• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart | Review Thread

Banned
I know most games will benefit from it, but like I said, it comes at a cost, both from a computational and time perspective. That's the unfortunate reality which means we don't see it used more often.

and people wonder why people like me can't wait for Raytracing to be in literally everything.
it's kinda the only way to make devs implement good reflections these days, because it's similarly easy to just toggle on as SSR.

Reactions: GHG

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
2 hours in

Janky, framerate drops, AWFUL dialogue and meh gameplay

Looks really good sometimes but I will not finish this
In which platform are you playing it? I tried the early build on GP thorugh the Kiribati trick and it had some stutter but aside from that it ran smooth as butter.

SpokkX

In which platform are you playing it? I tried the early build on GP thorugh the Kiribati trick and it had some stutter but aside from that it ran smooth as butter.
Series X. To be fair the major drops were mostly in elevators and with lots of fire.. so that is not my main issue

It was just mostly unengaging to me

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What platform are you playing this on?

I can tell you that from what I've played on PC it's comfortably in the top 10 best looking games out there. Once they add RT it will probably be in the top 5.

Desperately needs a photomode.
I'm playing on Series S. And I know it's obviously not going to be comparable to a top PC, which is fine with me. I'm just saying that I've seen videos of some of the PC stuff and it truly doesn't look that different from what I'm playing, and actually looks very similar. I'm sure I'm missing a few effects though. Me personally, I don't think this game is close to something like Horizon 2, and I don't even own Horizon.

What is blowing you guys away so much? Textures, lighting, ray tracing, animations, complex geometry? Maybe I'm missing more than I think. I definitely noticed some blurriness when then drill worm thing showed up, so likely boss fights are going to be a big weakness on Series S.

For the record, the game is stunning. I just thought it was more down to consistently great / interesting artistic design. I never thought the character models or environments were dramatically eclipsing other top games.

GHG

I'm playing on Series S. And I know it's obviously not going to be comparable to a top PC, which is fine with me. I'm just saying that I've seen videos of some of the PC stuff and it truly doesn't look that different from what I'm playing, and actually looks very similar. I'm sure I'm missing a few effects though. Me personally, I don't think this game is close to something like Horizon 2, and I don't even own Horizon.

What is blowing you guys away so much? Textures, lighting, ray tracing, animations, complex geometry? Maybe I'm missing more than I think. I definitely noticed some blurriness when then drill worm thing showed up, so likely boss fights are going to be a big weakness on Series S.

For the record, the game is stunning. I just thought it was more down to consistently great / interesting artistic design. I never thought the character models or environments were dramatically eclipsing other top games.

Unless you're downloading uncompressed direct feed footage you're not going to be seeing what other people running this on high end hardware are seeing. I also don't know what screen you're watching said footage on and the resolution of that screen.

The Series S won't do it justice. At native 4k this is comfortably up there with the best.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Unless you're downloading uncompressed direct feed footage you're not going to be seeing what other people running this on high end hardware are seeing.

The Series S won't do it justice.
I'm sure that's true. I'll try to keep an eye on it though. What are the main things blowing you guys away? Lighting and ray tracing? Textures?

GHG

I'm sure that's true. I'll try to keep an eye on it though. What are the main things blowing you guys away? Lighting and ray tracing? Textures?

The game doesn't have ray tracing but I'd say it's a combination of the lighting, models, textures and art.

The best way I can describe it is that it's all very coherent. Everything just fits together so convincingly, there's so much attention to detail and density in all of the spaces.

Fun fact, once upon a time this was meant to also be a VR compatible game (which would go some way to explaining why there's detail even in places that there doesn't need to be any). They abandoned that idea for whatever reason but I hope they reconsider and bring it back.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The MC's voice acting and dialogue is very annoying, otherwise it's been a fun game so far.

Dr. Suchong

70s = good
80s = great
90s = amazing

Fuck most games don't even touch 75+. People claiming that 75 is bad must only play 90s games
LFa9esa.jpg

The state of things now.

Eiknarf

Banned
LFa9esa.jpg

The state of things now.
Ahhh I see.

I mean, I always assumed lately we were on a stricter scale - aka, expect more of things. And I can see why

Restaurants had to up their game in the last 15 years. Because everybody is a critic and can review them online through Google reviews - or yelp - or Facebook and post pictures and tweet etc. So everything is held to a higher standard.

Everything is under such scrutiny now that it’s different than the 90s

So in my head, I would assume the graph would be reversed. Meaning a 75 today would be “meh”

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The twitter user is upset that “the ballerina robots are canonically sex slaves”

But they’re robots! Not real women. That’s like getting offended if I objectify my Amazon Alexa Edge that’s plugged into my wall.
You're correct, until the robots become self aware. NieR Automata gets into this. I don't know if this game does yet.

Kagero

Looks like this gens crysis. Beautiful but average to great. Sleeper hit written all over it. Releasing at a terrible time for me though. Right in between a monster hunter-like game and a souls-like game.

Thebonehead

Banned
Going to wait and see what the RT patch brings before giving this a run through.

Then I am waiting for the Returnal 3840x1600 ultrawide fix

I still have to complete Hogwarts as well.

Eiknarf

Banned
I’m gonna post this in two threads so it’s fair; The Callisto Protocol review thread and the Atomic Heart review thread:

One year ago this month I was anticipating two titles the most:

The Callisto Protocol and Atomic Heart.

Both are now available and both are getting around the same review grade.

Callisto Protocol is averaging a 73 on Metacritic and OpenCritic (with 48% recommending it)

Atomic Heart is averaging a 74 on Metacritic and OpenCritic (with 57% recommending it)

If they are both the same price and I HAD to spend $70 - which would you guys recommend?

Hurahn7

Banned
Yeah dude, I hardly have any power to "let" anyone do anything, but I'm flattered that you'd consider it.

At least be honest with yourself and say that this is exclusively about you not wanting to hear about any this.
I read about it and it's a non-issue. Even if the owners are chummy with Russian officials they didn't start the war with Ukraine. They were making a videogame.
By your logic muthafuckas shouldn't play COD because it spreads American imperialism. I know there are people out there who hate seeing America as the good guys with all the shit we muddled in. This game will not be tipping point in the war with Ukraine or a rally cry. Most of the people playing this game aren't thinking about Russian propaganda. They're going to beat the game, put it on the shelf, and wait for the next release. The majority of the developers who made this are hoping it does well so they hopefully get some bonus pay, pay their bills, and get a vacation before they start on DLC or their next game.

noomi

Holding off for now but I think I will enjoy this after a patch or two.

Give me RT, let me turn off mouse excel, and a QoL change here and there and then I'll hop in... why not?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I’m gonna post this in two threads so it’s fair; The Callisto Protocol review thread and the Atomic Heart review thread:

Callisto Protocol is averaging a 73 on Metacritic and OpenCritic (with 48% recommending it)

Atomic Heart is averaging a 74 on Metacritic and OpenCritic (with 57% recommending it)

If they are both the same price and I HAD to spend $70 - which would you guys recommend?
Atomic Heart looks like a good game while the other seems to play like shit.

Free tip: stop caring so much about scores.

Flabagast

Both games have good qualities and are worth trying down the line imho.

If you only buy one I'd say Atomic Heart though. It seems to be a more complete package and is much more original in its visual design and presentation. The game sures knows how to craft stunning imagery (though Callisto is a looker as well).

winjer

Gold Member
After a few hours of gameplay, I can't say I'm impressed.
The start was very cool, but after the rise of the robots, it goes down hill.
My main issue is the narrow FOV, without an option to change it. This is close to a game breaker.
Not only it makes gameplay worse, but it causes some nausea.
Movement is clunky. And the lack of a run button makes it seem sluggish.
Combat is decent, but nothing special.
The game only has support for FSR1. So I'm using TAAU.
The game has too much loot to collect. Seriously, what's with so many modern games becoming trash collector simulators.
There is too much dialog. The guy never shuts the fuck up. And it's not even funny like with High on Life.

At least optimization is very good. I barely had any stutters.
And design is very cool.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ahhh I see.

I mean, I always assumed lately we were on a stricter scale - aka, expect more of things. And I can see why

Restaurants had to up their game in the last 15 years. Because everybody is a critic and can review them online through Google reviews - or yelp - or Facebook and post pictures and tweet etc. So everything is held to a higher standard.

Everything is under such scrutiny now that it’s different than the 90s

So in my head, I would assume the graph would be reversed. Meaning a 75 today would be “meh”
That disgustingly skewed game rating chart Dr. S posted probably started around 20 years ago when the internet was full steam ahead. Thats when everything went to the shitter and even crap games somehow squeeze out a 5/10. Too much ad revenue, free games and access to info and early previews at stake. So most game sites get on their knees as the game studio holds all the cards.

On the other hand, movies have stayed true. A bad movie gets a 1 star, a great movie gets a 5 star and when you look at the mix of scores, you get shitloads of movies in that 40-60% range, which is where it should be.... average products.

But movie critics dont rely on perks or seem to give a shit if they give a bad review. And it doesn't seem to phase them or the movie studio giving out red carpet early access to reviews if the movie bombs. If the movie sucks, it sucks and everyone can live with it getting grilled on Rotten Tomatoes.

Two entertainment mediums with lots of reviews. Hell, they are so intertwined, the game and movie can be based off each other and copromoted. But two totally different ways they are critiqued by reviewers and their rating scales.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Atomic Heart.

Ozriel

M$FT
Performs tremendously well on PC. Getting 100-120 fps maxed out at native 4k (DLSS/FSR turned off) on a 5800X3D/4090. The game oozes atmosphere and attention to detail in the environments. @Karak This game is RIPE for doing one of your walking the walk videos. You could spend a ton of time in that opening area alone, there are so many conversations happening and people/robots going about their day to day routines.

Can't help but think that those who say the PC version stutters or has broken reflections have sailed the 7 seas. Some of my screenshots from the opening area:

T6B1Xm.png

T6BtHP.png

T6B091.png

T6qhca.png

T6qxvq.png

T6qFgr.png

T6qnD2.png

Regarding reflections, It seems like they are using planar reflections as the solution, hence they still remain even if the objects being reflected are no longer in view:

T6BWDx.png

And this is the scene posted earlier where people were claiming the PC version has broken reflections in comparison to consoles (hint, it doesn't):

T6qLAv.png

Gorgeous screenshots!

I went with a 4080 for my build since I wanted to manage power consumption, but I’ll be lying if I said I wasn’t tempted to pivot to the 4090 route.

Ozriel

M$FT

Unlike Callisto, Atomic Heart is having some points docked for pre-patch technical issues and protagonists dialogue. On pure gameplay, setting and atmosphere basis, AH does seem to be the better game.

Hurahn7

Banned

The scores don't mean anything. I didn't like Callisto Protocol, but Atomic Hearts just hits different. You know what type of games you like.

The MC's voice acting and dialogue is very annoying, otherwise it's been a fun game so far.
Yeah im pretty far in the game and he's really the only sore spot. The actor didn't do a good job playing him and the writing(How many times is he going to say crispy critters? lol) for him is complete trash

Some of the supporting characters are actually nailing the shit out of their jobs

Meifu

a little under an hour in,

The gameplay seems totally decent, graphics are amazing, but my god what in the Cyberpunk's V + Forspoken is this cringy main character.

sachos

They really are going for that Bioshock vive, the opening is straight out of Bioshock Infinite. And oh boy, are they gonna spam those twins for marketing.

Denton

Atomic Heart is about 1000% more creative in its art, worldbuilding, setting and it is also much longer game. And so far, much less frustrating.

Callisto ain't bad but this is something else. However, I obviously didn't finish this yet and am nowhere near the end.

TintoConCasera

MC made me laugh with the inquisiton stuff when he got the first upgrade. :goog_relieved:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wonder if there was a downgrade.
The trailers looked incredible few years ago. It was either downgarded or I got used to the way it looks

Eiknarf

Banned
How is it down to a 71 on Metacritic now for the PS5? WTF?!

When can users be able to post their review and score there ?

Last edited:

M1987

I wonder if there was a downgrade.
The trailers looked incredible few years ago. It was either downgarded or I got used to the way it looks
It easily looks as good as the trailers,but once you get a couple of hours into the game,you stop looking at the graphics as much because there's so much going on

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am watching Elajjaz play on twitch and it seems kinda terrible. not the graphics but the game.
Anything they say is actually cringe and he is just in the open field with enemies infinitely spawning.... and mick gordon woop woop woop noise constantly on top of that. it does not fit the style of the game at all lol.
Watched some reviews and they say the same thing... and yet good metacritic?
All reviews 90% bitch about the game and then give it a good score?
Yet forspoken gets torn apart undeservedly ? State of reviews is so strange nowadays.

Point being - I have no idea how good or bad a game is nowadays if I won't play it myself. Callisto was supposed to be amazing and I loved the trailers and reviews. And the game was utter trash. Forspoken was the opposite. lol

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
It's a good game visually.

Writing is pretty bad.

But we'll see how the first couple hours are.

I don't like it when games take too long to get the action going. 30 mins in and I'm still stuck in this damn intro lol.
I think it is more like lost in translation. I understand Russian and the writing is not bad. He swears a little bit too much, but nothing bad else there.

MMaRsu

Banned

Atomic

hinch7

Yeah would be a much better off game if the MC stopped the edgy and needlessy angry quips every 30 seconds. Heck, I'd take a silent protagonist. Also don't care much for the open world.

Other than that enjoying the other parts of the game like builds and the weapons plus crafting.

Top Bottom