• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

https://reeltoreelwarehouse.com/brand_info/agfa/ Polish tapes look like they are a type two. Obviously some binding tech or other chemicals were worse than Agfa's since it can shed even if they use similar formula. But generally soundwise there are in my top ten, even top five sounding tapes. Honestly if it didn't shed it would be my go to tape...

It's like my reel to reel was factory biased for this tape. I was more than amazed when I gave it ago, it just blew me away.

BTW I ordered my first original Agfa tape and it doesn't shed.

Input B is CD, Input A reel-to-reel. Dubbing from B to A means sound is going through my Akai, recording with tape monitor on means even if I'm recording I can check real time how the the sound records on the tape.

Analog to analog.

Edit: Ordered my first splicing block on ali. And a spool of leader tape. I got some older tape from USA without leader tape, and RTM LPR35 new production tape, they are also without leader tape.

Last edited:
Had a quick question that someone might be able to steer me in the right direction. Is there a forum that discusses records, CDs, cassettes? This group helped me get my audio system up and running but not sure if Gaf had a section for the physical media we listen to and discuss.

Had a quick question that someone might be able to steer me in the right direction. Is there a forum that discusses records, CDs, cassettes? This group helped me get my audio system up and running but not sure if Gaf had a section for the physical media we listen to and discuss.
Tapeheads for cassette or reel-to-reel tapes. Basically any deck too.
Discogs has a sale-market and I think forum for records- there are also ratings for different pressings and users can comment on those too.
You might want to check Audiokarma too.

Anyways what do you want to know about physical media? I have tape deck, record player, reel-to-reel and CD player. I guess I can talk about anything including streaming :messenger_sunglasses: .

Last edited:
Tapeheads for cassette or reel-to-reel tapes. Basically any deck too.
Discogs has a sale-market and I think forum for records- there are also ratings for different pressings and users can comment on those too.
You might want to check Audiokarma too.

Anyways what do you want to know about physical media? I have tape deck, record player, reel-to-reel and CD player. I guess I can talk about anything including streaming :messenger_sunglasses: .
Thank you for the advice. Mainly asking due to the fact that I am currently in Japan visiting family and have been going around to second hand shops here picking up records and CDs that I can’t get back in the USA 🇺🇸. Was hoping to get some recommendations on which records sounded best that were pressed in Japan? Or any CDs that may only be available in Asia. Record collection is on the small side (about 20 albums and 5 singles). Mostly looking for rock, pop, soul from the 60’s- 90’s. Keep seeing “Dark Side of the Moon” here but wasn’t sure if UK or Germany made better versions. Any info would be appreciated since I only have about a week left before I fly back home.

Thank you for the advice. Mainly asking due to the fact that I am currently in Japan visiting family and have been going around to second hand shops here picking up records and CDs that I can’t get back in the USA 🇺🇸. Was hoping to get some recommendations on which records sounded best that were pressed in Japan? Or any CDs that may only be available in Asia. Record collection is on the small side (about 20 albums and 5 singles). Mostly looking for rock, pop, soul from the 60’s- 90’s. Keep seeing “Dark Side of the Moon” here but wasn’t sure if UK or Germany made better versions. Any info would be appreciated since I only have about a week left before I fly back home.
Discogs is your go to site then. Huge database of pressings of records, CDs, cassettes. User ratings, sometimes comments/reviews. If it's a new record or has EAN code, you just download the app on your phone. Hit the EAN icon near search button. Use your camera in your phone and it just insta searches correct pressing or edition. If its old pressing just type the numbers on sleeve or on label if the seller agrees you can view the record, you can even search by MATRIX / RUNOUT if you can view it, it will be the most accurate for old records to pinpoint the exact pressing and therefor user ratings of those records.

For example my Dark Side of The Moon pressing - MATRIX / RUNOUT is exact same match

Reviews are at the bottom and on the right are user ratings /stats. Just below the "For Sale" tab.

Ratings: https://www.discogs.com/release/stats/13475020

Direct link to stats.

Obviously you always see those lower stats by 1 or 2 people. But if for example there are 50 5/5 grades or 180 or 200 and you see two people rate it as let's say 2. I will believe those 200 people that this is a 5/5 pressing.

My Dark Side of The Moon pressing is superb. Can't honestly not say it's a 5/5 because it is.

Compared it briefly with newest pressing I got for my brother on Christmas and I can say for sure it isn't much behind if at all, some things it does better than new press. Which is insane.

I have a few Japanese pressings or records, can confirm they sound awesome.

Some have OBI, some don't - generally if I saw a japanese press dirt cheap in EX shape even without OBI I have always bought them.

I have also a bunch of Dutch / Holland / Netherlands pressings and they also are quite superb. Can confirm they sometimes are as good as japanese pressings but are priced like I don't know regular generic german press or repress even. So quite low.

In fact my Dark Side of The moon pressing is from Netherlands. And I bought it as low as $12 to $18 back in the day, in EX condition so better than VG, slightly less graded than NM.

Generally I heard a bit of advice in the past. If you buy a record for example band is from USA and you buy USA press it will be superb, if the band is from UK and you buy UK press it will be superb. So generally look for pressings from the bands origin, then japanese pressings, then Holland pressings :messenger_sunglasses: .

If you're in Japan search for City Pop / City Pop Funk records - I'm insane about those.

Husband of Mariya Takeuchi

Not exactly City Pop but Masami Tsuchiya played a bit in Japan with David Sylvian and Mick Karn. You can hear the fretless bass was inspired by Mick style.

You might wanna search for some Moe't - Momoe Shimano while in Japan

Her work with LIBRO back in 1998

and the amazing DJ KIYO REMIX
https://soundcloud.com/selfmade-totsu/libro-dj-kiyo-remix-hq !!!

Edit:

I have the same obsession with Italo Disco / Eurobeat.

It's quite popular in Japan. You may find some really good gems there. I'm jealous.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Dunno how popular is Shing02 in Japan. But he's in my top rappers ever - Shingo Annen. You could look for his records too or CDs. Dude is insane. Sings in English and Japanese. From agile flow, to poetry like lyrics, to some pretty fat rap beats - he has everything covered. Shame he isn't so well known.

Lot's of audio gear in the background :pie_starstruck:.

Discogs is your go to site then. Huge database of pressings of records, CDs, cassettes. User ratings, sometimes comments/reviews. If it's a new record or has EAN code, you just download the app on your phone. Hit the EAN icon near search button. Use your camera in your phone and it just insta searches correct pressing or edition. If its old pressing just type the numbers on sleeve or on label if the seller agrees you can view the record, you can even search by MATRIX / RUNOUT if you can view it, it will be the most accurate for old records to pinpoint the exact pressing and therefor user ratings of those records.

For example my Dark Side of The Moon pressing - MATRIX / RUNOUT is exact same match

Reviews are at the bottom and on the right are user ratings /stats. Just below the "For Sale" tab.

Ratings: https://www.discogs.com/release/stats/13475020

Direct link to stats.

Obviously you always see those lower stats by 1 or 2 people. But if for example there are 50 5/5 grades or 180 or 200 and you see two people rate it as let's say 2. I will believe those 200 people that this is a 5/5 pressing.

My Dark Side of The Moon pressing is superb. Can't honestly not say it's a 5/5 because it is.

Compared it briefly with newest pressing I got for my brother on Christmas and I can say for sure it isn't much behind if at all, some things it does better than new press. Which is insane.

I have a few Japanese pressings or records, can confirm they sound awesome.

Some have OBI, some don't - generally if I saw a japanese press dirt cheap in EX shape even without OBI I have always bought them.

I have also a bunch of Dutch / Holland / Netherlands pressings and they also are quite superb. Can confirm they sometimes are as good as japanese pressings but are priced like I don't know regular generic german press or repress even. So quite low.

In fact my Dark Side of The moon pressing is from Netherlands. And I bought it as low as $12 to $18 back in the day, in EX condition so better than VG, slightly less graded than NM.

Generally I heard a bit of advice in the past. If you buy a record for example band is from USA and you buy USA press it will be superb, if the band is from UK and you buy UK press it will be superb. So generally look for pressings from the bands origin, then japanese pressings, then Holland pressings :messenger_sunglasses: .

If you're in Japan search for City Pop / City Pop Funk records - I'm insane about those.

Husband of Mariya Takeuchi

Not exactly City Pop but Masami Tsuchiya played a bit in Japan with David Sylvian and Mick Karn. You can hear the fretless bass was inspired by Mick style.

You might wanna search for some Moe't - Momoe Shimano while in Japan

Her work with LIBRO back in 1998

and the amazing DJ KIYO REMIX
https://soundcloud.com/selfmade-totsu/libro-dj-kiyo-remix-hq !!!

Edit:

I have the same obsession with Italo Disco / Eurobeat.

It's quite popular in Japan. You may find some really good gems there. I'm jealous.

Happy hunting!

Wow! Thank you for all the useful information. I’ll do my best to make the most out of the last few days I got to hopefully find some gems 💎!

Wow! Thank you for all the useful information. I’ll do my best to make the most out of the last few days I got to hopefully find some gems 💎!
You might wanna try to hunt for some classic BUCK-TICK. Early albums were very awesome- although kind of lq masters.

Kind of punkish.

Mid-albums they had this pretty cool goth vibe. And also gorgeous sound masters, in my top 5 for sure.

Dunno who mastered those but I'm always amazed by sound of electric guitars and bass guitar is top-notch.

BTW. Be sure to listen to Sasayaki on headphones, lmao. It has pretty bad lyrics - if someone speaks japanese in your family they may look weird at you...

I don't like their new tracks though.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Yo Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage . These Final E4000s are sounding great but the cable leaves a lot to be desired and that is one of the main comments from HeadFi reviews.

Any recommendations? This is actually the first pair of IEMs I have with detachable cables. I really prefer on ear or over ear cans but I use IEMs in the office.

Thanks,

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yo Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage . These Final E4000s are sounding great but the cable leaves a lot to be desired and that is one of the main comments from HeadFi reviews.

Any recommendations? This is actually the first pair of IEMs I have with detachable cables. I really prefer on ear or over ear cans but I use IEMs in the office.

Thanks,
I honestly don't have much experience in the cable world, let alone cables on IEMs. I'm a bit of a cable skeptic tho, so I would err on the side of budget friendly.

Speaking of shitty cables I decided to DIY my own RCA interconnects. I'm excited to DIY it already but I'll wait a bit.

I'm currently working in my room, a bit of refreshing and rearranging at hand.

When I'll be done, shortly after that my loudspeakers will be on 35cm stands - so I am quite excited. Possibly tomorrow already :messenger_sunglasses: .

Not long after that I will have a new and longer desk- probably next month. And then I will get to work on RCA interconnects.

I already bought a nice shielded microphone OFC raw cable with extra flexible wire and a few pairs of Neutrik Rean RCA plugs. But since I will be changing desk and position of all my audio equipment... I need to wait a bit to do those with custom length.

Honestly can't wait, just comparing my current RCA cables with the raw cable I got, there's a huge difference in quality and stiffness.

The one I bought to do my custom ones feels really nice. And is extra flexible- it blows my mind how large the difference is.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I honestly don't have much experience in the cable world, let alone cables on IEMs. I'm a bit of a cable skeptic tho, so I would err on the side of budget friendly.

Thanks, these ones just feel thin. I dont imagine the cables make a difference sound wise but i would like sometihg that feels a bit more quality to match what i think are the quality of the IEMs.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Thanks, these ones just feel thin. I dont imagine the cables make a difference sound wise but i would like sometihg that feels a bit more quality to match what i think are the quality of the IEMs.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I hated the standard cable that came with the KZ ZS10 Pro IEMs but never got around to replacing them. When I got the Diokos, that cable was far superior in terms of build quality, so I just swap that one out whenever I use either pair. Though, I don't really use any headphones anymore.

It does look like there may be some options here for straight cables on the Linsoul website, if you're not opposed to Chi-Fi

It is done my dudes 🐸.

Still no new desk and I have to re-arange a bit in the later time and find place for my tt - but I will get there. Then DIY RCA interconnects.

In the mean time I still got to work on my workshop- because my tools multiply and I still have no workspace to well work on restoration stuff...

I have some ideas besides wood work. But I need some space.

Ikea Lack 35x35 as budget stands. FINALLY, no floor reflections :messenger_bicep:.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Anyone try the new Sony pluse Elites?
Kinda interested just to see what Planar magnetic headphones sound like. I would never leave the house them if I ever bought them though lol.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anyone try the new Sony pluse Elites?
Kinda interested just to see what Planar magnetic headphones sound like. I would never leave the house them if I ever bought them though lol.

I bought a pair of planar IEMs because I was curious. Basically the mid and high frequencies sound insanely good but the bass is thin. Probably decent for gaming but without a subwoofer or another means to drive bass, this will be their biggest weakness. My experience is based from music only though.

Reallink

I thought we could dump on this dumb article here. Where we know the difference.

The article is correct, high bitrate modern codec mp3's are effectively transparent as a practical matter, and even if you can pick out an infinitesimal difference in a short segment of a certain track, it's not clear which is "better".

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The article is correct, high bitrate modern codec mp3's are effectively transparent as a practical matter, and even if you can pick out an infinitesimal difference in a short segment of a certain track, it's not clear which is "better".

Mp3 works for me 80% of the time. I can only hear the white noise they introduce when I am actively listening (giving 100% focus to the music). Maybe it's just me getting older, but I find myself spending way less time actively listening.

I always had a difficult time describing what the difference was as I did and still honestly do lack the words to describe the sound. Here's an example of the isolated compression done on an mp3. It's essentially white noise/static in place of the actual sample. To me, how this changes the song is by making the details far less (duh) but it also removes some of the depth of the instrumentation, which also makes sense given what is happening with the compression.

Edit: Ordered my first splicing block on ali. And a spool of leader tape. I got some older tape from USA without leader tape, and RTM LPR35 new production tape, they are also without leader tape.

RTM LPR 35 -> https://www.thomann.de/pl/rtm_lpr_35_1_4_549m_trident.htm or https://www.amazon.co.uk/RTM-LPR35-magnetic-audio-recording/dp/B0BXPPPFZ5?th=1. DIY spliced leader tapes since splice block has arrived.

Process of splicing on Capitol tape from the 70s :messenger_fistbump:.

EpWwvt9.png
6VdqqfB.jpg

Test running the tape

Smells a bit like the old books, lmao. Doesn't have a sticky-shed syndrome.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Mp3 works for me 80% of the time. I can only hear the white noise they introduce when I am actively listening (giving 100% focus to the music). Maybe it's just me getting older, but I find myself spending way less time actively listening.

I always had a difficult time describing what the difference was as I did and still honestly do lack the words to describe the sound. .

I always consider the audiophile hobby and gear a nice luxury. I dont begrudge anyone who wants to spend top dollar on any gear, its awesome! I personally just like to have a nice DAC, a nice AMP, some nice headphones or speakers and especially a nice source 320 or better FLAC. The DAC and AMP dont have to be big budget. I am sure I would fail any critical listening tests lol.

I always consider the audiophile hobby and gear a nice luxury. I dont begrudge anyone who wants to spend top dollar on any gear, its awesome! I personally just like to have a nice DAC, a nice AMP, some nice headphones or speakers and especially a nice source 320 or better FLAC. The DAC and AMP dont have to be big budget. I am sure I would fail any critical listening tests lol.
Im same. Happy enough with 320, but do have flac along with cds (hardly use) and vinyl. Have decent speakers, and like my headphones at my desk and DACs (got a zen dac v1 for headphones and zen signature for hifi). My gear isnt top end, but good enough for me.

Do not read this spoiler if low bitrate offends you.
I have to admit I do have some sub 128 mp3s, sound is poor but the track is a demo or live version and cant be found anywhere, as such I can enjoy it even if its not deemed audiophile, its purely about the music.

Just looking at expanding my gear as fancy some IEMs (and a qudelix 5k) for work as hate wearing headphones in work (head band flattens my hair where band has been and annoys me).

Chittagong

Gold Member
Enjoying my first weekend back in London after six months in French Polynesia

iMd7ImF.jpg

Cambridge Audio Azur 851N streamer
Schiit Yggdrasil OG DAC
Schiit Ragnarok 2 amp
Hifiman HE-1000 headphones
Tidal Hifi Plus

My trusty Hifimans haven’t still been bested. Enjoy them more than my Sennheiser HD820s.

Considering trying the Susvara this year for my DCS Lina rig in French Polynesia, but not sure if it’s as buttery smooth. If not, maybe I just get another pair of these :D

Top Bottom