• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs PC

Riky

$MSFT
I know that Cerny is a great engineer and architect but sometimes I wonder why the Xbox guys don't receive the same praise.

Based on some comparatives both machines are quite similar, sometimes one better than the other. However, Xbox is smaller, quieter and most importantly, according to DF, consumes less power, sometimes much less, when running the same game. For me, the X seems better design and nobody talk about the Xbox architects. I never heard who they are. Is Jason Ronald the main architect?

It's also cheaper here in the UK, but until we see true built from the ground up next gen games the jury is still out. Looking at Forza with in game RT the Series consoles are about to start hitting their stride.

Last edited:
Mark Cerny is just a meme really, I love it, it's pretty obvious the xbox and ps5 are almost identical.

Tell that to the people back in 2020, 2021, even 2022 who did and consistently still try saying Xbox will "blow the doors" off PS5 once "DA TOOHLZ!!!" finally arrive. When "the power of Mesh Shaders, Velocity Architecture, and Sampler Feedback Streaming" are finally utilized and we get that 40% advantage for Series X all based on a misunderstood photo mode test in Control.

The sane among us were always (or mostly always) saying the two systems would be virtually equivalent in performance and, if there were any notable differences, it'd probably be in the 1P and certain 3P exclusives to show that off. But Series X is having a hard time actually keeping pace with PS5 performance in multiple games now, and we're in the third year of the console generation. These types of performance deltas were expected in the first year, not the third.

Either the API/tools situation with Xbox is really bad, or there are more glaring design bottlenecks present than maybe first thought. And this is a game that's in Game Pass Day 1; Microsoft basically have marketing rights on it, so I figure they'd of helped the team with optimization on Xbox. The performance issues present should theoretically not exist.

The reason for that is that PS5 has the straight forward rendering advantage but Series X has the compute advantage so most games will run better on PS5 until devs move some stuff over to compute.

Maybe (it'll really come down to how games are using the extra compute, before saying it'll manifest a notable advantage for Series X. Same can kind of be said for PS5's SSD since a small amount of games barely load any faster on it or in rare cases are a hair faster to load on Series X).

But here's the baffling part: Atomic Heart is a game Microsoft having marketing rights on. It's Day 1 in Game Pass, so we can assume they have in fact helped the developer with optimizations.

If so, and these are the results, then something's going on with either MS's GDK API tools, or a design choice in the console itself that's presenting more of a bottleneck than anticipated. It's either that or Microsoft did not help the team optimize the game for the system but, why would they neglect that when it's seemingly a game which would be a big push for the system and Game Pass in a year where they need all the hits they can get to make up for 2022, and also to not lose even more ground to PlayStation?

So I can' see MS having not assisted the dev team at all.

Last edited:

onQ123

I know that Cerny is a great engineer and architect but sometimes I wonder why the Xbox guys don't receive the same praise.

Based on some comparatives both machines are quite similar, sometimes one better than the other. However, Xbox is smaller, quieter and most importantly, according to DF, consumes less power, sometimes much less, when running the same game. For me, the X seems better design and nobody talk about the Xbox architects. I never heard who they are. Is Jason Ronald the main architect?
PS5 also has a lot of advantage like faster I/O , USB-C faster better Wifi chip , more features on the controller & so on .

lucbr

Because those are generally just nice-to-haves and aren't things most gamers and certainly developers, actually care about.

Also AFAIK both systems consume similar amounts of power running the same games, PS5 maybe a tad more so at points but that was also before the move to 6nm. I think you're conflating the "sometimes much less" part with the power saving settings features, which was somewhat incorrect even at the time the article got written.

Xbox systems do seem to default to a mode at rest where less power is consumed than PS5. But that's down to the platform holders and their preferences.

I relied on this report:

https://www.eurogamer.net/heres-how-much-power-your-consoles-use-and-how-much-that-costs-in-the-uk

I don't know if it's up to date but according to this Eurogamer report, XSX consumes less power when running the same game, when iddle and when using media applications. In sleep mode, mode in which PS5 consume less, Xbox is more efficient while downloading a game.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Tell that to the people back in 2020, 2021, even 2022 who did and consistently still try saying Xbox will "blow the doors" off PS5 once "DA TOOHLZ!!!" finally arrive. When "the power of Mesh Shaders, Velocity Architecture, and Sampler Feedback Streaming" are finally utilized and we get that 40% advantage for Series X all based on a misunderstood photo mode test in Control.

The sane among us were always (or mostly always) saying the two systems would be virtually equivalent in performance and, if there were any notable differences, it'd probably be in the 1P and certain 3P exclusives to show that off. But Series X is having a hard time actually keeping pace with PS5 performance in multiple games now, and we're in the third year of the console generation. These types of performance deltas were expected in the first year, not the third.

Either the API/tools situation with Xbox is really bad, or there are more glaring design bottlenecks present than maybe first thought. And this is a game that's in Game Pass Day 1; Microsoft basically have marketing rights on it, so I figure they'd of helped the team with optimization on Xbox. The performance issues present should theoretically not exist.

I bet you'll be saying this in 2035...lol. I wasn't saying it. There was also the people saying that the ps5 would beat pcs for years to come thanks to its untouchable god like io. There's crazy on both sides, just laugh at it.

PC is destroying consoles now just like it has for every gen.

Mr Moose

I relied on this report:

https://www.eurogamer.net/heres-how-much-power-your-consoles-use-and-how-much-that-costs-in-the-uk

I don't know if it's up to date but according to this Eurogamer report, XSX consumes less power when running the same game, when iddle and when using media applications. In sleep mode, mode in which PS5 consume less, Xbox is more efficient while downloading a game.
That's not up to date, but it would show what the OG PS5s would use (like mine). I think the newer models use less power.

onQ123

They was running amok before the games hit
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ot-xbox-power-king-memes.1531914/

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Xbox version a mess
dj khaled sip GIF by Apple Music
The Game Pass Eff....

Kidding. I am sure they'll patch it.

Banned
If DX12 does not help developers by minimizing their workload and instead asks them to put in a lot of the work -- in comparison with other APIs -- then one can say DX12 isn't that good, and other APIs might be a better option.

I mean they could go with Vulkan, but that has basically the same issue for devs like that.
or they could go with DX11 and miss out on features...

and then there's OpenGL 4.6 I guess 🤣

Three

Summary:

- Powered by Unreal Engine 4
- DF are fond of the games visual make up but say you can spot flaws as well.

- Current gen consoles get IQ and frame rate boost over last gen
- PS5|SX use dynamic 2160p with Unreal TAA. Mostly stays near or at full 4K.
- PS5 and SX are like for like in terms of visual features.

- Series S comes at 1080p with some minor drops but mostly 1080p.
- Series S also cuts foliage density and geometric detail, also no motion blur.

- PS5 seems to run the game at a steady 60 FPS with minor drops
- SX can drop frames and stutters and can drop to high 30s in the intro
- Series S doesn't stutter as much as SX but still prone to drop.
- The day 1 patch on Xbox version causes massive frame time spikes and have other glitches like missing videos on in-game projection screens as well

- PC version doesn't have RT despite it being promised earlier
- Shader compilation offered at launch of the game
- Minor cut-scene drops aside the stutter is far less than most modern games
- General PC specs and comparison with consoles shows higher quality features

- PC supports DLSS2 and FSR 1.0
- DLSS3 frame generation also supported
The massive flaws with Xbox version strangely missing from this summary. The timestamped section here not mentioned at all

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Yeah, it's Jason, I believe. But Mark Cerny is just an absolute industry legend, which is why he is so well-known.

I don't want the thread to be derailed, so I'll just add this one response to it.

Comparing head to head, PS5 vs. XSX, PS5 is a better-designed console in a way. It's bigger, yes, but just as quiet as the XSX. More importantly, though, it's essentially a $399 console that matches and, sometimes, beats a $499 XSX (as in this game). In addition, that console also has a 2x faster SSD and also allows for VR gaming. Then other features like haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, 3D Tempest audio, etc.

The combination of all these things, at a lower price point, especially with a theoretically low TeraFlop count makes PS5 just look better. That's why I think it gets more praise, and rightly so in my opinion.

damidu

anyways i’ll try to live with the poor performance,
not planning to pay anything for something thats on gamepass.

I relied on this report:

Mr Moose Mr Moose already answered.

I bet you'll be saying this in 2035...lol. I wasn't saying it. There was also the people saying that the ps5 would beat pcs for years to come thanks to its untouchable god like io. There's crazy on both sides, just laugh at it.

PC is destroying consoles now just like it has for every gen.

I wouldn't say PC's "destroying" consoles ATM considering some games are running worst on PC than PS5 with somewhat console-ish specs in tested PC builds. You either need a notably more powerful CPU or GPU, more RAM, faster SSD or some combination to cleanly outdo PS5 & Series X performance on PC with some of the latest games, and most PC gamers aren't rocking the higher-end stuff.

But you're right in a theoretical sense; if you have the right equipment, you can outdo the consoles on PC. Problem is, that's like maybe 5% of all PC gamers, maybe 8% at most (going by Steam results). Which is like at most around 10.4 million Steam users (going by Steams 130 million MAU claims).

But it's actually lower than that, because some of those people have multiple GPUs, and probably only use one of them as their main. And they're not going to buy a copy of the game for each GPU they have (in some cases they probably only play F2P games anyway so they wouldn't be buying any software directly).

Connxtion

Only played to the monorails part thing, but had zero performance issues at all, though am using VRR on my CX, hides all issues 😂

The video they are saying doesn’t play on Xbox played fine on mine 🤷‍♂️ so don’t know why they ain’t getting any videos playing. When I first walked into that area (swam) the video wasn’t there, it turned on like a TV and started playing after I tried to unlock the door.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
How was DF missing these distant details and sharpness? The whole building in the distance and the building on the right next to the statue has much more detail on the PS5.

image.png

image.png
It's clearly higher resolution on PS5. Maybe like 10-20% or so. The difference on leaves is quite noticeable. Also obviously better LOD on Sony console. Odd that this time they don't talk about the resolution difference, hey?

Last edited:
The massive flaws with Xbox version strangely missing from this summary. The timestamped section here not mentioned at all

Jeez, did Microsoft help the devs out AT ALL with technical optimizations? They got the game for Game Pass, you'd think they would have helped out on the Xbox version to prevent this bad performance and bugs from being there Day 1.

Godfavor

Jeez, did Microsoft help the devs out AT ALL with technical optimizations? They got the game for Game Pass, you'd think they would have helped out on the Xbox version to prevent this bad performance and bugs from being there Day 1.
Game optimizations have no relation with the marketing team 90% of the time

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's clearly higher resolution on PS5. Maybe like 10-20% or so. The difference on leaves is quite noticeable. Also obviously better LOD on Sony console. Odd that this time they don't talk about the resolution difference, hey?
Yep. In addition, the shadow settings also seem lower on XSX. A few items don't even cast shadows, and they are close enough to the screen that I doubt it had to with the LOD issues. For example:

QoSfhgU.jpg

lucbr

Yeah, it's Jason, I believe. But Mark Cerny is just an absolute industry legend, which is why he is so well-known.

I don't want the thread to be derailed, so I'll just add this one response to it.

Comparing head to head, PS5 vs. XSX, PS5 is a better-designed console in a way. It's bigger, yes, but just as quiet as the XSX. More importantly, though, it's essentially a $399 console that matches and, sometimes, beats a $499 XSX (as in this game). In addition, that console also has a 2x faster SSD and also allows for VR gaming. Then other features like haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, 3D Tempest audio, etc.

The combination of all these things, at a lower price point, especially with a theoretically low TeraFlop count makes PS5 just look better. That's why I think it gets more praise, and rightly so in my opinion.

I understand that, but actually, what caught my attention was the fact that the Xbox consumes less power while having performance, this comparing the release models.

In some games the difference reaches almost 30% in energy consumption, which makes the SX much more efficient. I know they were lunch models, but I imagine that both want to reduce the consumption in the long run.

Mr Moose

I understand that, but actually, what caught my attention was the fact that the Xbox consumes less power while having performance, this comparing the release models.

In some games the difference reaches almost 30% in energy consumption, which makes the SX much more efficient. I know they were lunch models, but I imagine that both want to reduce the consumption in the long run.
Higher GPU clocks.

Yep. In addition, the shadow settings also seem lower on XSX. A few items don't even cast shadows, and they are close enough to the screen that I doubt it had to with the LOD issues. For example:

QoSfhgU.jpg
there was no need for the red square. the lack of that tiny shadow was so obvious enough! in fact there was no need to zoom all the way in. /s

they are two different shots that you can't even compare. in the xbox shot the tree is covering the area where the shadow is in the PS5 shot....

Last edited:

onQ123

Maybe (it'll really come down to how games are using the extra compute, before saying it'll manifest a notable advantage for Series X. Same can kind of be said for PS5's SSD since a small amount of games barely load any faster on it or in rare cases are a hair faster to load on Series X).

But here's the baffling part: Atomic Heart is a game Microsoft having marketing rights on. It's Day 1 in Game Pass, so we can assume they have in fact helped the developer with optimizations.

If so, and these are the results, then something's going on with either MS's GDK API tools, or a design choice in the console itself that's presenting more of a bottleneck than anticipated. It's either that or Microsoft did not help the team optimize the game for the system but, why would they neglect that when it's seemingly a game which would be a big push for the system and Game Pass in a year where they need all the hits they can get to make up for 2022, and also to not lose even more ground to PlayStation?

I was explaining why it seems that some Series X games need more work after release . Like if the same code is running on both consoles it will more than likely start off running better on PS5 because most of the main GPU hardware is turned up higher but Series X has work arounds & more CUs so devs end up getting around the bottlenecks by moving stuff to compute & so on. it's not always going to be the case but that's most likely what is happening.

It's also cheaper here in the UK, but until we see true built from the ground up next gen games the jury is still out. Looking at Forza with in game RT the Series consoles are about to start hitting their stride.

Forza Motorsport is using a cheaper means of RT in-game versus in replays; Eurogamer article has a few quotes on this from Alex:

Interestingly though, the other trailer - the one-minute sizzle reel - looks quite different. It boasts a lot of diffuse reflections, which Turn 10 recently confirmed is the result of ray-traced global illumination (and evidently better-quality RT reflections) in replays, the garage and photo mode. That's great from a technological standpoint, but labelling it as 'in-game 4K footage' when we're talking about replay cameras feels a little off in terms of transparency to the audience, especially when the other trailer which is based on gameplay fidelity shows no RTGI and less impressive reflections while being labelled in the same way.

Just putting that out there if you're thinking the game's going to have balls-to-the-wall full RT GI at native 4K or whatnot. I strongly doubt that. Maybe they can do it with a locked 30 FPS mode but I don't think a Forza Motorsport's been 30 FPS since the first entry, and that was eons ago.

Game optimizations have no relation with the marketing team 90% of the time

I mean in terms of the company with the marketing rights, among platform holders. Microsoft have marketing rights on Atomic Heart, no? I figure that was part of the deal when they got it for Game Pass Day 1. So I was at least expecting them to help with optimization of the Xbox versions, not just to make sure the game runs as well as possible Day 1 but also because of the optics when it's something you have marketing rights to.

But it seems like they did not care to do this, because the Xbox versions sound like they have a lot of performance issues that shouldn't be there. Or, they did, yet somehow this was the best they could do in help? Either way something either went wrong or Microsoft's idea of how to help devs on a game they have marketing rights to is severely lacking.

Not really wanting to bring a comparison to Sony in this but, you can see how with the games they have marketing rights on, they ALWAYS provide technically assistance & support for the developers. They know the optics would look bad if a game they have marketing rights on (and is a multiplat, no less) ran like garbage on PlayStation icomapred to competing devices. That's effectively a waste of getting the marketing rights.

We've seen Microsoft provide that type of technical support for games like The Ascent, but I guess they're only willing to do it if they have full exclusivity or timed exclusivity. Doesn't work out for them in this example.

I was explaining why it seems that some Series X games need more work after release . Like if the same code is running on both consoles it will more than likely start off running better on PS5 because most of the main GPU hardware is turned up higher but Series X has work arounds & more CUs so devs end up getting around the bottlenecks by moving stuff to compute & so on. it's not always going to be the case but that's most likely what is happening.

Get what you're saying and you'd be right in most cases. But I'm just particularly baffled why Atomic Heart specifically is having these issues on Series X (and S) considering, IIRC, Microsoft have the marketing rights?

Did Microsoft simply not provide any technical assistance to the dev team whatsoever? Were they thinking about the optics and how having the worst-performing version of a game they got for Game Pass, would hurt them? Especially considering Xbox has been struggling a bit compared to PS5 in other, bigger multiplat releases the past few months? Games that, FWIW, are no longer cross-gen?

I'm guessing Microsoft either only provide that type of help with games that are fully console exclusive or timed exclusive to Xbox console-wise, neither of which are the case with Atomic Heart. But you'd think they would want to make sure the game's runny well relative to the PS5 version, for their Game Pass subscribers, right? At the very least it shows a lack of care on Microsoft's part IMO, when other companies like Sony have shown they're willing to invest in providing technical support for games they have marketing rights to, even if they're multiplat and launching on other consoles Day 1.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Forza Motorsport is using a cheaper means of RT in-game versus in replays; Eurogamer article has a few quotes on this from Alex:

Just putting that out there if you're thinking the game's going to have balls-to-the-wall full RT GI at native 4K or whatnot. I strongly doubt that. Maybe they can do it with a locked 30 FPS mode but I don't think a Forza Motorsport's been 30 FPS since the first entry, and that was eons ago.

The Devs have already said they will have higher settings on replays, we don't need DF to tell us that when Turn 10 said it themselves.
It doesn't change the fact we have Ray Traced reflections in game even on Series S.

onQ123

I mean in terms of the company with the marketing rights, among platform holders. Microsoft have marketing rights on Atomic Heart, no? I figure that was part of the deal when they got it for Game Pass Day 1. So I was at least expecting them to help with optimization of the Xbox versions, not just to make sure the game runs as well as possible Day 1 but also because of the optics when it's something you have marketing rights to.

But it seems like they did not care to do this, because the Xbox versions sound like they have a lot of performance issues that shouldn't be there. Or, they did, yet somehow this was the best they could do in help? Either way something either went wrong or Microsoft's idea of how to help devs on a game they have marketing rights to is severely lacking.

Not really wanting to bring a comparison to Sony in this but, you can see how with the games they have marketing rights on, they ALWAYS provide technically assistance & support for the developers. They know the optics would look bad if a game they have marketing rights on (and is a multiplat, no less) ran like garbage on PlayStation icomapred to competing devices. That's effectively a waste of getting the marketing rights.

We've seen Microsoft provide that type of technical support for games like The Ascent, but I guess they're only willing to do it if they have full exclusivity or timed exclusivity. Doesn't work out for them in this example.

Get what you're saying and you'd be right in most cases. But I'm just particularly baffled why Atomic Heart specifically is having these issues on Series X (and S) considering, IIRC, Microsoft have the marketing rights?

Did Microsoft simply not provide any technical assistance to the dev team whatsoever? Were they thinking about the optics and how having the worst-performing version of a game they got for Game Pass, would hurt them? Especially considering Xbox has been struggling a bit compared to PS5 in other, bigger multiplat releases the past few months? Games that, FWIW, are no longer cross-gen?

I'm guessing Microsoft either only provide that type of help with games that are fully console exclusive or timed exclusive to Xbox console-wise, neither of which are the case with Atomic Heart. But you'd think they would want to make sure the game's runny well relative to the PS5 version, for their Game Pass subscribers, right? At the very least it shows a lack of care on Microsoft's part IMO, when other companies like Sony have shown they're willing to invest in providing technical support for games they have marketing rights to, even if they're multiplat and launching on other consoles Day 1.
Marketing isn't going to change the design of the game unless it was a case of Sony or MS stepping in from the beginning & telling the devs to build the game around their hardware.

The Devs have already said they will have higher settings on replays, we don't need DF to tell us that when Turn 10 said it themselves.
It doesn't change the fact we have Ray Traced reflections in game even on Series S.

Yeah but look at that last part you just said; "even on Series S". Remember when Microsoft were first marketing the Series S and said everything would be exactly the same as Series X, just at lower resolution? Well there haven't been a lot of games on Series S with RT, when the Series X versions have RT in them.

It shouldn't be like a miracle occurrence that Series S finally gets RT in a game. Hopefully going forward, RT in Series S versions of games is more normalized, then maybe Microsoft's earlier marketing for the system can actually live up to the claims.

I'm curious to see how extensive RT is in Forza for the console though, especially the S version.

LordOfChaos

There's a few full frame FPS drops, but what I'm noticing a lot more is some elements that animate at a much lower framerate than the rest of the scene, like some of the tentacle things, or some of the turbine things on airships

I also thought some of the blockiness and temporal weirdness around the turbines was a reconstruction technique, I guess not so on consoles? Maybe just no AA there?

Riky

$MSFT
Yeah but look at that last part you just said; "even on Series S". Remember when Microsoft were first marketing the Series S and said everything would be exactly the same as Series X, just at lower resolution? Well there haven't been a lot of games on Series S with RT, when the Series X versions have RT in them.

It shouldn't be like a miracle occurrence that Series S finally gets RT in a game. Hopefully going forward, RT in Series S versions of games is more normalized, then maybe Microsoft's earlier marketing for the system can actually live up to the claims.

I'm curious to see how extensive RT is in Forza for the console though, especially the S version.

You believed marketing?

Jason Ronald who actually designed the machines was pretty clear before launch that they would let developers decide and that they could lower other graphical effects that didn't affect gameplay, the interview is well known by now.

Also Microsoft is not responsible for third parties and the performance of their games, no more than Sony is when something doesn't run as well on PS.

Yes Forza will be interesting on both consoles but it will prove that the Series S is capable of RT in the right hands.

Pedro Motta

it doesn't. it's excellent, but many developers suck balls. as soon as they have to actually do the work themselves and not have the API do it for them they fall on their faces
Dude are you serious? You have HUNDREDS of developers with issues working with DX12, the only common denominator here is DirectX12, not the devs being lazy. Christ, what a stretch.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
there was no need for the red square. the lack of that tiny shadow was so obvious enough! in fact there was no need to zoom all the way in. /s

they are two different shots that you can't even compare. in the xbox shot the tree is covering the area where the shadow is in the PS5 shot....
The shadow is still missing though. Even if the position of the leaves is slightly different, the leaves will still cast the shadow.

The sun is in the exact same position in both images, as evident by the identical shadows under the railing and the shadow just left of the window.

Top Bottom