• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart | Review Thread

Hurahn7

Banned
I'm talking about the studio being run by some tossers who are all buddy-buddy with the Russian government back in their homeland while, at the same time, blowing smoke up everyone's ass about their stance on Ukraine invasion.

Also, what is this shit about data collection for "conscription purposes"? Yeah, that doesn't sound very reassuring, lol.

And yeah, I get it, most people don't care and just want to shoot some robots. But I'm just saying... look it
It's a videogame company. Let these people make their damn game.

Flabagast

Do you guys really think this? I dont. It looks great mostly because of super solid art design. The graphics don't look that insane in terms being a crazy next gen showcase. Everything is just eye catching and designed artistically. Comes off looking great but not that impossible.
I’m in yeah its a package, but right out of the gate it looks really super detailed and with a ton of animation everywhere. + some elements like the non RT reflections are much much better than standard SSR techniques used by big AAA studios.

Artistic Direction is insane I think, like you-only-get-that-once a year insane. I bet there are a ton of western studios that wished they’d be able to be this zany about what they were allowed to do with visuals.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I've decided to Day 1 this shit. It's a little buggy from what I have seen, but it might be alright to play. My Steam friends have said, in so many words, that it is fun, if sometimes frustrating. (Melee Combat) I got this and Metal Gear Rising Revengeance as a pair, that shit was only a little over 7 bucks on Steam!

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm talking about the studio being run by some tossers who are all buddy-buddy with the Russian government back in their homeland while, at the same time, blowing smoke up everyone's ass about their stance on Ukraine invasion.

Also, what is this shit about data collection for "conscription purposes"? Yeah, that doesn't sound very reassuring, lol.

And yeah, I get it, most people don't care and just want to shoot some robots. But I'm just saying... look it up.

Russians cannot speak out negatively against the war even if they wanted to, they could get thrown in jail and the same for their family/friends.

Stop blowing smoke up people's asses about developers who have nothing to do with the war in Ukraine.

ProtoByte

Indies are just modernized retro style games and I don't buy a consoles for that. They're great, but it's not what people mostly play.
It is always fun to watch indie cultists and anti-AAA guys pretend like their tastes are any more sophisticated, or that the indie scene is exploring new and uncharted frontiers when the reality is that it's a bunch of farming sims, adventure games and 2D platformers trying to recapture the essence of decades old IP that were AAA at the time.

In the case of this game, we've got people taking offense to the score as if critics gave a 50 to yet another half-cocked attempt to bank off of immersive-sim nostalgia.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
I hope this gets bashed to oblivion for cringe terrible dialogue just because Forspoken got destroyed imo very undeservedly. japanese charm gets destroyed and this gets a pass? Fuck no.
And Forspoken plays great and it's genuinely a good game

You're displaying the sunk-cost fallacy here defending Forspoken by also wanting atomic heart to fail and get ragged on in the same manner, because you invested time and money in the steel case edition you bought.

anthony2690

Banned
I love GAF, but man I can't stand the console warriors, that come out with "game pass quality game" or instantly claim a game is 💩 because it isn't sitting at a 90 meta, it's insane.

It's even more strange, that users consider a 75/77 metacritic rating as a bad game.

Sadly I probably won't have time to try this till atleast April at this point, I hope I find it fun when I do :).

Also my carpet gets put down Thursday so I can finally get my Xbox back out then 💪

Anyway the game seems to be really well received on steam by people that spent money to play the game.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Definitely going to play on easy. I already get a little dizzy spinning around to find these guys in close quarters fights with the dodges they want you to do. I dont need to bust my balls on this game to see the art and get through the game. The shotgun also obstructs your view a lot with the kickback. Just feels a little hard to see sometimes in fights. Getting used to it still though.
hahaha so true. Fuck those robots man wtf

OZ9000

Banned
I love GAF, but man I can't stand the console warriors, that come out with "game pass quality game" or instantly claim a game is 💩 because it isn't sitting at a 90 meta, it's insane.

It's even more strange, that users consider a 75/77 metacritic rating as a bad game.

Sadly I probably won't have time to try this till atleast April at this point, I hope I find it fun when I do :).

Also my carpet gets put down Thursday so I can finally get my Xbox back out then 💪

Anyway the game seems to be really well received on steam by people that spent money to play the game.
75 metacritic rating for a divisive game such as this is very good as far as I'm concerned - especially since it has a lot of old "anti-SJW" tropes.

Ribi

70s = good
80s = great
90s = amazing

Fuck most games don't even touch 75+. People claiming that 75 is bad must only play 90s games

OZ9000

Banned

I generally find Steam reviews to reflect the game better than 'vidya gaym jurnlists'

Fools idol

Banned
graphics are great no doubt about that. But unfortunately the game is mid as fuck. It's a 6/10 at best lol. I do like the weapons and stuff but the world feels devoid of immersion.

My best summary would be that it feels like some kind of after market Skyrim/Bioshock mod made by fans.

Naru

70s = good
80s = great
90s = amazing

Fuck most games don't even touch 75+. People claiming that 75 is bad must only play 90s games
I have read a lot that on a 10 point scale 7/10 is mediocre which makes no sense. They just take the 5 point scale and use 5 as 10, 4 as 9, 3 as 8 and so on.

Eiknarf

Banned
I have read a lot that on a 10 point scale 7/10 is mediocre which makes no sense. They just take the 5 point scale and use 5 as 10, 4 as 9, 3 as 8 and so on.
Which is why I’m still trying to wrap my head around the overall feel I’m getting from users here

The game, the Callisto protocol, averaged a 73 and according to most, looked great (looked graphically better than Dead Space Remake) but along with it were complaints that it was clunky - The overall impression I got was negative. So I didn’t buy it

while Atomic Heart is averaging a 74. Just one point more than The Callisto Protocol, yet the overall impression I’m getting is positive

So my internal question is : why does the Callisto protocol get trashed while this gets praised?
I’m only wondering this because I like to evaluate things before I drop my time and my money on it.

Thanks in advance

Drizzlehell

Banned
70s = good
80s = great
90s = amazing

Everyone should just change scoring to a 1-5 scale if no one even bothers utilizing the full spectrum of a 1-10 scale or holding a correct perspective on those individual scores.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Which is why I’m still trying to wrap my head around the overall feel I’m getting from users here

The game, the Callisto protocol, averaged a 73 and according to most, looked great (looked graphically better than Dead Space Remake) but along with it were complaints that it was clunky - The overall impression I got was negative. So I didn’t buy it

while Atomic Heart is averaging a 74. Just one point more than The Callisto Protocol, yet the overall impression I’m getting is positive

So my internal question is : why does the Callisto protocol get trashed while this gets praised?
I’m only wondering this because I like to evaluate things before I drop my time and my money on it.

Thanks in advance
Go read Steam reviews - they're a far better reflection how good or bad a game is.

If Atomic Heart featured trans characters it probably would be rated 80+ but I imagine some of the writing is pissing reviewers off.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You're displaying the sunk-cost fallacy here defending Forspoken by also wanting atomic heart to fail and get ragged on in the same manner, because you invested time and money in the steel case edition you bought.
The steelbook edition I've bought was cheaper.
And I don't defend something just because I've bought it... The dialogues cringe factor seems way worse in atomic heart. But tbh, reviews are smashing it. It's just not reflected in the scores

EdH3ODY.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Atomic Heart
Platforms:
  • PC (Feb 21, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 21, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 21, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Feb 21, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 21, 2023)
Trailers:
Developer: Mundfish

Publishers: Focus Entertainment, 4Divinity

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic: 74/100 - 60% Recommended - 62 Reviews

PVMq3SM.jpg

MetaCritic - 73/100 - Xbox Series X - 13 Reviews
aHNrsKC.jpg

MetaCritic - 75/100 - PlayStation 5 - 25 Reviews
jdEaCVb.jpg

MetaCritic - 78/100 - PC - 15 Reviews
HAMCjUf.jpg

Critic Reviews:​

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 68 / 100

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8.4 / 10

Enternity.gr - Giannis Archontidis - Greek - 8 / 10

MonsterVine - Diego Escala - 4 / 5

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Wait

PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - Unscored

TechRaptor - Samuel Guglielmo - 5 / 10

We Got This Covered - David Morgan - 4 / 5

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8.4 / 10

eXputer - Huzaifah Durrani - 4 / 5

Already knew it was Gamepass fodder

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's a videogame company. Let these people make their damn game.
Yeah dude, I hardly have any power to "let" anyone do anything, but I'm flattered that you'd consider it.

At least be honest with yourself and say that this is exclusively about you not wanting to hear about any this.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It's a good game visually.

Writing is pretty bad.

But we'll see how the first couple hours are.

I don't like it when games take too long to get the action going. 30 mins in and I'm still stuck in this damn intro lol.
Shame, I think that scene setting intro was excellent, perhaps come back to it when you're not looking for just action, you might enjoy the experience more.

OZ9000

Banned
Shame, I think that scene setting intro was excellent, perhaps come back to it when you're not looking for just action, you might enjoy the experience more.
I felt the boat ride -> walking slowly to the main building segment took a bit too long.

Nevertheless I'm into the game right now and it's quite fun. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Braag

I'm intrigued but I'll get it once they patch RT into the PC version. I want to see the world in its full glory.

Reactions: GHG

RevGaming

It is always fun to watch indie cultists and anti-AAA guys pretend like their tastes are any more sophisticated, or that the indie scene is exploring new and uncharted frontiers when the reality is that it's a bunch of farming sims, adventure games and 2D platformers trying to recapture the essence of decades old IP that were AAA at the time.

In the case of this game, we've got people taking offense to the score as if critics gave a 50 to yet another half-cocked attempt to bank off of immersive-sim nostalgia.
Yup. Like I said, people are so delusional that they think indies killed the AAA scene. Their emotions wants them to feeeel like indies are better.

Nobody said they're bad games either, it's just not what xbox needs right now.

Flutta

Banned
graphics are great no doubt about that. But unfortunately the game is mid as fuck. It's a 6/10 at best lol. I do like the weapons and stuff but the world feels devoid of immersion.

My best summary would be that it feels like some kind of after market Skyrim/Bioshock mod made by fans.

Lmao who are you trying to fool with your ”summary”. 🤣🤣

People got no shame. Just say you hate it because RuSsiA.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Do you guys really think this? I dont. It looks great mostly because of super solid art design. The graphics don't look that insane in terms being a crazy next gen showcase. Everything is just eye catching and designed artistically. Comes off looking great but not that impossible.

What platform are you playing this on?

I can tell you that from what I've played on PC it's comfortably in the top 10 best looking games out there. Once they add RT it will probably be in the top 5.

Desperately needs a photomode.

Last edited:

Banned
I'm intrigued but I'll get it once they patch RT into the PC version. I want to see the world in its full glory.

yeah same... is it known when that patch will come out?

at least the devs added some Planar Reflections, which for some reason nowadays are usually avoided like the plague by most devs even tho they are FAR superior in many scenes compared to Screen Space Reflections... but then again, a simple cubemap is usually far superior to that shit!

like why is it so hard for other devs to do this:

sadly tho, only moments later you get into that elevator and are greeted by the same old same old SSR graphics glitch that developers want to sell as a modern graphics feature

GHG

Gold Member
yeah same... is it known when that patch will come out?

at least the devs added some Planar Reflections, which for some reason nowadays are usually avoided like the plague by most devs even tho they are FAR superior in many scenes compared to Screen Space Reflections... but then again, a simple cubemap is usually far superior to that shit!

like why is it so hard for other devs to do this:

sadly tho, only moments later you get into that elevator and are greeted by the same old same old SSR graphics glitch that developers want to sell as a modern graphics feature

Planar is more difficult to implement and comes at more performance cost that's why.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/BuildingWorlds/LightingAndShadows/PlanarReflections

Most games that use it will use it in combination with SSR to reduce render cost. Hitman 3 is a good recent example.

Last edited:

Vick

Wait
What’s that mean? “Brink my PS5 “ ?

Pardon my ignorance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_(electronics)

Goodwill for the game is further damaged by its unstable condition on PlayStation 5. I encountered several game crashes, an unexplained console overheating warning and a couple of corrupted save files during my time with the game.

https://www.well-played.com.au/atomic-heart-review/

Also:
Man my PS5 beeped thrice and completely shutdown during a cutscene. It seems fine now but it happened for the first time.

Last edited:

Banned
Planar is more difficult to implement and come at more performance cost that's why.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/BuildingWorlds/LightingAndShadows/PlanarReflections

Most games that use it will use it in combination with SSR to reduce render cost. Hitman 3 is a good recent example.

while that is true, there are many scenes in many recent games where developers could have easily implemented it (it is a standard feature in many modern engines) but didn't.

one such example is Hi-Fi Rush. without spoiling too much, there is one (I guess 2) level where you are being locked into an almost perfectly square room with almost nothing in it.
the floor of said room is almost mirror-like reflective, and it uses SSR, which means constant artifacts.

in such a moment, there is no way they couldn't have either implemented planar reflections, or even more simple, just made the floor semi-transparent and mirror the room below with slightly simplified geometry.

SSR is used in many games because it's just a button press and doesn't affect performance as much, but they do this also in situations where planar reflections or other tricks could have been easily used instead.

SSR quickly became the "let's just slap that on an move on" kinda effect, and it fucking sucks... it always sucked.

one very egregious example of this is the Red Phone room in Control.
you can see the difference with RT off and on in this

there is NOTHING in this room, all around just black, and almost nothing inside the room.
there is just no way planar reflections here would have been too taxing. yet Remedy opted to just leave the windows pitch black when RT is off, which IMO makes the room look like it's missing something.

here is Hitman 2 showing Remedy how it's done

Last edited:

M1987

What platform are you playing this on?

I can tell you that from what I've played on PC it's comfortably in the top 10 best looking games out there. Once they add RT it will probably be in the top 5.

Desperately needs a photomode.
From what I've played,top 5 easily

GHG

Gold Member
while that is true, there are many scenes in many recent games where developers could have easily implemented it (it is a standard feature in many modern engines) but didn't.

one such example is Hi-Fi Rush. without spoiling too much, there is one (I guess 2) level where you are being locked into an almost perfectly square room with almost nothing in it.
the floor of said room is almost mirror-like reflective, and it uses SSR, which means constant artifacts.

in such a moment, there is no way they couldn't have either implemented planar reflections, or even more simple, just made the floor semi-transparent and mirror the room below with slightly simplified geometry.

SSR is used in many games because it's just a button press and doesn't affect performance as much, but they do this also in situations where planar reflections or other tricks could have been easily used instead.

SSR quickly became the "let's just slap that on an move on" kinda effect, and it fucking sucks... it always sucked.

one very egregious example of this is the Red Phone room in Control.
you can see the difference with RT off and on in this

there is NOTHING in this room, all around just black, and almost nothing inside the room.
there is just no way planar reflections here would have been too taxing. yet Remedy opted to just leave the windows pitch black when RT is off, which IMO makes the room look like it's missing something.

here is Hitman 2 showing Remedy how it's done

I know most games will benefit from it, but like I said, it comes at a cost, both from a computational and time perspective. That's the unfortunate reality which means we don't see it used more often.

Top Bottom