• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan - The Final Season |OT| A 2000 year PATH reaches its CLIMAX (Dec 7th)

Durask

My issues are multiple.
Plus the whole plot of where the Titans come from and what they're trying to achieve just makes NO SENSE. IT MAKES NO SENSE.
Face facts people, this manga and anime was just an excuse to show gore of monsters eating people.
Er you don't know where they come or what they are trying to achieve in Season 1

O-N-E

The change in perspective coupled with the change in studios makes it feel like a different series altogether. Next ep will be an interesting test of whether it still has some AoT magic.

It's interesting. They got me good with this new setup. It doesn't feel foreign to me, but an organic, thoughtful way to move the story forward. I'm usually pretty iffy about time skips, but I had no qualms with this. It enhanced the experience for me, which is rare. I feel like I overwhelmingly see people enjoying the ride across the net, but yeah... Some people haven't quite gotten used to the change. Although I'm sure there's going to be plenty of the same intense action as in previous seasons. No way around it, really.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I think the change in perspective is a bit weird feeling too. The manga felt the same way and picked up steam after a slow period in the beginning. Next week looks like some good action finally.

oagboghi2

It's interesting. They got me good with this new setup. It doesn't feel foreign to me, but an organic, thoughtful way to move the story forward. I'm usually pretty iffy about time skips, but I had no qualms with this. It enhanced the experience for me, which is rare. I feel like I overwhelmingly see people enjoying the ride across the net, but yeah... Some people haven't quite gotten used to the change. Although I'm sure there's going to be plenty of the same intense action as in previous seasons. No way around it, really.
The next 2 episodes should probably have the best action scenes of the entire series

GAMETA

Banned
This season will have some of the best action in the series, hard to swallow moments depending on who you identify with, and lots and lots of revelations. There will be theories and more theories, lol.

The change in perspective comes to an end soon, so don't worry.

I just wish you all were reading the manga, it's coming to an end in April, it's hard to find people to discuss about it...

Last edited:

oagboghi2

This season will have some of the best action in the series, hard to swallow moments depending on who you identify with, and lots and lots of revelations. There will be theories and more theories, lol.

I just wish you all were reading the manga, it's coming to an end in April, it's hard to find people to discuss about it...
I've read pretty far ahead, but I'm conflicted on if I should catch up and finish it, or just ride along with the anime

Reactions: Dis
I couldn't really be bother to finish watching after the twist ending of the first season. I thought it was very dumb and not worth getting further invested in.

O-N-E

I couldn't really be bother to finish watching after the twist ending of the first season. I thought it was very dumb and not worth getting further invested in.

Bruh this is a thread for discussion of the 4th season.

The community anime / manga thread is more appropriate if you wanna discuss season 1. The show is much more nuanced than the first season makes it seem. If you post about it in the community thread, I'll probably join in at some point.

(respectfully :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:)

Bruh this is a thread for discussion of the 4th season.

The community anime / manga thread is more appropriate if you wanna discuss season 1. The show is much more nuanced than the first season makes it seem. If you post about it in the community thread, I'll probably join in at some point.

(respectfully :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:)
Eh just giving my opinion on the show and see if someone can justify that twist to me and convince me to give it another go. I didn't know they had an AOT community thread. Maybe I will post there

O-N-E

Eh just giving my opinion on the show and see if someone can justify that twist to me and convince me to give it another go. I didn't know they had an AOT community thread. Maybe I will post there

You want full spoilers? Cause otherwise, I’m not sure how I’m suppose to convince you that one of the central mysteries of the show isn’t “dumb”.

Not really sure what you find to be dumb about the titans in the wall twist to begin with. It’s just meant to intrigue you and add another layer to the mystery around the titan relationship with humanity behind the walls.

It’s not a show about exterminating mindless monsters.

You want full spoilers? Cause otherwise, I’m not sure how I’m suppose to convince you that one of the central mysteries of the show isn’t “dumb”.

Not really sure what you find to be dumb about the titans in the wall twist to begin with. It’s just meant to intrigue you and add another layer to the mystery around the titan relationship with humanity behind the walls.

It’s not a show about exterminating mindless monsters.
It's dumb because the very enemies that they are the most terrified of are actually within the wall of the city they live in. You can private message full spoilers if you wish to change my mind.

Dis

I read the manga!

One revelation touched me so bad legit made me cry
And yes! i cant wait to see everyones reaction during other revelations.

Didnt know april will be the last chapter. Every chapter is so lit my god

Everything has meaning in this anime. Every question will be answered to the core. There will be 0 plotholes. 0. You need to find out whats in the basement!

I read the manga!

One revelation touched me so bad legit made me cry
And yes! i cant wait to see everyones reaction during other revelations.

Didnt know april will be the last chapter. Every chapter is so lit my god

Everything has meaning in this anime. Every question will be answered to the core. There will be 0 plotholes. 0. You need to find out whats in the basement!
Hmmm is there a dubbed version of the other seasons?

O-N-E

It's dumb because the very enemies that they are the most terrified of are actually within the wall of the city they live in. You can private message full spoilers if you wish to change my mind.

I can spoiler here - what you found dumb, many found intriguing. I’d suggest just watching the show, but here’s the gist -

The answer is that the Titans are not the enemy of humanity behind the walls. They are in fact their brethren, transformed against their will and set against their own kind. Humans who can transform into titans are part of a race known as Eldians who are hated by nearly all humanity. The nation of Marley has it’s own camps where they keep Eldians and from them, use a select few as titan weapons. These are the intelligent titan warriors like Annie, the armoured titan, and colossal. They’ve been sent to capture the founding titan, who retreated behind the 3 walls on paradis island (which is geographically, an inverted Madagascar - look up the Madagascar plan). With the founding Titan, comes control of all other titans. He can control the memory of the Eldians as well.

I tried to keep enough out of that to salvage some reveal enjoyment.

I can spoiler here - what you found dumb, many found intriguing. I’d suggest just watching the show, but here’s the gist -

The answer is that the Titans are not the enemy of humanity behind the walls. They are in fact their brethren, transformed against their will and set against their own kind. Humans who can transform into titans are part of a race known as Eldians who are hated by nearly all humanity. The nation of Marley has it’s own camps where they keep Eldians and from them, use a select few as titan weapons. These are the intelligent titan warriors like Annie, the armoured titan, and colossal. They’ve been sent to capture the founding titan, who retreated behind the 3 walls on paradis island (which is geographically, an inverted Madagascar - look up the Madagascar plan). With the founding Titan, comes control of all other titans. He can control the memory of the Eldians as well.

I tried to keep enough out of that to salvage some reveal enjoyment.
Well I kind of figured that but why would they keep them in the wall?

O-N-E

Well I kind of figured that but why would they keep them in the wall?

There’s a hardening Titan power, and they’re a contingent in a way. The King who held the founding Titan and formed the walls warned humanity not to mess with his kingdom, or else the titans within the wall will trample the world. Those particular titans are still somewhat mysterious in the series. The show isn’t over.

There’s a hardening Titan power, and they’re a contingent in a way. The King who held the founding Titan and formed the walls warned humanity not to mess with his kingdom, or else the titans within the wall will trample the world. Those particular titans are still somewhat mysterious in the series. The show isn’t over.
Hmm, perhaps I will give it another go. Are the other season dubbed?

GAMETA

Banned
Well, all you need to know is that there's intention to everything, every mistery, every action, every plot twist.... it's a story about war and hate, with amazing action scenes and some philosophy regarding the human will and humanity...

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun

Durask

This manga/anime is full of Chekhov's guns. That's one of the things that is good about it - many chapters later you go "Oh, that's why...".

• Fire

Durask

Wow, major spoilers above.

I think after season 1 you learn that
1. Things are obviously not what they seem.
2. Asking too many questions is not encouraged - from mid-episode information blurbs you learn, for example, that people who ask too many questions (for example how the walls are made etc) tend to disappear.

The year 784...

One blistering hot night, a miner decided to dig under Wall Sina, to live within the inner ring. "Life in Wall Sina would be pretty nice." That thought had come to him suddenly a few days ago, as he dug with his shovel, deep in a coal mine. In a way, you could call it divine inspiration. And so, for the next few days, he wandered along the wall, finally settling on a spot where the dense forest pressed against it. No one would chance upon him, and the overhead leaves would shelter him and his task from the prying eyes of the guards above.

On the next night, he began. Using his trusty shovel, the miner began to dig. The work went smoothly, and before long, the pit was as deep as he was tall. When he could no longer fling dirt outside it, he stuffed it into sacks, climbing a ladder to discard it. Completely dedicated to the task at hand, he took only a few short breaks to drink water and to ease his weary muscles.

After spending twenty years of his life digging without a day of rest, the miner knew he was an expert at it. And during that time, he'd learned to dig deeper, more quickly, and more efficiently than anyone else. Tunnels that would stump any other miner were no match for his shovel. But that day was different. He dug for hours, yet never seemed to get anywhere. As he dug, he probed to either side of the main pit with his shovel, but it was of no use. The wall's foundation seemed to go down forever, deep into the earth, blocking his path at every turn. Still he persevered.

Any thought of digging his way to an easy life inside Wall Sina had been long forgotten. He simply wanted to conquer the wall. "I'm willing to bet all the years I've spent digging that I will beat this wall," he said to himself, wiping the sweat from his brow. The hole was more than four or five times the miner's height when he struck hard rock. He wondered, "Bedrock?" But it appeared to be of the same material as the wall's foundation itself. The miner swung his shovel down hard on the rock. The shovel shattered, but the rock was unscathed. The miner sighed, and his sigh was deeper than any hole he'd dug in the previous twenty years.

With a frown, his friend questioned, "The Wall?" "It's weird, isn't?" the miner said, lifting his drink to his lips. "Who knew that the wall went so deep underground?" The pair sat across from one another at a table in the back if a tavern in a seedy part of town. Most days, the miner would go there with his friend, his only friend, after work.

That day, the day after he'd tried to dig under the wall, they'd gone there as usual, once the workday was done. And then, the miner told his friend the story, certain that his friend could keep a secret. "Maybe we're surrounded by walls not only above the ground, but below the ground, too." said the miner. "Tell me something... What, exactly, are the walls?" His friend cut him off with a cough, glancing around the tavern. The patrons were all busy drinking, hitting on the tavern maid, or yelling at one another. No one was watching them. But even so, the miner decided not to say another word about it. If anyone heard him, the Military Police would be there in an instant. "Does it really matter?" his friend asked. "Just keep on living here as you always have. You're poor, but you have a job every day, and enough money that you can drink. Inst that enough?" "Yeah," the miner replied. "Yeah, it is. I'll go back to digging. In the end, I guess that's my lot in life."

But the next day, the miner didn't show up for work. Not the next... Nor the day after that. His friend went to his house many times, but never saw any sign of him. the miner had no relatives, nor other close friends, so there was no one to ask where he might have gone. Unsure what to do, his friend eventually went to the Garrison, and told them the whole story. The next day, the Military Police and the Garrison organized a large-scale search party. It was a little excessive for one poor miner, even if that miner was a criminal who'd tried to pass under the walls. His friend couldn't understand why they were so bent on finding him. But they never found a trace of the miner, nor even the pit he'd dug. And one day, his friend also vanished, never to be seen again.

• Fire

Dis

JoTtEaa.jpg

Last edited:

O-N-E

Sixth Episode (65) - The Warhammer Titan

• Tybur set the bait so that current military heads were easy to obliterate and new staff could be installed later. Also, make enemies of all nations.
  • It looks like it was Eren's choice whether they'd go through with the attack and he'd set the tone for the aggression involved. He decided to go all out.
  • Scout team flying through and picking people off like it's nothing. Menacing as fuck.
  • Mikasa one-manning the Warhammer titan was pretty boss
  • Looks like Eren learned how to analyze the situation quickly from Armin and make a decision on the go. Warhammer's weakness found in short time.
  • Levi coming in for the clutch save.
  • That's right, Galliard. you're not dealing with any pansy humans. You're dealing with the demons of Paradis!

Episode art:

ErxwpQbVEAYPGmv

Wvrs

I think that was great. Some panels from the manga weren't realised as well as I'd have liked (I feel like the situation looks worse for Eren in the manga so Mikasa's sudden entrance is more hype, and the ending shot of all the scouts above the Jaw is cooler looking) but generally I think the studio pulled it off well.

LordOfChaos

Warhammer Titan episode was great, best this season.

While it brought the hype, I do have to say I still find myself wishing it was WIT studio, some of the most important titan battle scenes being CGI was jarringly distracting, but when the Scouts rolled in, Pieck shitting her pants at hearing the familiar zipping sounds, Levi's entrance with Galliard, those were amazing. Hopefully as we go on the most important stuff was given the most time animation wise, but this is still some of the best TV ever.

LordOfChaos

Hmmm is there a dubbed version of the other seasons?
I watched the first season n Netflix. Wish they would put the rest there. Posted this without reading the thread.

It's free on crunchyroll with ads if you don't want to pay for Funimation. Yes the dub got up to the first episode or two of season 4 (and yes I prefer the sub, fitting dialogue to animation not meant for it can make for some cringy moments, but you do what you prefer). It's over a month behind I think, and manga readers with sad lives are lurking everywhere trying to spoil everything so be warned. I'm gobbling up every new sub episode as it comes out lol.

O-N-E

Seventh Episode (66) - Assault
  • Panzer team is real threat to 3DM team
  • Reiner unconcious due to loss of the will to live. Just saved Falco and went to sleep.
  • Eren has a lot of stamina to keep transforming. Maybe that's part of the Attack Titan's power?
  • Levi is such a boss, everyone on the other side knows to be on the lookout for him specifically
  • Armin nuking the port. Oh yeah. They didn't know for sure if Paradis team had the knowledge to gain Bertholt's Colossal Titan. Surprise!
  • Sasha with the bullseye marksmanship. Yay potato girl.
  • Jean is actually usueful in a fight! Coming in with style...Nice.
  • Armin reflects on the carnage and relates it to Bertholt's experience.
  • Jean is the one who couldn't kill a human back in season 3. Now he doesn't hesitate to lob a missile at Falco.
  • Oh shit. Jaw Titan's claws can damage the crystal enclosure of Warhammer Titan.
  • I knew about the zeplin due to the posters. Still really cool to see them come in. That's what the light setups were for in the previous ep.
  • Armin and Hange acknowledge that this is a crazy Erwin level plan and they can't afford to screw it up
  • What the FUCK. EREN IS A FUCKING MONSTER. Look what he did to Galliard! Look at how he just used mopped the floor with him. Used him as a fucking tool. And now the Warhammer is His!
  • A plea for help from Reiner.

Again... just Awesome. One of the best eps in the show. I was fucking laughing from the hype.

Edit: At the very least tied to or even surpasses "Hero" for most hype episode of the show.

Episode art:

EsVuYMuUUAAp3ta

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

-Eren is fucking scary. Using Galliard as a nutcracker and waiting for the blood like a junkie. Baka should have had time to eat Jaw though, but plot armor
-They can't have made the Zeppelin with only maybe three years of spying on Marley, and they seem to have acquired a black friend...So others helping them? Other nations? Or Marley people who stole the Zeppelin and defected?
-Is it me or did Reiner's titan look like sexy squidward? Was his armor an upgrade or a downgrade?
-That seemed...Way too easy for Levi vs Monke. Can't be all surely.
-NUKE BOY
-Why is everyone sexy now, I'm straight, I think!

While the plot is still riveting I do have to say I wish WIT could complete their work, Mappa is doing an admirable job under the time pressure, but the Ackermans flying around Monke didn't have a bead on Levi vs Monke last season

Last edited:

O-N-E

-They can't have made the Zeppelin with only maybe three years of spying on Marley, and they seem to have acquired a black friend...So others helping them? Other nations? Or Marley people who stole the Zeppelin and defected?

Yeah, I think they're getting help from the outside world. At the very least from the Asian lady Udo ran into during Tybur's party. Probably others as well.

O-N-E

Seeing most of it from the other side's perspective doesn't quite work for me. I don't care about these characters and I'm fine with Eren eating all of them.

Lol, that's actually pretty funny.

But it's worked wonderfully for me. Hypus maximus.

Seeing Eren destroy Galliard and Reiner in the sorry state he is and Gabi / Falco desperately crying for help did bring up quite a bit of sympathy from me (oh and Pieck being bombed to a bloody pulp by Jean and co.). It's a both sides situation now and it's great.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Seeing most of it from the other side's perspective doesn't quite work for me. I don't care about these characters and I'm fine with Eren eating all of them.

While I like the perspective shift, I can't sympathize with people saying they're all in the same boat or Eren is the villain.

Marley suppressed progress and information in Paradis for 100 years, and made the last few years of their life a living hell, and then on top of that had just declared full scale war on Paradis under false pretenses, even after admitting to the previous false pretenses. A couple of kids wrecked Paradis, in a full scale war on the island Marley would assuredly win, so they took the fight back to Marley and made it a surprise.

Not the same at all. Eren is ruthless, but he's in it to win, he takes no joy in the civilian casualties, but it's not the same at all. Gabbi is clearly supposed to be his analogue, but she's full of hate and propaganda, that sucks and it's not her fault, but the Paradis crew just want freedom.

They said it this episode - it's an Erwin tier plan. He'd probably have more finesse, but would also not stop at anything in the way of freedom and truth. Also it was Tybur's/Marleys plan that they would maximize civilian casualties for sympathy, pretty much like a terrorist organization launching attacks from a school or hospital, Eren just went for the military bench but the debris killed a lot of people.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
While I like the perspective shift, I can't sympathize with people saying they're all in the same boat or Eren is the villain.

Marley suppressed progress and information in Paradis for 100 years, and made the last few years of their life a living hell, and then on top of that had just declared full scale war on Paradis under false pretenses, even after admitting to the previous false pretenses.

Not the same at all. Eren is ruthless, but he's in it to win, he takes no joy in the civilian casualties, but it's not the same at all. Gabbi is clearly supposed to be his analogue, but she's full of hate and propaganda, that sucks and it's not her fault, but the Paradis crew just want freedom.

They said it this episode - it's an Erwin tier plan. He'd probably have more finesse, but would also not stop at anything in the way of freedom and truth.
It's a completely justified war, yeah.

O-N-E

They said it this episode - it's an Erwin tier plan. He'd probably have more finesse, but would also not stop at anything in the way of freedom and truth. Also it was Tybur's/Marleys plan that they would maximize civilian casualties for sympathy, pretty much like a terrorist organization launching attacks from a school or hospital, Eren just went for the military bench but the debris killed a lot of people.

Yeah, under Erwin's instructions, Eren killed a bunch of Paradis citizens in the capital as a byproduct of trapping and fighting the Female Titan. He's at least somewhat familiar with this.

There's still enough complexities and nuance to this that I feel sorry for the people that were led astray and are now feeling the full brutal force of the Paradis demons.

I hate that Paradis took even a single casualty this episode. Marley is pure evil and I look forward to Eren fulfilling his promise of killing every last one of them.

royox

I think the point is to show that Eren and his friends ended up not being much diferent than Reiner, Annie and Bert when they attacked the Maria Wall.

That said I'm also 100% fine with Eren eating and crushing all of them lol.

LordOfChaos

'Fuck yeah Reiner go get em'

Never in a million years would I have thought that could be my perspective in this show but here we are lol

I feel a little sorry for Reiner and Bertholt, but it's any potential Zeke redemption I'm really not ready for. He most of anyone seemed to relish in killing the Paradis folks, while the others struggled to the point of personality disorder (not sure about Annie, may just be a sociopath). But there's something really weird going on with how he went down and the timing thing.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
CG overusage is bad. Fuck Kodansha for not letting MAPPA have more time on this show cuz it looks so bad and yet the Internet is eating it up. Anime clown world is real.

Trying to enjoy the narrative as best I can through the poor production, I actually like Gabi who rhymes with Abby. 😏

LordOfChaos

CG overusage is bad. Fuck Kodansha for not letting MAPPA have more time on this show cuz it looks so bad and yet the Internet is eating it up. Anime clown world is real.

Trying to enjoy the narrative as best I can through the poor production, I actually like Gabi who rhymes with Abby. 😏

I do wish WIT could have finished their work, or if it was MAPPA they weren't rushed with two animes. Sad reality of the anime world.

On the plus side, I don't think this can be the end in 16 episodes, manga readers saying there's too much to cover. Maybe split in two parts again like season 3, or maybe ending in a movie? I'd love it to really stick the landing with a balls to the wall movie budget and time for animation, like Broly was vastly better animated than DBS.

Irobot82

I just do not care about these people dying. We spent so many episodes of them destroying our heroes and now I am supposed to care? Nah I'm good. They can all die.

GymWolf

How can this be the final season when the manga is still going and the 7th episode barely cover chapter 100?!

I mean call it 4th season not final season...

Top Bottom