• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin Evans Defends His PS5 Revision Video (Let's Talk About The New PS5)

Do You Agree With Austin's Opinions On The New PS5?

• Yes

Votes: 82 18.7%
  • No

Votes: 94 21.5%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 162 37.0%
  • Waiting for Digital Foundry, Gamers Nexus and others to decide

Votes: 100 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GHG

Gold Member
I have a feeling Gamernexus doesn't care enough to test this stuff exclusively to profit off the fanboy war.

No definitely not, I saw some funny gif in the other thread. GamerNexus guys are legit, they expose MSI and recently Gigabyte for their practices, they are anti-shill channel.

Check his patreon. He's willing to pay a premium for one of the new PS5 revisions to anyone willing to sell it to him.

He will be doing a test as soon as he can get his hands on it.

Last edited:

BlackTron

his clearly correct, anyone who thinks a reduced heatsink does not make the system run hotter is legit braindead and basically a science denier...

it's very simple, less material = less surface area to dissipate the heat off of the SoC = hotter running components

simple physics you can't disprove because you would literally break the laws of physics in order for this system to run at the same temperature as the original model

but it's not surprising to see fanboys demonstrating once again how retarded they are

edit: speak of the devil:

I would have hoped someone named after an Ayreon cd would be more intellectual than this. Oh well.

A smaller heatsink would certainly suggest that it's decently likely that the new cooling solution is worse. However, this guy simply doesn't know, and neither do you. He has no proof that the system "runs hotter", although I will say it's a very fine hypothesis. Most people who are NOT science-deniers, would probably think it is not a good idea to present your hypothesis as proven fact. It must be empirically observed to actually be hotter. This has not been done. It has only been shown that the air outside of the case is hotter. It is an interesting finding that demands more evidence to get to the bottom of it.

Your logical deduction is a fine way to prepare a guess but is utterly worthless to anyone who wants to know the facts. There are so many complex variables at play here that it makes you look silly to assume that you can account for all possible factors that might affect thermals in the case.

I want to point out that I don't care one way or another. It could certainly be that it runs hotter. I disagree with ANYONE who says that they know whether it runs hotter or not. You don't. Sorry. (Unless you have two PS5s, installed temp sensors in both, ran both systems with the same ambient temperature under the same load, and recorded the findings).

I recently got the temp of my graphics card down to 60c just by adjusting the fan settings. It was going up to 75c in-game. The reason my card is cooler is because the heat being generated under that same load is being more efficiently dissipated by the fan. That heat doesn't go away and will contribute to greater ambient heat around the card/heading out of the case. This is just the tip of the iceberg of the nigh infinite complex variables at work. Point being, I laugh at anyone knowing what will happen in cooling until they test it. You have literally no idea what is going on inside that PS5. Could be bad, could be good.

The youtuber was talking out of his ass saying it's "worse" and "runs hotter". However all of the people harassing him are far, far worse than he is.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Check his patreon. He's willing to pay a premium for one of the new PS5 revisions to anyone willing to sell it to him.

He will be doing a test as soon as he can get his hands on it.

Definitely disappointing. 🤔

Papacheeks

Banned
It's been the festival of stupid from start to finish. I was initially surprised by the level of stupidity on display but now I'm just numb to it.

All we need to know about coolers from now on is the exhaust temperature and the mass of the cooler. Peak, average and low chip temperature? Not required. This cooler is bigger bro, don't worry about it.

I know right? Back in Pentium III days with their tall as fuck Nickel heatsinks, I bought a AMD athlon, and it came with the first 90mm fan but was somewhat low profile, my buddy was like no fucking way that cools well enough with you overclocking it on FSB. I literally gave him the the most dumbstruck look I gave anyone. I literally ran back then wasn't called Si-dandra, was something else but it was a bench. It loaded PSU to 85%, and CPU to 100 and he watched it for over 2 hours. He was literally dumb founded. I then proceeded to take the clamp off which was part at the time of 754 socket. Then turned it over to show a copper square core in the middle. I said the copper core which is exact diameter of the surface area of the top of the cpu's lid absorbs the heat then dissipates it through the fins which then the fan expels by blowing cool air.

He was literally dumb founded as he had been use to Nickel heatsinks on northbridge on most motherboards being what he expected on intels CPU's. Then Pentium 4 came along and literally had the same design as AMD's heatsink and he called me from compUSA saying "yo intel is doing this too". I rolled my eyes, I was like what planet are you from in the years at BOCES learning electrical/heating course?

Has anyone asked the real question, Why is there a revision less than 1 yr after release?

Don;t know if your big in world news, but Copper is a big issue right now and that seems to be mostly what was cut, which helps in making production faster.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
I don't know this guy so I can't take his conclusions at face value. I'm not saying he's wrong but I have no reason to believe him. I'll wait for other sources I know to evaluate the thermal situation.

That said, making threats and doxing someone is ridiculous.

I don't know, just going off his last message it sounds eerily similar to this YouTube guy. And that was specifically about Xbox 'fans' had nothing about Sony.

But either way, they are as bad as each other.
You were the one who brought up Xbox fans in a thread that wasn't about Xbox at all. You had complained earlier about SonyToo yet you seem to be doing a bit of MSToo here. Also as far as I know it wasn't Xbox fans who doxxed Austin and I know it wasn't Xbox fans that ran John off this site. Xbox fans are also a minority of fans out there so while I agree the behavior is bad it is worse when it is done by a larger community.

Austin's playing the victim card. I mentioned before I went through the majority of hisTwitter and have not seen any threatening posts towards him. Just a bunch of people asking him valid questions regarding his methods for his tests. Questions which he doesn't answer, NOT ONCE.
Instead he only replies to people who praises him for the video or his channel. <----- Bear in mind I've got no problem with this at all.

If he is active enough to reply to people praising him, then he should be active enough to respond to a couple of questions on why he has not taken the time to test the internals as well to reach a conclusion on whether the new PS5 is indeed actually WORSE than the original. Question after question goes ignored no matter how politely people ask it.

I must add I've also went through a few youtube channels that called him out and the comments section is normally a shit show but I've again seen people openly question his testing methods. I've not come across any abuse or bullying unless criticizing someone for past content that appears bias is now considered bullying.
Does Twitter allow a user to threaten someone? I figured that would be against ToS. People are perfectly able to create their own reaction videos or do their own tests. Austin couldn't stop that even if he wanted. Everyone has the right to disagree with his opinion no one has the right to dox or threaten a person. If you personally didn't see doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's not cool and it shouldn't happen over video games or anything else.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Same power draw, more heat exhausting = better heat dissipation.
They he keeps saying the new unit runs hotter, is worse because of physics lol.
There is no way to know chip temp

But I feel the redesign is just that, it's not running worse. But he himself implies that. And the kingthrash video kind of shows his bias in how he talks about specific products.

I haven't seen the KingThrash video and I have reservations over some of their own gaming coverage tbh, but I will give it a watch to see what they point out. They've brought up some points in some other videos that I agreed with, even if they've done videos where there were main points I definitely didn't agree with at all.

Austin should take the criticism since many notible sources with engineering background say otherwise to Austin's claims.

I mean I saw the Gamers Nexus stuff, but I don't think they were outright saying Austin was wrong. Just that it would be impossible to determine if the thermals are indeed hotter due to the system running hotter doing what Austin did, because that would not be enough to make an actual judgement call.

And on that note they are absolutely correct. But something else I think which got lost is the fact that Austin was never testing for thermals in the first place; his goal was to find out why the PS5 was half a pound lighter. In hindsight maybe he should've not emphasized the thermals as much but if you realize the heatsink is reduced significantly in size, has material changed, and the exhaust in the back is hotter, you're prob gonna draw a correlation and assume the system might be running hotter.

..especially because the fan, while a different model, at least from the onset could not be determined as running any faster or cooler (actually fans don't run cool at all, they just redistribute air at the intake temperature elsewhere throughout a design's cooling pipeline. It's the speed in which the fans operate that give the sensation of them producing cooler air and I think it was noted in the video that the fan seemed to not be any louder but again as you say, it's a different fan model).

So no, Austin can stay being wrong. And he playing victim is typical of someone who gets called out.

But if he has in fact gotten doxxed and death threats, etc., how is that playing victim to speak up on it? Let us say he is 1000% wrong, does that still deserve one to be doxxed, harassed, threatened etc. over that wrong opinion?

Austin Evans Defends His PS5 Revision Video​

Season 8 Clown GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race's Drag Race

I mean, he is defending his stance and trying to justify it amid the backlash, which is noble. He shouldn't feel forced to change his opinion over groupthink or peer pressure, if he genuinely feels he's right about it.

If folks like DF and Gamers Nexus do a more thorough analysis and notice that internal thermals are still as good or even better (lower) than the launch PS5, and if Austin is genuine, then he'll walk back his hypothesis ("If the heatpipe is reduced and exhaust temps are hotter, then the PS5 revision must be worst") and change his opinion.

I'd much rather him do so guided by trusted and verifiable data versus a legion of salty fanboys using terror tactics to force it on them.

his clearly correct, anyone who thinks a reduced heatsink does not make the system run hotter is legit braindead and basically a science denier...

it's very simple, less material = less surface area to dissipate the heat off of the SoC = hotter running components

simple physics you can't disprove because you would literally break the laws of physics in order for this system to run at the same temperature as the original model

but it's not surprising to see fanboys demonstrating once again how retarded they are

There is actually TWO scenarios where the new PS5 indeed runs cooler even with the reduced heat pipe and likelihood of the fan running at same speed despite a model change.

The first is that Sony over-engineered the cooling system. But if so, that actually reflects badly on them and shows engineering incompetence as a division, that perhaps the design was in fact rushed in some parts in terms of the system build itself. And, there were already rumors suggesting this going back to early last year. I don't know how this scenario reflects well on Sony outside of a "hey, they FINALLY engineered the system properly" sort of way, because otherwise they just wasted hundreds of millions of dollars on materials they didn't need, and if they could've saved those costs, it's possible they might've, just as an example, NOT increase costs of 1P games by $10.

That's a correlation on my own end with no evidence to tie them, mind, but it's meant to serve as an example. Anyway, the 2nd possibility is that they've moved to the N6 process at TSMC. AMD are bringing new Zen chips on N6 later this year I think, and there were already some rumors going around about Sony securing N6 fabbing at TSMC (well, that would be AMD's doing, for Sony as their client).

However this one seems less likely because any switch to N6 for PS5 SoC production wasn't said to happen until around mid-2022, and it's obviously too early for that with the new revision. Unless Sony bumped that all up ahead, but we'd of heard some actual news come out about this if that were the case. And even if so, if you remember Gamers Nexus's older video, the point of potential concern with the system wasn't the SoC, but the GDDR6 memory chips.

A switch to N6 process for the SoC would theoretically help reduce some of the power consumption for that component which could be redistributed to cool the memory chips, but this only matters if the big issue WRT that in the launch model (IIRC, either the fan, heat pipe or both not actually covering a couple of the modules). TBF Austin's video didn't ive a detailed look at the new system's PCB and some components might've been rearranged, so we're going to have to wait on those Digtal Foundry/Gamers Nexus/SpawnWave etc. deeper looks to see what's really going on here.

That would hold true if the fan design wasn't different and the newer model being actually quite.

Which means the fan and heatsink are effective enough.

Until we see more raw data, it's his assumption.

If your theory was correct why are reference cards cooling fine as apposed to AIB which have larger heatsinks, larger fans?

For the longest time they were loud but blower style got the job done on GPU'S and cooled just as well as AIB. They were just louder because they had one fan instead of 2-3.

The thing with GPU cards tho is that they go into devices, PCs, that are built much differently than consoles. There is usually a lot of open space in tower PCs housing powerful GPUs (not to mention other things like liquid cooling) which naturally creates a space for cooler air to exist to circulate in the design because there is more volume.

Consoles are not built this way. They don't have liquid coolers to compliment their fans and components are very tightly packed in close to each other, with very little room between the components. Without that extra room, there is less existent volume to let the heat spread out and naturally cool off, which means the air the fans blow around will be that much hotter.

Some people are under the misguided belief that fans produce cooler air but they don't; they simply blow around the air at the temperature of the surrounding environment. Even speeding up the spin of the fan blades does little to change that, and all of this is magnified if the an is in a confined space (like the innards of a game console). The only way you factor in genuinely cooler air is with either much greater volume of space for the heat to dissipate into (and cool off that way), or using something like an air conditioner or liquid cooling (if talking electronics).

A thermoelectric peltier plate is another option and size-wise would fit a console, but costs way too much power/wattage and only pertains to a small surface area like a specific chip component or two. And you'd need something to deal with removing the heat generated on the opposite end anyway.

Last edited:
Cost saving redesign is not necessarily worse. There simply isn't enough information to to make judgements about it at all. Certainly not from this video.
That is completely fair. You can't say it's better either. It is inconclusive but that's his opinion. How we get from 'I disagree' to dox and threaten is the bigger problem.

dcmk7

Banned
You were the one who brought up Xbox fans in a thread that wasn't about Xbox at all. You had complained earlier about SonyToo yet you seem to be doing a bit of MSToo here. Also as far as I know it wasn't Xbox fans who doxxed Austin and I know it wasn't Xbox fans that ran John off this site. Xbox fans are also a minority of fans out there so while I agree the behavior is bad it is worse when it is done by a larger community.

I said it reminded me of a situation that we had on NeoGaf fairly recently. When a certain content creator appealed to a specific crowd to stop doing what they were doing.

By the sounds of it, you want this thread to only be about how hateful and abusive Sony 'fans' are, when the problem is across the board, all platforms have a small subset of rabid fans, there is no need to be partisan about it.

No group is better than another, as evidenced by D dark10x final post.

I said it reminded me of a situation that we had on NeoGaf fairly recently. When a certain content creator appealed to a specific crowd to stop doing what they were doing.

By the sounds of it, you want this thread to only be about how hateful and abusive Sony 'fans' are, when the problem is across the board, all platforms have a small subset of rabid fans, there is no need to be partisan about it.

No group is better than another, as evidenced by D dark10x final post.
Sure man I'm certain it's only a coincidence that you brought up 'Xbox fans' when that had nothing to do with the topic. I thought this thread was about Austin Evan's video about the response to his PS5 video. If you want to talk about mean old Xbox fans you can certainly make a thread about it. I never said a group is better than another I said a group is BIGGER than the other so it's a BIGGER problem when one side does it.

Topher

Gold Member
That is completely fair. You can't say it's better either. It is inconclusive but that's his opinion. How we get from 'I disagree' to dox and threaten is the bigger problem.

Yeah, but that is a bigger problem for the internet in general. Austin could prevent that sort of thing by not actively trying to create controversy which is exactly what he meant to do. That doesn't excuse the idiots who threaten, but again that's not something isolated to this.

dcmk7

Banned
Sure man I'm certain it's only a coincidence that you brought up 'Xbox fans' when that had nothing to do with the topic. I thought this thread was about Austin Evan's video about the response to his PS5 video. If you want to talk about mean old Xbox fans you can certainly make a thread about it. I never said a group is better than another I said a group is BIGGER than the other so it's a BIGGER problem when one side does it.
Don't get why you are so interested in turning it into a competition.

I merely said that this incident reminded me of a similiar thing that happened recently on NeoGaf.

If me highlighting that incident upsets you then maybe you should grow up. The issue is across the board, rabid fans are as bad as each other.

I'm sure one day you will grasp that.

Last edited:

Does Twitter allow a user to threaten someone? I figured that would be against ToS. People are perfectly able to create their own reaction videos or do their own tests. Austin couldn't stop that even if he wanted. Everyone has the right to disagree with his opinion no one has the right to dox or threaten a person. If you personally didn't see doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's not cool and it shouldn't happen over video games or anything else.
Have no idea if Twitter shows those posts. I've personally not seen any threatening posts on his Twitter. Maybe there's a filter? I dunno, I'm not a heavy Twitter user so not sure.
But no not advocating the doxxing and threats. It's obviously rubbish and people should be banned from Twitter if they do abuse others in that way.
I've also checked the comments on that youtube video of his and not seen any threats there either so curious if it really does exist. Maybe he flagged it and it got removed? Have no idea but not personally seen it on youtube either.

If this was for any other product by anyone else I'd react the same way because I'm quite fed up with people using social media to spread misinformation or deliberately mislead others on products. It's just wrong. The same way that video game journalists give games 10/10 scores for obviously broken games (looking at your Cyberpunk reviewers).

What was telling however is that Austin never replied to people on his Twitter/Youtube channel that questioned his methods of testing. Making sweeping statements like title your video 'New PS5 is worse' without doing proper in-depth testing of the internals is misleading. We don't know the full story of the thermal performance of this new revision. Also if you're making videos on PS5 or Sony and pulling all sorts of weird faces as thumbnails compared to Xbox where he looks giddy and happy also paints him as a biased youtuber. People are actually noticing this so again he's invited this on himself.
If I were to start a youtube channel and do this, I should expect some heat from certain camps of viewers because I'm not making myself out to be impartial at all.

If he finds 55 degree heat at the exhaust of console A to be worrying then 56 degrees or higher on console B should illicit the same negative response. Not so with this guy. His assessment of Series X heat output and PS5 is completely different. Praising Series X performance despite it running hotter and claiming PS5 heat output is an issue. Again, he's inviting people to scrutinize him with these two vastly different views.

It really is not hard to see why many are viewing him as a fraud or mickey mouse tech guy. His messaging is not consistent and he uses flawed methods to test products (he even admitted it in his latest video). If tech channels like Gamer Nexus and Digital Foundry call you out on your video (and these guys have years of experience and are pretty well respected) then you know you've fucked up.

I would have hoped someone named after an Ayreon cd would be more intellectual than this. Oh well.

A smaller heatsink would certainly suggest that it's decently likely that the new cooling solution is worse. However, this guy simply doesn't know, and neither do you. He has no proof that the system "runs hotter", although I will say it's a very fine hypothesis. Most people who are NOT science-deniers, would probably think it is not a good idea to present your hypothesis as proven fact. It must be empirically observed to actually be hotter. This has not been done. It has only been shown that the air outside of the case is hotter. It is an interesting finding that demands more evidence to get to the bottom of it.

Your logical deduction is a fine way to prepare a guess but is utterly worthless to anyone who wants to know the facts. There are so many complex variables at play here that it makes you look silly to assume that you can account for all possible factors that might affect thermals in the case.

I want to point out that I don't care one way or another. It could certainly be that it runs hotter. I disagree with ANYONE who says that they know whether it runs hotter or not. You don't. Sorry. (Unless you have two PS5s, installed temp sensors in both, ran both systems with the same ambient temperature under the same load, and recorded the findings).

I recently got the temp of my graphics card down to 60c just by adjusting the fan settings. It was going up to 75c in-game. The reason my card is cooler is because the heat being generated under that same load is being more efficiently dissipated by the fan. That heat doesn't go away and will contribute to greater ambient heat around the card/heading out of the case. This is just the tip of the iceberg of the nigh infinite complex variables at work. Point being, I laugh at anyone knowing what will happen in cooling until they test it. You have literally no idea what is going on inside that PS5. Could be bad, could be good.

The youtuber was talking out of his ass saying it's "worse" and "runs hotter". However all of the people harassing him are far, far worse than he is.
Your graphics card comparison is pointless. It’s using the same cooler regardless of what your fan settings are.

It’s not that it’s just less metal on the new model, but less metal and a very similar design. It’s not like comparing different brands of PC coolers.

We all just need to wait for more tests, but I am betting on more meltdowns and surprised pikachu face.

There’s precedence for Sony gimping heat dissipation multiple times since the ps2. I’m betting based on the look of the cooler and Sony’s history… doubt I’ll be wrong. If I were to be wrong, you surely won’t see a meltdown from me lol. I’ll be happy to be wrong because it’s good for everyone in this case.

Elog

Death threats etc are of course dead wrong but his video was complete garbage class since temperature in itself is completely meaningless. The only question is whether it maintains temperature within the specifications of the hardware. And he did not measure that at all. Given his own video history in the console space, it is hard to not see the original video, the expected backlash and his concern response as a way for him to market himself. Cynical? Yes. Likely? Yes.

This actually cause a stir outside of GAF? Just hit dislike on the video, leave a negative comment explaining why you disagree and move on.

It got traction on Twitter, Reddit, Youtube, other forums like ERA and Beyond3D, etc. Probably even spots like 4Chan if one bothered to look.

Austin was hit by rabid fanboys doxxing him, sending various threats, and other types of cyber-bullying, online harassment and overall console warrior toxicity on spots like Twitter

Funny this because I went through a lot of the replies on his Twitter and seen LOTS of people either ask him valid questions or criticizing him for his testing methods. And predictably the people asking the real questions never received any answers. By real questions I mean like for example them wanting to know why he didn't test the internals too before coming to a conclusion.
I've seen the same thing on other youtubers channels. Everyone's just asking valid questions of his methods or criticizing him for the video. Some are commenting they will wait on Gamer Nexus or Digital Foundry.
On Twitter he doesn't answer these questions. Instead on he only answers to those praising him doing a good job on the test OR praising him for his channel.

So yeah I have to call bullshit on the above bolded. Dude is clearly playing the victim card and using social media toxicity as a defense.

Exactly.

TBF he is probably just not wanting to get dragged into massive debate reply chains taking up tons of time. Twitter is famous for that type of stuff, too.

I think another factor to him doing that (or maybe better to say, not doing that) though, is because testing for thermals wasn't the point of the original video. It's just the one everyone ended up focusing on. Could he have had better foresight and not emphasize the thermals part in the video itself? Of course, and maybe he deserves to be questioned on that.

But it also begs to question, why did everyone focus on the thermals part as the takeaway and made that out to be the main purpose of the video when it was not? In any case, detailed analysis with more thorough testing methods are going to come sooner rather than later, we'll have fuller answers soon enough.

It was very obvious clickbait, which he openly admits, but blames "the algorithm" for it.

Unfortunately "the algorithm" is a real thing and does actually screw over vids that don't placate to it. His bit on the algorithm was in relation to the thumbnail I think, and it was probably an egregious thumbnail, but still...

He knew exactly what he was trying to do in that video, fuck him and his bullshit.

Calm down bro.

Not to defend this guy because the video sounds like pure bullshit from the beginning. I've only seen a short clip that was shared by someone else and I refuse to watch the videos because I don't want to give him clicks/views because that clip was awful.

But, one thing the new ps5 uses less of a heatsink at a reduced cost to Sony and if he is right that the original ps5 was over engineered that would still make the new one worse right? So in a way the guy is not lying?

We need to wait for gamers nexus etc to do a proper test but it wouldn't surprise me if the SOC and memory do run slightly hotter. That will be fine but it will be worse than the initial design.

That's my thing: if it was in fact over-engineered would that not be reflective on a rushed design (I mean as the system as a whole, not the CPU/GPU/memory architecture) because IMO a design with enough time taken to it would aim to ensure components are only engineered to as much as needed for the job. This would also ensure you aren't wasting hundreds of millions spending on the over-engineered bits when talking mass volumes of production.

So even if the revised unit runs just as good or better thermals-wise than the launch version, it still doesn't necessarily paint Sony in the best light, because it means they could've had this revised unit out there Day 1. And yes, if folks want to take that to its absolute conclusion this could be made about any console ever or especially systems like the 360 which were riddled with engineering issues that could've been solved Day 1 if more care were taken.

That all said, this isn't about the past, it's about the present, and I can't recall any examples of consoles reducing the size of their cooling component so soon after release and only reducing/changing that, while achieving cooler thermal performance. If anyone's aware of any examples, point them to me.

Loxus

I don't know why anyone would take his results as fact.

We don't know how long he had the new model PS5 running or which game he was playing before he played Astro Bot.
He did no proper tests of the internal temperature.

Exhaust temps doesn't say much, especially when the chips are the same.

The fins aren't even massively reduced like he's saying, only the copper plate that isn't even cooling anything.

Imo, he heard the new model had a redesign heatsink, capitalized on being the first to teardown one and made a click bait video on it.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Unfortunately "the algorithm" is a real thing and does actually screw over vids that don't placate to it. His bit on the algorithm was in relation to the thumbnail I think, and it was probably an egregious thumbnail, but still...

Lots of YouTubers are successful without having to resort to disingenuous clickbait, just like lots of websites manage to get their content out without resorting to clickbait headlines even if Google has its own "algorithm."

If you do something dishonest because it gives you an advantage, that's fine, but you should not be shocked if you're called on it.

Giving you an example, yesterday CD Projekt had a financial conference call in which they happened to mention in passing that they plan to release the next-gen version of Cyberpunk 2077 this year, but there's always the possibility that something may happen that hinders that plan. Lots of websites, out of all the details provided titled "CD Projekt can't promise the next-gen version of Cyberpunk 2077 will come this year!" or something to that effect in the obvious attempt to clickbait and manufacture controversy out of something obvious. It's the same thing, and it should definitely warrant criticism. "The algorithm" or "Hey, gotta get some clicks to put food on the table!" is not an excuse.

Last edited:
Don't get why you are so interested in turning it into a competition.

I merely said that this incident reminded me of a similiar thing that happened recently on NeoGaf.

If me highlighting that incident upsets you then maybe you should grow up. The issue is across the board, rabid fans are as bad as each other.

I'm sure one day you will grasp that.
You brought up Xbox in a thread that wasn't about the system or its fans. You made it a competition by falsely equating different situations. You complain in other threads when PS5 gets mentioned in Xbox threads but you are doing the same thing here. Yet I should grow up? Why don't you do it first. Try leading by example. This is a thread about some PS fans attacking a guy because they didn't like his opinion. The discussion won't hurt you I promise. I hope you'll grasp that one day.

Have no idea if Twitter shows those posts. I've personally not seen any threatening posts on his Twitter. Maybe there's a filter? I dunno, I'm not a heavy Twitter user so not sure.
But no not advocating the doxxing and threats. It's obviously rubbish and people should be banned from Twitter if they do abuse others in that way.
I've also checked the comments on that youtube video of his and not seen any threats there either so curious if it really does exist. Maybe he flagged it and it got removed? Have no idea but not personally seen it on youtube either.

If this was for any other product by anyone else I'd react the same way because I'm quite fed up with people using social media to spread misinformation or deliberately mislead others on products. It's just wrong. The same way that video game journalists give games 10/10 scores for obviously broken games (looking at your Cyberpunk reviewers).

What was telling however is that Austin never replied to people on his Twitter/Youtube channel that questioned his methods of testing. Making sweeping statements like title your video 'New PS5 is worse' without doing proper in-depth testing of the internals is misleading. We don't know the full story of the thermal performance of this new revision. Also if you're making videos on PS5 or Sony and pulling all sorts of weird faces as thumbnails compared to Xbox where he looks giddy and happy also paints him as a biased youtuber. People are actually noticing this so again he's invited this on himself.
If I were to start a youtube channel and do this, I should expect some heat from certain camps of viewers because I'm not making myself out to be impartial at all.

If he finds 55 degree heat at the exhaust of console A to be worrying then 56 degrees or higher on console B should illicit the same negative response. Not so with this guy. His assessment of Series X heat output and PS5 is completely different. Praising Series X performance despite it running hotter and claiming PS5 heat output is an issue. Again, he's inviting people to scrutinize him with these two vastly different views.

It really is not hard to see why many are viewing him as a fraud or mickey mouse tech guy. His messaging is not consistent and he uses flawed methods to test products (he even admitted it in his latest video). If tech channels like Gamer Nexus and Digital Foundry call you out on your video (and these guys have years of experience and are pretty well respected) then you know you've fucked up.
I thought his 2nd video WAS the response to what some people were saying. His weird faces doesn't affect the content of the videos he makes. What is telling is that he really didn't retract his opinion. He didn't take the original video down. He is entitled to state his opinion and not have his life threatened over it. People are entitled to disagree as long as those lines aren't crossed.

He never claimed to be just like Gamers Nexus or Digital Foundry and welcomed their takes on it. Say what you want to about the guy he didn't hurt anyone yet people are threatening to hurt him and it's wrong no matter if you agree with him or not.

Topher

Gold Member
So even if the revised unit runs just as good or better thermals-wise than the launch version, it still doesn't necessarily paint Sony in the best light, because it means they could've had this revised unit out there Day 1.

That is making a lot of assumptions about what parts were available then and what is available now. There is currently a massive copper shortage and the first version had a good bit of copper in it. I wouldn't be so eager to paint Sony in a negative light without some facts first, frankly.

Alphagear

Still don't understand the big deal with the new PS5 having higher temperatures if that is the case.

Is 56c hot? I'm no expert on cooling but my PC AMD GPU reaches temps of around 70-80c when playing a game. AMD Ryzen CPU hovers around 50-60c when gaming.

No issues whatsoever. Been 3 years now.

Certain the AMD tech in the PS5 won't have issues at 56c.

Am I wrong?

Last edited:

BlackTron

Your graphics card comparison is pointless. It’s using the same cooler regardless of what your fan settings are.

It’s not that it’s just less metal on the new model, but less metal and a very similar design. It’s not like comparing different brands of PC coolers.

We all just need to wait for more tests, but I am betting on more meltdowns and surprised pikachu face.

There’s precedence for Sony gimping heat dissipation multiple times since the ps2. I’m betting based on the look of the cooler and Sony’s history… doubt I’ll be wrong. If I were to be wrong, you surely won’t see a meltdown from me lol. I’ll be happy to be wrong because it’s good for everyone in this case.

At least you acknowledge that you don't know for sure yet!

My graphics card comparison would indeed be pointless if its purpose was to prove that the revised PS5 was more or less hot. But it was just to demonstrate the number of variables at play in cooling. I don't think it was pointless at that job. It was just my closest anecdote and hand when I wanted an example.

Not that I would ever downplay the importance of the size of the heatsink. It's huge. But other factors matter too, getting down to the unique airflow in the case and the complex relationship between all the components to build up heat. Captain America's supercomputer brain could analyze it and not have a definitive answer. I mean the assumptions being made are reasonable, just cannot yet be touted as fact. I certainly wouldn't call people who refuse to jump the gun retards.

dcmk7

Banned
You brought up Xbox in a thread that wasn't about the system or its fans
I bought up a very similar incident that happened to a member on NeoGaf.. It is worth mentioning since it sounds pretty much identical circumstances.

Somehow you perceive a mere mention of something, as some sort of war posturing, you do this in every thread - just constantly looking for an excuse to war.

Just give it a rest... It's boring as fuck.

No one should be threatened or abused by so called 'gamers'.

And yes, despite what you say, they are all as bad as each other. I've amazed that even has to be said.

Derktron

Banned
Again and again, you hate to see it. Radical fanboys are at it again. This needs to stop. It has to stop. Just because someone found something that is wrong with your stupid plastic box doesn't mean you have to be a bitch about it. They make Nintendo, Xbox and PC fanboys look good

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just watched the video. it seems he did point a thermal camera and measured the temps just like he did for the PS5 and XSX last year and exactly what DF used to measure the temps last year.

the only people who put probes on the silicon and the ram chips are the guys over at Gamer Nexus. I cant believe people trashed this guy over that and had no issues with DF and his own videos last year.

Pretty embarrassing stuff all around.

Topher

Gold Member
Again and again, you hate to see it. Radical fanboys are at it again. This needs to stop. It has to stop. Just because someone found something that is wrong with your stupid plastic box doesn't mean you have to be a bitch about it. They make Nintendo, Xbox and PC fanboys look good

You believe every opinion a YouTuber has do you? Yeah.....that kind of needs to stop.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Just watched the video. it seems he did point a thermal camera and measured the temps just like he did for the PS5 and XSX last year and exactly what DF used to measure the temps last year.

the only people who put probes on the silicon and the ram chips are the guys over at Gamer Nexus. I cant believe people trashed this guy over that and had no issues with DF and his own videos last year.

Pretty embarrassing stuff all around.

Digital foundry doesn't have conflicting opinions on other consoles with same to similar temps in vent output. Go look up kingthrash video on Austin. He's not consistent df is.

They also didn't make claims saying it would hurt frames and life of the console.

MrFunSocks

Banned
With the way this very forum reacted I'm not surprised by the pathetic reactions from fanboys.

As always, "gamers" showing why they have a terrible reputation. Just insane how saying something not glowing in praise about a toy can cause so many people to absolutely lose their mind to the point that they make threats and try to actually harm your life.

Great video where he calls out a lot of the bullshit that a lot of people on here like to peddle. I haven't read the comments in here yet, but I'm guessing the reaction to this won't be mature.

At this point, it's turning radical at this point and that right there is not a good thing. PlayStation needs to call them out.
You think that Sony would "call out" their most die hard supporters? The ones that are responsible for so much FUD that actively helps their business? If anything sony are more likely to reward them haha.

Last edited:
With the way this very forum reacted I'm not surprised by the pathetic reactions from fanboys.

As always, "gamers" showing why they have a terrible reputation. Just insane how saying something not glowing in praise about a toy can cause so many people to absolutely lose their mind to the point that they make threats and try to actually harm your life.
I was surprised how many 'that's what he gets' responses I've seen. No wonder some people rush to try and draw parallels to other platforms to make false equivalencies. The people threatening others over a disagreement about a game console look pretty bad.

Topher

Gold Member

You mean like how you reacted to reports of Xbox Series X heat issues? Yeah...ok

I was surprised how many 'that's what he gets' responses I've seen. No wonder some people rush to try and draw parallels to other platforms to make false equivalencies. The people threatening others over a disagreement about a game console look pretty bad.

And you've led the charge against "PlayStation fans" and engaged in mass generalization. You want to associate every PS fan with those who supposedly made threats? Why?

Last edited:

Tschumi

I mean, look, i value the opinion of YouTube personalities as much as i value my own. That's why i like the ones i like, because they're thoughtful and detailed but happy to be their own people.

I only selected the DF option because their videos are "dumb", which is to say, they follow a strict format with fixed, measurable criteria.. upshot is unless i really care about what they're saying i can't get through their videos lol

Top Bottom