• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs PC

Summary:

- Powered by Unreal Engine 4
- DF are fond of the games visual make up but say you can spot flaws as well.

- Current gen consoles get IQ and frame rate boost over last gen
- PS5|SX use dynamic 2160p with Unreal TAA. Mostly stays near or at full 4K.
- PS5 and SX are like for like in terms of visual features.

- Series S comes at 1080p with some minor drops but mostly 1080p.
- Series S also cuts foliage density and geometric detail, also no motion blur.

- PS5 seems to run the game at a steady 60 FPS with minor drops
- SX can drop frames and stutters and can drop to high 30s in the intro
- Series S doesn't stutter as much as SX but still prone to drop.
- The day 1 patch on Xbox version causes massive frame time spikes and have other glitches like missing videos on in-game projection screens as well

- PC version doesn't have RT despite it being promised earlier
- Shader compilation offered at launch of the game
- Minor cut-scene drops aside the stutter is far less than most modern games
- General PC specs and comparison with consoles shows higher quality features

- PC supports DLSS2 and FSR 1.0
- DLSS3 frame generation also supported

Thanks adamsapple adamsapple for the summary!

Last edited:

AnotherOne

Xbox version a mess
dj khaled sip GIF by Apple Music

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
PC:

- Doesn't suck

Nice! Will still wait on some patches, hopefully they fix the choppy animations without the need of any mods.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Summary:

- Powered by Unreal Engine 4
- DF are fond of the games visual make up but say you can spot flaws as well.

- Current gen consoles get IQ and frame rate boost over last gen
- PS5|SX use dynamic 2160p with Unreal TAA. Mostly stays near or at full 4K.
- PS5 and SX are like for like in terms of visual features.

- Series S comes at 1080p with some minor drops but mostly 1080p.
- Series S also cuts foliage density and geometric detail, also no motion blur.

- PS5 seems to run the game at a steady 60 FPS with minor drops
- SX can drop frames and stutters and can drop to high 30s in the intro
- Series S doesn't stutter as much as SX but still prone to drop.
- The day 1 patch on Xbox version causes massive frame time spikes and have other glitches like missing videos on in-game projection screens as well
- Other glitches on Xbox version like foliage popping in/out and being unable to pause the game also observed.

- PC version doesn't have RT despite it being promised earlier
- Shader compilation offered at launch of the game
- Minor cut-scene drops aside the stutter is far less than most modern games
- General PC specs and comparison with consoles shows higher quality features

- PC supports DLSS2 and FSR 1.0
- DLSS3 frame generation also supported

Last edited:

Banned
On pc it runs like a dream except for lack of rtx, the game still look better than majority (if not all) games with rtx anyway.

yeah but I'll not play it until RT is there. this seems not to be anything that has a single ounce of replay value, so I'll play it when its finished. no rush.

I played through the opening sequence just to see if the PC version sucks, which was a high probability given it's UE4.
I was pleasantly surprised by how it runs, so here's hoping RT will come sooner rather than later

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
it doesn't. it's excellent, but many developers suck balls. as soon as they have to actually do the work themselves and not have the API do it for them they fall on their faces
If DX12 does not help developers by minimizing their workload and instead asks them to put in a lot of the work -- in comparison with other APIs -- then one can say DX12 isn't that good, and other APIs might be a better option.

paulyboy81

Neo Member
Lots of the performance issues on Xbox seem streaming related to be honest. I noticed that elevator ride immediately 5 minutes into the game, performance tanks into the 30's but there's barely anything on screen for the most part, can only assume something is happening in the background to tank the numbers.

MScarpa

I guess at my age it's hard to notice differences. I'm very susceptible to framerate changes though. Besides that, whatever version is cheaper I'll buy.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I am saying day one would be 1.01. The game without day one patch is 1.00. DF show day one patch (1.01) and then show after that.
1.02 shows improvements, the big ass spikes seem to be lessened.
So they did not test with the latest patch?

Playing on Series X and there is clear performance issues of slowdown and low frame animations. I can deal with all that.
But the TV in the safe rooms just show a blank white screen. Where is my cartoon. Darn it all.

mrmustard

Banned
Xbox version is severely buggy and unfinished.

That said, I've been enjoying it on Series X and don't feel too pissed about it because of Game Pass.
What bugs did you have? I'm like 12 hours in now and there was not a single bug. Inlike this trash Shadow Warrior 3.

lucbr

Mark Cerny in his basement:

Smirk Smile GIF by euphoria
I know that Cerny is a great engineer and architect but sometimes I wonder why the Xbox guys don't receive the same praise.

Based on some comparatives both machines are quite similar, sometimes one better than the other. However, Xbox is smaller, quieter and most importantly, according to DF, consumes less power, sometimes much less, when running the same game. For me, the X seems better design and nobody talk about the Xbox architects. I never heard who they are. Is Jason Ronald the main architect?

Mr Moose

I know that Cerny is a great engineer and architect but sometimes I wonder why the Xbox guys don't receive the same praise.

Based on some comparatives both machines are quite similar, sometimes one better than the other. However, Xbox is smaller, quieter and most importantly, according to DF, consumes less power, sometimes much less, when running the same game. For me, the X seems better design and nobody talk about the Xbox architects. I never heard who they are. Is Jason Ronald the main architect?
You missed threads about the bearded wizard then.
Jason-Ronald.jpg

Last edited:
How is the Xbox Series X (and even S) version so bad when, I assume, Microsoft has marketing rights to the game? I mean it's in Game Pass Day 1, so I assume they have some form of marketing rights.

Did they not assist the team with technical development or something?

Because those are generally just nice-to-haves and aren't things most gamers and certainly developers, actually care about.

Also AFAIK both systems consume similar amounts of power running the same games, PS5 maybe a tad more so at points but that was also before the move to 6nm. I think you're conflating the "sometimes much less" part with the power saving settings features, which was somewhat incorrect even at the time the article got written.

Xbox systems do seem to default to a mode at rest where less power is consumed than PS5. But that's down to the platform holders and their preferences.

Last edited:

Flabagast

You are right, but on the other hand they are not praised because they boasted for a full year how they had the most powerful console of all times that would be far ahead its competitor, with gazillion teraflops and RDNA and VRS blablabla and in the end they got piss shit to show for it.

So yes SX is a beautiful piece of hardware in itself, but it managed expectations terribly

Top Bottom