• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart: From Eleonora with Love ☭(*^ ‿ ⁢*)♡

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So, 25+ hours later, I think it's time for me to give my 2 cents. I''ve decided to split my thoughts into parts, each covering one or more specific aspect of the game (visuals, gameplay and gunplay, open world, worldbuilding, exploration, character progression, enemies etc.), cuz there's a lot to talk about here in regards to each one and I think it'll be better this way. Plus, I wanted to offer a different perspective when it comes to this game and more detailed one at that. Anyway, without further ado...

Worldbuilding:

The game takes place in alternative 1955 in Soviet Russia (USSR) after the WWII and right from the start you can clearly tell that Mundfish invested a ton of time in the world and lore of the game, from various posters, ads, lore dumps everywhere from character interactions to various emails and voice recordings. Not only that, but they even have detailed explanation on how each device / robot / tech works, what it is and so on and it's for every tech or device you'll find in the game, literally. Same goes for various robots, transportation systems etc. and everything fits the world perfectly with clear references to various Russian words and stuff of that time. It is honestly the most impressive worldbuilding I've seen in "immersive sim" since.... Arkane's Prey. There's also tons of Soviet and 90s Russia music (both original and modern mixes) in the game to set the mood along with modern stuff like Boris Brejcha. Mundfish even thought about it and explained why there's modern music playing on the radio which is 40-65 years in the future. Can't say much about the story since I haven't finished the game yet, but I like what I've seen so far and the worldbuilding helps immensely to keep my interest as well as relationshop between the main character and Eleonora and the glove as well- which are not as simple as you may think by just playing the first couple of hours - it gets complicated the more you play the game, explore and interact with the world etc.

Visuals and tech:

Easily one of the most impressive UE4 games ever from art and art-design perspective alone. The most obvious comparison is of course BioShock infinite, except the world in Atomic Heart is filled with Soviet Russia style architecture, art and sci-fi designs. The sense of scale is also impressive and far more so than in BioShick infinite. But not everything is perfect. I honestly don't know why that is, cuz clearly Mundfish has very talanted level designers and interior and environment artists, but I can hardly say that the game is visually consistend most of the time and it's not like there's a few bad textures here and there and in a corner somehere, no, each game has this kind of visual imperfections and lack of polish, but it's more than that in Atomic Heart. I hardly believe that these locations were designed and created...:

Y44gKCo.jpg
aDHGJmo.jpg
sLupGKE.jpg

... by the same people who designed and created these:

319t0ff.jpg
PP3tFcy.jpg
IlqW3YX.jpg

Wha...? You're saying it's not fair? Well, how about these then?:

jYgrwLm.jpg
zjdEenP.jpg

So, clearly it's not just terrible lighting, blending with the rest of the world of varions objects, missing shadows or almost complete lack of everything mentioned, it is also clearly visable and unmistakable lack of attention to details and just lazy copy & paste design - there's more houses and rooms that look like that in the game, which also makes me wonder if it was the reason for locking most of the houses and buildings in open world - they just decided not to even copy & past symplistic designs. Anyway, outside of these very noticeable visual and design blemishes, which makes overall visual asthetic of the game suffer a bit cuz of the lack of consistency and polish, the rest of the game looks absolutely fantastic:

BBO9Jf4.jpg
IP1FmG2.jpg
gQUqvWc.jpg
7xhqls4.jpg
0cNoE98.jpg
HzGO1te.jpg
S8vuM1l.jpg
TpACnKu.jpg
REF6uo2.jpg
1wNJ97C.jpg
HeNqopy.jpg
eLAYgp5.jpg
iZEA3GV.jpg
1Zvm8zo.jpg
ywrrn7U.jpg
bZMH56Q.jpg
xDuhvDc.jpg
T6QH9pV.jpg
uT0VyD4.jpg
MQIWlzS.jpg
VwwBXta.jpg
FXq4ohw.jpg
anVCNyE.jpg
vgkVUoT.jpg
A7ZDVb2.jpg
EMa831Z.jpg
50E67sl.jpg
nAgamAF.jpg
3qBN9cl.jpg
rkUSpED.jpg
HqF7EfH.jpg
lrNVYU8.jpg
qhworjM.jpg
bd8y4cX.jpg
8HxMm5U.jpg
8K1IHMe.jpg

It is without a shadow of a doubt one of the most impressive and unique looking games I've ever played from the pure art and art-design standpoint alone. Extremely impressive work and especially for their only and the very first game of this caliber. As I've said already, it's not always perfect, but 95% of time it clearly is. The game has very unique and distinct visual design cuz even though the world of the game is based on sovier russia period, I'd say there's far more uniqe work in this game made from the ground up in terms of desing and art.

Open world, exploration and character progression.

There reason why I decided to talk about these aspects in one sections is because they're connected and tied together. So, the way character progression works in this game is not only tied to you fighting robots, but also to exploration and open world. See, yeah, you can, say, grind resourced by killing robots and such, but the game will only let you upgrade so much while the rest of the progression is tied to world exploration, solving various puzzles etc. in the open world and sort of dungeons you can find and explore. It is realtively easy to find most of the weapon blueprints in the early parts of the game, but considering that there's like at least three upgrade paths for almost every weapon in the game, you won't be able to upgrade everything without finding bluprints for new weapon parts which are located in various underground facilities (research polygons), each of which are uniquely designed and handcrafted and the way you get access to them is also varies.

RAjnYjr.jpg
ZNis7bP.jpg

You'll know where each part is in terms of location in the world, but no one is telling you how exactly you can get to it, so you have to find a way on your own which is great. Now, the way you actually get the parts is pretty straight forward though, you just need to find 3 unique chests and I wish they were well hidden and hard to find, but that's not the big deal though since exploring research polygons, the way you find and unlock them is a reward in itself. Obviously, there's also a ton of lore for you to find as well etc. - but I don't want to spoil everything. How exploration works? Well, you can either travel on foot or drive a car to get to places, the world is relatively big (some parts of the world are unavailable due to story progression, you need to progress the story to be able to explore some more) so car is peferable way to travel since there's no fast travel, thankfully there's always a few of them around each area.

Here's the thing though, the game has gigantic quest marker on the screen which is always showing you where to go, but I'm playing the game from the start with this mod installed and 0 UI on the screen and it makes exploration far more enjoyable and in my opinion, you really don't need any UI in the game at all. Sadly though, map is not great and I think the map could be designed better in terms of visual help, cuz outside of cameras and very few other locations, you can't really tell what the rest of the icons mean. The game tells you what each device is doing, but you can't identify it on the map and at first you don't understand what you can do with them and how exactly. You'll figure it out eventually, but I think at least some visual help won't hurt the game. I sort of get where they're going with all this, but some of it is not explained well or not explained at all, so you might end up wasting time figuring shit out and pacing suffers a little bit cuz of it at first, but it's much less of a problem once you'll figure out.

Combat:

So you've a few options here, either you're using melee weapons or varions ranged weapons from standartd handguns to rail guns and rocket launcher. As I've said before, each weapon has at least 3 upgrade paths, say, huge club with two circular saws can have strictly melee attacks or you can equip a mod which'll launch saws towards enemies completely changing how you're using the weapon, there's of course less drastic changes as well but there's at least plenty of variety in how you want to use weapons with which mods etc. And the most brilliant thing about all this (and character progression as well - see below) is that you can respec at any time at no cost whatsoever and you'll get all your resources back, so the game encourages you to experiment and find a playstyle you'll like to use, but again, first you need to find the blueprints to get access to upgrades. The way you upgrade weapons is by using vending machine Eleonora (I've talked about her in other thread, so I won't be repeating myself here) and various resources you'll find. But the way you actually do that is one of the most cool things about this game - you literally suck them out of various boxes, tables, dead enimies etc. using your glove, so no more context boxes, no more long pick up animations and the need to press and hold buttons for conformations 2-3 times, no, you just walk into a room and suck everything out of it by just holding one button and moving camera around. Fuckin' thank you, Mundfish! The absolute best way to loot stuff in the game ever, period. You can also use various glove abilities, sort of like plasmids in BioShock. There's lightning (effective against robots), freeze (freeze enemies), polimer (sort of like oils which you can ignite with lighting and set enemies on fire, shield (blocks attack etc.) and telekinesis (selfexplanatory, haven't used it yet though). Unlockable skills and passive character upgrades also have noticable effects during gameplay.

I wish I can say there's also environmental interaction which you can use in combat but.... it's not in the game? Idk, at one point there's water on the floor and when I shot a lightning at enemies they got electrocuted, but only when I directly attacked them and not shot the lighting at the water. So, unlike Bioshock, you can ignite the oil to set groups of enemies on fire or electrocute a lot of them if they're standing on the water. Also, the lighting looks visually weak and lack visual impact, which I think is very easy to fix by just making the effect more visually pronounced at the very least. Moreover, Idk why but lighting is not so great at stunning enemies and I think it should work more like an upgrade you get for electric pistol which has AOE attack that stuns all robotic enemies around you, but instead of AOE attack, visually it should look like a chain of lighting that keeps enemies in places and damages them as well. Overall, I think combat is great and there's more than enough variety for you to experiment on how you want it to work.

What is not great though is....

Enemies:

But hear me out on this one. It's complicated. So, what's not in the game is the lack of enemy variety, but it's just... the actual enemies (or at the very least most of them) are not so great to fight with at all. The very first enemy you'll encounter in the game are Vovchiks, they're probably the most boring enemies in the entire games cuz they're stupid af and just running at you and trying to beat you with stupid melee attacks. I mean, FFS, Mundfish, could you instead let them crawl on walls, attack from sealings, transform hands into blades, handcannons etc. to make it more difficult and interesting to fight them? Nah, we'll just make them run at you and use very basic attacks. Now, sure, later on they'll get shileds and energy-based attacks, but tbh they're just no that interesting or different from black Vovchik using laser and again, they're mustly just run at you 90% of the time. There's also various flying enemies, be it robots or organic flowers - which are actually pretty cool as they act like headcrabs from Half-Life or enemies from Dead Space that turning corpses into necromorphs. Sure, infected corpses also running at you and mostly using melee attacks, but at least there's far more to them in combination to flying enemies and they're far more easy to kill (unless it's a big one with the hive on its back). There one enemie in particular which is even worse that Vovchiks cuz they're almost immune to gunfire and can only be killed using melee weapons and it's so boring, like, it has a shit ton of HP and has the same boring attack patterns as Vovchiks, even though they're visually different. I mean, ugh.... I wish there were far smarter human enemies in the game as well like in F.E.A.R. for example to add more variety and change things around. There's various robots as well with unique attacks and stuff which are more enjoyable to fight with, but you're spending far more time with the most boring enemies in the game. There's not enough visual and soud feedback and impact when it comes to some enemies as well, but despite all that though, it's very satisfiying when you do everything right, freeze a group of enemies in place, use a bunch of powers and weapons in combination, but it's not like there's enough apportinities to do that. It's much more interesting than any BioShock game though with their toy-like, stiff and wooden gunplay, which never was the best part of any Shock game in the past anyway. Can't say I liked bosses I've fought so far too. The first one was okay, but main character is just way too slow and you just can't circle strafe cuz you can't run sideways which defeats the purpose of the big arenas in the game - dash also doesn't help here and you can't time it so say slow time. All in all, the combat is 50/50 for me so far, I like it, but at the same time I don't cuz of the reasons above.

The conclusion (sort of):

Honestly, despide all the issues and imperfections, it is the best game made in Russia (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro series were made in Ukraine) since... Cryostasis? I mean, I've played a lot of very ambicious Russian junk over the years like Xenus, Parkan etc. which were way too ambicious for that time and for the teams that made them, they were also tried to do everything (open world, driving cars, fly helocopters, use boats etc.), hense weren't very good in even a single aspect.

Atomic Heart is the first game in years and years from a Russian dev team, that actually and finally made a great game and for the most part succeeded at everything they've tried to do and achieve. Sure and again, it's not perfect, there's plenty of rough edges, but considering it's their first game and it's that good in comparison to what was before and of this quality... I think we have one more and extremely talented team to follow here, cuz if their first game is so good and so well crafted overall, what's going to be next? I can't wait to find out.

Oh and, I would argue that Atomic Heart is way more polished, way better crafted and much less junky than original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy and the first two Metro games, not to mention that it's far more ambicious game as well with more variety in gameplay and gunplay overall (stealth is shit though, that's why I haven't mentioned it - there's just nothing more to say about it). That's just my opinion though, nothing more, nothing less:messenger_peace::messenger_relieved:

P.S. I'll fix typos later if I there's any left:messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Alebrije

The game is fresh , it seems with more time and money the developer could deliver something more consistent. Playing it was like going on a rollecoaster..from grear moments to trash on just seconds.

Hope they can deliver a 2 game more polished because for me its better than Bioshock Infinite...

The art style is great, some bossed fights are epic other meh, but in general a decent game.

I enjoyed more the Polygons than the main story , its where the game shines, their puzzles where great..

Last edited:

Sacred

I'm not quite finished yet, but this game is such a breath of fresh air. Hard to believe this is their first game ever because everything is so polished. I am in love with the gameplay loop, combat has so much weight and variety. I love I can refund all points and disassemble all weapons except the shotgun of course and try something completely new. The story is so weird and trippy as well, one of the best FPS games I have played since Bioshock, no joke.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The game is fresh , it seems with more time and money the developer could deliver something more consistent. Playing it was like going on a rollecoaster..from grear moments to trash on just seconds.

Hope they can deliver a 2 game more polished because for me its better than Bioshock Infinite...

The art style is great, some bossed fights are epic other meh, but in general a decent game.
I think they'll be supporting the game for at least a couple of years since there's 4 story DLCs still on the way and the first one is not even out yet. It's is possible to fix some of the problems I've mentioned with patches cuz they're easily fixable, plus they can just as easy implement QOL features, add Photo Mode, NG+ etc. Right now and to get the best experience, you need to install these two mods - 1) https://www.nexusmods.com/atomicheart/mods/22 2) https://www.nexusmods.com/atomicheart/mods/1

I haven't seen everything in the game story and locations-wise yet, but I think they've cool ideas in the game already which can be turned into really cool story DLC locations (if they're not in the game already, Idk). like the underwater complex you can see on one of the screens above. I can only hope that it won't be separate campaigns like in BioShock Infinite (what a terrible idea) and they will add these new locations to an already existing map and will just expand it futhrer like Guerrilla did with Horizon: Zero Dawn for example, or like how Eidos implemented Human Revolution's story DLC into the game in DC version of the game.

Sequel (or at the very least they'll be making more games) is for sure in the cards given the game's success on game pass alone and that's not even counting physical or digital sales. I don't think that game's rating is even close to what it deserves, but there's also huge language and cultural barrier to consider as well.

I enjoyed more the Polygons than the main story , its where the game shines, their puzzles where great..
Can't say that's the case for me as well, but Polygons are great, yeah, I liked every single one I've completed so far and it's a very cool and nice distraction from the rest of the game. What's cool as well is that they're also adding puzzle elements to the main story locations as well so it's not always just run and shoot everything that moves.

Agent_4Seven Agent_4Seven cross compare your work with the exact opposite take by Drizzlehell Drizzlehell , The biggest disappointment of the year.

Im interested in both your visions.
There's nothing to compare really. Me and Drizzlehell Drizzlehell already talked in his thread about his take on the game and came to an understanding, that cultural and language barrier is a thing and that some of his critisism in regards to Atomic Heart is affected by it.

As for everything else, I've decided to just give different perspective for people here instead of arguing with Drizzlehell Drizzlehell . I mean, what's the point in the opposite? Everyone can like what they like and don't like what they don't like, be it games of anything else. As long as we respect each others opinions and act like normal and adequate people... there's no reason to argue unless you need to clarify something cuz of the language and cultural barrier issues:messenger_relieved:

EDIT: Its interesting though that so far Drizzles takw generated a lot more commentary, my contributions excluded when arguably this OP is more of a thesis than his.
People react to negative far more than to the positive when it comes to opinions. The purpose of my thread was not to generate a ton of commentary, but rather provide a different perspective on the game. Plus, a lot of perole already voiced their opinions in Drizzlehell Drizzlehell 's thread :)

I think I'll use this thread in the future to talk about story DLC / Expansions as well.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
It was interesting to read, thanks for posting. Funny because I actually remember noticing a lot of the things that you mentioned but at the time they didn't strike me as notable enough because the game's flaws were far too impactful and I wasn't able to completely immerse myself in the experience. There was always some annoyance that took me out of it, like the combat, the odd bit of dialogue, or the lack of consistency... And I think that the latter extends beyond mere graphics quality that differs between locations. It's definitely a part of the problem but I also think that there are a lot of odd design choices in the game that felt very inconsistent, and they were just sort of thrown in there because it looked cool, but then it wasn't properly expanded upon or didn't mesh with the rest of the game. Like that puzzle when you have to push a ball through a bunch of tubes to cool down some power generators. That was a pretty cool puzzle but it's one of those ideas that was implemented just for that one part of the game and we've never seen that mechanic used in such a clever, creative way ever again, at least not in the main campaign.

But anyway, after thinking about it some more, I've concluded that the biggest disappointment about the game for me stems from the lackluster story and characters. Had they nailed that part of the game then I would probably turn a blind eye to any mechanical or design flaws that the game may have. It's the reason why Bioshock is such a beloved series to this day, despite the fact that gameplay in those games also has its fair share of issues. But the story in Atomic Heart is just not very good IMO. It's very predictable, it doesn't really dive into the most interesting parts of the lore (like with the polymer substance, I thought it was super cool that you could hear echoing voices of other people and creatures while swimming around in it but I can't even remember if the game ever touched upon that bit of lore, I wanted to know what's up with that), and the execution of it is also rather poor, such as with those badly directed cutscenes that I mentioned in the OP. There are some cool moments here and there when it comes to game's cinematics, most of which involve those sexy robot twins, but when it comes to characters and dialogue it's that one element that still feels very eurojank.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It was interesting to read, thanks for posting. Funny because I actually remember noticing a lot of the things that you mentioned but at the time they didn't strike me as notable enough because the game's flaws were far too impactful and I wasn't able to completely immerse myself in the experience. There was always some annoyance that took me out of it, like the combat, the odd bit of dialogue, or the lack of consistency... And I think that the latter extends beyond mere graphics quality that differs between locations. It's definitely a part of the problem but I also think that there are a lot of odd design choices in the game that felt very inconsistent, and they were just sort of thrown in there because it looked cool, but then it wasn't properly expanded upon or didn't mesh with the rest of the game.
Duuuuuuude, WTF was that all about?
OIPJG2k.jpg
qgKDUD0.jpg
ENpANfE.jpg
gNtIVV9.jpg
13pYI9O.jpg
o0Dg3u5.jpg
You're like in some white cat costume, running around, jumping on beds, collecting apples while everything else is in slomo. It looks cool for sure but again, for what purpose or reason? Just.... Why? I mean, my god, how does it even fit into the game and what's going on in it? What were they smokin'?:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Like that puzzle when you have to push a ball through a bunch of tubes to cool down some power generators. That was a pretty cool puzzle but it's one of those ideas that was implemented just for that one part of the game and we've never seen that mechanic used in such a clever, creative way ever again, at least not in the main campaign.
There's at least one more example where they've used this pizzle mechanic in the game, maybe there's more, Idk yet. But to even see it you need to figure out a way to get to it, which is not so obvious. Other puzzles can be seen throughout the open world as well as in other polygons and story locations, I think there's nice variety of puzzles and they always trying to mix things up to keep them fresh.

But anyway, after thinking about it some more, I've concluded that the biggest disappointment about the game for me stems from the lackluster story and characters. Had they nailed that part of the game then I would probably turn a blind eye to any mechanical or design flaws that the game may have. It's the reason why Bioshock is such a beloved series to this day, despite the fact that gameplay in those games also has its fair share of issues. But the story in Atomic Heart is just not very good IMO. It's very predictable, it doesn't really dive into the most interesting parts of the lore (like with the polymer substance, I thought it was super cool that you could hear echoing voices of other people and creatures while swimming around in it but I can't even remember if the game ever touched upon that bit of lore, I wanted to know what's up with that), and the execution of it is also rather poor, such as with those badly directed cutscenes that I mentioned in the OP. There are some cool moments here and there when it comes to game's cinematics, most of which involve those sexy robot twins, but when it comes to characters and dialogue it's that one element that still feels very eurojank.
For me it's the opposite. Like, I have more issues with gameplay, combat and some of the design aspects and decision, than I do with the story, dialogues and characters, but that's probably cuz language and cultural barrier is not a thing in my case. I mean, it's totaly fine if you don't like the story and charcters, it sure as hell not for everyone even language and cultural barrier aside and there's deffinitely plenty of way they can improve all this in the future :)

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Duuuuuuude, WTF was that all about?
OIPJG2k.jpg
qgKDUD0.jpg
ENpANfE.jpg
gNtIVV9.jpg
13pYI9O.jpg
o0Dg3u5.jpg
You're like in some white cat costume, running around, jumping on beds, collecting apples while everything else is in slomo. It looks cool for sure but again, for what purpose or reason? Just.... Why? I mean, my god, how does it even fit into the game and what's going on in it? What were they smokin'?:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yeeeeah, that's one of those really odd additions. I mean, it looked cool as fuck but like you say, it feels so random, lol. I'm guessing that it's just some abstract mind palace that P-3 goes to whenever he blacks out Manchurian Candidate-style, but the visuals in those hallucinatory sections seem very specific, like they supposed to be symbolizing something about the character or his past, but as far as I know it's barely explained at all.

There's at least one more example where they've used this pizzle mechanic in the game, maybe there's more, Idk yet. But to even see it you need to figure out a way to get to it, which is not so obvious. Other puzzles can be seen throughout the open world as well as in other polygons and story locations, I think there's nice variety of puzzles and they always trying to mix things up to keep them fresh.
Yeah, I figured there must be some more puzzles throughout the game that are out of the way in those bonus locations. I guess I just wish there were more puzzles that used this mechanic in the main missions. The only other puzzle that stood out to me was with those magnets that you could zap to reverse their polarity.

It's a bit of a running theme throughout the game, tbh. They introduce all those different mechanics only to use them in the main campaign only once, and then relegating them to side content instead of further incorporating and remixing them as additional puzzles throughout main missions. For example, I also remember monitoring towers that you can use to peep through cameras and unlock certain doors, and that mechanic was only used once in the first mission, and then it wasn't used again, not unless you went out of your way to explore one of those optional bunkers.

I agree that there's at least a wide variety of those puzzles, though. Most of the locations where the main missions take place usually introduce at least one new thing, which is nice.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yeeeeah, that's one of those really odd additions. I mean, it looked cool as fuck but like you say, it feels so random, lol. I'm guessing that it's just some abstract mind palace that P-3 goes to whenever he blacks out Manchurian Candidate-style, but the visuals in those hallucinatory sections seem very specific, like they supposed to be symbolizing something about the character or his past, but as far as I know it's barely explained at all.
I also thought about it, but so far I can't say that they do. There's still things to find out about P-3, will continue playing the game.

Yeah, I figured there must be some more puzzles throughout the game that are out of the way in those bonus locations. I guess I just wish there were more puzzles that used this mechanic in the main missions. The only other puzzle that stood out to me was with those magnets that you could zap to reverse their polarity.
Really cool mechanic, I wish you could use it more and in combat as well. I mean, just imagine combat scenarios like in the very first Prey game with enemies at different parts of the levels on сeilings and such and with different perspective, that could've been super cool. Idk man, it doesn't look like they could't have done it, more like they just didn't had enough budget and time cuz all of the things are in the game already to do it.

It's a bit of a running theme throughout the game, tbh. They introduce all those different mechanics only to use them in the main campaign only once, and then relegating them to side content instead of further incorporating and remixing them as additional puzzles throughout main missions. For example, I also remember monitoring towers that you can use to peep through cameras and unlock certain doors, and that mechanic was only used once in the first mission, and then it wasn't used again, not unless you went out of your way to explore one of those optional bunkers. I agree that there's at least a wide variety of those puzzles, though. Most of the locations where the main missions take place usually introduce at least one new thing, which is nice.
Well, they've said that they'll be improving the game now as well as making story expansions considering all of the criticism so far. I can't wait to see what they'll do.

You know, part of me thinks that they just didn't want to repeat themselves, but at the same time you see all those copy & paste bad interiors sometimes with zero effort put into them and wonder... maybe there's something else going on here? I wish they were interviewed by some outliet to understand why the game is the way it is now etc. Maybe at some point in the future, who knows. I also don't have a physical artbook yet to dive into development of the game a little bit more to maybe understand some things and design decisions.

Last edited:

hlm666

I only got around to finishing this last night, I enjoyed it for the most part. 2 changes I would like to see is skippable cutscenes, I don't plan on a 2nd playthrough solely becaus of this. Secondly ammo and the inventory system sucked, they should have just had a global ammo count that didn't have physical items to store. This didn't matter much though because I went through the game nearly all melee anyway, and once I got the club with the hold alt fire to win upgrade I only used the ak47 to regen energy on boss fights.

Be cool if one day we got the vr mode they cut out though.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Secondly ammo and the inventory system sucked, they should have just had a global ammo count that didn't have physical items to store. This didn't matter much though because I went through the game nearly all melee anyway, and once I got the club with the hold alt fire to win upgrade I only used the ak47 to regen energy on boss fights.
I mean, at no point in the game so far they were a problem for me. Ammo is always plentiful and all extra stuff you'll find is placed in the virtual box for you in case you're run out of anything, all you have to do next is to get to the vending machine and pick them up by just playing the game naturally. Plus, you can dismantle stuff to get resources and you don't even need to do that much if you don't want to. So inventory managment is for sure not a problem in the game.

Sure, you can't carry all guns with you at all times but 1) It is pointless to just craft them all 2) You won't have the resources to upgrade even the first paths available after crafting for a long time and depending of your upgrade choices 3) I don't see a problem in just switching things around and put something into a box, take and use something else for a time. But anyway, I'm sure it's not just you who don't like small inventory, so it'll be pretty easy to fix via patch and add more inventory slots and expanded upgrade tree or... you can just use a mod for now if you're playing PC version- https://www.nexusmods.com/atomicheart/mods/2 :)

Be cool if one day we got the vr mode they cut out though.
They cut some weapons from the game too which were still available in the dev build and way before it was leaked - watch some old trailers. There's pretty high chance that we'll get more weapons (incl. the ones that were cut) later via patch or in all story DLC / Expasions.

Last edited:

hlm666

I mean, at no point in the game so far they were a problem for me. Ammo is always plentiful and all extra stuff you'll find is placed in the virtual box for you in case you're run out of anything, all you have to do next is to get to the vending machine and pick them up by just playing the game naturally. Plus, you can dismantle stuff to get resources and you don't even need to do that much if you don't want to. So inventory managment is for sure not a problem in the game.
It didn't cause me any difficulty, I always had ammo when I needed. I just found it busy work for no real benefit sorting junk out of my inv and into the box and I honestly could ignore it for the most part. I just don't think it bought anything to gameplay. I'm fine with not being able to carry all the weapons at once though that kind of thing can make you think about what your fighting and what loadout to bring.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I just don't think it bought anything to gameplay.
It sure didn't, that's for sure. They could've just scrapped character inventory, but left vending machine storage for you to get supplies later in case you needed them.

I'm fine with not being able to carry all the weapons at once though that kind of thing can make you think about what your fighting and what loadout to bring.
Also true. We'll see if they'll improve the game on that front as well.

That's really low bar to pass.
You haven't played a lot of Russian junk and ambicious FPS games in the past to understand how big of an improvement this game is in comparison. Maybe it's not a huge improvement over western stuff, but for the Russian game dev it's a god tear level and it's their first game ever.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
You haven't played a lot of Russian junk and ambicious FPS games in the past to understand how big of an improvement this game is in comparison. Maybe it's not a huge improvement over western stuff, but for the Russian game dev it's a god tear level and it's their first game ever.
More than you think. I still think that saying it's best world building in immersive sim since last not indie immersive sim released is like saying that Forza Horizon 5 is best forza game since Forza Horizon 4.

That's about as many words as they speak every 5 minutes in the game. they never shut up
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahah

ahahahahahahahahahahaha its funny cause its true. I beat it and thought it was an 'alright' game, but this was completely true. I thought Forspoken and Horizon were bad about this but my wife literally asked me over 10x "Who area you in there talking to?" And when I told her it was the game she kept saying "And it never shuts up" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
More than you think. I still think that saying it's best world building in immersive sim since last not indie immersive sim released is like saying that Forza Horizon 5 is best forza game since Forza Horizon 4.
I think you just pick on words for no good reason whatsoever. And FH5 is not better than 4.

Last edited:

JCK75

Some day I will find the stength to go back in and try it again..
I made it about an hour before I got so annoyed I could not keep moving forward.

Top Bottom