• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At what point a game becomes too old for you to play ?

zephiross

🚨By "old" I mean Outdated in terms of gameplay/visuals/audio/anything you can think of, not old in the sense that games realeased before "enter date" are not enjoyable.🚨

So I downloaded the original DEUS EX on PC because I love the Cyberpunk genre and loved both Human revolution and Mankind Divided but never played the first one. (I was something like 6 y.o. when it released)

I started a new game after fidling with the option menu. First impression is that visuals are more than dated but that was to be expected so it's not a big issue. But damn as much as I would like to experience the story, I just can't get pass the obsolete gameplay. I played games from the same era not too long ago (MGS1 comes to mind) and it wasn't as bad. The first person view might not help it, but gunplay, movement, and AI is too dated for me to enjoy playing it. i fell 3D games suffer much more from this than 2D ones. I guess this will be a good contender for a youtube playthrough.

So I'm curious, do you feel there's a point where old games (3D or 2D) are too dated for you to enjoy playing them, wether it's gameplay/graphic related (or other) ?

PS: Yeah sorry guys I know this forum has a majority of its audience that is around 40 y.o., but 2000 was 22 years ago, games from that time are old now :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
"Obsolete gameplay"..."Good contender for a youtube playthrough"...

GIF by Achievement Hunter

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I used to love Alien vs Predator (the PC one), but I replayed it recently and I couldn't handle it. It aged like doo-doo.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

So I downloaded the original DEUS EX on PC because I love the Cyberpunk genre and loved both Human revolution and Mankind Divided but never played the first one. (I was something like 6 y.o. when it released)

I started a new game after fidling with the option menu. First impression is that visuals are more than dated but that was to be expected so it's not a big issue. But damn as much as I would like to experience the story, I just can't get pass the obsolete gameplay. I played games from the same era not too long ago (MGS1 comes to mind) and it wasn't as bad. The first person view might not help it, but gunplay, movement, and AI is too dated for me to enjoy playing it. i fell 3D games suffer much more from this than 2D ones. I guess this will be a good contender for a youtube playthrough.

So I'm curious, do you feel there's a point where old games (3D or 2D) are too dated for you to enjoy playing them, wether it's gameplay/graphic related (or other) ?

PS: Yeah sorry guys I know this forum has a majority of its audience that is around 40 y.o., but 2000 was 22 years ago, games from that time are old now :messenger_grinning_sweat:
You come here, with this smack talk, about the original Deus Ex???

l5xupix.gif

..But in answer to your question, ignoring the sheer madness before it! Theres a few C64 games that just cant cut the mustard anymore even though I'd played them to death as a kid. Robin of the wood being one of them..

The music! It's forever burned in my skull. How I played it for hours on end is a mystery.

Last edited:

zephiross

This isn't a thing. A good game is a good game.
You didn't understand the question, so I'll try to rephrase,

What aging elements from a game would make you not enjoy playing it ?

I'm not asking wether games before 199X are unplayable and that universally applies to everyone of them. You can perfectly enjoy a game frome say 1995 or older, but find games that came out around 2005 unenjoyable because some of their elements (gameplay, sound, etc...) have really badly aged contrary to other games.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

How much did you play? Deus Ex 1 offers far more player options and intricate levels than Human Revolution. I’d personally say go back and keep playing, don’t watch scenes from youtube where you don’t have a choice in conversations & exploration. Youtube can’t replicate finding a hidden item or bypassing security trap in your own unique way.

lordrand11

At what point? Honestly I'd have to say never, there are several games my spouse and myself, or my best friend and I will connect via parsec and emulate to play through on top of either streaming or recording these games for his Youtube and Twitch.

JCK75

If a game is great it's never too old for me to play.
The only generation I mostly avoid it's the N64/PSX era as games were so janky and fugly.. but even that's not universal (still plenty of games from that era I play)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
None? I'd play Pong right now if I wanted to.

How engaged I am and how long I keep playing it is a different matter, but I'll try literally anything regardless of age if I want to try it. I'm playing through Super Mario RPG right now and it's aged like a fine wine for a 26 year old game, whereas some PS3 titles can be hard to go back to.

zephiross

How much did you play? Deus Ex 1 offers far more player options and intricate levels than Human Revolution. I’d personally say go back and keep playing, don’t watch scenes from youtube where you don’t have a choice in conversations & exploration. Youtube can’t replicate finding a hidden item or bypassing security trap in your own unique way.
Not much I have to admit. The combat just wasn't enjoyable for me so I dropped it pretty fast because I know I won't be coming back to it

zephiross

None? I'd play Pong right now if I wanted to.

How engaged I am and how long I keep playing it is a different matter, but I'll try literally anything regardless of age if I want to try it. I'm playing through Super Mario RPG right now and it's aged like a fine wine for a 26 year old game, whereas some PS3 titles can be hard to go back to.
But that's the point, what makes you not engage further with an aging game ? Because not trying a game you are interested in just because it's X y.o. is plain dumb.

Last edited:

Banned
never... like... a good game is a good game and that's all I care about. can be on an Atari 2600 (where not many good games exist on to be fair) and as long as it's good I'll play it

I thought the controls in the newer Deus Ex games are much more annoying, to be honest, despite being smoother. But that's mostly because I can't stand the "Press X to glue yourself to this wall" style cover mechanics and the way takedowns and other abilities take you out of the game by playing those stupid micro cutscenes.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
But that's the point, what makes you not engage further with an aging game ? Because not trying a game just because it's X y.o. is plain dumb.

Can depend entirely on the game really. The script/translation in FF7 is absolutely dire, but the gameplay and world were good enough that I kept playing. On the other hand I played 7 hours of Morrowind recently and while the world was cool, the game itself felt really badly outdated and I dropped it.

I think I just took "too old" in your thread title too literally, should be "too outdated" maybe, I dunno.

zephiross

Can depend entirely on the game really. The script/translation in FF7 is absolutely dire, but the gameplay and world were good enough that I kept playing. On the other hand I played 7 hours of Morrowind recently and while the world was cool, the game itself felt really badly outdated and I dropped it.

I think I just took "too old" in your thread title too literally, should be "too outdated" maybe, I dunno.
Yeah "too outdated" would fit the question better but as english isn't my first language I didn't think of that word... If by any chance a mod could correct it that would be nice.

Guilty_AI

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Some games are timeless. There’s others that are just tedious because technology made it a lot easier to enjoy later on. The gaming world has a lot of criticism from all kinds of directions. You have so many different types of genres and with that you have countless opinions about each one. I think when gaming becomes a lot more acceptable that it’ll be like any other medium. There’s books and music you don’t exactly listen to now that you’re older. Some never got better and etc.

I love all types of games. I’m not booting up Civilization II or Master of Orion. I’m booting up Nier, Xenoblade, etc. I’ll play those games from 30+ years ago because they’re part of gaming history. They built the game’s foundation. Sometimes the foundation isn’t better because the creative talent had a stronger vision years ago. Sometimes it’s better and sometimes it’s worse. Sometimes the controls suck when you’ve played countless clones or sequels over the years with better controls.

Some people don’t mind it, but in OP’s circumstance he says he can’t play it. We all get that way. I don’t think that’s an age thing either. It also comes from an appreciation of that part in time and the gaming technology.

If you find Deus Ex too archaic, it might be worth trying the GMDX mod before giving up on it completely.

It adds a number of quality of life improvements to the gameplay, systems and visuals whilst staying faithful to the vision of the original game. It's probably the best way to play Deus Ex in 2022.

SmokedMeat

Gamerâ„¢
It depends entirely on the gameplay.

Classic arcade games like Time Pilot or Robotron are timeless. I can never grow tired of them.
Classic 8/16-bit games like Punch Out, Doom, Ghouls n Ghosts, and Mario are timeless.

Games that are still examples of the best of the genre, regardless of age - hold up for me.

But older games where the mechanics have aged, or the loop is too braindead - those I just can’t stomach anymore.

Edit: On a side note some U.I.s can bother the shit out of me. I like Sharp, small, and clean. If an older game has these big ass console button prompts popping up, it’s a turn off. Makes the whole thing look even more outdated.

Last edited:

zephiross

Some games are timeless. There’s others that are just tedious because technology made it a lot easier to enjoy later on. The gaming world has a lot of criticism from all kinds of directions. You have so many different types of genres and with that you have countless opinions about each one. I think when gaming becomes a lot more acceptable that it’ll be like any other medium. There’s books and music you don’t exactly listen to now that you’re older. Some never got better and etc.

I love all types of games. I’m not booting up Civilization II or Master of Orion. I’m booting up Nier, Xenoblade, etc. I’ll play those games from 30+ years ago because they’re part of gaming history. They built the game’s foundation. Sometimes the foundation isn’t better because the creative talent had a stronger vision years ago. Sometimes it’s better and sometimes it’s worse. Sometimes the controls suck when you’ve played countless clones or sequels over the years with better controls.

Some people don’t mind it, but in OP’s circumstance he says he can’t play it. We all get that way. I don’t think that’s an age thing either. It also comes from an appreciation of that part in time and the gaming technology.
I think the bolded part is the biggest deterrent in my case. I respect the game for it's history, that's even why I was interested in it in the first place, but the archaic nature of the controls is really putting me of. Even more so because I'm on the younger side of this forum and these kind of thing where already quite advanced when I started playing, so older games feels "worse" in that aspect to what I started playing with.

The hardest part about going back to games from my teen years is the aliasing. It's so displeasing when you used to it not being there it becomes a struggle to play. Games from the lates 00's early 2010's were ugly in general with their gray brown color scheme. Throw some aliasing on that and its makes it hard to play those games. Which is funny cause if you go slightly further back it wasnt as bad.

zephiross

If you find Deus Ex too archaic, it might be worth trying the GMDX mod before giving up on it completely.

It adds a number of quality of life improvements to the gameplay, systems and visuals whilst staying faithful to the vision of the original game. It's probably the best way to play Deus Ex in 2022.
is that similar to the revision mod you can find on steam ?

Top Bottom