• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin Evans Defends His PS5 Revision Video (Let's Talk About The New PS5)

Do You Agree With Austin's Opinions On The New PS5?

• Yes

Votes: 82 18.7%
  • No

Votes: 94 21.5%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 162 37.0%
  • Waiting for Digital Foundry, Gamers Nexus and others to decide

Votes: 100 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loxus

Do you assume all these things for other people's videos? Does he have a track record of doing these things? I've only seen 2 of his videos. The tear down and the ps5 review. The ps5 review was pretty glowing.

First the fan looks like it can move more air at a lower speed. I'm not an aerodynamic expert so I can only guess. Second you are jumping to ridiculous conclusions. If the APU was 20° under spec and now it's 15° under you don't need to change fan speed at all. Put the 2 ps5s into a 50° room or an insulated box is the way to test since it's current operating temperature is probably still quite a bit below critical.
People like Gamer Nexus has a track record for testing PC components.

Now look at Austin Evans videos and tell me if his track record is good at testing PC components.

Both PS5 chips produces the same heat because the heat they produce are tied to power draw and not frequency. If the exhaust heat is higher than the old model and fan speed is lower, it means heat transfer from the chip is better.

It's the fan speed that determines how hot the the internal temperature of consoles/PCs is, not exhaust heat.

Also, a larger heatsink maybe less efficient if it doesn't have proper airflow. You start to get diminishing returns if the air can't flow through all the fins fast enough. Which is my guess why Sony reduced the fin stack at the bottom left.

Gamer Nexus did a airflow test that shows the airflow of the PS5 is mostly in the middle.

oCyERcK.jpg

Now when you look at both heatsinks you can see the redesign heatsink looks more balanced in terms of airflow through all fins.

As for all the copper that was removed, was it really needed?
qOlyiYk.jpg

Take a look at GPU heatsinks. They don't have all that copper cold plate, just needs enough to cover the chip itself.

To say the PS5 has a worst cooling doesn't make much sense. Especially when it still uses liquid metal and the fan doesn't ramp up.

People like Gamer Nexus has a track record for testing PC components.

Now look at Austin Evans videos and tell me if his track record is good at testing PC components.

Both PS5 chips produces the same heat because the heat they produce are tied to power draw and not frequency. If the exhaust heat is higher than the old model and fan speed is lower, it means heat transfer from the chip is better.

It's the fan speed that determines how hot the the internal temperature of consoles/PCs is, not exhaust heat.

Also, a larger heatsink maybe less efficient if it doesn't have proper airflow. You start to get diminishing returns if the air can't flow through all the fins fast enough. Which is my guess why Sony reduced the fin stack at the bottom left.

Gamer Nexus did a airflow test that shows the airflow of the PS5 is mostly in the middle.

oCyERcK.jpg

Now when you look at both heatsinks you can see the redesign heatsink looks more balanced in terms of airflow through all fins.

As for all the copper that was removed, was it really needed?
qOlyiYk.jpg

Take a look at GPU heatsinks. They don't have all that copper cold plate, just needs enough to cover the chip itself.

To say the PS5 has a worst cooling doesn't make much sense. Especially when it still uses liquid metal and the fan doesn't ramp up.

This works better with the assumption the design was lacking to start with.

ZoukGalaxy

According to Austin, the Thermal Paste PS5 is better because it has cooler exhaust heat @43°c vs 52°c for the Liquid Metal PS5.

Makes you wonder about that new PS5 model with a exhaust temperature of 55°c.
LOL

Heat transfer are a vast subjet. We won't know until deep and methodical tests.

But said like that, yes, it's pretty hilarious 😹

Last edited:

yurinka

Fair enough point, but should they not have already collected this data before launch?
When you develop stuff, on paper things always look perfect. But then things are different in real life scenarios, where millions of people act in many ways you didn't consider, so getting data from millions of users is very useful.

But IMO something like this shouldn't have what seemingly amounts to purchasing customers acting as QA beta testers providing data the company would've needed to collect internally through elaborate internal simulations/tests.
Well, in theory they aren't QA beta testers, the original console was supposed to work properly thats to that simulations and internal tests and QA. And then revisions or firmware updates just iterate and maybe optimize or tweak some stuff using real life data.

In suitable conditions yeah. I think Austin implying a throttle situation at 53 degree Celsius was ridiculous tbh; even if the system had absolutely terrible cooling (which it doesn't), it'd need to hit a lot higher than that to begin throttling, though in such a case throttle point would occur before its max rated temperature limit, for sure.
We also have to remember that throttling works in another way in PS5. Remember that video of the guy artificially causing the console to overhead and still was working well.

amc

When someone posts some type of content with a contentious narrative, which then proceeds to backfire and draw criticism, we always get the doxxed and death threats line of defence. Instant shutdown of any such criticism.

I know there are loons out there who probably do use such threats but it definitely gets thrown about as a shutdown from some who find themselves walking back with their tale between their legs.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’ve rarely seen so many people stick their head in the sand on cue. None of them cares whether the new PS5s are actually hotter. They just hate the idea that it might be as well as anybody who expresses it, whether they can back it up or not.

The notion that a smaller and cheaper cooling apparatus that covers a smaller surface and produces a hotter output(all facts) is actually more performant defies logic. He’s right to say it’s against the law of physics. I don’t know if it is risking to lower the system performance but because of the architecture that Sony freely chose, it is at least a possibility in this instance. I’m glad I have the original ps5. It might be worth a lot one day at the rate that Sony is going.
But it still draws the same from the wall while exhausting air more efficiently.
Airflow might be the answer. Noctua d15 weighs less than competition but it's better ventilated

pasterpl

This doesn't make any sense...

How is wasting resources good?

If they can reduce the amount of copper and still keep the performance, it's good for everybody.

Breaking News!
PS5s were not scalped, they were hoarded for copper!
It is definitely good for Sony as it reduces their per unit cost and this with same sale price means more profit per unit. It is not that they reduce cost because they use less high quality materials, price is same, just more of the same greedy Sony for you. It is not win for the players, as you getting hardware with lower quality materials and paying same price as people who bought launch console that was using better quality materials.

Md Ray

There is many cases of just bad airflow causing the overheat screen on ps5. Austin also specifically said in the case of poor airflow and dust and dirt.
Well, no console is immune to this, not even the new Xboxes. Defective units are a thing and/or user negligence can also be easily at play in those cases.
If this is the case bad airflow and dust and dirt over time then 5° could be an issue.
This is if you're assuming (like Austin) that it's 5°C hotter inside, hotter exhaust doesn't mean the internals are hotter though. It could be the other way around. There are two TronicsFix's vids that show this.

The PS5 with thermal paste has cooler exhaust than the liquid metal one:

Xbox Series X's exhaust got even hotter when it's replaced with liquid metal:

Let's wait for GN's test on this.
I believe it was his guest who said the clocks stuff, but I'm not watching it again to confirm.
Me neither, but Tommi84 Tommi84 here posted the timestamp saying that it was him.
by 'This guy' you mean Austin? Because if yes, then please listen to the parts 4:14 and 11:11 of the initial video, where this guy mentions this increase may/will decrease the performance
None of what he said was a general statement
You mean like the video title which alone makes this statement: "The New PS5 is Worse"? And then doubling down on it running hotter in the second vid?
He also said Sony knows what they are doing and it probably is still well within spec, but it's also still the poorer version.
Why are none of his caveats ever mentioned in this thread?
Because he's a bullshitter and wanted to generate clicks by spreading FUD with shitty claims like the clocks will throttle and reduce perf simply because the cooler is changed.

Last edited:
It is definitely good for Sony as it reduces their per unit cost and this with same sale price means more profit per unit. It is not that they reduce cost because they use less high quality materials, price is same, just more of the same greedy Sony for you. It is not win for the players, as you getting hardware with lower quality materials and paying same price as people who bought launch console that was using better quality materials.
Yeah Microsoft doesn't reduce xbox cost over the years, they are pro consumers... what a clown sentence, doesn't change anything for the consumers.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

The cost of those "better quality materials" have gone up significantly with the copper shortage that sent prices through the roof. As long as the console stays within the target specifications and performs the same as it the first version, what does it matter that Sony is taking steps to not take a massive loss on the console?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/06/copper-is-the-new-oil-and-could-hit-20000-per-ton-analysts-say.html

We don't know if the heatsink is more effective or less effective, it's a redesign.

If the console works to spec? (which it most surely does) What is the problem?

Of course there is a cost saving in 300g reduction of material(some/most of it copper), but there is also investment in R&D for the redesign.

As a customer if the console works as promised, there is no problem. Saved materials are always good for everybody.

(Companies assembling, designing and selling products should make profit on what they sell and produce)

Greed according to you.
To me it sounds more like what a responsible company would do.

There was a guy here on GAF who got a self requested ban after embarrassing himself making a big deal about premium packaging materials when competition was according to him cheaping out by using almost all recyclable material. :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

It also reduces the transport costs, but where is the problem? Sony will save tens of millions and it's good for the environment. Would it be nice if Sony would give some of it back to the customers? Sure, but at the and of the day they are a huge company and all they want is making money, no matter what slogan they have.

Any time you see a Austin Evans video, most likely you need to report it to YouTube as misleading. Take his stuff down.
Will never Happen. This garbage Channels generate clicks and money even If they are misleading. YouTube doesn't give a fuck how they generate the clicks and money.

If they would Take this stuff down 90% of this garbage Channels would vanish.

How can it be hotter and still be quieter?
For all we know, he could have faked some things in that video.

Have you ever heard of graphics cards with a bios Switch?

In silent mode the cards runs in lower clock frequencies with slower spinning fans and increased temperatures.

Loxus

Have you ever heard of graphics cards with a bios Switch?

In silent mode the cards runs in lower clock frequencies with slower spinning fans and increased temperatures.
Except the PS5 cooling is designed around power not frequency.

Instead of running at constant frequency and letting the power vary, the PS5 runs at constant power and let the frequency vary.

By doing that, you know the max heat output based on the power and design the cooling around that.

Reactions: Rea

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Anyone who has ever suggested the revision might perform worse because it possibly runs a little hotter doesn't understand how the PS5 works. It will never perform worse, it will always perform exactly like all other PS5s as long as it's within the thermal envelope, and once it's not it will shut down. It doesn't do thermal throttling like a PC.

Loxus

This might be a stupid question - but could the liquid metal one be hotter because heat is transferred better?
Exactly, so with that being said.
Wouldn't that imply that the new model PS5 exhaust is hotter because of better heat transfer?

With all the research and test many of us has found. Hotter exhaust = better heat transfer and louder fan noise/fan ramping up = hotter internal.

Some tests even shows the fan ramping up while having lower exhaust heat. Which implies hotter internal heat and lower heat transfer.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Considering my ps5 sounded like a jet engine can’t see how the new one can possible be worse.

• LOL
Reactions: Rea

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wouldn't that imply that the new model PS5 exhaust is hotter because of better heat transfer?

With all the research and test many of us has found. Hotter exhaust = better heat transfer and louder fan noise/fan ramping up = hotter internal.

Some tests even shows the fan ramping up while having lower exhaust heat. Which implies hotter internal heat and lower heat transfer.

I'm kinda amazed how any of these guys disputing this stuff could find any of it unclear to be honest!

As you correctly point out above the crucial part of an active cooling systems is the fan (or the water pump if that's applicable).

If that fails, then there's a real problem because thats the thing that is tasked with moving the heat out of the system. All the heat sink is doing is presenting a larger surface area for heat to be convected away from than would be possible were the chip just to be a bare surface-mount.

The bottom line is always going to be that although a larger heat-sink is going to be able to store more thermal energy, that's really not what's important. You're not building a reservoir, but a pipeline away from the heat source. Ultimately that pipeline needs to dump out somewhere, because otherwise its eventually going to start backing up!

This is tricky, materials are the same.
What we think is that new model has better air flow, and if that's the case than shouldn't this better airflow cool the heatsink faster resulting on a lower temperature exhaust?

You people still talking shit about this guy? Why? No one cares. Out of the 200+million potential PS5 buyers not even 1 million people care about his crap. You could poll his 5 million subscribers or whatever and the 1.8 million or so who watched his video and I bet not even 10 percent of them give a damn about it. Ooooo 3 degrees hotter! Buyer beware! Lmao

What we think is that new model has better air flow, and if that's the case than shouldn't this better airflow cool the heatsink faster resulting on a lower temperature exhaust?

Well there's less stuff in the way so there probably is a change to the airflow. I remember Gamer Nexus mentioned that the fins slow the air down a lot in the original model. Now with less of them it's possible that air flows more easily throughout the system.

Definitely possible that the heatsink is hotter but it's also possible that the airflow is better.

Really curious to see what Gamer Nexus finds.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The reality is that given the chassis -and importantly interior volume- is unchanged, a smaller heat-sink is going to yield better results because there's greater air volume generally as well as flowing along the convection path. Its a thermo-dynamic pipeline after all.

Loxus

He only showed facts, I don't see why several people criticize him.

It's not like he's photoshopped the heatsink size or lied about the temperature measurements.
He showed facts but told lies.

The PS5 doesn't throttle because of heat.
The PS5 doesn't have overheating issues.
The PS5 doesn't have worst cooling as it still uses liquid metal.
And the new heatsink isn't massively reduced.

Redesign yes but the word 'massively' is incorrectly used to generate clicks.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Considering my ps5 sounded like a jet engine can’t see how the new one can possible be worse.

Considering I've had my PS5 since launch and used it during the hottest summer here in Upstate New York you either have a faulty PS5, have it in a space without good ventilation or your place is 75-80 degrees 24/7.

Mine has been silent since I bought it, only noise is from disc drive when installing or loading a game then it goes quiet after that.

Top Bottom