• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus Considering Nintendo Switch Ports of Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, and Etrian Odyssey Games

Doczu

Shouldn't they release SMT V before they stsrt thinking about doing anything else? How many years ago was it announced? 3. And no info since then

I'm actually expecting them to do that ala Square. I think when PS5 announces its fancy BC feature, they'll compete with that used market by having all those ports on PSN like you saw from so many publishers when PS3 came out. PSN was PACKED with Resident Evils, Metal Gear Solid, a bunch of Final Fantasies etc. I expect the same to happen when PS5 comes out.

Man I'll go crazy if they do that. The HDMI out in my PS3 doesn't work anymore and for my PS2 I need to buy a new controller and the whole thing is a hassle. If I can unify my collection into one single device holy shit that would be messianic.

EDMIX

Shouldn't they release SMT V before they stsrt thinking about doing anything else? How many years ago was it announced? 3. And no info since then

It might appear that way, but they have more then 1 team to my understanding. Also, for all we know its one of Sega's teams that would be doing the port, remaster etc. Most times that stuff isn't even done internally as even Sega would just outsource it, sorta like how Naughty Dogs themselves didn't do that Uncharted collection on PS4.

I'm itching to play some Shin Megami Tensei every time i'm reminded of them, i always loved the general vibe these games gave off. Unfortunately i've yet to finish a single one, despite spending about a dozen hours into Nocturne and dozens of hours into Persona 3 and Persona 4. I also played a good chunk of Persona 2 (the first of the duology) more than a decade ago, i remember how i thought that the story and characters were great. Why do i not finish these games, damn. One of these days.

KingT731

Shouldn't the thread title actually reflect what the article said? The answers to the questions asked if the person would play them on 9 different platforms (1 other category) and only 1 of them was the Switch.

Vawn

Banned
Wtf..

Port some of these games to newer systems.. not the goddamn switch

So these games that are lower budget and can run equally well on PS4, PS5 or Switch, with the only difference being Switch gives you the choice to play locally, portable or a combination and you are mad they would be on Switch?

The only reason I can think of is that you don't own a Switch. If so, that's a you problem. The system is extremely popular and for good reason.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So these games that are lower budget and can run equally well on PS4, PS5 or Switch, with the only difference being Switch gives you the choice to play locally, portable or a combination and you are mad they would be on Switch?

The only reason I can think of is that you don't own a Switch. If so, that's a you problem. The system is extremely popular and for good reason.

That's not true - the Switch has had difficulty running even fairly low-end games without frame-rate drops, and the PS4 and PS5 would allow for 4K support. And given that P5 Royal runs at 4K, it's not outside the realm of possibility for Atlus to do that. And it's not like the PS2 stuff like Nocturne or DDS wouldn't benefit from that.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
That's not true - the Switch has had difficulty running even fairly low-end games without frame-rate drops, and the PS4 and PS5 would allow for 4K support. And given that P5 Royal runs at 4K, it's not outside the realm of possibility for Atlus to do that. And it's not like the PS2 stuff like Nocturne or DDS wouldn't benefit from that.

I'll take a hybrid version over a 4K PS2 game any day.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
I'm itching to play some Shin Megami Tensei every time i'm reminded of them, i always loved the general vibe these games gave off. Unfortunately i've yet to finish a single one, despite spending about a dozen hours into Nocturne and dozens of hours into Persona 3 and Persona 4. I also played a good chunk of Persona 2 (the first of the duology) more than a decade ago, i remember how i thought that the story and characters were great. Why do i not finish these games, damn. One of these days.

Try SMT IV: less convoluted than previous SMT games, no dialogue heavy unlike Persona (but still has a good story, a cast,...) , no magnetite BS,...

meirl

Banned
Still don’t get the hype for this. Those games are so damn boring an time consuming af. They feel like a chore.

especially persona. So much BS

Last edited:
Totally agree with this. As far as pure gameplay is concerned, Strange Journey is the strongest SMT game I have played. I also really like the atmosphere and soundtrack.
I read in your later comment that you haven't played Nocturne. If possible, play it on emulator so that you can abuse savestates, mainly for demonic fusion where skill inheritance is governed by RNG.

Nocturne was an interesting detour from SMT tradition by not utilizing the typical Law/Neutral/Chaos routes and also not using a first person perspective; SJ returned back to all of these, just not in Tokyo, which the devs deemed important enough to not number it as SMT IV.

But yea SJ was a very pure dungeon crawler and I went in thinking it'd be "discount Etrian Odyssey" but it ended up being a very memorable journey that I've taken multiple times.

It's a thing with SMT and its punk rock ethos (IIRC it was Kaneko who said that); making lower budget JRPGs but infusing them with atmosphere and gameplay to the point of overflowing.

Edit: Missed an "s".

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Still don’t get the hype for this. Those games are so damn boring an time consuming af. They feel like a chore.

especially persona. So much BS
Persona and especially SMT never meant to appeal to everybody, I personally enjoy the press turn combat, demon fusion and dungeon crawling in SMT/Persona series.

I definitely need to come back to Nocturne (and finish it, i haven't touched it in ages) one day but gameplay wise, IV is arguargbly the best SMT: so many quality of life improvements, specifically: demons in the overworld >>>>>>>>>> random encounters, and the Cathedral of Shadows is so much better, always available, easier to navigate, make comparisons, or just follow the recommended options when you don't want to bother with all that stuff.

IV is absolutely the SMT i'd recommend to newcomers, as it's perhaps the only one who does guide you a little.

As for the story it's hard to say, Nocturne is a bit different from the usual SMT especially in the way it deals with the allignments, story in general seems more sparse, but also more original.

On the other hand i'd say IV is a bit of a roller coaster of emotions: it does a bit too much hand holding sometimes especially up to Medusa, it all feels like a giant tutorial. (at least it's not a wall of text like SJ first hour) It takes notes from Persona on having a good cast of protagonists, at the same time some of the NPCs dialogues are a bit rushed and predictable, but the premise is very cool.
IV has my favourite start into Tokyo (you know what I mean) and the title track is a tune for the ages.

It wasn't perfect all round but the atmosphere was so thick it was ridiculous, especially in Tokyo. Anyone fortunate enough to be able to play it in 3D without getting dizzy was in for a real treat.

Persona and especially SMT never meant to appeal to everybody, I personally enjoy the press turn combat, demon fusion and dungeon crawling in SMT/Persona series.
Persona has definitely been going down the route of appealing to a wider audience ever since 3.

And it's gotten so popular from Atlus' POV that SMT IV has also taken some cues with regards to appealing character designs; Walter and Isabeau make for much better eye candy than Jimenez and Zelenin.

Seeing as how P5 also took cues from SMT in a sense, I'm curious to see if there'll be more of this cross-pollination in future titles.

Danjin44

Persona has definitely been going down the route of appealing to a wider audience ever since 3.

And it's gotten so popular from Atlus' POV that SMT IV has also taken some cues with regards to appealing character designs; Walter and Isabeau make for much better eye candy than Jimenez and Zelenin.

Seeing as how P5 also took cues from SMT in a sense, I'm curious to see if there'll be more of this cross-pollination in future titles.
What I mean is if someone is much more in to traditional JRPG with towns and everything, Persona/SMT may not appeal to them because at their heart they are dungeon crawler rather than your typical JRPG.

What I mean is if someone is much more in to traditional JRPG with towns and everything, Persona/SMT may not appeal to them because at their heart they are dungeon crawler rather than your typical JRPG.
Thanks for clarifying cause it wasn't apparent from your earlier comment.

And while I agree that SMT and Persona are dungeon crawlers at heart, I don't think that's what separates them so much from traditional JRPGs.

Rather, the main difference is the scope of the world. In SMT and Persona the world tends to feel compressed whilst in most other JRPGs they usually have you traversing what feels like a continent or even multiple.

I gotta say the smaller scope in SMT/P has never bothered me. I've always been captivated by the atmosphere, the premise, the enemy designs (not P4G haha) and the combat systems. I wonder if I'll ever get bored with SMT being set in Tokyo, but at the rate Atlus is making them, I might be dead before I'm bored.

Paltheos

I definitely need to come back to Nocturne (and finish it, i haven't touched it in ages) one day but gameplay wise, IV is arguargbly the best SMT: so many quality of life improvements, specifically: demons in the overworld >>>>>>>>>> random encounters, and the Cathedral of Shadows is so much better, always available, easier to navigate, make comparisons, or just follow the recommended options when you don't want to bother with all that stuff.

This is an opinion I've seen quite a bit, and I super disagree. I hated IV's fusion and party management- It's completely backwards to how I want to play. It shows you the results of fusions before anything else. You then need to click on each of the myriad options to see what you're giving up to get that result. On top of that, I had a hell of time remembering some of these guys from the one-lines in the description that list their name and a small portrait. The game doesn't give me enough information.

I much prefer Nocturne's Cathedral of Shadows. Game gives you a constant list of all your demons, same as in your regular menu, and you can see on-screen 'okay, this guy has these skills and I'm ready to give up that guy, let's see what I get for them'. The fusion results pop up from the ones you choose and you can see what skills carry over and what don't and if it's something that you think is worth the demons you're sacrificing. I also think it's more intuitive in teaching you what demon classes produce what results because you're moving from beginning to end, and on an unrelated note I think I prefer the old-style SMT games that don't let you freely choose what skills carry over so you have to work a little harder at managing your team and fusions or be willing to grind a little more on getting acceptable combinations.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This is an opinion I've seen quite a bit, and I super disagree. I hated IV's fusion and party management- It's completely backwards to how I want to play. It shows you the results of fusions before anything else. You then need to click on each of the myriad options to see what you're giving up to get that result. On top of that, I had a hell of time remembering some of these guys from the one-lines in the description that list their name and a small portrait. The game doesn't give me enough information.

I much prefer Nocturne's Cathedral of Shadows. Game gives you a constant list of all your demons, same as in your regular menu, and you can see on-screen 'okay, this guy has these skills and I'm ready to give up that guy, let's see what I get for them'. The fusion results pop up from the ones you choose and you can see what skills carry over and what don't and if it's something that you think is worth the demons you're sacrificing. I also think it's more intuitive in teaching you what demon classes produce what results because you're moving from beginning to end, and on an unrelated note I think I prefer the old-style SMT games that don't let you freely choose what skills carry over so you have to work a little harder at managing your team and fusions or be willing to grind a little more on getting acceptable combinations.
4A had the best fusion system in the entire series no idea why'd you want a shittier restricting fusion system purposely.

It is in development, and is probably doing well, otherwise they wouldn't put up such a poll I guess. This year we'll hear more about Shin Megami Tensei V. Expect an early-mid 2021 release.

Persona 5 was also years in development, with people questioning its fate. It's an ATLUS thing.

Paltheos

4A had the best fusion system in the entire series no idea why'd you want a shittier restricting fusion system purposely.

No clue on 4A since I skipped it. I can only say what I like about the old games, going off what you highlighted(?).

1) I was pretty thorough about that one. What's different about 4A vs. 4?
2) You can't make your party into invincible juggernauts with free skill transfer. I like skill hierarchy in Nocturne - that is, low level skills had a much higher probability to transfer, so you had to level up your demons to get rid of bad skills, fuse for a demon component to erase the skill, or cleverly use a demon sacrifice to skirt around the issue. It gave you much more excuse to toil around in the lab too! I think I spent... an hour or so resetting for a good Beelzebub, not counting the time I spent resetting for its components to cut as many crap skills as possible, and I was ok with that. If I'd gotten everything that I wanted immediately by just selecting the skills when I fuse, he would have been way too strong. Instead I had to compromise, decide on what skill I was willing to cut. You call it shitty, but I call the new SMT style lazy. 'Don't worry about how strong the player can become, just give them everything they want.' On this point I know I'm not alone. I've seen a few people complain about this before.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No clue on 4A since I skipped it. I can only say what I like about the old games, going off what you highlighted(?).

1) I was pretty thorough about that one. What's different about 4A vs. 4?
2) You can't make your party into invincible juggernauts with free skill transfer. I like skill hierarchy in Nocturne - that is, low level skills had a much higher probability to transfer, so you had to level up your demons to get rid of bad skills, fuse for a demon component to erase the skill, or cleverly use a demon sacrifice to skirt around the issue. It gave you much more excuse to toil around in the lab too! I think I spent... an hour or so resetting for a good Beelzebub, not counting the time I spent resetting for its components to cut as many crap skills as possible, and I was ok with that. If I'd gotten everything that I wanted immediately by just selecting the skills when I fuse, he would have been way too strong. Instead I had to compromise, decide on what skill I was willing to cut. You call it shitty, but I call the new SMT style lazy. 'Don't worry about how strong the player can become, just give them everything they want.' On this point I know I'm not alone. I've seen a few people complain about this before.
You are saying you dislike having choices that can build you great demons. Since you enjoy RNG that takes longer to do because you enjoy punishing yourself like it was some sort of achievement? Good for you! But that's shit and I'm glad I can invest my time into making great demons thru many many fusions. Even thought this system exists I don't get your complaints. You can always auto NTR yourself and not make a "perfect" demon it is not like the game automatically does it for you either. I don't get the lazy complaint either. I can assure you it takes time to build great demons. (on 4A)

Apocalypse is similar to 4 outside elemental cons and pros which meant even if you put the strongest "zio" skill on say Angel she'd have a -4 affinity for it and I thought that was great.

oT14hJZ.jpg

I am too lazy to take a screeshot though!

Yagami_Sama

I really thought that Persona 5 would be a given after Joker joined Smash.

I am in for any port of the old games, but nowadays I am not that confident or hopeful.

But Etryan Odyssey I believe is just a matter of time.

Ladioss

Is it an unpopular opinion to think that smt4 is the best smt game? I would love a remake on switch or modern consoles

4/4A are quite fine games. Their only big drawback IMO is that they were produced years after that 90s occult maniac subculture hits its peak in Japan; in a sense, classic SMT games are literally outdated and an anomaly in 2020.
Not that I would complain when SMTV eventually comes out...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
4/4A are quite fine games. Their only big drawback IMO is that they were produced years after that 90s occult maniac subculture hits its peak in Japan; in a sense, classic SMT games are literally outdated and an anomaly in 2020.
Not that I would complain when SMTV eventually comes out...

Yeah that's why i think with SMTV they have to find new themes, actual concerns of this century like: terrorism fear, coronavirus, climate change, far right rising again,... and for future titles don't be afraid to move away from the traditional Tokyo setting as they did with Strange Journey.

Atlus Says Its 2020 User Survey Had A Record Number Of Participants

"[...] the company has announced via Twitter that this year’s survey hit a record high in the number of participants, far exceeding expectations. As a result, the survey has concluded two days early and Atlus thanks users for their valuable opinions.

It’s possible that the survey did better this year because of the Switch-specific question or even because Atlus games have grown more popular in general. It also remains to be seen if any of the requests from the survey will pan out over the next year or two."

drganon

I'd double dip on some persona games if they ever brought them over to the switch. My pc sucks so I wouldn't get much out of those ports but the pc master race should be able to enjoy the persona games too. The more people who buy the games the better off atlus/sega is.

cireza

Banned
But Unfortunately Vita is dead, so why would Atlus would release the on Vita instead of Switch?
Dedicated Switch port is not the problem. Both versions can exist.

When is a console dead ? This doesn't mean anything. There are people buying MegaDrive and Dreamcast games even today, and Vita was still getting decent releases not so long ago.

Vita version already exist and was released in Japan, they simply had to release an English version alongside the PS4 version back then.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Dedicated Switch port is not the problem. Both versions can exist.

When is a console dead ? This doesn't mean anything. There are people buying MegaDrive and Dreamcast games even today, and Vita was still getting decent releases not so long ago.

Vita version already exist and was released in Japan, they simply had to release an English version alongside the PS4 version back then.
Even it does get Vita release I highly doubt we gonna get it in west, same way we didn’t got 3DS version for DQXI.

Danjin44

Vita version was released at the same time as PS4 version in Japan. This version already exists and could have been released at the same time as the PS4 version in the West, months ago.
You are right, I forgot Full Body got Vita release but it never left Japan. But I still don’t think we gonna get Vita version on west. We didn’t even got 3DS version for DQXI even tho 3DS did much better than Vita in west.

cireza

Banned
But I still don’t think we gonna get Vita version on west
We won't, they took the decision along time ago. Which is sad as the Vita code exist as well as the English translation.

Hacking scene will eventually patch the Japanese version I believe, when a way to unpack the PS4 game will be available.

MagnesG

Banned
We won't, they took the decision along time ago. Which is sad as the Vita code exist as well as the English translation.

Hacking scene will eventually patch the Japanese version I believe, when a way to unpack the PS4 game will be available.
They would, obviously. Especially when the Switch port is released later.

I would 100% rebuy Persona 3 and 4 on Switch. Honestly I'd grab all of the former PS2 releases on Switch. That would be rad, esp since my PS2 is a little iffy.

MMaRsu

Banned
I would 100% rebuy Persona 3 and 4 on Switch. Honestly I'd grab all of the former PS2 releases on Switch. That would be rad, esp since my PS2 is a little iffy.

I just emulate my ps2 games, I have nocturne sealed and im not about to open it.

Also you can play Nocturne in very high resolution with 100% gamespeed and its dope as hell

savestates too

Danjin44

I own both Switch and PS4 and I LOVE Persona series but Switch is getting SMTV and and much as I love Persona series I personally consider SMT series as better games. So what I really want form Atlus is to give me some god damn news on SMTV already, this game is my entire reason I decided to buy Switch in the first place.

Top Bottom