• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration Expanded Edition announced for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (due out on October 25)

Atari-50-Expanded-Ann_06-25-24_001-768x432.jpg

Publisher Atari and developer Digital Eclipse have announced Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration Expanded Edition for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam). It will launch on October 25. Users who own Atari 50: The Anniversary Collection will be able to access the new content as downloadable content later in 2024.

A physical standard edition will be available for PlayStation 5 and Switch for $39.99, and a physical SteelBook edition will be available for Switch for $49.99. The latter will include Atari 2600 art cards, miniature arcade marquee signs, an Al Alcorn Replica Syzygy Co. business card, and a SteelBook case.

Atari-50-Expanded-Ann_06-25-24_002.jpg

Here is an overview of the collection, via Atari:
Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration Expanded Edition adds two new timelines and 39 games to the playable Atari retrospective that is Atari 50: The Anniversary Collection.

The Wider World of Atari timeline, which includes 19 playable games and eight video segments, takes a series of deep dives into stories from Atari history, showing how Atari continued to influence creators and fans over the decades. New interviews, vintage ads, historical artifacts, and more have all been researched and presented with Digital Eclipse’s signature style. Highlights from the new timeline include a deep dive into Stern Electronics’ robot-blasting Berzerk; unusual and underappreciated innovations and hidden gems from the late 1980s; a spotlight on the artist Evelyn Seto, who helped create the iconic “Fuji” Atari logo; Pong creator Al Alcorn explaining the birth of Breakout; and an exploration of the fan base’s role in discovering unreleased prototypes, creating “homebrew” games, and preserving Atari history.

The First Console War timeline, which includes 20 playable games and half-dozen video segments, tells the story of the first major console war in the gaming industry between the Atari 2600 and Mattel’s Intellivision. The team at Digital Eclipse curates an exploration of the rivalry, including Mattel’s quixotic decision to create games for the competing Atari 2600. Highlights include a selection of M Network games, including some fan-favorites; a mix of Atari and M Network sports games, and some rare Atari 2600 and 5200 prototypes. New interview features include former Intellivision game director Don Daglow, M Network programmer Jane Terjung, Activision‘s David Crane and Garry Kitchen, homebrew programmer Dennis Debro, and historians Leonard Herman and Mike Mika.

The new timelines and games will be offered to owners of the original Atari 50: The Anniversary Collection release as downloadable content later this year.

Source - Gematsu

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The lack of pricing for that DLC in the announcement isn't a good sign.
It's 39 games. Even if it's $20 that's $0.50 a game, plus all the videos. I doubt it would be more than that. Most of their new releases cap at $30 or $20, like Jeff Minter / Making of Karateka.

El Muerto

Just bought the an Atari 50 steam key on Eneba for $5.32. Didnt know lynx/jaguar games were included along with videos. But i still go back and play my atari 2600 with hundreds of roms loaded on my Harmony cart.

Futaleufu

As long as they fuck off with more 2600 games without adding more arcade, 5200, Lynx and Jaguar titles.
All Atari arcade games starting with Marble Madness were developed by Atari Games (later Midway West, now WB Games), which is a completely different IP holder than the current Atari that owns all the consoles IPs and Atari computers catalog.

Havoc2049

Question: Are Star Raiders and Rampart included? (Any maybe Gauntlet?)
Star Raiders is in the collection. It's a slightly enhanced version with a title screen and intro tune, functioning 16x9 border and has been overclocked to get rid of the slowdown while in combat.

There is a Gauntlet type co-op dungeon crawler ARPG game in the collection called Dark Chambers.

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
Star Raiders is in the collection. It's a slightly enhanced version with a title screen and intro tune, functioning 16x9 border and has been overclocked to get rid of the slowdown while in combat.

There is a Gauntlet type co-op dungeon crawler ARPG game in the collection called Dark Chambers.
Ah, Ok. Thanks!

I hope that in this expanded edition, they'll include Rampart as well. It's a good game.

Looking into my magic crystal balls, I see:
1. A slow menu when rotating between games.
2. Bad music that is chopped up with short samples from each game when we select it.
3. Extremely expensive DLC.

Top Bottom