puts on a gamer persona but that hasn't help xbox make better games. Why should I care that he plays destiny. Ah but guess xboxs failures under him are still the responsibility of Donny D.

His influence before becoming CEO was nothing more than being a glorified salesman. There's no visible "bricklaying" attributable to Jim Ryan.

As for Phil Spencer, I'd say the fact that he's a gamer is pretty much proven. It ain't a "persona." Like him or not, at least he won't go around vomiting idiocies like people don't care to play older games.

Mung

I never thought I'd see the day where state/political supporters of Microsoft, one if the most de facto monopolistic corporations in history, would accuse others of monopolies (incorrectly as well). And them telling the Japanese what they should be doing reeks of classic American imperialism. American lawmakers should have no say or influence on the Japanese state..just like vice versa.

Last edited:

ulantan

His influence before becoming CEO was nothing more than being a glorified salesman. There's no visible "bricklaying" attributable to Jim Ryan.

As for Phil Spencer, I'd say the fact that he's a gamer is pretty much proven. It ain't a "persona." Like him or not, at least he won't go around vomiting idiocies like people don't care to play older games.
Why would anyone care he's a gamer if his product is not excellent, and you wouldn't believe this but his job is to sell you video games.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Why would anyone care he's a gamer if his product is not excellent, and you wouldn't believe this but his job is to sell you video games.

A product can be excellent also thanks to the work of a CEO or despite him. With Jim Ryan, it certainly feels like it's the latter.

again...what is the job of a CEO?

If you think knowing and using the product you sell and sharing your customers' point of view isn't good for a CEO, I can't help you.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Hey guys I just came back to see how-

Zki6LEk.gif

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
A product can be excellent also thanks to the work of a CEO or despite him. With Jim Ryan, it certainly feels like it's the latter.

If you think knowing and using the product you sell and sharing the point of view with your customers isn't good for a CEO, I can't help you.
The dude was in charge of the European division.

0iBTE87.jpg

if you think making your product and brand the most successful in the territory you are in charge isn't good for a CEO, i can't help you.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The dude was in charge of the European division.

0iBTE87.jpg

if you think making your product and brand the most successful in the territory you are in charge isn't good for a CEO, i can't help you.

He didn't make the product and had absolutely zero influence in the product itself. He just sold a product that was already good regardless of his input, in a market in which it already enjoyed a leadership position.

Topher

Gold Member
The ftc leader is a crusader political pressure is meaningless for a person like that. Microsoft doesn't have the political capital to put pressure on the EU so instead is attempting to back-door this to get this on radar with out directly asking. If Microsoft cried to the EU directly they get laughed at. Using congress to get this started lets the EU investigate with out looking like Microsoft lackeys.

Coolstory Cool Story Bro GIF by Hook SEO

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
what is the job of a CEO?

The job of an overall CEO is to take responsibility for all the executive high-level decisions for a company and it's very different from that of a regional CEO.

If you think it's just selling as many copies as possible of a product, you're the one who doesn't understand what the job of a CEO is.

Last edited:

aries_71

That's excellent news. One thing that Sony made very clear during the Activision acquisition process is that exclusivity, non-parity and releases performing worse in a platform than on others are big issues. If these are big issues for the market leader, so should be for the rest. Sony screamed so loud that they must be right, even if those practices are benefitting mostly them, but not only them. So let's put some legislation at work here. This exclusivity bullshit for big studio third-party titles must end now, whether they are temporal or permanent exclusivities.

Last edited:

ulantan

The job of an overall CEO is to take responsibility for all the executive high-level decisions for a company and it's very different from that of a regional CEO.

If you think it's just selling as many copies as possible of a product, you're the one who doesn't understand what the job of a CEO is.
I hate to break it to you but they make those decisions to make thier product sell. "Company's only want one the thing and it's disgusting"

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I hate to break it to you but they make those decisions to make thier product sell. "Company's only want one the thing and it's disgusting"

That's a massive oversimplification.

Incidentally, a CEO also has the non-irrelevant job of speaking for the company, and Jim Ryan is very bad at that, as his many "foot in mouth" moments aptly showcased. He's gotten away with it so far, but if ABK's acquisition goes through, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony's board will want his head to roll, nor I'd be displeased. Considering the track record of PlayStation CEOs, there's a LOT of margin for improvement if he's made to go.

Last edited:

jzosa

So we are at the point now where American legislators are questioning Japanese laws that are allegedly being broken by Sony leading to discrimination of Xbox? then we have allegations, unfounded at that, saying that Sony, "signs deals designed to keep hit Japanese games from Microsoft’s Xbox, and says such moves “may violate Japan’s antitrust laws.” Then saying Japan does not prosecute Sony for their practices. What practices exactly? It's funny the US legislators can just make statements like this and not get any backlash when they are intruding and/or commenting on how other countries run their own.

Come on, man. We all know Japan has pivoted from consoles to mobile. All those people saying Sony has lost hold of Japan are now saying they have 98% of the console market? In addition, remember everyone saying Sony's software is atrocious? Make up your minds. You can't have it both ways.

I hope this saga gets over with sooner rather than later, whether the deal goes through or not.

Chukhopops

Jim Ryan: buys six-month partnership with the regulator of a country who may as well be fictional at this point

Phil Spencer: buys 11 US Congress members

Even when it comes to lobbying they are a different class entirely, it’s embarrassing.

joking obviously, MS would never do that

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member

i can guarentee you is not playing videogames and endorsing fanboys on twitter.

the CEO is responsible for the success of the company and is accountable to the board of directors, shareholders, and other stakeholders.

who is the one always apologizing for the company's failures to the fans?

h3ie2IH.jpg
tIpHKAE.jpg
lj4FR0e.jpg
o

Topher

Gold Member
That's excellent news. One thing that Sony made very clear during the Activision acquisition process is that exclusivity, non-parity and releases performing worse in a platform than on others are big issues. If these are big issues for the market leader, so should be for the rest. Sony screamed so loud that they must be right, even if those practices are benefitting mostly them, but not only them. So let's put some legislation at work here. This exclusivity bullshit for big studio third-party titles must end now, whether they are temporal or permanent exclusivities.

No laws are going to even be introduced because of any of this.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
i can guarentee you is not playing videogames and endorsing fanboys on twitter.

the CEO is responsible for the success of the company and is accountable to the board of directors, shareholders, and other stakeholders.

who is the one always apologizing for the company's failures to the fans?

At least he's not the one telling his company's fans that they're wrong and don't actually like older games. Can't think of many CEOs in the industry that are as out of touch with their product's fans as Jim Ryan is. 😂

Yes. You definitely don't know what the job of a CEO involves. Being the voice of the company is part of that, Jim Ryan is completely inept at it.

I certainly don't know many PlayStation fans who genuinely like Jim Ryan. Some tolerate and defend his hubris because they're fanboys, but actually liking him or his policies? Nah.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
At least he's not the one telling his company's fans that they're wrong and don't actually like older games. Can't think of many CEOs in the industry that are as out of touch with their product's fans as Jim Ryan is. 😂

Yes. You definitely don't know what the job of a CEO involves. Being the voice of the company is part of that, Jim Ryan is completely inept at it.

Jim Ryan was able to solve the supply issues and its delivering games for the new console.

Phil keeps making promises instead.

yep, Jim Ryan is a completely inept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom