• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATLUS announced Soul Hackers 2 coming to PS4/5, XSX/S, XBO and Steam this August

i know Soul Hackers isn't as big as Persona but i don't get what you mean.

this looks higher quality than Persona 5 and i fucking love P5 so not hating on it.

edit: i suppose Persona 5 is more stylish and has a more solid art direction but that's about it...if that's what you mean? :messenger_confused:

Content-wise as well as visually yes. Could be wrong but it's definitely a wait until I see more of it post-release or see more opinions.

Actually from all trailers Soul Hackers 2 has higher quality 3D models, Persona 5 heavy relies on its 2D assets.

3D isnt always better than 2D. Environments and dungeons feel lacking. Only thing visually impressive I saw where the very short shop hubs. Other than that, the dungeons I saw looked...horrible.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
3D isnt always better than 2D. Environments and dungeons feel lacking. Only thing visually impressive I saw where the very short shop hubs. Other than that, the dungeons I saw looked...horrible.
You might like the P5 art direction more but it has nothing to do with “budget” I meant Atlus games are not usually have high budgets in the first place.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
When will Atlus games stop looking like PS3 games? My god, the art design might be very stylish but the actual graphics are tragic.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
An SMT game where the protag is a cute girl.

shin-megami-tensei-jack-frost.gif

Can't wait to put another silly amount of hours into more SMT. Any word on the soundtrack? Hope it's on par with SMT IV and V in that regard.

When will Atlus games stop looking like PS3 games? My god, the art design might be very stylish but the actual graphics are tragic.
Those are niche games, and not hot sellers like FF or DQ. People don't play SMT for the graphics, they do for the darker vibes and engaging gameplay loop of battle/negotiations/demon fusion.

Thief1987

Unless Megami series can sell as much as Final Fantasy series then going high budget with graphics will only hurt them and frankly they dont need it.
No one saying about AAA graphics, but even Falcom's new engine games look more graphically advanced than whatever Atlus is doing.

blackjon24

This game is looking alright, step down in terms of art style maybe but it’s nice seeing a clean HD image vs what we got for smt 5.

I do feel like it would be weird starting this game without finishing smt5 first, lost interest for some reason even thought I was completely addicted to smt4

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
This game is looking alright, step down in terms of art style maybe but it’s nice seeing a clean HD image vs what we got for smt 5.

I do feel like it would be weird starting this game without finishing smt5 first, lost interest for some reason even thought I was completely addicted to smt4
How far did you get with it? Basically all the plot happens as you enter the last area - it's also way bigger, more challenging, and more interesting than the middle two.

Danjin44

How far did you get with it? Basically all the plot happens as you enter the last area - it's also way bigger, more challenging, and more interesting than the middle two.
To me SMTV is press turn perfection, the combat so much fun. I usually replay SMT after couple of weeks but with SMTV I immediately stated my 2nd playthrough.

Azurro

Banned
Unless Megami series can sell as much as Final Fantasy series then going high budget with graphics will only hurt them and frankly they dont need it.

Those are niche games, and not hot sellers like FF or DQ. People don't play SMT for the graphics, they do for the darker vibes and engaging gameplay loop of battle/negotiations/demon fusion.

I don't mean FF graphics, but come on, it's hardly unreasonable to ask they improve the geometry on the characters to at least look above PS3 levels, no?

Danjin44

I don't mean FF graphics, but come on, it's hardly unreasonable to ask they improve the geometry on the characters to at least look above PS3 levels, no?
SMT5 is as far as they pushed technical parts by having huge environments to explore. Most fans are not going to Megami games for high tech graphics and Atlus games are stylish as fuck, it makes up the shortcoming of not having expensive visuals.

NanaMiku

SMT5 is as far as they pushed technical parts by having huge environments to explore. Most fans are not going to Megami games for high tech graphics and Atlus games are stylish as fuck, it makes up the shortcoming of not having expensive visuals.
IIRC, they made new models for every demon in SMT5 right? So maybe newer title will have better models.

I prefer better content than visual for JRPG. More visual = more expensive to make = less content. I feel that for FF7 remake.

Chukhopops

No one saying about AAA graphics, but even Falcom's new engine games look more graphically advanced than whatever Atlus is doing.
Which engine do you mean? The last released Falcom game is Ys IX, which looks way more dated than Soul Hackers 2.

I don’t think it matters though, if it has good combat and story that’s all I care about - and it seems to have both.

From the previews it’s clear some concessions were made to the Persona crowd like simplified demon negotiations but I hope this doesn’t apply to the story.

Karmic Raze

Turn based RPGs aren’t really my thing, but I’m getting this. Looks solid af. I should have gave Persona 5 more of a chance, but I got caught up with other games. Ain’t gonna happen with this game.

EDMIX

Actually from all trailers Soul Hackers 2 has higher quality 3D models, Persona 5 heavy relies on its 2D assets.

True.

I'd assume that too as Persona 5 is more of a PS3 port to PS4 then a ground up title, where Soul Hackers 2 is made from the ground up on PS4 to work on that platform.

I might pick it up some time next year after fall semester is over

Xeaker

How is the gameplay loop like? Is it a dungeon crawler? Looks pretty good to me, did not even know there comes a second one wow.

Thief1987

Which engine do you mean? The last released Falcom game is Ys IX, which looks way more dated than Soul Hackers 2.

I don’t think it matters though, if it has good combat and story that’s all I care about - and it seems to have both.

From the previews it’s clear some concessions were made to the Persona crowd like simplified demon negotiations but I hope this doesn’t apply to the story.
Last released Falcom game is Kuro no Kiseki.

Havoc2049

I just pre-ordered a physical copy for the Xbox Series S/X. I enjoyed Soul Hackers on my 3DS and it offers something unique to the RPG genre.

Top Bottom