• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari is coming back in the creation of video games on consoles and PC

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
This week, the Atari brand formalized its restructuring in order to become more competitive. A first division will be focused on blockchain and a second on more classic video games.

atari-1280x790.jpg

Yes, they seem very distant, the heyday of Atari in the 80s.
In 2013, the firm even went bankrupt and had only ten employees. Yet she managed to raise the bar to launch rather ambitious projects like a hotel chain, her own cryptocurrency and the Atari VCS console through crowdfunding.
And now video games will remain one of the brand's priorities.

2021-02-12_00024.jpg

Not only on mobile devices
The Atari Gaming division will therefore sit alongside Atari Blockchain. It will mainly focus on retrogaming through smartphones as well as touch tablets with the development of new free-to-play.
Emphasis will also be placed on the VCS console and editing in general. The big news comes from the fact that Atari wants to launch projects on consoles and PC.
The company explains that it wants to relaunch its old licenses by adding a dose of modernity. Some productions will be playable in solo and others in multiplayer, either locally or online.
As for the VCS console, its release is still expected during the spring of 2021.

Last edited:

intbal

It's just a brand name now.
It means nothing.

I could purchase the name "Black Isle Studios" and get together some friends from work and say "Black Isle is back in the business of making games!", but that doesn't mean we're going to make the next Fallout.

Edit: Wasn't intending to dump on your post. Anyone posting gaming news is always appreciated. Just wanted to point out the pointlessness of calling anything "Atari".

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It's just a brand name now.
It means nothing.

I could purchase the name "Black Isle Studios" and get together some friends from work and say "Black Isle is back in the business of making games!", but that doesn't mean we're going to make the next Fallout.

Edit: Wasn't intending to dump on your post. Anyone posting gaming news is always appreciated. Just wanted to point out the pointlessness of calling anything "Atari".

There is no Atari. Just the word.
1f58c73280154c77e99201ec466dbb6d.gif

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
they are going to get slaughtered by the big 3 the moment they enter the market.

Today the company announced that its board of directors has signed off on a new approach centered around making premium games for PCs and consoles, with reduced emphasis on mobile and free-to-play games.

"Our intent with any gaming experience is to provide accessible and joyful moments of meaningful play," said Atari's recently appointed CEO Wade J. Rosen.

"That's the core of Atari and what binds our history with our future. To that end, we feel that premium gaming is better representative of this type of gaming experience and the Atari DNA."

The company said "the competitive and marketing environment is weighing on the free-to-play business model," but it will continue to operate successful free-to-play titles with a continuing user base.

However, free-to-play games like Roller Coaster Tycoon Stories, Crystal Castles, Castles & Catapults, Ninja Golf, and Atari Combat: Tank Fury will either be shut down or sold off.
Seems like they're serious about the shift in focus.

Reactions: TLZ

Agent X

Seems like they're serious about the shift in focus.

I can't complain too much, because many of their mobile games were cheap cash-ins on their classic game properties. However, I will say that Missile Command: Recharged is a legitimately good game. It's a neat twist on the classic game that's very well suited to mobile devices with a touch screen.

Why? I wish them the best, but I truly feel they are going to get massacred yet again by the fierce competition.

Last edited:

oldergamer

I don't know why anyone would care about this. The name Atari means pretty much nothing these days. What's next colleco & intelivision coming back? no thanks.

Top Bottom