• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan - The Final Season |OT| A 2000 year PATH reaches its CLIMAX (Dec 7th)

O-N-E

The animation on the latest episode was so strange. The first few sequences were really we done, then there was this jarring drop in quality. Like the worst its been in the series by my estimate. Really sucks considering the material was good. Hope this was a one off. Shouldn't have happened even this one time.

O-N-E

As commentary on the actual ep, the further we get in, the more I'm convinced Eren is setting himself up as an enemy to be defeated by this unholy union we see at the end. I'm guessing he wants things to end before the rumbling reaches other shores and that Marley won't be hostile to Eldians after this is over. That's the future he is building (is my theory).

LordOfChaos

As commentary on the actual ep, the further we get in, the more I'm convinced Eren is setting himself up as an enemy to be defeated by this unholy union we see at the end. I'm guessing he wants things to end before the rumbling reaches other shores and that Marley won't be hostile to Eldians after this is over. That's the future he is building (is my theory).

This is my thinking with the little glimmer of hope that says Eren isn't really gone all bad. He now announced to both sides of the Eldians what he's doing, and the whole world is present to watch what they do next. I think it's going to take an alliance of all sides of Eldians to stop him, and seeing this is what breaks the cycle of violence between Eldians and the rest of the world. Also the reason why he specifically went in to aggravate Armin and Mikasa so they'd accept him as an enemy.

Maybe also drawing the parasite thing out into the open and ending that too, thus ending all Titans.

O-N-E

Twenty-fifth Episode (84) - Night of the End

• Great dialogue focused ep.
  • A lot of sins beared out in the open and talked about.
  • Very Jean focused. "I'll always be a scout" was a very heartwarming line.
  • Yelena's backstory is surprising, but is a nice addition to the lore of how she got obsessed with Zeke.
  • Seeing all the recognizable faces of the dead scouts behind Hange is quite emotional.
  • Scout team finally gets to know what happened to Marco and some of the most tragic final words - "We haven't even had a chance to talk this through!"
  • Reiner can never get beat up enough. It is the way of the Reiner.
  • Poor Levi. Just trying to exist.

Episode art:

FNLPCg6agAMgIkJ

LordOfChaos

This one felt like a very lazy animation episode. Lots of the dialogue shots were cut away from mouths which I found odd, like just a top two thirds head so they don't have to animate a mouth, and Annie covering her mouth from the frame while speaking felt uncharacteristic. And then the really low resolution ground texture near the end, and the people walking around the ports at the end looking like Age of Empires 1 resolution, just pixelated blocks moving around.

I guess episodes like this had to take a cut to animate some of the more important ones. Hopefully the best are still coming, but it's still in a post rumbling slowdown and might pick up in the movie.

As far as the story, yeah, we're getting along with starting to tie together both sides, however reluctantly right now. I was still more with Jean's side than Maggath's, half his argument about things so long ago no one here was responsible for, and the other half was about their responses to Marley trying to kill them all. I think that's not just because these are the characters we grew up with, one is inherited sin and the other is what these people themselves did, the rest is how their victims responded.

Damn today's episode was such a crazy ride. I just feel sorry for everyone involved at this point except Floch. He can choke.

Connie's scenes near the end were honestly sad as hell, specially considering he just killed someone Sasha saved in season 1. Goes to show how far these characters have all gone since then.

Also...this show is messing me up. I was hyped when Reiner and Annie just transformed and i don't think i should have been after all they did.

This was MUCH better than the last 2 episodes. Budget was back as well...but i just can't see this show ending in 2 episodes.

Either one last season or a movie but at this point it has to be a 3rd part right? They just spent way too much time on character development for a show about to end.

LordOfChaos

I did have to give Flotch some bonus points this episode though. He was smart and capable, just outgunned by seconds by others who are also now the elite soldiers of this world.

That was hard. I wanted Armin's plan to work so bad, for them to get what they wanted without resorting to violence against the islanders. I wonder what the significance of the Yelena-Levi moment was, her saying you can't take the violence out of people, right Capitan? Levi's obviously setting up to come back in a big way, I wonder if that will be significant.

Two episodes left? This is 150,000% going to end in a movie or special, nowhere near resolved

O-N-E

Twenty-sixth Episode (86) - Retrospective

Brutal ep. Blood and guts everywhere. So fucking messy. A lot of hype fighting sequences, but the feeling watching it is so conflicted.

By the way, there's an after-credits scene.

Great ep.

I wonder why the preview didn't show any new footage? Interesting.

Episode art:

FOTZ5jFaUAQAKm3

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mikasa started out that fight punching and kicking guys, and finished it raining blood in style.

Great ep, but heavy. The consequences of Eren's decision are being made more real by seeing Annie's reactions at the end.

Jesus, Mikasa went off in this episode. She literally exploded those guys after they were already dead like that, lmao.

Connie had such an evolution since season one. He had the biggest body count after Mikasa. Who would think this back then?

Also...there's no way this ends next week or with a movie. Another part is happening. I heard this episode animates episodes 120 and 121. The manga has 139 episodes. Still almost 20 to go. A movie would have to be 3 hours long and still would need to cut things...another part with 12 episodes would fit if they didn't rush the ending.

LordOfChaos

My concern is that Theo was the only one who really knew Shadis was in there with him that wasn't either on the opposing side or killed in the blast/sinking...How people gonna know he was a hero and not a bystander?

After credit scene priming us to check for one next episode, I'm sure there's going to be one to announce a part 3 or movie.

Whatever form the end takes, I hope it's gotten the time and budget to do the ending pristinely. I don't want to comment on the animation many episodes in a row, but the Flotch dock sequence looked like it was story boarded amazingly, just ran out of time to fill in some frames so it looked choppy, it was a cool and action packed episode but scenes like that I wish were animated like Levi vs Kenny Squad, Levi vs Beast round 1, etc.

jorgejjvr

What worries me about movie is it may take too damn long to release outside Japan. Demon Slayer Mugen Train was an example. I'm hoping Part 3.
True. But sitting in a theater full of aot fans sounds like an insane ride. I've been to other anime movies, and it's always a wild ride. I can only imagine here

LordOfChaos

What worries me about movie is it may take too damn long to release outside Japan. Demon Slayer Mugen Train was an example. I'm hoping Part 3.

Didn't Broly release pretty quickly internationally? Keeping in mind AoT like that is one of the most popular shows period, it's transcended most anime that I know of that I see phone wallpapers and shirts and wings of freedom hoodies in the wild. I think they'd know international is important.

I was just thinking about something regarding Gabi. That girl killed sasha with a single shot, blew Eren up, "killing him" in the process, again with 1 shot...and shot Flock, supposedly killing him...again with a single shot.

The girl doesn't miss, lmao.

LordOfChaos

I was just thinking about something regarding Gabi. That girl killed sasha with a single shot, blew Eren up, "killing him" in the process, again with 1 shot...and shot Flock, supposedly killing him...again with a single shot.

The girl doesn't miss, lmao.

FaZe Gabi does not miss

Is...Is Flotch kind of growing on anyone? The Yeagerists don't want the island to be destroyed in revenge. The whole Mikasa sequence was cool but I was also wincing the whole time.

Last edited:

A.Romero

FaZe Gabi does not miss

Is...Is Flotch kind of growing on anyone? The Yeagerists don't want the island to be destroyed in revenge. The whole Mikasa sequence was cool but I was also wincing the whole time.

I think the main point of the series is that everyone is a victim. There is no clear villain so there is no reason to feel good about someone getting their ass kicked. Even Eren and his quest to destroy the world has an understandable angle. It's a huge lesson.

Man i was just watching this scene from season 2:

Crazy how everything about this show is so meticulously planned. I haven't watched this since it first aired. After everything that has happened since season 2 , coming back to this is so good.

edit: Anyone knows why season 1 isn't on Crunchyroll? It's odd. They have even the OVAs but not season one...

Last edited:

manfestival

bruh I dont want to wait 2 weeks for that final episode. Here is to hoping that they truly can wrap things up. Seems like there is so much on the table left

LordOfChaos

bruh I dont want to wait 2 weeks for that final episode. Here is to hoping that they truly can wrap things up. Seems like there is so much on the table left

Next episode 99.9% chance will not be the last of it

I think the second last here was priming us to check for after credits scenes, probably announcing a part 3 or movie

manfestival

Next episode 99.9% chance will not be the last of it

I think the second last here was priming us to check for after credits scenes, probably announcing a part 3 or movie
absolutely terrible move. Is there really so much left for a possible part 3(asking more of from the manga people that know)? I can imagine for a movie based off of what we have experienced so far.

O-N-E

Man i was just watching this scene from season 2:

Crazy how everything about this show is so meticulously planned. I haven't watched this since it first aired. After everything that has happened since season 2 , coming back to this is so good.

edit: Anyone knows why season 1 isn't on Crunchyroll? It's odd. They have even the OVAs but not season one...

What's cool is that stuff was only like 40 years after the King left and built the walls of Pardis.

LordOfChaos

absolutely terrible move. Is there really so much left for a possible part 3(asking more of from the manga people that know)? I can imagine for a movie based off of what we have experienced so far.

I hear it's a bit tight for a 2 hour movie while a part 3 would have time to not rush it.

I'm on team movie myself, even if that's like a 3 hour movie, why not. I always refer to the difference between DBS and the Broly movie, the former started with very rough animation, got better by the end, but Broly bested it by far. I don't want the ending of AoT marred with the Age of Empires 1 dudes crawling around the dock or anything like that, I want it to be pristine, the best animation AoT has had, and that takes more time and budget per scene.

LordOfChaos

Some good, some odd

I liked the first half showing some of their first reactions to life outside the wall, and the intrigue of why Eren chose this path. There were a couple of cuts that seemed weird, like it would flash back to someone's face then cut back in half a second, which seems like an editing issue rather than a choice, and it happened at least twice that I saw. And there was no end card or anything to announce part 3, I had to come here and see it? I'm watching officially on Funimation. That I felt took some of the punch out because I was sure there would be an end credits scene announcing it, and this was the "last" episode we knew of.

Part 3 rather than movie, ok cool. I just hope it has none of these animation issues and gets a pristine ending it deserves.

O-N-E

Twenty-seventh Episode (87) - The Dawn of Humanity

• lol at them chasing that car. Kuruma.
  • and lol again at the tension around the ice cream
  • 0_0... What the absolute fuck is that creepy clown? He was in massive danger of getting murdered by Levi.
  • nice party sequence with the refugees. Warms the heart it does.
  • Even a party set up as sympathetic to Subjects of Ymir could only go so far. Paradis is still full of devils.
  • "Everything happened by my will. Everything... comes after this."
  • He told Krista his plan as well.
  • "I won't let kids eat their parents anymore."
  • Yup, convo with Zeke confirms Eren lied to Mikasa about her protection of him being an Ackerman reaction rather than her actual feelings.
  • Damn, Eren actually fought in the Marley - Mid-East war. That was... brutal.
  • "Nearly every large cannon that exists in the world has been gathered here today." 0_0
  • FUCKING HELL. The animation, direction, music, horror-tinged tension in this sequence... It's peak classic AoT. HYPUS MAXIMUS.
  • "It's the Attack Titan!!!!"
  • It's horrific, it ain't right, but Eren's conclusion is so understandable.
  • Wow... this ending piece must be what Isayama (the manga author) apologized to the animators for.

I'm...really happy with that ep guys...

Episode art:

FPbeoqOacAQNZ5U

Last edited:
Fantastic episode. This really is my favorite show ever.
I have mixed feelings about the revelation that Mikasa is NOT a slave to the Ackermann blood, I thought that made her character more interesting.

I'm glad we're getting another season, but there's no way the next OP is going to be as good as THE RUMBLING.

LordOfChaos

I have mixed feelings about the revelation that Mikasa is NOT a slave to the Ackermann blood, I thought that made her character more interesting.

I thought this would be it from the start. Eren tricking them to undo her attachment.

People on reddit are all sorts of confused...He didn't try to destroy the world because she didn't say I love you...That would be dumb lol. He was just trying to figure out her specific attachment so he could form a plan to undo it so that her and Armin can live lives after he's gone, being less crushed by his passing.

It's wild on a global genocidal scale, but all of this is still driven by love for them.

That last scene of them partying and then the 3 of them falling asleep next to each other...heartbreaking.

We usually don't think about this enough but they are just kids. Eren was like 16 when he kissed historia's hand and everything changed for him.

Good episode that made us finally have some sort of context on what happened between season 3 and 4. To be honest i think i preferred if this had happened sooner but in terms of context it works here.

How many chapters are still missing until this ends? 15? 10?

LordOfChaos

That last scene of them partying and then the 3 of them falling asleep next to each other...heartbreaking.

We usually don't think about this enough but they are just kids. Eren was like 16 when he kissed historia's hand and everything changed for him.

Good episode that made us finally have some sort of context on what happened between season 3 and 4. To be honest i think i preferred if this had happened sooner but in terms of context it works here.

How many chapters are still missing until this ends? 15? 10?

This was chapter 130 and it goes to 139

Top Bottom