• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan - The Final Season |OT| A 2000 year PATH reaches its CLIMAX (Dec 7th)

O-N-E

Part 3
-------------------------

FPbfWcFaIAIaiY_

Part 2

Part 2 will be airing January 9th 2022.

Here's the first PV -

Here's the final trailer.

Part 1 Archive Below

Hype such as has never been felt before.... The time is nigh.

Attack-on-Titan-Season-4-Poster.jpg
EoePMKWVgAAA_LJ
EqOb6q_VoAIXfvm

Current Episodes Released:

• Episode 60 - The Other Side of the Sea
  • Episode 61 - Midnight Train
  • Episode 62 - The Door of Hope
  • Episode 63 - From One Hand to Another
  • Episode 64 - Declaration of War
  • Episode 65 - The Warhammer Titan
  • Episode 66 - Assault
  • Episode 67 - Assassin's Bullet
  • Episode 68 - Brave Volunteers
  • Episode 69 - A Sound Argument
  • Episode 70 - Deceiver
  • Episode 71 - Guides
  • Episode 72 - Children of the Forest
  • Episode 73 - Savagery
  • Episode 74 - Sole Salvation
  • Episode 75 - Above and Below
  • Episode 76 - Judgement

Should be simulcast on Crunchyroll and Funimation.

Rules borrowed from EviLore EviLore

Standard rules apply:

-No manga talk; post a manga thread or use an existing one if you'd like to talk about the manga

-Spoiler tag unaired material or previews and clearly label as such outside of the tags so that people know what they are or aren't clicking on

-No spoiler tags necessary for aired episodes, but be courteous to other gaffers, e.g. a quick (episode 38) at the front of your post if you're posting reactions to episode 38 can help people figure out what to steer clear of or what to read if they're following the thread as they're catching up

-ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRENNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Maybe this is worth watching -

Last edited:

O-N-E

I binged-watched the whole series during the first lockdown and now I'm hyped AF ! It's been ages since an anime hyped me this much and I sincerely believe I'm not ready for what's coming...

DEC 7 LET'S FUCKING GO !!!

Probably the most hype I’ve had for any show. It’s just one of the best shows around. Don’t even need to box it in only the anime category.

Haven't watched the last season so time to catch up

Plz don’t spoil yourself before you watch it.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
No Studio WIT and no Tetsuro Araki and MAPPA seem to be pouring all their focus into Jujutsu Kaisen. I'm not expecting anything although my friend told me Arifumi Imai is still gonna be working on it but I haven't read that myself.

O-N-E

No Studio WIT and no Tetsuro Araki and MAPPA seem to be pouring all their focus into Jujutsu Kaisen. I'm not expecting anything although my friend told me Arifumi Imai is still gonna be working on it but I haven't read that myself.

WIT has 34 official employees. MAPPA has 200.

I don't think the same people are handling their different anime projects. Whatever team's on Attack on Titan has likely been on it for a while.

No Testuro Araki is sad though. We'll see how they handle it.

O-N-E

- Don't read if you haven't started the season yet -

First Episode - The Other Side of the Sea

• Reiner's whole purpose is to get destroyed, ha.
  • So if I got it right, the failure on Paradis Island caused the Mid-East Alliance to test the Marleys, so they've been tangled in a war because of Erwin, Levi and co. for 3 or 4 years now.
  • Falco's hallucination of flying around with swords and titans sounds like he's going to be a titan possessor.
  • I wonder if Zeke was always into baseball or practices it specifically to mass murder people as "the Spear".
  • Pretty sure that was Jean at the end buying a newspaper. Just going by his look in promo materials.
  • And of course, Eldians just used as a meat tool. They're devils after all.

Episode art from staff:

EofqnYTVoAAoVOn

O-N-E

I am really hyped for this. I watched all the other seasons pretty quickly not too long ago.

The first episode is already out btw. Dec 7th is for Japan, but they're way ahead of North America.

Episodes will be coming out on Sundays here in the West.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The first episode is already out btw. Dec 7th is for Japan, but they're way ahead of North America.

Episodes will be coming out on Sundays here in the West.

Nice I will have to watch it. It's going to be hard going from being able to binge all the episodes to doing only one a week.

GymWolf

Out of nowhere, great news.

I stopped the manga years ago just to enjoy the final act in anime form.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Second Episode (61) - Midnight Train

Excellent ep. Shows the group dynamic well and how they each deal with their feelings and hangups as Eldians in this world. Udo clearly upset by the optics for Eldians, Falco slipping up when insulting the honor of being a Titan, Reiner's veiling his humanization of Paradise Eldian Demons with seeming condemnation of mundane and charming actions, his mother catching on to what he's saying and trying to steer the convo back to pure demonization. Really awesome character work here. And lol at the ugliest titan being a hotty with a crutch.

Lastly, the progressing uselessness of titans in modern warfare further fuels my theory for how this will end.

Episode art:

Eo98eucU8AAF5MS

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Narratively I'm enjoying it. It's doing what I enjoyed TLOU2 for, giving both sides of the perspective on fighting.

Animation wise though I saw two scenes in episode 2 I swear were rotoscoped and the all CG Titans don't look poor but it's just lazy to never animate them at all.

O-N-E

Fourth Episode (63) - From One Hand to Another

• I knew I heard the name "Grice" before. He's the guy who recruited Grisha in the failed restoration movement. Turns out he's Falco's uncle.
  • Great fake-out with Eren's grandpa. He was actually a patient. What happened with Grisha destroyed him.
  • Interesting that it seems like the higher-ups in Marley consider it to have been mostly leaderless until this point where Tybur, the most esteemed Eldian, is taking the wheel.
  • Lol at Reiner paying for everything at the festival
  • Finally, shit is about to seriously POP OFF oh my damn (after credits scene).

Episode art:

EqJLP21UwAAVDru

New Key Visual featuring EREH!:

EqOb6q_VoAIXfvm

Last edited:

O-N-E

AoT weaved its worldbuilding into the narrative more deftly than this in previous seasons. Looks like it starts getting on with it next week at least.

The world was a mystery box and it burst wide open at the end of the last season. Now the mystery is the Eldians of Paradis (They've taken out 32 ships, have 2 to 3 titans on their side, and are operating covertly in Marley) and how they'll deal with the Marleyans who we're getting to know. I like the new dynamic. We get to plainly see Marley set their plans and the Eldians lurking in the corner, waiting to pounce.

Kayoba

I know it's important, but the time skip, new characters and more advanced technology makes this season feel like a completly different anime. I don't read the manga, but based on the the recent episode I'd say that the season will most likely become intense next episode.

Keep in mind that the next episode airs january 10th.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Just caught up through episode 63.

They have done a phenomenal job so far of showing the Warriors', and thereby Reiner's, perspective as well as some of the more sensible military leadership in Marley. A lot of great characters in both factions of Eldians and the writing is already on the wall. This show really goes out of its way to develop characters which make the betrayals and sacrifices all the more meaningful. It is going to be tough watching different Edlians tear each other apart over their differences in experiences/perspective...they won't come to terms with each other so easily. Great job of portraying nuance on both sides without a simple good vs evil narrative. I'm really interested to see where things go next after the post credits scene.

O-N-E

Fifth Episode (64) - Declaration of War

Insane episode. One of the best by my assessment.

The setup was great, with Eren and Reiner sitting in the room, being able to hear the speech, and Eren's implication that he's holding everyone around the stage hostage, so Reiner and Falco better do what he says. Meanwhile, they listen to the propaganda song and dance put on by Tybur. Eren approaches Reiner calmly and gets an admittance of guilt from him. Reiner grovels in front of him, it was all his fault, he says. Truly, Eren says, they are the same.... Attack ON.

The fucking misdirects in this series are wild, man.

Also, the guard who leads the warriors to the trap is very likely Armin judging by the posters. They did a good job hiding his height. My boy is colossally huge.

Very happy with the ep. Yay.

Episode art:

ErMw7vkVoAUlsYB

Last edited:

Dis

Shet i wanna see this
Waiting for it to end so i can binge watch everything

S1 was one of the best things ive ever seen

Fbh

I watched season 1 and dropped it. Overrated and just plain bad.

If you ever want to give it another go try the manga.
It flows much better than the anime. Haven't caught up with the rest of the anime but in S1 it felt like they intentionally made the pacing really slow to stretch out the budget as much as possible.
Instead of watching Armin give some boring ass speech for 25 minutes you can read through that in like 5 minutes in manga format.

O-N-E

It flows much better than the anime. Haven't caught up with the rest of the anime but in S1 it felt like they intentionally made the pacing really slow to stretch out the budget as much as possible.
Instead of watching Armin give some boring ass speech for 25 minutes you can read through that in like 5 minutes in manga format.

If you're binging, I never felt like AoT had a pacing problem.

Declaration of War was a brilliant episode. This season's slow build-up made the episode's final moment a lot more impactful. Great writing.

Agree.

Also curious to know the origins of your tag :messenger_hushed:

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Also curious to know the origins of your tag :messenger_hushed:
Got it for being a fanboy of Yasumi Matsuno's games a long time ago. I still am, but that was 13-14 years ago and my posts were probably written a lot more fervently. I've never went back to reading them, but they're probably full of cringe. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

My issues are multiple.
Eren is the whiniest protagonist since Shinji in NGE. A typical episode will have 3 mins of opening/closing credits, 3 mins of re-cap and preview, 2 mins of action and16 mins of internal dialogue where people go on boring internal monologues. Eren is whiner-in-chief. One episode had about 40 secs of action and 17 mins of Eren, Armin and Mikasa going through internal monologues while eyes tremble and jaws gape in 'shock'.

The military doesn't act like military do. Military life prepares you to be disciplined and not panic and follow orders under immense pressure. They also hate losing away trained soldiers. Even dead ones. This military hates discipline and has no regard for orders or how many soldiers get lost.

People also act stupid. Upon seeing titans rush into the streets instead of hiding in homes with cellars they rush into the street to get trampled.

Plus the whole plot of where the Titans come from and what they're trying to achieve just makes NO SENSE. IT MAKES NO SENSE.
Face facts people, this manga and anime was just an excuse to show gore of monsters eating people.

O-N-E

My issues are multiple.
Eren is the whiniest protagonist since Shinji in NGE. A typical episode will have 3 mins of opening/closing credits, 3 mins of re-cap and preview, 2 mins of action and16 mins of internal dialogue where people go on boring internal monologues. Eren is whiner-in-chief. One episode had about 40 secs of action and 17 mins of Eren, Armin and Mikasa going through internal monologues while eyes tremble and jaws gape in 'shock'.

The military doesn't act like military do. Military life prepares you to be disciplined and not panic and follow orders under immense pressure. They also hate losing away trained soldiers. Even dead ones. This military hates discipline and has no regard for orders or how many soldiers get lost.

People also act stupid. Upon seeing titans rush into the streets instead of hiding in homes with cellars they rush into the street to get trampled.

Plus the whole plot of where the Titans come from and what they're trying to achieve just makes NO SENSE. IT MAKES NO SENSE.
Face facts people, this manga and anime was just an excuse to show gore of monsters eating people.

Worst take on an anime I've ever seen.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
My issues are multiple.

It is a political manga that later becomes philosophical lite (GET IN THE FUCKING BASEMENT EREN) from what I've read years ago. It is not for everyone but it did gain a following (it is actually extremely popular to date) for having fluid animation and more edge than brap brap . As for the gore aspect I don't even consider this gory myself. This ain't no Gantz.

O-N-E

It is a political manga that later becomes philosophical lite (GET IN THE FUCKING BASEMENT EREN) from what I've read years ago. It is not for everyone but it did gain a following (it is actually extremely popular to date) for having fluid animation and more edge than brap brap . As for the gore aspect I don't even consider this gory myself. This ain't no Gantz.

Yeah, his theory falls completely flat for me as I by and large don't come to entertainment for gore.

The gore is more a very real consequence / threat for the characters. Humiliating and angering, putting the fear in them and driving them on to overcome.

O-N-E

Cool, something happened.

tenor.gif

I thought EL would appreciate all the little threads that were so neatly brought together this ep.

I don't know. From a story perspective, it's a hard ask to get better than this. Only thing that could improve it in a nitpicky way is absolutely legendary immaculate animation and OST.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
tenor.gif

I thought EL would appreciate all the little threads that were so neatly brought together this ep.

I don't know. From a story perspective, it's a hard ask to get better than this. Only thing that could improve it in a nitpicky way is absolutely legendary immaculate animation and OST.
The change in perspective coupled with the change in studios makes it feel like a different series altogether. Next ep will be an interesting test of whether it still has some AoT magic.

Top Bottom