• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATLUS announced Soul Hackers 2 coming to PS4/5, XSX/S, XBO and Steam this August

Senhua

I understand Soul Hackers was a 90's cyberpunk-lite experience, and tastes in genres change over 25 years, not to mention P5 was a big hit because it was style-over-substance... But, come on.

from this
RvTCjLj.jpg

to this? Holy Shit
Bq2FKBR.jpg

That's way why I usually doesn't want anything to do with modern gaming anymore.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The boomer talk "anime and anime-style are so bad nowadays!" is just as hilarious as the Switch fanboy meltdowns. There have always been good and bad anime. Back in time, you mostly got the good because the bad was not localized and fansubs were a lot less widespread.

The "art style bad" and "OMG no switch no buy!" talks are also likely linked. Fox and grapes.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There have always been good and bad anime. Back in time, you mostly got the good because the bad was not localized and fansubs were a lot less widespread.
I definitely agree with that and I have been watching anime for very long time...

When I was kid this was my first anime and back then I didn't know what anime was.
57873l.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sorry but damn the Switch port begging and "muh Japanese sales" are way too much.

Since people keep talking Switch, data miners were already over the official site looking for anything and found Switch hidden in listed platforms

Who knows if it means anything

I would say early to mid next year if they do one.

That means nothing. It's just a generic template. I mean there's also a Stadia logo: https://soulhackers2.atlus.com/img/common/platform_stadia.jpg

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Is this game connected to Megami Tensei setting wise?
Soul Hackers was part of the Devil Summoner sub series. So it's possible that could be the case here as well, but it doesn't look like it has much in common with any of them to be honest...

MegaTen games are pretty inconsistent and hard to predict in that regard. Like some of them connect to past games and some don't, and there are a bunch of different sub-series and universes. It's really on a case by case basis. In general you don't need to worry too much about it though.

lachesis

I understand Soul Hackers was a 90's cyberpunk-lite experience, and tastes in genres change over 25 years, not to mention P5 was a big hit because it was style-over-substance... But, come on.

from this
RvTCjLj.jpg

to this? Holy Shit
Bq2FKBR.jpg

That's way why I usually doesn't want anything to do with modern gaming anymore.

I can certainly relate to this reaction...
That actually reminds me of my own reaction of loving this back in 88.

M41F8m7.jpg

and being surprised with this as sequel 16 years later.

VOSyicr.jpg

But for what's worth - the intentional change up of the whole look and feel felt rather justified towards the end of the series.
It was just something I wasn't expecting how it was going to be... but at the same time, it was another reminder not to judge the book by the cover only.

Danjin44

M41F8m7.jpg

VOSyicr.jpg

But for what's worth - the intentional change up of the whole look and feel felt rather justified towards the end of the series.
It was just something I wasn't expecting how it was going to be... but at the same time, it was another reminder not to judge the book by the cover only.
I also really loved both Gunbuster and Diebuster and surprisingly new character design was done by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (who worked on Evengelion and art for .hack series)

Last edited:

Danjin44

Japanese company develops Japanese game but doesn't develop a port for the best selling console in Japan. Atlus, never change.
This is why I own both PS5 and Switch, I know Atlus does this but I like their games and I want to play them no matter what platform the decide to release them on.

Ezquimacore

Banned
This is why I own both PS5 and Switch, I know Atlus does this but I like their games and I want to play them no matter what platform the decide to release them on.
I'll play it on PC. I just find it amusing how the business decisions work at atlus, prioritizing Xbox over switch.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Same, I mean I own and PS5 (also PS4) and Switch and I get the best of both worlds in terms of Japanese games.

Tazzu

Has anyone gone to the new forum? The butthurt is 10x worse than it was for Tales of Arise!

Last edited:

reksveks

Most of the salt is over the XBOX getting a version. Buh buh whatisanxbox.gif!
Hmmm, I think they (and me) kinda think that Microsoft is probably ponying up some money so they are okay/understanding of that. Its the exclusion of the Switch and their theory about that is a bit weird but ehh.

SirTerry-T

The boomer talk "anime and anime-style are so bad nowadays!" is just as hilarious as the Switch fanboy meltdowns. There have always been good and bad anime. Back in time, you mostly got the good because the bad was not localized and fansubs were a lot less widespread.

The "art style bad" and "OMG no switch no buy!" talks are also likely linked. Fox and grapes.
Boomers you say?

I think a lot of the "disappointment" in the art style this game has is probably down to it looking a bit generic as far as the art direction and character design are concerned. It comes across as looking like Persona or TMS "Vaporwave Edition", rather than that gritty, urban, G I T S/ cyberpunk look of the older games.
Like others have mentioned however this is due in some part to modern anime looking a bit generic in general. In the 80's and 90’s there was a bit more budget around (and certainly better scheduling) that enabled creators to make bolder choices with art direction.
That's not to say this new game looks bad (it certainly doesn't) but even comparing some of the key art designs from this and the older title that have been posted, it does seem to lack some of its own style.
Still looks worth a purchase though, and as an X Box owner it's cool to see a game like this coming to the system.

Cheers!

50 year old me with a loft full of 80's and 90's anime VHS tapes gathering dust :)

Last edited:
Character designs and artistic direction throw me off.

I understand Persona walking towards a generic anime direction, even though it wasn't always (generic) as it's a trend and after Persona 5 I all but gave up on the P franchise (if that's the direction it's going)

The rest of the games in the series though... god damn. Art direction reminds me of Rune Factory or some generic Bandai Namco shit on a SMT game that feels like a punch in the gut.

They need to make demons more menacing, characters less like saturday morning cartoon and play more with color and patterns. I know they attempted to do it with the main character but they failed, it only seems like she shops at cyberdog. Style over substance when it should feel cool and unique.
Boomers you say?

I am think a lot of the "disappointment" in the art style this game has is probably down to it looking a bit generic as far as the look is concerned. It does look like Persona or TMS "Vaporwave Edition", rather than that gritty, urban, G I T S/ cyberpunk look of the older games.
Like others have mentioned however this is due in some part to modern anime looking a bit generic in general. In the 80's and 90’s there was a bit more budget around (and certainly better scheduling) that enabled creators to make bolder choices with art direction.
That's not to say this new game looks bad (it certainly doesn't) but even comparing some of the key art designs from this and the older title that have been posted, it does seem to lack some of its own style.
Still looks worth a purchase though, and as an X Box owner it's cool to see a game like this coming to the system.

Cheers!
I don't think they had more budget in the 80's and 90's. A lot of the animation was still and recycled due to that.

But the way it's done today might still be cheaper due to it being digital, I dunno. I think it's more down to normalization (which is happening in every medium) than anything else. What these people don't realize is that normalization is going to inevitably tank their franchises, because differentiation is the way to go. It just gives more work and is more prone to be judged as a mistep, that's a pitty.

Regardless, I don't think there's an excuse to go generic on a videogame. Usually all the assets are done from scratch or at least touched up, what happened here (I guess) apart from them thinking this is what the market wants, was that it was easier to blend with Persona 5 assets by keeping it this way. It's not as bad in SMTV due to the way it uses light (imo). But part of the problem is there too.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

M41F8m7.jpg

VOSyicr.jpg

If you look at Mecha anime or just anime in general this had became the trend, this is especially notable if you are into Super Robot Taisen series like I do, when different art style collide into each other, its amusing. Just look at how different Macross and Macross Frontier is. Or the old Gundam Series from the 80s compare to modern Gundam.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

SirTerry-T

Character designs and artistic direction throw me off.

I understand Persona walking towards a generic anime direction, even though it wasn't always (generic) as it's a trend and after Persona 5 I all but gave up on the P franchise (if that's the direction it's going)

The rest of the games in the series though... god damn. Art direction reminds me of Rune Factory or some generic Bandai Namco shit on a SMT game that feels like a punch in the gut.

They need to make demons more menacing, characters less like saturday morning cartoon and play more with color and patterns. I know they attempted to do it with the main character but they failed, it only seems like she shops at cyberdog. Style over substance when it should feel cool and unique.

I don't think they had more budget in the 80's and 90's. A lot of the animation was still and recycled due to that.

But the way it's done today might still be cheaper due to it being digital, I dunno. I think it's more down to normalization (which is happening in every medium) than anything else. What these people don't realize is that normalization is going to inevitably tank their franchises, because differentiation is the way to go. It just gives more work and is more prone to be judged as a mistep, that's a pitty.

Regardless, I don't think there's an excuse to go generic on a videogame. Usually all the assets are done from scratch or at least touched up, what happened here (I guess) apart from them thinking this is what the market wants, was that it was easier to blend with Persona 5 assets by keeping it this way. It's not as bad in SMTV due to the way it uses light (imo). But part of the problem is there too.
Well, the OVA boom in the 80's/early 90's co-incided with the peak of Japan's "bubble economy" before it burst so there was a bit more money floating around, or at least more companies willing to chance large sums of money on ideas that wouldn't get anywhere near a drawing board these days. There's a reason those decades are considered anime's "Golden period" :)

Your are bang on about normelization, everything.. be it music, film, gaming or animation are all converging to that same "point of average" where companies think they are going to make the most money. A shame but it is what it is.
We just need a few brave souls (with fat enough wallets) to take a chance on something different every now and then.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
All this people complaining about aesthetics, and here I am, pissed because we are getting a Ringo hee ho (Rinho?) while the Nahoheeho got robbed.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
The preorder already closed for the SE on amiami. Too expensive for my taste but will probably be available on Amazon Japan at some point.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The art is flashy and awesome...

...which basically is the issue. Where's the gloominess of a demon infested world?
I don't remember the first Soul Hackers being all that gloomy tbh. Hell you get to take your big titty goth demon waifu on shopping.

I don't mind the game looking that much different from other SMTs. In fact, they've removed SMT from the title, so maybe they are trying to make something new out of it.

Didn’t expect this to go on Xbox but I’m happy there’s actually Xbox gamer here excited for it.
Now, it's on Xbox gamers to support it. We don't need another Lost Odyssey situation, where we get a fantastic JRPG, but the sales don't warrant a sequel or spiritual successors.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Now, it's on Xbox gamers to support it. We don't need another Lost Odyssey situation, where we get a fantastic JRPG, but the sales don't warrant a sequel or spiritual successors.

Unfortunately I don't see the Xbox version doing that great sales wise (I'm getting it day 1 anyway), so I hope the alternate is that Phil opens up his wallet and offers Atlus a good Game Pass deal for this, and other potential Atlus titles.

Lognor

Banned
Unfortunately I don't see the Xbox version doing that great sales wise (I'm getting it day 1 anyway), so I hope the alternate is that Phil opens up his wallet and offers Atlus a good Game Pass deal for this, and other potential Atlus titles.
Yep. Hoping for a day one Game Pass offering. Otherwise I pass. Sorry fellow Xbox gamers. I need my jrpgs on a portable device (steam deck maybe...)

reksveks

Yep. Hoping for a day one Game Pass offering. Otherwise I pass. Sorry fellow Xbox gamers. I need my jrpgs on a portable device (steam deck maybe...)
I have a kishi so do remote play alot. I suspect its a playanywhere title so I think I will be playing via Windows 11 on a steamdeck.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

The website says it'll be on Windows store not just Steam.

avTBUqo.png

So its entirely possible it'll be on Game Pass. That would be crazy.

Dear Atlus.

Please bring remaster

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army
and Vs. King Abaddon.

Digital Devil Saga one and two.

I've tried goin back to King Abaddon last year and its really rough. There's still fun to be had with the exploration and quests but its a very clunky game. Soul Hackers 2 will hopefully play much smoother than any other Devil Summoner game. DDS still holds up fairly well tho.

Senhua

Eh this is not even about "boomer good - zoomer bad" anime things. It will much better received if they don't use "2" in the title and just outright stated as a "reboot" or give some unique name like "SH 2077: V-TUBER " or anything like that.

For now all I can see is: they doesn't take anything from original except some world building/reference here and there with TMS + P5 gameplay and aesthetics down onto it.
It's more like Red Dead Redemption 3 with full dishonored first person gameplay + aesthetics in it while retains wild west settings. There are reason why sequel usually don't derivative too far from the original

Last edited:
They need to get Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey on there.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yeah I am just gonna treat it like a new sub-series. No one was expecting a new Soul Hackers so it's not like we're losing out on a more conventional sequel or anything. They're definitely taking some pages from P5 and TMS. I'm not loving the character designs but I will give the game a shot. It's an easier pill to swallow coming off of SMT5 too.

Last edited:

Fbh

You know my first reaction to all these games looking the same was "well, it's what anime fans like these days, can't blame these studios for using a style that's popular".

But then you look at the top 10 most streamed shows both inside and outside of japan, and many of them aren't nearly as generic. Shows like Attack on Titan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kingdom and even Demon Slayer all have a modern look that still manages to be more unique and recognizable

5c826287cd6a7.jpg

So now I'm back at not knowing why almost everyone in gaming is using the same generic look.

Last edited:
Top Bottom