• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin Evans Defends His PS5 Revision Video (Let's Talk About The New PS5)

Do You Agree With Austin's Opinions On The New PS5?

• Yes

Votes: 82 18.7%
  • No

Votes: 94 21.5%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 162 37.0%
  • Waiting for Digital Foundry, Gamers Nexus and others to decide

Votes: 100 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So as you may know, Austin Evans did a video on Saturday to see what was different about the recently revised PS5 to reduce its weight by half a pound and, well...let's just say some non-silicon meltdowns happened. While the video was meant to just see why it weighed less, he also made a brief observation of exhaust heat and noted that the temperature was higher. This led him to say in that video that the new PS5 was, in his opinion, a downgrade compared to the launch PS5 units.

Of course, the mere mention of this generated a ton of controversy across the internet, but apparently it got much worst than mere disagreement. According to this follow-up video, Austin was hit by rabid fanboys doxxing him, sending various threats, and other types of cyber-bullying, online harassment and overall console warrior toxicity on spots like Twitter...simply due to an observation he made on a piece of plastic.

In this new video, he goes over the drama, what occurred in the video, some of the accusations made against him, and ultimately makes a call for sanity in the gaming community when it comes to stuff like this because, honestly, no one should be getting death threats or get doxxed because they observed a console's exhaust being a few temperatures higher. Here's a rundown of the main things mentioned in the new video:

• Brings up how he secured one of the new PS5 units

• Brings up some of the points other people have made WRT the system possibly running cooler in spite of the changes

• Offers his reason for dismissing some of these suggestions

• Nonetheless seems to be of the opinion that original PS5's heatpipe was over-engineered, and the new model should
  • be within thermal limits even if reduced for economically-driven reasons.

• Briefly touches on some of the other content creators (Dreamcast Guy, etc.) who not only disagreed with him, but did
  • questionable out-of-context quotations and editing losing the plot along the way.

• Agrees with Digital Foundry's (via EuroGamer) early impressions on the new model not losing performance due to changes

• Ultimately still feels the same about the new PS5 revision being worst than the original model

• Touches on the thumbnail being called clickbait (goes over the YT algorithm, etc.)

• Addresses people calling him a Microsoft shill (would have covered PS5 sooner if Sony offered a PS5 for preview, etc.)

• Closes by addressing the various doxxing, harassment etc. criticizing its presence in the community

Those points above basically summarize what's in the video, but feel free to watch it if you'd like to form your own insight from the material directly. IMO, it's shameful that someone feels forced to address drama and defend a personal opinion on a gaming console because a notable chunk of a community's fanbase have low-level, emotionally stunted tardcums willing to threaten their livelihood and safety over thinking a new piece of plastic doesn't quite have the thermal profile of an older version of that same piece of plastic, yet here we are.

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are not necessarily responsible for the behavior of their fanbases, but there definitely seem to be some trends in toxic pockets of some fanbases acting more virulently than those in other fanbases, at least of late, if incidents like these are any indication, and it does bring to question at least briefly if platform holders are, intentionally or not, at least enabling some of this type of behavior on their end. This isn't to say it would be in any serious amount, but it is probably still a question worth asking. Loyalty has its limits when it comes to being tasteful about it, once you start cyber-bullying people, sending them death threats or doxxing them you have well crossed that limit.

Anyway, I wanted to add my own personal opinion on top of things there at the end but the main point was just to link up Austin's video and run through the main points he addressed. How do the rest of you feel about some of this toxicity which seems to have been festering more in the gaming space of late? Where some folks can't even give an opinion on a console without being targeted by irrational, deranged fanboys and fangirls. Do you think the general type of environments social media spaces like Twitter also contribute to this, and what do you think can be encouraged to help curb this nonsense down so that the macro discussion around these games and consoles is more sensible and less toxic?

Share your thoughts and let's talk it up.

Bryank75

Banned
Pee Wee Herman GIF

White-fire

He’s a hack who wanted easy clicks so he lied and is walking it back. You cannot name a video “the new PS5 is Worse” and then try to say you didn’t mislead people. He has no data to prove the title of his video. By his logic the PS5 was better than the Series X because the PS5 runs cooler still, which is dumb since if both are within the limits they are both fine. The Doxxing is bad but he’s so disingenuous.

White-fire

I mean we had a mini meltdown here too. Amazing you could be such a zealot that you can't see how a massive cut to a product will make it worse. Yes we still need more tests, but it's not going to be better than the original that's for sure.

“We still need more tests but it’s not going to be better.”

Your statement makes no sense, from the tests we already have there isn’t a difference. Unless they console is actually worse it any way it isn’t worse, this should be an easy concept to grasp. Slightly higher temps within the prescribed limits are meaningless, it’s not better or worse (because it doesn’t make it worse).

RafterXL

I don't think there will be any heat issues with the new model, but I wouldn't trade my launch version for the revision if offered the chance, that's for sure. And regardless of what you think of his claims or the original video, you got to be a special kind of loser to doxx or sent him hate mail or threats. If a video about your particular toy of choice gets you so angry that you have to do those things you should probably seek help.

“We still need more tests but it’s not going to be better.”

Your statement makes no sense, from the tests we already have there isn’t a difference. Unless they console is actually worse it any way it isn’t worse, this should be an easy concept to grasp. Slightly higher temps within the prescribed limits are meaningless, it’s not better or worse (because it doesn’t make it worse).
Case in point...

We need more tests to get exact measurements, but it's not going to be good taking all that copper out.

MonarchJT

Banned
He’s a hack who wanted easy clicks so he lied and is walking it back. You cannot name a video “the new PS5 is Worse” and then try to say you didn’t mislead people. He has no data to prove the title of his video. By his logic the PS5 was better than the Series X because the PS5 runs cooler still, which is dumb since if both are within the limits they are both fine. The Doxxing is bad but he’s so disingenuous.
resizing the initial massive heatsink to reduce cost it will for sure increase the internal temperature of the console. so yeah he was and is right

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I think Austin has and always be a product guy. He does not have the engineering experience a lot of people like gamers Nexus and digital foundry have. So to me he is in this on his own. He does not have the years of experience a lot of other people have.

I agree people being trolls and sending dumb death threats is pretty terrible. But also it's the internet.
You have to understand this happen in everything that delves with tons of people watching you.

I work in news and we get bomb threats at least once a year, especially during election season.
So my advice to him get off social media, concentrare on your channel. Have separate phone for work/home.
But I feel the redesign is just that, it's not running worse. But he himself implies that. And the kingthrash video kind of shows his bias in how he talks about specific products.

Austin should take the criticism since many notible sources with engineering background say otherwise to Austin's claims.
He also didn't talk about the fan which others chimed in on as it's blades, design is different so possibly moving more air since there is no change in noise compared to original ps5.
And with the copper plate gone more cool air can occupy that space cooling more effectively.

So no, Austin can stay being wrong. And he playing victim is typical of someone who gets called out.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
  • Closes by addressing the various doxxing, harassment etc. criticizing its presence in the community
What is wrong with people that do stuff over some dudes opinion? (Whether true or false)

& Dreamcast guy needs to go back to doing top 10 ten sega videos rather than clickbait/pretend crazy/unhinged angry videos, just comes across as weird to me...

That being said who is Austin and why is everyone so mad over nothing...

Embarrassing behaviour from adults all round.

Banned
his clearly correct, anyone who thinks a reduced heatsink does not make the system run hotter is legit braindead and basically a science denier...

it's very simple, less material = less surface area to dissipate the heat off of the SoC = hotter running components

simple physics you can't disprove because you would literally break the laws of physics in order for this system to run at the same temperature as the original model

but it's not surprising to see fanboys demonstrating once again how retarded they are

edit: speak of the devil:

Austin Evans Defends His PS5 Revision Video​

Season 8 Clown GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race's Drag Race

Last edited:
Case in point...

We need more tests to get exact measurements, but it's not going to be good taking all that copper out.
This doesn't make any sense...

How is wasting resources good?

If they can reduce the amount of copper and still keep the performance, it's good for everybody.

Breaking News!
PS5s were not scalped, they were hoarded for copper!

Papacheeks

Banned
his clearly correct, anyone who thinks a reduced heatsink does not make the system run hotter is legit braindead and basically a science denier...

it's very simple, less material = less surface area to dissipate the heat off of the SoC = hotter running components

simple physics you can't disprove because you would literally break the laws of physics in order for this system to run at the same temperature as the original model

but it's not surprising to see fanboys demonstrating once again how retarded they are

That would hold true if the fan design wasn't different and the newer model being actually quite.

Which means the fan and heatsink are effective enough.

Until we see more raw data, it's his assumption.

If your theory was correct why are reference cards cooling fine as apposed to AIB which have larger heatsinks, larger fans?

For the longest time they were loud but blower style got the job done on GPU'S and cooled just as well as AIB. They were just louder because they had one fan instead of 2-3.

Boy bawang

If I didn't go on forums, I wouldn't believe that grown ass men can become so angry at someone criticizing (legitimately or not, idgaf) their favorite console. Console makers could release an urethra-fucking peripheral and there would be people simping for their favorite brand.

Unless it’s within limits of the machinery. Which is the point. Your statement is not automatically true, not all temperature increases are the same. A +3 degree increase only matters depending on where you start from.
The meltdown continues. Carry on soldiers
This doesn't make any sense...

How is wasting resources good?

If they can reduce the amount of copper and still keep the performance, it's good for everybody.

Breaking News!
PS5s were not scalped, they were hoarded for copper!

Austin was hit by rabid fanboys doxxing him, sending various threats, and other types of cyber-bullying, online harassment and overall console warrior toxicity on spots like Twitter

Funny this because I went through a lot of the replies on his Twitter and seen LOTS of people either ask him valid questions or criticizing him for his testing methods. And predictably the people asking the real questions never received any answers. By real questions I mean like for example them wanting to know why he didn't test the internals too before coming to a conclusion.
I've seen the same thing on other youtubers channels. Everyone's just asking valid questions of his methods or criticizing him for the video. Some are commenting they will wait on Gamer Nexus or Digital Foundry.
On Twitter he doesn't answer these questions. Instead on he only answers to those praising him doing a good job on the test OR praising him for his channel.

So yeah I have to call bullshit on the above bolded. Dude is clearly playing the victim card and using social media toxicity as a defense.

So the guy made click baity video, gets called out on it, and then creates a victim video.

200.gif
Exactly.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Fanboy overreactions are bad.

On the other hand, making a sweeping clickbait statement with the usual clickbait thumbnail, redirect the responsibility on "the algorithm," and then wonder why people call you on it isn't exactly the best look.

Clickbait is engineered to elicit a reaction. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Not to defend this guy because the video sounds like pure bullshit from the beginning. I've only seen a short clip that was shared by someone else and I refuse to watch the videos because I don't want to give him clicks/views because that clip was awful.

But, one thing the new ps5 uses less of a heatsink at a reduced cost to Sony and if he is right that the original ps5 was over engineered that would still make the new one worse right? So in a way the guy is not lying?

We need to wait for gamers nexus etc to do a proper test but it wouldn't surprise me if the SOC and memory do run slightly hotter. That will be fine but it will be worse than the initial design.

White-fire

The meltdown continues. Carry on soldiers

How is that an appropriate response to anything I said? Until there is genuine proof that the comparatively minor heat increase actually makes the console worse, claiming such is lying (or misleading if I’m giving the benefit of the doubt). That’s my whole point. You don’t need to be a Sony Pony to agree with that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom