• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin Evans Defends His PS5 Revision Video (Let's Talk About The New PS5)

Do You Agree With Austin's Opinions On The New PS5?

• Yes

Votes: 82 18.7%
  • No

Votes: 94 21.5%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 162 37.0%
  • Waiting for Digital Foundry, Gamers Nexus and others to decide

Votes: 100 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How is that an appropriate response to anything I said? Until there is genuine proof that the comparatively minor heat increase actually makes the console worse, claiming such is lying (or misleading if I’m giving the benefit of the doubt). That’s my whole point. You don’t need to be a Sony Pony to agree with that.
You think someone posting

The meltdown continues. Carry on soldiers

Is intent on having a conversation in this thread?

The only intent with that post is to troll. Report and move on

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sort of reminds me of D dark10x 's last message on this board, he came back and basically explained how the Xbox 'fans' were hounding him, making his life miserable even sending stuff to his house just because of some launch comparisons, where the PS5 came out of top.

Pure insanity.
That’s madness. Did he say what was sent to his house?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
resizing the initial massive heatsink to reduce cost it will for sure increase the internal temperature of the console. so yeah he was and is right
And what if it's well within the thermal guidelines and won't change performance? (Both will be true)

Great Hair

Banned
Insane he got doxxed. The fanboy is strong in the PlayStation community.
fu middle finger GIF
get fucked GIF

uDazasf.png
ABqEXk6.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What makes you think the people criticizing him are only from PS community or PS fanboys?

Even pro Xbox twitter channels called him out on this video so what in the actual fuck are you talking about

Yup the video is an embarrassment to anyone with half a brain cell. I'm not for attacking the guy but I can actively ignore him and say that the clip I saw was actual cringe shouting youtube awful shite. He should be embarrassed.

Sort of reminds me of D dark10x 's last message on this board, he came back and basically explained how the Xbox 'fans' were hounding him, making his life miserable even sending stuff to his house just because of some launch comparisons, where the PS5 came out of top.

Pure insanity.
There are some similarities for sure. PlayStation fans ran D dark10x off this site and now they are doxxing and threatening a YouTuber because they disagree with his opinion. I wonder what's wrong with having an opinion that isn't praising Sony? If you think PlayStation is the best figure you'd just play it and be happy. At least Austin actually got the system before he posted his opinion. What he said doesn't stop some else from doing their own videos on the subject.

dcmk7

Banned
There are some similarities for sure. PlayStation fans ran D dark10x off this site and now they are doxxing and threatening a YouTuber because they disagree with his opinion. I wonder what's wrong with having an opinion that isn't praising Sony? If you think PlayStation is the best figure you'd just play it and be happy. At least Austin actually got the system before he posted his opinion. What he said doesn't stop some else from doing their own videos on the subject.

I don't know, just going off his last message it sounds eerily similar to this YouTube guy. And that was specifically about Xbox 'fans' had nothing about Sony.

But either way, they are as bad as each other.

sircaw

Banned
My theory about this bit below
  • Closes by addressing the various doxxing, harassment etc. criticizing its presence in the community

I suspect DarkMage619 DarkMage619 , Banjo64 Banjo64 , Riky Riky Stuart360 Stuart360 and Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert are all pretending to be sony fans, and have been bombarding his Twitter with hate.

I have managed to track down the IP source where all this malice is coming from.

The House in question, belongs to someone called MrFunSocks MrFunSocks "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:
Austin's playing the victim card. I mentioned before I went through the majority of hisTwitter and have not seen any threatening posts towards him. Just a bunch of people asking him valid questions regarding his methods for his tests. Questions which he doesn't answer, NOT ONCE.
Instead he only replies to people who praises him for the video or his channel. <----- Bear in mind I've got no problem with this at all.

If he is active enough to reply to people praising him, then he should be active enough to respond to a couple of questions on why he has not taken the time to test the internals as well to reach a conclusion on whether the new PS5 is indeed actually WORSE than the original. Question after question goes ignored no matter how politely people ask it.

I must add I've also went through a few youtube channels that called him out and the comments section is normally a shit show but I've again seen people openly question his testing methods. I've not come across any abuse or bullying unless criticizing someone for past content that appears bias is now considered bullying.

Last edited:
All I will say is the toxicity is horrible way too many people worried about counting wins over 2 dropped frames vs actually being a gaming community and I oh dont know PLAYING GAMES

Amen, brother. Amen to that.

tl;dr?
Some platform warring bullshit i guess?

It usually is, so yeah.

He’s a hack who wanted easy clicks so he lied and is walking it back. You cannot name a video “the new PS5 is Worse” and then try to say you didn’t mislead people. He has no data to prove the title of his video. By his logic the PS5 was better than the Series X because the PS5 runs cooler still, which is dumb since if both are within the limits they are both fine. The Doxxing is bad but he’s so disingenuous.

You can name your video that if that is your takeaway, which it was for him. He based this off the reduced heatpipe and switch of material from copper to aluminum, and keeping laws of thermodynamics in mind.

You can argue that shouldn't be the ONLY metric to try saying one version of a system is worst than the other and fair enough, but that would be your criteria, not his.

I mean the guy was doxxed, at some point one of these doxxings is gonna get the victim killed.

“We still need more tests but it’s not going to be better.”

Your statement makes no sense, from the tests we already have there isn’t a difference. Unless they console is actually worse it any way it isn’t worse, this should be an easy concept to grasp. Slightly higher temps within the prescribed limits are meaningless, it’s not better or worse (because it doesn’t make it worse).

For some people slightly higher temps would be worst if there isn't a revamp in the cooling to balance that out, which seems to be the case here. There are some people who very much value their electronics running as cool as possible while keeping exhaust temps down, they probably have their reasons.

The guy peddled that the new PS5 would suffer from performance issues or suffer longevity issues due to 3 degrees Celsius measurement difference off the exhaust of the newer model. Please stop signal-boasting bullshit artist making YouTube videos to generate clicks.

But the thing is a 3 degree Celsius increase can actually impact longevity of a device like a games consoles if the player's use case is frequent. It's like saying speeding up the RPM of a disc drive by a few dozen RPM won't affect longevity of the disc drive, which is false. It shortens the longevity especially if the material constructing the drive is rated for a certain longevity at a given RPM lower than what the increased amount would resolve to.

The same principal applies here; if certain components of the motherboard, like the PCB itself, certain capacitors, chips (such as the memory) etc. were rated to operate for x amount of time at y level of temperature under z type of daily load, and you remove a part of the heatpipe component that results in a slightly higher temperature but no change to the aforementioned other components to accommodate for that, you are going to lower the longevity of that device because thermal processes will result in chemical disturbances and breakdowns that are accelerated when the temperature of those thermal processes increases.

Think of the console like a bottle of frozen water. You put that bottle in a blizzard and it'll last for as long in a frozen state as that blizzard is around, which could be weeks. Now let's say that same bottle is in the Saharan desert; at most it'll probably last about 10 minutes before it's completely melted. The composition of the ice in the bottle is the same in both scenarios but not only did the temperature rise in the latter, the duration of activity stayed the same in both scenarios.

So at least in terms of questioning potential longevity, Austin was not in the wrong. Even the fan is different in the new model, so we'd have to find out what is thermals, voltages etc. are rated for.

JLB

Banned
What a world. Some people gets angry enough because a youtuber talks a little bit bad of their preferred plastic box, and they are capable to go and dox him. Go have a life.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
On the one hand, this guy obviously made a dishonest clickbait video based on an unproven assumption. Shame on him.

on the other hand, it was kinda entertaining to see some folks react as though the very foundation of their worldview and identity had been attacked

GHG

Gold Member
his clearly correct, anyone who thinks a reduced heatsink does not make the system run hotter is legit braindead and basically a science denier...

it's very simple, less material = less surface area to dissipate the heat off of the SoC = hotter running components

simple physics you can't disprove because you would literally break the laws of physics in order for this system to run at the same temperature as the original model

Most ridiculous statement in this thread, well done. Consider the laws of physics broken then:

Spoiler: the biggest and heaviest CPU cooler didn't win.

There's a lot more to cooler design than mass and weight.

It's a shame that with all the facts and information available on the Internet people decide to adopt the simpleton attitide wherein bigger = better. There are plenty of scenarios where bigger ≠ better but in a lot of cases it requires critical thinking to understand why and how. No wonder the youtuber in question here has such a large following. We really are in trouble.

Papacheeks

Banned
Most ridiculous statement in this thread, well done. Consider the laws of physics broken then:

Spoiler: the biggest and heaviest CPU cooler didn't win.

There's a lot more to cooler design than mass and weight.

It's a shame that with all the facts and information available on the Internet people decide to adopt the simpleton attitide wherein bigger = better. There are plenty of scenarios where bigger ≠ better but in a lot of cases it requires critical thinking to understand why and how. No wonder the youtuber in question here has such a large following. We really are in trouble.

Thank you, someone has a brain.

Listening to people who think they know wtf they are talking about is getting ridiculous.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Evan is type of guy, who would take off the cooler from chip, just so can could have lower temperature on the exhaust.

Where is the GamerNexus gif, was pretty fitting.

Brb

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

These arguments on which console has the worst fans is wierd as fuck

You're all fucking degenerates anyway so stop trying to have a competition over it

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Thank you, someone has a brain.

Listening to people who think they know wtf they are talking about is getting ridiculous.

It's been the festival of stupid from start to finish. I was initially surprised by the level of stupidity on display but now I'm just numb to it.

All we need to know about coolers from now on is the exhaust temperature and the mass of the cooler. Peak, average and low chip temperature? Not required. This cooler is bigger bro, don't worry about it.

LordOfChaos

Waiting for GamerJesus or someone more technical.

Yeah the big heatsink shrink isn't the direction we would have wanted, but a few degrees difference on the exhaust air temperature isn't actually telling you anything about what temperature the internal chips are running at. If you had two equivalent systems, one had good thermal paste, one had bad, the one with good would have hotter air exiting, the one with poor would have cooler air exiting, but the temperature of the chips inside would be reversed.

It's very possible that it is what it is and less heatsink means it's running hotter overall inside, but we should at least wait to be sure, it's possible that they realized that cooling through three thicc banks of heatsink didn't leave enough airflow at the end and this way is nearly the same or even slightly better. He did mention it's even slightly quieter, and in the worst case a few degrees doesn't make it a suddenly bad console.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Who the fuck cares? Console warriors mostly.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the revision. They managed to up profits by tweeking the hardware - good on them!

There are other bigger grievences with the PS5 in my opinion.

It's been the festival of stupid from start to finish. I was initially surprised by the level of stupidity on display but now I'm just numb to it.

All we need to know about coolers from now on is the exhaust temperature and the mass of the cooler. Peak, average and low chip temperature? Not required. This cooler is bigger bro, don't worry about it.

iT's jUst coMMon SenSE brO

Top Bottom