• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiosurf: The Winamp audio visualizer that's also a game.... because 2000s.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
yeah. it exists. i bought it on Steam for 2 dollars (should have gotten the sequel though)
It's one of the 2000s various music gimmicks made to cash in on the digital music revolution & rhythm game craze... but i'd be lying if i said it wasn't fun, or interesting.

It's this weird combination of autorunner, rhythm game and match 3 puzzle game.... you're this surfer surfing on a generated track. (based off of the music you feed into this game) controlled by your mouse, you surf the little thing across the track, hitting colored blocks. if you match 3 of them, you can get points, and if you match more than that you get... well, more points. it's more fun than it has any right to be

there's also an easier mono mode, which removes most of the colored blocks and leaves you with colored blocks and grey blocks. if you hit the colored blocks, you get points. hit the grey blocks, however, and you lose points. If you don't touch the greys at all you get a score bonus. This is the mode most people play because it's simpler and honestly more fun

The game's visuals are really nice, and look good years later. They're this techno neon inspired showcase with a lot of elements that pump to the beat. it's quite fitting considering the game's about 'surfing' through your audio files, it really adds to the aesthetic.

I mentioned that the tracks are generated through the music. the way they work is this, it looks through the song file, isolates the frequencies analyzes changes in volume, tempo, etc. Thats pretty much what Audiosurf is doing in the loading screen, analyzing the song file you put into it. It's honestly surprisingly cool and not just that but fairly accurate too, all of the notes or blocks or whatever sync to the song perfectly most of the time. Impressive stuff, for 2008 at least

Honestly if you want to get it i'd suggest getting the sequel instead as that has many more modes and is a much more fully featured game.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Oh man this brings back some memories, a good track to try for a chaos chart is "Murdoc Is God" by Gorillaz.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I remember playing this back in the day and being disappointed that the auto-generated levels based off your own tunes didn't fit the music all that well. I wonder if the sequel was better in that regard

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I remember playing this back in the day and being disappointed that the auto-generated levels based off your own tunes didn't fit the music all that well. I wonder if the sequel was better in that regard
you can check out the video i posted, i think it has great sync

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Remember all the cool Winamp skins you could get? Ah, the memories.
they aren't memories for me, they're just daily life
9nWVSta.png

Roxkis_ii

Man I loved Audiosurf!
I remember trying to get with some girl while playing the OST from Macross Frontier on it. High bpm music always made for the best tracks imo.

Good times.

I also loved winamp

I think power amp on android is a spiritual successor for anyone who still has a personal music collection. Also has lots of skins like winamp.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
3 of my rarest Steam achievement have been Audiosurf ones for years. Still waiting on people to get them so they disappear off the showcase.

Great game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What a blast from the past OP, you based.

Didn't even know it's on Steam, might get it and give it a go for the sake of old times.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I played this all the time 12+ years ago. I picked it up on Steam again a year or two ago. Even managed to recover my old account.

Still playing it now and then. Much better than the sequel.
What is different about 2, and why does OP say it's better? I just picked up the original again because it's a nostalgia buy, and I only played the OG.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What is different about 2, and why does OP say it's better?
should clarify....
2 has more modes, mod support, skin support (you can customize how the track and game looks) and there are more online players on it, also you don't have to create an audiosurf account to set high scores since it just reads from your steam account
if you get the community patch for 2 you also get youtube streaming which means you don't need an MP3/FLAC local music library anymore, and a 'song of the day' function as well
I own both now and 2 is the more polished experience in my eyes, though 1's menus look far better

Dream-Knife

Banned
should clarify....
2 has more modes, mod support, skin support (you can customize how the track and game looks) and there are more online players on it, also you don't have to create an audiosurf account to set high scores since it just reads from your steam account
if you get the community patch for 2 you also get youtube streaming which means you don't need an MP3/FLAC local music library anymore, and a 'song of the day' function as well
I own both now and 2 is the more polished experience in my eyes, though 1's menus look far better
Ah, sounds cool. I still download all of my music so I'll stick with 1 I guess. Mod support is neat though.

Kadve

I played this all the time 12+ years ago. I picked it up on Steam again a year or two ago. Even managed to recover my old account.

What is different about 2, and why does OP say it's better? I just picked up the original again because it's a nostalgia buy, and I only played the OG.
should clarify....
Ah, sounds cool. I still download all of my music so I'll stick with 1 I guess. Mod support is neat though.
Personally i just think its visually too busy compared to the first and its hard to figure out stuff. And when i find myself customizing it too look like the first i might as well play that one.

But that's just me.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Personally i just think its visually too busy compared to the first and its hard to figure out stuff.
2 is the more seizure inducing one ill admit but i dont think thats worth giving up all the other perks. i'm not affected by it and the visibility isn't that far off from audiosurf 1
i really love a lot of the skins for the game, some of them are screenshot material.

Last edited:
Top Bottom