• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart | Review Thread

Eiknarf

bill-clinton-president.gif
But there is no six hour cut scene or one minute simulated sex scene, right?

Why do these dumb rumors start?

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Not for me.

Game just feels off. Not exactly jank, but a sort of pervasive floatiness.
I getchya

I’m definitely getting this. Just not sure when now

I personally overhyped the hell out of this for myself. For YEARS… I couldn’t wait. I expected a phenomenal game with insane gameplay (gameplay is most important), but reading the feedback from members here is giving me the impression that it’s good, but not great.

I don’t care about the dialogue from the protagonist. I mostly care about awesome combat. The thing that makes you wanna play and be ok with doing the same thing over and over: combat

But it seems First Person Games are always clunkier than Third Person.
And I expect that. So I will get this down the road

And it’s not about price- For me it’s about time - and space on my PS5

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I am watching Elajjaz play on twitch and it seems kinda terrible. not the graphics but the game.
Anything they say is actually cringe and he is just in the open field with enemies infinitely spawning.... and mick gordon woop woop woop noise constantly on top of that. it does not fit the style of the game at all lol.
Watched some reviews and they say the same thing... and yet good metacritic?
All reviews 90% bitch about the game and then give it a good score?
Yet forspoken gets torn apart undeservedly ? State of reviews is so strange nowadays.

Point being - I have no idea how good or bad a game is nowadays if I won't play it myself. Callisto was supposed to be amazing and I loved the trailers and reviews. And the game was utter trash. Forspoken was the opposite. lol
We get it bro, you’re the one guy that liked Forspoken!

j/k

GymWolf

I'm playing on Series S. And I know it's obviously not going to be comparable to a top PC, which is fine with me. I'm just saying that I've seen videos of some of the PC stuff and it truly doesn't look that different from what I'm playing, and actually looks very similar. I'm sure I'm missing a few effects though. Me personally, I don't think this game is close to something like Horizon 2, and I don't even own Horizon.

What is blowing you guys away so much? Textures, lighting, ray tracing, animations, complex geometry? Maybe I'm missing more than I think. I definitely noticed some blurriness when then drill worm thing showed up, so likely boss fights are going to be a big weakness on Series S.

For the record, the game is stunning. I just thought it was more down to consistently great / interesting artistic design. I never thought the character models or environments were dramatically eclipsing other top games.
At least on pc maxed out, the texture work is nothing short of amazing.

Except for unimportant human npcs you see in the intro, those looked strangely mid.

Even stupid stuff like the rounded handle you need to open the first door when the guy get killed by the wires (first 30 min of the game) and that fucking handle was super detailed and rounded.

Pretty sure that on series S the textures are not as pristine and high res.

Last edited:

GymWolf

After a few hours of gameplay, I can't say I'm impressed.
The start was very cool, but after the rise of the robots, it goes down hill.
My main issue is the narrow FOV, without an option to change it. This is close to a game breaker.
Not only it makes gameplay worse, but it causes some nausea.
Movement is clunky. And the lack of a run button makes it seem sluggish.
Combat is decent, but nothing special.
The game only has support for FSR1. So I'm using TAAU.
The game has too much loot to collect. Seriously, what's with so many modern games becoming trash collector simulators.
There is too much dialog. The guy never shuts the fuck up. And it's not even funny like with High on Life.

At least optimization is very good. I barely had any stutters.
And design is very cool.
There is both a mod and flawless widescreen to enlarge the fov.

At least on pc maxed out, the texture work is nothing short of amazing.

Except for unimportant human npcs you see in the intro, those looked strangely mid.

Even stupid stuff like the rounded handle you need to open the first door when the guy get killed by the wires (first 30 min of the game) and that fucking handle was super detailed and rounded.

Pretty sure that on series S the textures are not as pristine and high res.
I know this is sacrilege, and I'm not trying to compare them - but it honestly looks really great on Series S too.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
There is both a mod and flawless widescreen to enlarge the fov.

I know, but I already unistalled the game. After a few hours it really starts to become very repetitive.
The constant talking with the glove. The door puzzles. The constant garbage collecting. The average combat system. The bullet sponge enemies. The constant respawn of enemies out of nowhere. Etc.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I know this is sacrilege, and I'm not trying to compare them - but it honestly looks really great on Series S too.
Lol maybe i wasn't clear, i was not scolding you or whatever, just trying to understand why you were not impressed by the game, i'm a texture whore so this game is kinda of a paradise for me.

Last edited:
Lol maybe i wasn't clear, i was not scolding you or whatever, just trying to understand why you were not impressed by the game, i'm a texture whore so this game is kinda of a paradise for me.
I didn't take it that way lol. I'm actually surprised. I expected noticeable graphical issues like Guardians had (I got that on PS5 instead). But AH looks pretty good on Series S. I'm just surprised. It's not on par with PC though obviously.

I know, but I already unistalled the game. After a few hours it really starts to become very repetitive.
The constant talking with the glove. The door puzzles. The constant garbage collecting. The average combat system. The bullet sponge enemies. The constant respawn of enemies out of nowhere. Etc.
every damn time. why, developers? why?...

Im almost done with the game...and some of the later areas look absolutely ridiculous...like wow...Up there with the "Best all time graphics...." type conversations IMO

Yo the part with the little globe looking rail cars in the beginning though, and they were erratically zipping up an down the huge corridor...that shit was just beautiful. The very first real boss fight, how big and hectic that thing was and it was in real time + the animation for it was just mindblowing

I've gotten killed by quite a few enemies because I was in areas just looking at stuff lol. My least favorite area is in the first few hours and you had to go to that big grow house looking room? The platforms and lighting looked great but it really exposed how bad the plant life can look at times....the enemies they practically jacked from prey can animate so good sometimes

This team needs to get with better writers and they need to build out a full fledge universe/trilogy...because technically this stuff is absolutely breathtaking

Last edited:

GymWolf

I know i sound like a broken disk, but you can miss pretty important stuff if you don't explore well, i was almost missing a gun between 2 desks in the initial area.

Btw people already finishing the game and i'm taking my sweet time and didn't even reached the open world part after like 6 hours:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

MMaRsu

Banned
I getchya

I personally overhyped the hell out of this for myself. For YEARS… I couldn’t wait. I expected a phenomenal game with insane gameplay (gameplay is most important), but reading the feedback from members here is giving me the impression that it’s good, but not great.

I don’t care about the dialogue from the protagonist. I mostly care about awesome combat. The thing that makes you wanna play and be ok with doing the same thing over and over: combat

Nah, the game is actually legit and pretty great. Especially for a first effort from this studio. The first game they developed and its close to Bioshock.

Yes its not as polished but can we expect that from a first game?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What the fuck is going on with this game? I preloaded on Gamepass, then it made me do a small update then redownload 70GB so I didn't play. Today it is doing a fucking 18GB update. I have auto updates on and the game has never been ready for me to play. Fucking bullshit.

GymWolf

What the fuck is going on with this game? I preloaded on Gamepass, then it made me do a small update then redownload 70GB so I didn't play. Today it is doing a fucking 18GB update. I have auto updates on and the game has never been ready for me to play. Fucking bullshit.
The magic of pc gamepass and xbox app.

Eiknarf

Nah, the game is actually legit and pretty great. Especially for a first effort from this studio. The first game they developed and its close to Bioshock.

Yes its not as polished but can we expect that from a first game?
But even though Bioshock was great for its time, when I re-played it last year I got bored with the gameplay

So my question is, 15 years later, does Atomic have better gameplay now?

But even though Bioshock was great for its time, when I re-played it last year I got bored with the gameplay

So my question is, 15 years later, does Atomic have better gameplay now?
In my opinion, absolutely.

For one thing, Bioshock already felt very sluggish back then in terms of gameplay.
Atomic Heart, on the other hand, feels much better.

Furthermore, Atomic Heart offers a lot more variety: In addition to the fights and exploration, there are also really good puzzles included, which loosen up the gameplay. Plus the absurd humor is very refreshing.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Finally made it outside and that was cool Did a test room and that was also cool. When you get outside the game gets harder because there is no real permanent destruction of enemies or cameras. I do think the aesthetic is really great. Just interesting to see people celebrate the soviet empire. It was weird to hear good things about Stalin.

manfestival

Same thing happened to me. I was like ?????. fortunately I have had no issues with the game or performance so far as some of the others have reported. Outside of some areas being super easy on my system and then some dropping me to 70fps

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The magic of pc gamepass and xbox app.
Don't know if you're on Xbox but I played the game on the initial download and the frame pacing an frame rate was terrible on Series S After the big update they're both a lot better now.
Played on Series X today and I've had a few crashes that I wasn't getting at all on Series S so maybe the 18gb update fixes a few bugs.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Don't know if you're on Xbox but I played the game on the initial download and the frame pacing an frame rate was terrible on Series S After the big update they're both a lot better now.
Played on Series X today and I've had a few crashes that I wasn't getting at all on Series S so maybe the 18gb update fixes a few bugs.

GymWolf

I'm on pc, i was just having vietnam psdt from the last time i installed a game from the windows store\xbox app on pc.

rofif

Banned
We get it bro, you’re the one guy that liked Forspoken!

j/k
About that.
I just played about 3-4 hours on this on pc gamepass. I am going around the 4 underground areas collecting the containers.
Game runs extremely well atomic, dlss quality 4k and so on. Looks really great too. Could use some HDR and some areas are very crushed dark.
The game atmosphere and art style are exceptional.... and that's about it.

I really, really dislike playing it... few points:
-The amount of dialogue is terrible. Worst I've seen in... ever? They NEVER shut up. Never. There is constantly a voice or 2-3 at the same time. it is crazy how much they fucking keep talking.
-The quality of dialogue is not helping. It is terrible.... the delivery is... fineish but what they say is just pukefest. Seriously... show that people really have not played forspoken. Forspoken dialogue is like 10% amount of this and quality is like Shakespeare in comparison lol.
-The combat is strange. It's very heavy and aggressive ... at the same time? There are melee weapons, electric weaons, normal guns, upgrades, permutations... like there is everything. It's too much
-Next point is like above. There is everything. The seriously do everything they thought of in this game. You have door mini puzzles, upgrade trees, skill trees, collecting resources (terribly monotonous), enemies weaknesses and strengths, powers, secondary powers, alternative attacks.... like anything I can think of is in some form in this game.
-Sound design is terrible. Sound effects volumes do not much one another. Some stuff don't seem to have sound effect attached to it at all or something else is playing over it all.
-The cameras and alerts... KILL ME.

So far I don't see the high scores. It's a mess of everything. Clunky, janky mess.
For real now - no Joke... Forspoken was 10x better than this shite so far.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I somehow missed the coverage for this game, maybe that was for the best. I had zero expectations going into it, and after about 4 hours, I really like it. I don't get the hate on the writing, maybe it will get worse as time goes on, but I tend to read everything and listen to every available conversation. Maybe the story has been fleshed out more for me due to my playstyle. Anyways, 4 hour in and I would give it a 8.5/10 so far.

-The quality of dialogue is not helping. It is terrible.... the delivery is... fineish but what they say is just pukefest. Seriously... show that people really have not played forspoken. Forspoken dialogue is like 10% amount of this and quality is like Shakespeare in comparison lol.

So let me get this straight. There's something rotten in the state of Denmark. I’m seeing freaking ghosts. And, oh yeah! I’m talking to a skull! Yeah, ok, that is something I do now. I seek vengeance, kill jacked-up uncles. I’ll probably die next.

Hugare

About that.
I just played about 3-4 hours on this on pc gamepass. I am going around the 4 underground areas collecting the containers.
Game runs extremely well atomic, dlss quality 4k and so on. Looks really great too. Could use some HDR and some areas are very crushed dark.
The game atmosphere and art style are exceptional.... and that's about it.

I really, really dislike playing it... few points:
-The amount of dialogue is terrible. Worst I've seen in... ever? They NEVER shut up. Never. There is constantly a voice or 2-3 at the same time. it is crazy how much they fucking keep talking.
-The combat is strange. It's very heavy and aggressive ... at the same time? There are melee weapons, electric weaons, normal guns, upgrades, permutations... like there is everything. It's too much
-Next point is like above. There is everything. The seriously do everything they thought of in this game. You have door mini puzzles, upgrade trees, skill trees, collecting resources (terribly monotonous), enemies weaknesses and strengths, powers, secondary powers, alternative attacks.... like anything I can think of is in some form in this game.
-Sound design is terrible. Sound effects volumes do not much one another. Some stuff don't seem to have sound effect attached to it at all or something else is playing over it all.
-The cameras and alerts... KILL ME.

So far I don't see the high scores. It's a mess of everything. Clunky, janky mess.
For real now - no Joke... Forspoken was 10x better than this shite so far.

Complaining about quality/amount of dialogue and loving Forspoken

A game that literaly has an option to shut the hell up in the menus (not completely, just tone down)

Opinions and all, and I would agree with the quality of the writing, but then you compared to Forspoken, and yeah, nah

15h played so far and nothing in the game made me cringe this hard

Dont agree with you complaining about the game having too much combat options, and 90% of them being optional

Also complaining about collecting resources, something present in every open world game ever (Fallout? Skyrim? RDR? Any Ubi game?). And at least here the mechanic is amazing, you just hold the button and everything comes at you.

The cameras and alert complain is weird. It's there in Bioshock. It's there in any immersive sim. It's present in so many games. Why is it bothersome here?

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Complaining about quality/amount of dialogue and loving Forspoken

A game that literaly has an option to shut the hell up in the menus (not completely, just tone down)

Opinions and all, and I would agree with the quality of the writing, but then you compared to Forspoken, and yeah, nah

15h played so far and nothing in the game made me cringe this hard

Dont agree with you complaining about the game having too much combat options, and 90% of them being optional

Also complaining about collecting resources, something present in every open world game ever (Fallout? Skyrim? RDR? Any Ubi game?). And at least here the mechanic is amazing, you just hold the button and everything comes at you.

The cameras and alert complain is weird. It's there in Bioshock. It's there in any immersive sim. It's present in so many games. Why is it bothersome here?

There is way way less dialogue in forspoken. And the banter can be turned down.

It’s a fine game. Just mess of everything

I getchya

It's a great game. It's not the best FPS ever but the amount of detail, crazy story and beautiful art direction make it worth the play. It's a mix of portal, bioshock, doom & far cry. It's good at all of that but master of none. Once you start upgrading your powers it gets pretty nuts.

phant0m

It's a great game. It's not the best FPS ever but the amount of detail, crazy story and beautiful art direction make it worth the play. It's a mix of portal, bioshock, doom & far cry. It's good at all of that but master of none. Once you start upgrading your powers it gets pretty nuts.
i agree. i don't know what's going on but i feel like gamers/games media have changed their tastes in the last year or two.

i'm only 2-3 hours in, but nothing about this game feels bad mechanically. it runs well (playing on PC) and looks pretty good to boot. yes some of the dialogue ranges from laughably bad to just awful but that's something that would dock it like half a point. if this was released in like 2017 i feel like it would've averaged in the mid 80s

Top Bottom