• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream rated in Australia

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
ateliersophie_72615_001.jpg

Published by Koei Tecmo and developed by Gust, the sequel is likely the unannounced title part of the Gust segment of Koei Tecmo’s Tokyo Game Show 2021 Online Special Program.

The original game, Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book, first launched for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PS Vita in November 2015, followed by PC via Steam in February 2017. A DX version was released for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam in April 2021.

Reactions: Isa
I can't say that I'm surprised because Lulua created a precedent for completed series revivals and the Ryza series re-confirmed that it's possible for a single alchemist to get multiple games.
Still, I would've preferred Firis 2 instead of Sophie 2.

Reactions: Isa

FStubbs

I can't say that I'm surprised because Lulua created a precedent for completed series revivals and the Ryza series re-confirmed that it's possible for a single alchemist to get multiple games.
Still, I would've preferred Firis 2 instead of Sophie 2.
IIRC Sophie was the most popular protagonist pre-Ryza, so if they were going to go back, she would've been the one.

Merkades

As a "Ryza is just ok", this is ok with me. Which is not to say I did not like the Ryza games, or some aspect of the character, but I am not on board the chonky is good bandwagon, though maybe that is not the right way to say that, since it only means slightly overweight...Not to my preference?

Regardless, I would have been ok with it being about Ryza's apprentice next, like normal. This will be fine too.

Anyways, what I want for this game is better animation, and better PC options/optimizations.

Merkades

Is it bad on PC?
Animations have never been a strong point in the Atelier games, Ryza's run animation was...not good, but insofar as options and optimizations for PC, Ryza 1 and 2 were both better than previous Atelier games imo, but still not great. It runs well enough to play it, but it is more performance heavy while worse looking than most games. And the image quality could really use some help, better AA/TAA particularly. I probably spent an hour nor two on ReShade and in the end I still can't say it was better.

That said, if your were lucky enough to get a new GPU you might be able to brute force good enough AA. Then you would be left with effects that aren't so great like shadows and rain.

Lastly, I just checked and 4 of the 15 topic I have steam showing me are "please help bug" types of posts. I personally did not have any issues like those, but this has been pretty common for these games. That and prior to Ryza, Koei Tecmo rarely bothered with patching issues.

Top Bottom