• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart is 2023's most popular Xbox launch so far, first week data suggests

JaksGhost

Thread was going so well, why did you have to come to ask for proofs and show actual data for Elden Ring? ....
But some of the data is either wrong or not being truthful by not including source links. The 2nd stat they are using is from Elden Ring's first week split in the UK. It's not including stats from all markets.

According to GSD's digital and physical numbers, 32% of sales were on PlayStation 5, 30% on PC, 29% on Xbox and 9% on PS4.

The site they're referencing:

At 41%, most of the total Elden Ring sales were for the PS4 and PS5.​

(Source: GSD)

• 29% of the total Elden Ring sales were for PC.
  • 30% of the total Elden Rings sales were for the Xbox.

The site is trying to paint it as if that 30% split is over the lifetime but it's actually just the first week in the UK. Subsequent weeks saw the Xbox split shrink.

Last edited:
Wow so… Hogwarts Legacy fucking bombed on Xbox?
I can imagine it did. My Xbox is only used for gamepass games rarely. I refuse to buy games for since 99% of the games I have are either on pc/ps/Nintendo. Then again, I only bought the Xbox for the gamepass. Seeing sales numbers and divisions it looks like almost anyone who buys an Xbox buys it just for gamepass

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Instead of regurgitating ancient news, why not post a more recent, and more accurate one?

Because it dispels Phil Spencer's bullshit, no doubt, and you can't have that.
Why not quote what was actually written instead of an article that avoids stating what was actually written?

"Microsoft also submitted that its internal analysis shows a [redacted]% decline in base game sales twelve months following their addition on Game Pass."

It's a day one release, how can you measure a decline in sales after being put on gamepass if it sold 0 before it was put on gamepass? And what games doesn't show a decline in sales 12 months after launch? GTA5 and?
The CMA quote was obviously talking about catalog sales of games that had reached a steady state.

simpatico

Gold Member
I hope devs start milking this ShockOut genre. I would love to get burnt out on a wave of simple RPG lite SP shooters with interesting art concepts.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So I’m just trying to understand something here. Boxed sales don’t mean much. This site is good for Atomic Bomba data because numbers big but not for Hogwarts because numbers small.

Just trying to keep up with you.

I know you're just being obtuse now for the sake of it, but what the heck ...

- That site posted an article based on the traffic it gets with its own registered users. Atomic Heart is on game pass, naturally more people will be playing it on a trophy tracking website via game pass.
- Hogwarts is consistently in the top 5~ top paid Xbox games since launch, both regular and deluxe editions are in that range as separate entities, which tells you that it's selling pretty good.
- Boxed sales for one specific country where Xbox sales are predominantly digital, which is a fact acknowledged by GI.Biz themselves. How predominantly ? Up to 85% of game sales for Xbox versions of big games in UK are digital. So, yes, just the boxed sale only figure is nothing but fanboy fodder.

To echo my first line, you probably know all this already but are just being coy/cheeky/obtuse, insert your favorite adjective here.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The data is just from that one specific website about its own user base, passing sweeping judgments based on it is useless, yes.
This is actually pretty good sample size as far as that goes in estimates. They have what, 1 mil members?

That's statistically significant.

adamsapple

This is actually pretty good sample size as far as that goes in estimates. They have what, 1 mil members?

That's statistically significant.

Oh I bet it's great data to determine that a shit ton of people are likely playing the game via game pass. It just isn't good data for people to try and say that Hogwarts bombed. That's the inaccurate part.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Oh I bet it's great data to determine that a shit ton of people are likely playing the game via game pass. It just isn't good data for people to try and say that Hogwarts bombed. That's the inaccurate part.
We really don't know but it's probable that it didn't do that well overall on the platform. We will know more at some point hopefully.

I mean what games sell in great quantities on Xbox now days? I can absolutely see Hogwarts not doing as great as it does everywhere else since folks have free (well, not free, but same idea) games to play.

adamsapple

We really don't know but it's probable that it didn't do that well overall on the platform. We will know more at some point hopefully.

I mean what games sell in great quantities on Xbox now days? I can absolutely see Hogwarts not doing as great as it does everywhere else since folks have free (well, not free, but same idea) games to play.

I think the second line is a bit of an overstatement. The US doesn't usually report sales by platform, but UK and Japan mostly do so we have those to refer to. Now we all know Xbox games ain't topping charts in Japan. But using examples like Elden Ring, Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga etc, games which sold the highest in the UK/EU last year, we know the platform splits when both digital + physical are included.

Elden Ring is approx 40% to 29% between PS and Xbox.
Lego SW is approx 39% to 34% between PS and Xbox.

Is that ? 1 : 1 ? no. But it's also not anywhere close to the 85 : 15 physical only splits that get used as ammo either.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I think the second line is a bit of an overstatement. The US doesn't usually report sales by platform, but UK and Japan mostly do so we have those to refer to. Now we all know Xbox games ain't topping charts in Japan. But using examples like Elden Ring, Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga etc, games which sold the highest in the UK last year, we know the platform splits when both digital + physical are included.

Elden Ring is approx 40% to 29% between PS and Xbox.
Lego SW is approx 39% to 34% between PS and Xbox.

Is that ? 1 : 1 ? no. But it's also not anywhere close to the 85 : 15 physical only splits that get used as ammo either.
These are certainly interesting number but then the question comes if there were major changes in the year since Elden Rings release from sales breakdown side.

Wonder if WB will release numbers by platform at some point.

pasterpl

These are certainly interesting number but then the question comes if there were major changes in the year since Elden Rings release from sales breakdown side.

Wonder if WB will release numbers by platform at some point.

Probably series x supply issues and sales of series s

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think the vast majority of people who buy Gamepass feel they have "enough" games and wont buy games like Hogwarts but will still buy the COD, Fifa and stuff

Just my opinion here obviously
I agree.

And to be honest, that's how it is supposed to be. If people already have access to 100-200 unplayed games, they are less likely to consistently buy $60 or $70 new games on day one.

Which sounds great from a consumer POV, but it does not sound great from a developer/publisher POV if their games aren't selling that well.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Amazing to watch in real time how people have jumped to the illogical conclusion that HL isn’t selling well on Xbox.
This corroborates with other (albeit limited) data we've received so far regarding HL's sales on Xbox.

If you have other sales data for Hogwart's Legacy on Xbox that suggests otherwise, please share.

anothertech

What you are saying is correct 100%.

The problem is the title says

Atomic Heart is 2023's most popular Xbox launch so far, first week data suggests​

And the op is using this 1M data set as a sample size for statistics.

All this to say, this data is meaningless and when compared to Hogwarts actual sales it will be dwarfed incomparibly.

I agree with you on the Hogwarts part, but the above is why there is so much confusion. In that sense, this data is meaningless.

Good news for atomic heart, great game. But the title is entirely misleading.

belmarduk

I would've thought Hogwarts Legacy had the biggest launch week of the year on any platform, I'm surprised to be honest.

Sony paid for most of the advertising for Hogwarts Legacy and they got an exclusive quest.. so I'm pretty sure more people got it for that platform. It will be interesting to see this month's NPD.

Bridges

Like why can't I have a sprint button?
This is frustrating in the beginning, but like other parts of the game it gets better later as you get upgrades. There are glove upgrades that increase walk speed and it's not really an issue at that point.

Why is everything so got damn bright?
Some areas are really bright but some are extremely dark. I've rarely had any issues with it but this might vary by platform (I'm on XSX)

How do they expect me to handle this many enemies this early in the game (telelkinesis is your friend, i found out)?
The opening hours are brutal whenever you get into combat encounters, but it only makes it that much more rewarding when you upgrade enough to make the encounters easy. I recommend prioritizing maxing out Shok and your health. If you're in the open world segments, don't be afraid to just run away from enemies. They'll overwhelm you until you're powered up enough.

Why do you give me laser protection to go through laser barriers and when I come to another laser barrier, I can't simply walk through it and take the damage?
Yeah this is kinda weird, they really only make you do the laser thing once and then never again (at least as far as I am ~20hrs in).

Why is there no description of the items in my inventory screen...like I gotta go to a whole other part of the menu to see what something does?
Yeah this is kinda bad design, not sure what they were thinking there.

Why does my character have full on philosophical conversations with his hand while fighting hordes of enemies...I can't pay attention to this shit.
Everyone talks too much in this game. At the beginning it was kind of annoying but I've gotten used to it. The story so far has been fairly predictable so I wouldn't put too much concern in missing conversations here and there.

You implement stealth mechanics in the game that are unusable because the crouch walking speed is too slow? Srsly?
Yeah this sucks. I rarely use stealth because of how damn slow you are crouching. Sometimes you can get lucky and still pull of stealth kills when running up on someone, but usually they'll turn around first. In the opening hours this can really save you though, especially in the open world where you are constantly swarmed with enemies.

Can I breathe while swimming in the polymer? And is someone gonna explain why I can hear voices while I'm swimming in it? Is that weed in the polymer? Am I high?
I think you can breathe, I've never seen any warning/indication about needing to come up for air or losing health. The Polymer is used for the hivemind Kollective network that's pretty core to the plot, so I kinda figured that the Polymer water just has little bits of other people's memories floating around in there, but they haven't outright explained it from where I'm at. Or maybe it is weed and we're high, idk.

How come if I'm driving in a car that's on fire, it kills me before my health runs out? I mean did it explode and I just missed the show?
Yeah it exploded, but sometimes the game over screen will pull up before thale actual explosion animation. Generally it's a good idea to just ditch the car if it's on fire, you'll only have a few seconds before it kills you at that point.

Are the employees mentioned in the computers just pictures of the developers mixed in with some random Russian looking dudes and some cats?
Not sure on this but one of the pictures I saw looked more like an in-game NPC than a real person like the rest of them were and I wasn't sure if that was intentional or if I'm losing my mind. I stopped reading the computers after that.

Not sure why I felt compelled to respond to all of this but here I am.

adamsapple

What you are saying is correct 100%.

The problem is the title says

Atomic Heart is 2023's most popular Xbox launch so far, first week data suggests​

And the op is using this 1M data set as a sample size for statistics.

All this to say, this data is meaningless and when compared to Hogwarts actual sales it will be dwarfed incomparibly.

I agree with you on the Hogwarts part, but the above is why there is so much confusion. In that sense, this data is meaningless.

Good news for atomic heart, great game. But the title is entirely misleading.

I agree, there should be a "True Achievements Stats: " or something thereabout in the topic title.

j.k.2021

Banned
Atomic Heart splits in the UK (boxed sales)

PS5 87% , Xbox: 13%

Stop using boxed sales.Xbox is a highly digital platform.

Ozriel

M$FT
This corroborates with other (albeit limited) data we've received so far regarding HL's sales on Xbox.

If you have other sales data for Hogwart's Legacy on Xbox that suggests otherwise, please share.

You have data showing that HL didn’t sell well on Xbox? Share it.

Someone earlier provided data to show that HL remains one of the best selling games on Xbox store. And HL is the 2nd most played paid game on Xbox, only behind COD. Overall, only behind COD and F2P monsters like Apex Legends and Fortnite

TlHtrp2.jpg

I think the vast majority of people who buy Gamepass feel they have "enough" games and wont buy games like Hogwarts but will still buy the COD, Fifa and stuff

But Hogwarts Legacy is occupying the same tier as FIFA/COD. Basically an AAA experience with huge mass market appeal.

I find it a bad game. I got out of the underground and it got even worse.
Mess of mechanics, strange combat choices, upgrade and loot everything... it's just janky. They threw every idea at this game. The worst one is constant talking. all the time
And no HDR....

You were already down on the game before playing it, thanks to Forspoken.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You have data showing that HL didn’t sell well on Xbox? Share it.

Someone earlier provided data to show that HL remains one of the best selling games on Xbox store. And HL is the 2nd most played paid game on Xbox, only behind COD. Overall, only behind COD and F2P monsters like Apex Legends and Fortnite

TlHtrp2.jpg

But Hogwarts Legacy is occupying the same tier as FIFA/COD. Basically an AAA experience with huge mass market appeal.

You were already down on the game before playing it, thanks to Forspoken.
not really.
I've tried it again two days ago and made it to the surface... it's really a terribly designed, just annoying game.
I just think forspoken is better. At least compared to first 4-5 hours of atomic crap.

anthony2690

Banned
I would've thought Hogwarts Legacy had the biggest launch week of the year on any platform, I'm surprised to be honest.

Hogwarts is the 3rd most played game on Xbox currently.
Atomic Heart is currently sitting at 12th.
I think just the one million sample size on TA are playing a lot of atomic heart, so it's a bit misleading in the grand scheme off things.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I know you're just being obtuse now for the sake of it, but what the heck ...

- That site posted an article based on the traffic it gets with its own registered users. Atomic Heart is on game pass, naturally more people will be playing it on a trophy tracking website via game pass.
- Hogwarts is consistently in the top 5~ top paid Xbox games since launch, both regular and deluxe editions are in that range as separate entities, which tells you that it's selling pretty good.
- Boxed sales for one specific country where Xbox sales are predominantly digital, which is a fact acknowledged by GI.Biz themselves. How predominantly ? Up to 85% of game sales for Xbox versions of big games in UK are digital. So, yes, just the boxed sale only figure is nothing but fanboy fodder.

To echo my first line, you probably know all this already but are just being coy/cheeky/obtuse, insert your favorite adjective here.

Fucking savage!

You brought the receipts.

Last edited:
But this also indicates another important trend.

Games, that are on Game Pass, sell less. MS has confirmed this. But this indicates that because of Game Pass (Atomic Heart), games that are not on Game Pass (Hogwart's Legacy) may also sell less.

Hogwart's Legacy is one of the biggest games of 2023. It's even bigger than Elden Ring was in 2022 (!). If that game (based on a world-renowed IP) is not selling on Xbox, what game would?
It’s because it’s heavily associated with PlayStation, and those consoles are now available.

The ratio of physical and digital total sales on PlayStation versus Xbox is pretty alarming to be honest. In a market where getting people into the ecosystem really matters now, things look like they are tipping more and more into PlayStation’s favour.

I’m not surprised this is doing well for Xbox. PlayStation is coming off the back of some strong releases where there has been a lull in general for Xbox. Anything launching into GamePass will do good numbers but the actual sales are what will ultimately be interesting.

Overall, the game will probably make more money on PlayStation, even taking into account how much Microsoft put up for the GamePass launch.

Emedan

GamePass for me is filler in between titles I actually want to play which seldom get to Gamepass

yamaci17

game is fantastic, each to their own.
this game has less filler content and more authentic content than Hogwarts Legacy. legit. I had more fun with his game than h legacy. I can safely say main plot and story is more interesting than hog legacy. hog legacy main story is a botched throwaway.

hog legacy is a great game and owes that to hogsmeade+hogwarts+world they created but game stopped being fun after 125215th troll encounter and repetetive combat + filler boring quests. its practically became a chore to play whereas I played atomic heart with more passion and it never felt like I was playing a chore

obviously being a semi fake open world helped atomic heart. its not even an actual open world game

i dont say what hog legacy did is wrong, it just is not as fun as some authentic content provided in atomic.

Top Bottom