• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

Sega Orphan

Banned
Anyone looking for a best value wireless headphones, you need to look at the Soundcore range.
Their Life Q10 headphones don't have ANC, but the quality of the sound for the money is ridiculous. They also have bass up technology for the bass heads.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
My Current Primary Listening Setup:
Rec/Amp: Yahmaha AX2000
Vinyl: nope
Speakers: Martin Logan Aris Surround and center are also Martin Logan
Sub: Martin Logan

Buggy Loop

Fucking yes, received my Jotunheim 2 + Bifrost 2 in black color today after like 6 weeks of waiting.

Huge huge step up from the schiit stack i had before i feel.

Reallink

Anyone looking for a best value wireless headphones, you need to look at the Soundcore range.
Their Life Q10 headphones don't have ANC, but the quality of the sound for the money is ridiculous. They also have bass up technology for the bass heads.

The JBL Tune 710 ($60-70) has a Harman Curve preference rating in the high 80's IIRC when used in the active BT mode. The passive 3.5mm AUX mode is probably much worse if that's your use case though

Last edited:

benno

I love that he hammers home audio memory isn't a real thing.
Shame he doesn't hammer home that the rest of what he says is utter bollocks too.

in other news, my current setup:

PrismSound Callia
PSI A25M
DT990 pro phones
Marian D4 PCIe AES soundcard in PC

rwQdci.jpg

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

Genelec seems to have had some patents expire. Arguing that injection molded Polyurethan speakers are something good is laughable, its literally the cheapest way of doing this - at least Genelec is making them out of solid Aluminum.
2K$ stands "because they are covered in plastic ", uhh. And wtf does exponential absorbers even mean?

Last edited:

benno

What did he say in the video that you take issue with?
Not just that video, most of them.

1. Places small speakers - like the ones in the video - in the same spot he places larger floor standers then says they're bass light and spends the rest of the video swapping out £5k amplifiers and DACs to try and balance the system rather than just push the speakers a bit closer to the walls.

2. Spends thousands on what must be the shittest job ever at room acoustic treatment. No bass traps, 5cm thick panels and diffusers. Might as well just cover your room in cheap foam.

3. Claims to hear differences in placing pucks on CD players, Amps and DACs and those little anti-vibration pads under speakers.

4. Always pushes his favourite previously sponsored video boutique brands but never mentions or compares them to the larger brands like Pass Labs, Classé Audio, Primere etc etc. Basically his references are bits of gear you've got no chance of hearing unless you order yourself from this one shop in Belgium which stocks them, so just pointless.

Should I go on?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

1. Places small speakers - like the ones in the video - in the same spot he places larger floor standers then says they're bass light and spends the rest of the video swapping out £5k amplifiers and DACs to try and balance the system rather than just push the speakers a bit closer to the walls.

2. Spends thousands on what must be the shittest job ever at room acoustic treatment. No bass traps, 5cm thick panels and diffusers. Might as well just cover your room in cheap foam.

3. Claims to hear differences in placing pucks on CD players, Amps and DACs and those little anti-vibration pads under speakers.

4. Always pushes his favourite previously sponsored video boutique brands but never mentions or compares them to the larger brands like Pass Labs, Classé Audio, Primere etc etc. Basically his references are bits of gear you've got no chance of hearing unless you order yourself from this one shop in Belgium which stocks them, so just pointless.

Should I go on?
No, we can agree to disagree.

manfestival

Should I go on?
Is this just ranting for the sake of ranting?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
what do you disagree with?
I don't have a strong opinion on points 1 & 2; I trust he knows his space well enough to manage.
I don't recall him ever making claims like you say on point 3 and it generally goes against his advice from what I've watched.
And point 4, he's addressed several times--he doesn't do comparisons unless he has the gear right there in front of him.

I get the impression you're arguing against a straw man, so let's agree to disagree.

benno

do you ever watch videos by this guy.. I prefer him much more to Darko, mainly he seems to know what he's talking about and gives rational explanations to subjects like cables etc.

And just had a nice delivery of a pair of 3.5m XLRs , never received a pair of cables individually wrapped in their own little bag before. weird shit.

Since this thread is pretty much dead. Might as well post some of my old systems for you to nosey over :). As you can tell I had a little bit of a box swapping addiction. I cured it by going active speakers and DAC.

t2AcSr.jpg

Primare I30 amp
Primare CD21 CD player
Quad 22L2 speakers

t2AXwF.jpg

Pass Labs X2 preamp with (off image - Primare A32 power amp)
Xindak DAC-8 DAC
Martin Logan Aerius 2 speakers

t2AG0q.jpg

Dussun V8i amp
Esound E5 CD player
Michell Syncro Turntable
Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers

t2Axp0.jpg

Modwright SWL 9.0 preamp
Classé Audio CA201 power amp
MHDT Havana DAC
Dali Helicon 400 speakers

There's been a lot more over the years. These are just the ones I found the images for.

edit: Current full piccy

Last edited:
do you ever watch videos by this guy.. I prefer him much more to Darko, mainly he seems to know what he's talking about and gives rational explanations to subjects like cables etc.

And just had a nice delivery of a pair of 3.5m XLRs , never received a pair of cables individually wrapped in their own little bag before. weird shit.

Since this thread is pretty much dead. Might as well post some of my old systems for you to nosey over :). As you can tell I had a little bit of a box swapping addiction. I cured it by going active speakers and DAC.

t2AcSr.jpg

Primare I30 amp
Primare CD21 CD player
Quad 22L2 speakers

t2AXwF.jpg

Pass Labs X2 preamp with (off image - Primare A32 power amp)
Xindak DAC-8 DAC
Martin Logan Aerius 2 speakers

t2AG0q.jpg

Dussun V8i amp
Esound E5 CD player
Michell Syncro Turntable
Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers

t2Axp0.jpg

Modwright SWL 9.0 preamp
Classé Audio CA201 power amp
MHDT Havana DAC
Dali Helicon 400 speakers

There's been a lot more over the years. These are just the ones I found the images for.
Some sweet kit in there, all of them put my setup to shame.

benno

Some sweet kit in there, all of them put my setup to shame.
cheers. I box swapped every few months, bought mostly used gear and traded for other used gear, adding some money here n there so it slowly built up. Those pics are from around 2006-2009ish. I'm planted in the pro audio world now though, I prefer making funny noises with synths rather than sitting down listening to an album.

hollams

Gold Member
I just upgraded to a 7.2.4 setup from a 5.2.4 and I was pleasantly surprised how much the additional speakers added to the experience. I lowered my side surrounds about 2 feet and made the rear surrounds the same height which really helped with the separation between the bed layer and the Atmos speakers. In the Leaf Atmos demo everything sounded fuller and had more depth. I've noticed this in Rocket League as I heard more sounds than previous and the map with the overhead planes sounds really convincing.

benno

what's a 7.2.4? 7 speakers, 2 subs, what's the 4?

Sorry if it's a bit daft question, not had any form of surround sound in over 10 years.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
what's a 7.2.4? 7 speakers, 2 subs, what's the 4?

Sorry if it's a bit daft question, not had any form of surround sound in over 10 years.
4 "height" or "presence" speakers. These are speakers that are above ear level and add a 3D effect. These are used for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X as well as in older systems as height, or presence speakers.

I like the guy, but people really need to filter all that through the lens of a YT channel.

Got a second HomePod for stereo sound - great, only thing missing is the ‘music experience’ instead of saying ‘Hey Siri, play piano music’.
It's food for thought. Don't take it at face value. I certainly don't but I can definitely learn from it when I make my own purchase decisions. If that makes sense.

Last edited:

benno

I would like to go about getting room measurements at some point.
Do you have a measurement mic and mic preamp? If so , just download this https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

I did mine a few years ago when I was setting up the home studio. (even though it looks straight the scale lines are 10db)

I think the dip at 600hz is a reflection from either the ceiling or the large desk I have. Room is 4m x 3m, semi treated with 12x acoustic panels and 4x tube bass traps.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Do you have a measurement mic and mic preamp? If so , just download this https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

I did mine a few years ago when I was setting up the home studio. (even though it looks straight the scale lines are 10db)

I think the dip at 600hz is a reflection from either the ceiling or the large desk I have. Room is 4m x 3m, semi treated with 12x acoustic panels and 4x tube bass traps.
No I’ll get those prior to anything. I’d rather just borrow someone’s to be honest. I don’t notice any crazy spikes or dips currently, so it’s more just curiosity for me.

benno

You'll only really notice an uneven frequency response when you listen to a bassline or frequency sweep and some notes appear louder than others. The main thing these graphs show up are the RT60 waterfall plots which show you how your room rings at different frequencies.
Having lingering bass note decay will mess up your hifi sound, and it's not something you can fix with EQ, only with thick rockwool type acoustic panels. If you notice it or not will be down to how much care you put in to your speaker positioning - if you've set them for a holographic phantom centre image decays will mess with phase and depth. If you haven't done that then you probably won't notice it.

Cheap mics are Superlux ECM999 and Behringer ECM8000, about £30 each. They're about half the price of most other budget measuring mics and are decent for doing room plots. As for a mic preamp, a Behringer UM2 USB interface is all you need. Another £30. Throw in an XLR cable and a little mic stand and it'll probably be about £80 total.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You'll only really notice an uneven frequency response when you listen to a bassline or frequency sweep and some notes appear louder than others. The main thing these graphs show up are the RT60 waterfall plots which show you how your room rings at different frequencies.
Having lingering bass note decay will mess up your hifi sound, and it's not something you can fix with EQ, only with thick rockwool type acoustic panels. If you notice it or not will be down to how much care you put in to your speaker positioning - if you've set them for a holographic phantom centre image decays will mess with phase and depth. If you haven't done that then you probably won't notice it.

Cheap mics are Superlux ECM999 and Behringer ECM8000, about £30 each. They're about half the price of most other budget measuring mics and are decent for doing room plots. As for a mic preamp, a Behringer UM2 USB interface is all you need. Another £30. Throw in an XLR cable and a little mic stand and it'll probably be about £80 total.
I’m in the US. I don’t currently notice anything poor with my setup. I spent some time positioning to get the best sound when I got my speakers. The room is relatively very small so that probably helps. I more so just want to know the data for my setup. Of course, I would also fix any issues that did pop up. But really it’s more curiosity than anything else.

hollams

Gold Member
In setting up the new speakers I decided to try and improve my bass response. I took an older smaller subwoofer that would fit in my chair and then took the mic around to different spots and found the best measurement then placed my sub there and got a great improvement. All I had to do was move my sub 4 feet out form the corner.

Before - Dual Subs with Audyssey
bJkIvdd.jpg

After - Dual Subs with Audyssey
Cm024CF.png

Top Bottom