• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin Evans Defends His PS5 Revision Video (Let's Talk About The New PS5)

Do You Agree With Austin's Opinions On The New PS5?

• Yes

Votes: 82 18.7%
  • No

Votes: 94 21.5%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 162 37.0%
  • Waiting for Digital Foundry, Gamers Nexus and others to decide

Votes: 100 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bryank75

Banned
AM-JKLVcGdI9JEWmQqPo1U79sPjdMsaqCycma-rdK9CeApFJmhQo4zwflnRV6IHyMWv-nJ8LfwLsGtIVw7Xkc99zoHZosm6Ge1NkIWGNjAtcsRF2Z69LEt6MAqQzXsP8hijsKaq6i2pEv2hG4hSc6m11cl29=w1652-h929-no
AM-JKLXAJFSjuDQn49YA8tVdl29UixRxXsD4TwMX15ISL2OYn-5Xc-kxZ93krJPoP2ikA7JoRzFdUpXv1EahH_3BhE9TQSOfl-UYLvyZLFSOXf11HIoq3Fuzbt81_vWInJc4qMxy3GlsKTOTzSiZCpe_OyOs=w523-h929-no
AM-JKLWBsCgXSE1zZPEq_MqwGm6S8ZLOJC6MXF0ohvIhUu_LtXml55dFi3ZXyhXFv-C52Rb1denFJCjs8nxo_eDH4ixl-bqRXt5tR7rOyhz3XnbPXM6M9wSrPmtBv4M8viB_j1cRax-aNaabz08aNk9j_Oca=w1652-h929-no

- console build quality is much better than expected
- dual sense is quite fucking awesome
- console is quiet (so far)
- I don't like the menu...
- don't mind flowers, it's temporary placement

- where is my fucking 300 grams of copper Sony?!

Yeah, the UI needs work but I find it less annoying now that I'm used to it actually.

Still feels a bit disjointed at times though.

It has much more solid build quality than PS4 and Pro tbh.

Last edited:
“We still need more tests but it’s not going to be better.”

Your statement makes no sense, from the tests we already have there isn’t a difference. Unless they console is actually worse it any way it isn’t worse, this should be an easy concept to grasp. Slightly higher temps within the prescribed limits are meaningless, it’s not better or worse (because it doesn’t make it
Nah, if the console runs hotter then it is categorically worse, end of discussion.

Does it perform worse? No.

You can separate these things and still be very clear that it is a downgrade from the original.

You have a choice between 2 consoles with identical performance ; one runs hot, one doesn't, which would you choose?

Answer is easy and the same for EVERYONE.

Armorian

Banned
Have you noticed any weird throttling issues?

That's one of the concerns behind the new model.

Ratchet and Astro played fine, no issues. People really expect Sony would release console dropping performance from hot temp? Console would go jet engine (PS4 Pro style) mode before that.

Yeah, the UI needs work but I find it less annoying now that I'm used to it actually.

Still feels a bit disjointed at times though.

It has much more solid build quality than PS4 and Pro tbh.

That's why I'm surprised, since super slim PS3 their consoles weren't that great in this aspect.

UI lacks so many things (custom themes...), why we have to go trough this every gen?

Nah, if the console runs hotter then it is categorically worse, end of discussion.

Does it perform worse? No.

You can separate these things and still be very clear that it is a downgrade from the original.

You have a choice between 2 consoles with identical performance ; one runs hot, one doesn't, which would you choose?

Answer is easy and the same for EVERYONE.

Does console run hotter? We don't know because we don't know internal temperature of components. It blows more hot air than previous model for sure and that could literally mean that cooling is more sufficient at dissipating heat. That is what evan is missing.

Last edited:

Loxus

form fails GIF

I read/heard somewhere that the fan we saw in the new revision was the same one that we saw in the official PS5 teardown vid. :pie_ssmiling:

If this is true, then it should be possible to take the fan from the new one and install it in the OG model.
Fan from the PS5 teardown definitely looks similar to the one in the new model PS5. So the fan might not really be a new design fan.
xHaA8mS.jpg
4y9dYf5.jpg

Edit:
Yep that fan in the new model PS5 has been in PS5s for awhile.
According to a French tech website the PS5 has 2 different fans models
Bp3mkjz.jpg

Fans from Austin's video.
EE3Hn7f.jpg

Last edited:
Ratchet and Astro played fine, no issues. People really expect Sony would release console dropping performance from hot temp? Console would go jet engine (PS4 Pro style) mode before that.

It was one of the points mentioned in the video. In theory if it heats up enough performance can suffer due to throttling.

That's why I'm surprised, since super slim PS3 their consoles weren't that great in this aspect.

UI lacks so many things (custom themes...), why we have to go trough this every gen?

Does console run hotter? We don't know because we don't know internal temperature of components. It blows more hot air than previous model for sure and that could literally mean that cooling is more sufficient at dissipating heat. That is what evan is missing.
Unless that's proven to be the case it's clearly going to be viewed as a negative. If your console is stored in a small space like a lot of ppl then the hotter the air pumping out of the back the hotter the console will run.

If the cooling system was more efficient with this change why would Sony not put that on the box? That would be one hell of a missed PR opportunity.....

Armorian

Banned
Unless that's proven to be the case it's clearly going to be viewed as a negative. If your console is stored in a small space like a lot of ppl then the hotter the air pumping out of the back the hotter the console will run.

If the cooling system was more efficient with this change why would Sony not put that on the box? That would be one hell of a missed PR opportunity.....

Sony did tons of PS3 revisions and never mentioned smaller process nodes and cooler, quieter consoles thanks to that.

Although I'm not seeing anybody celebrating death threats, doxing or suggesting that they are appropriate here. I feel much of that was covered in the original thread.
What I've quoted above is the crux of the issue that people seem to have with the video, it's certainly the issue that I have, it's what Gamers Nexus mention and it's what Digital Foundry mentioned in their piece.
We're are not talking about opinions, we are talking about basic scientific metrics and the fact that his video contains no scientific validity at all simply due to the methods and lack of peer review.
Of course, people would absolutely valid in his careful selection of the reactionary and tabloid like "worse" in the title of the video to gain views from people who probably lack the same technical understanding that he does. That is the only video of his that I've watched and I have no need to ever watch anything else on his channel because illustrates perfectly his poor understanding of what he thinks he is doing.
I'd imagine that word did it's job though and it was a popular video for people. I would really think that if I'd received death threats and/or doxxing that the last thing I would want to do is to do exactly the same thing again in a second video that I knew was bound to be popular and watched by the same idiots who are doing it.
Although he clearly lacks the technical knowledge to deal with the things that he makes a living from doing, I find it difficult to believe that anybody who makes their living online can't think of a more positive and sensible way to deal with these things.
I don't know the guy, he may be the nicest guy on the planet and I would truly hope that the vast majority know that you don't threaten to kill people just because they're bad at their job.
Austin claiming the new cooling system is worse is an opinion. He never claimed he was a scientist or was giving a scientific analysis of of the system's cooling system. This is the same guy that put an XSX into a box to see if it was going to overheat. Nothing scientific about that either but of course no one threatened his life over it either.

The funny thing about his original video is that is was pretty informative. Unless I missed it none of the major Sony fan sites showed the new internal cooling system or performed an extensive analysis of the new system before Austin did. Most had no idea what the new cooler looked like.

The other funny thing is that many of the responses outside of the doxxing and death threats were childish name calling like clown and Xbox shill despite no evidence of that. So we can attack this guy for no proof of scientific analysis but can easily call him a shill with no proof of that either. Jeff Grubb was called an Xbox shill as well and he was one of the first people to say that he didn't agree with Austin's take. He also managed to do that without calling him names as well.

As soon as we get into ad hominem attacks any actual argument is lost. Obviously the doxxing and death threats are on a whole different level. Hopefully this entire episode will get people to actually present an intelligent logical response over an emotional one next time.

tommib

AM-JKLVcGdI9JEWmQqPo1U79sPjdMsaqCycma-rdK9CeApFJmhQo4zwflnRV6IHyMWv-nJ8LfwLsGtIVw7Xkc99zoHZosm6Ge1NkIWGNjAtcsRF2Z69LEt6MAqQzXsP8hijsKaq6i2pEv2hG4hSc6m11cl29=w1652-h929-no
AM-JKLXAJFSjuDQn49YA8tVdl29UixRxXsD4TwMX15ISL2OYn-5Xc-kxZ93krJPoP2ikA7JoRzFdUpXv1EahH_3BhE9TQSOfl-UYLvyZLFSOXf11HIoq3Fuzbt81_vWInJc4qMxy3GlsKTOTzSiZCpe_OyOs=w523-h929-no
AM-JKLWBsCgXSE1zZPEq_MqwGm6S8ZLOJC6MXF0ohvIhUu_LtXml55dFi3ZXyhXFv-C52Rb1denFJCjs8nxo_eDH4ixl-bqRXt5tR7rOyhz3XnbPXM6M9wSrPmtBv4M8viB_j1cRax-aNaabz08aNk9j_Oca=w1652-h929-no

Edit: I’m blind.

Last edited:

Loxus

Austin claiming the new cooling system is worse is an opinion. He never claimed he was a scientist or was giving a scientific analysis of of the system's cooling system. This is the same guy that put an XSX into a box to see if it was going to overheat. Nothing scientific about that either but of course no one threatened his life over it either.

The funny thing about his original video is that is was pretty informative. Unless I missed it none of the major Sony fan sites showed the new internal cooling system or performed an extensive analysis of the new system before Austin did. Most had no idea what the new cooler looked like.

The other funny thing is that many of the responses outside of the doxxing and death threats were childish name calling like clown and Xbox shill despite no evidence of that. So we can attack this guy for no proof of scientific analysis but can easily call him a shill with no proof of that either. Jeff Grubb was called an Xbox shill as well and he was one of the first people to say that he didn't agree with Austin's take. He also managed to do that without calling him names as well.

As soon as we get into ad hominem attacks any actual argument is lost. Obviously the doxxing and death threats are on a whole different level. Hopefully this entire episode will get people to actually present an intelligent logical response over an emotional one next time.
This has to be the first in a week that you logged on and is now catching up on this topic right?

So much information was posted in not one, but three different thread on him mostly favouring Xbox and why not to take his information on the PS5 as fact or reliable information.

Only thing he could be right about is the PS5 could have 3°c hotter internal, which requires more testing of the internal temps.

All his other information like throttling and overheating are false.

Last edited:
Fan from the PS5 teardown definitely looks similar to the one in the new model PS5. So the fan might not really be a new design fan.
xHaA8mS.jpg
4y9dYf5.jpg

Edit:
Yep that fan in the new model PS5 has been in PS5s for awhile.
According to a French tech website the PS5 has 2 different fans models
Bp3mkjz.jpg

Fans from Austin's video.
EE3Hn7f.jpg
Welp, that's...interesting. Because I was under the impression it could've been a new fan running at higher RPM but also quieter than the old one, which would've been a part of the cooling redesign encouraging a reduction of the heat pipe.

But if it's the same model (at most odds, it's a new model keeping the exact same design as the old one, we'd need to know product numbers and such to confirm that) then that would be impossible....mostly. It's possible that the space created in reduction of the heat sink size would allow for a higher RPM on the fan while producing the same or less noise as the launch model, and that would also lend to the idea the cooling is more efficient.

All of that is just a theory though and more thorough testing would have to be performed to determine what's really going on with internal thermals and cooling between the old and new models.

Stooky

I’ve come to the unscientific conclusion that you are a stan for Austin Evan. Nobody is arguing about the death threats (only you) , just about the fud he said in both videos. And yet you just keep spooning him.

Last edited:

lachesis

As far as I know, even when the fan is removed - PS5 will play the game, and will give you the system is too hot warning screen... which you can skip it and keep playing interestingly.
(Well, at least according to an early PS5 videos - perhaps they changed that in new firmware revisions)

I don't think it will throttle anything on hardware level. Gaming performance drops, I don't think it will be any issue what-so-ever. M.2 SSDs though, not too sure to be honest whether they'll throttle or not... and that's probably why I'll get one with decent heat sink on it when I do.

If the fan is still the same, and the exterior doesn't have any more intakes - at least it gets rid of couple of variables.

PS5 by design is more like a blower - they even made the PSU to look like that to channel the air within the chasis. When I saw PS5 layout - what fascinated me was that whole console itself was laid out in shape of big blower fan. As blower fans create higher pressure and steady (but lower) airflow, which makes perfect sense for given such large heat sink.

Also motherboard changes to be looked at as well. It does look like some of the grooves on the motherboard backplate has changed slightly. Not really sure what it means, though - my hope is they would have moved that hot memory to the more advantageous location.

Another possibility is that Sony themselves changed the fan control curve, that fans not running as high speed, even at the expense of higher temperature, deeming after the IRL tests, the system is working just fine at higher temp. (They did mention that they can change the fan speed via firmware updates)

Last edited:

Loxus

Welp, that's...interesting. Because I was under the impression it could've been a new fan running at higher RPM but also quieter than the old one, which would've been a part of the cooling redesign encouraging a reduction of the heat pipe.

But if it's the same model (at most odds, it's a new model keeping the exact same design as the old one, we'd need to know product numbers and such to confirm that) then that would be impossible....mostly. It's possible that the space created in reduction of the heat sink size would allow for a higher RPM on the fan while producing the same or less noise as the launch model, and that would also lend to the idea the cooling is more efficient.

All of that is just a theory though and more thorough testing would have to be performed to determine what's really going on with internal thermals and cooling between the old and new models.
Exactly,
If Austin was really into tech, he would have done research to see the fan in the new model PS5 wasn't a newly designed fan but one of the two fan models currently in PS5s.

He didn't think anything positive about the PS5 cooling at all in that video. No mention of the cooling still utilizing liquid metal, nothing.

The criticism of what his video is that he either doesn't know what he's doing or that he does know what he's doing but he has chosen to do it incorrectly for some reason. Which is of absolutely no importance to me because it has no effect on what he said not tying in with what he did.
He quite clearly gave quantifiable metrics concerning the running temperature of the two consoles but shows that he's not measured either. Any use of metrics such as the ones he used are aby their very definition, science.
He just happened to have been one of the first people who makes a living from YouTube to make a video. I don't understand how that would have made his video of use to you but if it did, that's fine.
For me, I'll do the same as always and wait for a publication/channel/friend that over time I have grown to trust due to them clearly demonstrating that they know what they're doing.
I don't care about what people call "fanboys" and whatever stupidity they're supposed to follow. Normally I wouldn't even reply to somebody who uses such an infantile words but you are misrepresenting what has been happening here and also what I was claiming.
I've never suggested the he was biased in what he was doing, I don't know him or what he does outside of that particular video and I have no interest in any of it because what he has shown here is genuinely of no value to me. I don't care what he is, who he likes or doesn't like, it's of absolutely no relevance to his lack of understanding in what he believed that he was doing and hat he presented.
If you have issues with people saying certain things then I would suggest that I'm probably not the person to mention it to as it's not anything that I have any influence over.
You mention intelligent responses and yet present none concerning his methodology or the fact that he was either intentionally inarticulate or that he lacks the knowledge and/or skill to be able to obtain accurate information.
There is only one way that you can realistically come to the conclusions that he presented and that is by using this sort of methodology.

Fortunately, they, like me have criticised his methodology in reaching his conclusions and are attempting obtain the latest revision of the console so they can test it and work in partnership with Digital Foundry on this, who have also criticised his methodology in obtaining the results that he presented.
Once that has happened there will very likely be a discussion to have about their results but until that there are no sensible conclusions that can be drawn other than we don't have enough information to come to those conclusions.

The New PS5 is Worse 😬

That's the titled copied from his very video, that in itself is entirely unsubstantiated. I don't know who his editor is but whoever it is should really know that it's a very different title to what it should be if he accurately represented his results, even if do we forget that the conclusion he presented is inaccurate anyway.

The New PS5 has a smaller heatsink and temperatures outside the console have risen slightly according to my mobile phone, but to assume that the console itself is worse because of this is foolish right now as we quite simply don't have data to qualify that :pie_confused:

Of course I'm not expecting a heading like that on a video but I am equally surprised to read the heading that he did use when you consider that he doesn't have any results which back the heading up.
Anyway, I have to go and cook for people now. Also, I'm bloody hungry!

there is no way this console is not going to perform exactly as the original and as expected. It’s gonna be fine.

It was one of the possible things pointed out in the video. I was just wondering if it was true or not. After all if the console is badly designed then those things should happen. If not then it won't have any issues like that.

skit_data

It was one of the possible things pointed out in the video. I was just wondering if it was true or not. After all if the console is badly designed then those things should happen. If not then it won't have any issues like that.
Richard from DF tried it by putting Control in ray-tracing in photo mode (uncapped framerate) and found no indication that it performed worse than a launch model PS5. The fan didn’t even kick up.

Austins understanding of what would impact performance is still based around the same old misunderstanding about how the variable frequencies and smartshift technology works. It can be considered stupidity at best or intentional spreading of FUD at worst.

mckmas8808

Banned
Richard from DF tried it by putting Control in ray-tracing in photo mode (uncapped framerate) and found no indication that it performed worse than a launch model PS5. The fan didn’t even kick up.

Austins understanding of what would impact performance is still based around the same old misunderstanding about how the variable frequencies and smartshift technology works. It can be considered stupidity at best or intentional spreading of FUD at worst.

I think we all know which one it is.

AUSTIN ON SUICIDE WATCH! :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Not really; I just checked that out and if you look at it average power usage is actually at least slightly higher while RAM operating temps are much higher. The CPU operating temp is much lower but this apparently was never a concern in earlier analysis plus it's a mobile Zen variant and those already aim for low power consumption compared to the desktop variants.

Overall it's a mixed bag of a revision if I'm being perfectly honest, but it's likely these changes were made to accommodate for a future 6nm chip revision down the line; although the CPU decrease did make me think for a sec it was a 6nm revision, I'd have to see the GPU operating temp difference (if any) to verify, and besides Sony isn't said to be shifting to 6nm until sometime later 2022 anyway so...

Papacheeks

Banned
Not really; I just checked that out and if you look at it average power usage is actually at least slightly higher while RAM operating temps are much higher. The CPU operating temp is much lower but this apparently was never a concern in earlier analysis plus it's a mobile Zen variant and those already aim for low power consumption compared to the desktop variants.

Overall it's a mixed bag of a revision if I'm being perfectly honest, but it's likely these changes were made to accommodate for a future 6nm chip revision down the line; although the CPU decrease did make me think for a sec it was a 6nm revision, I'd have to see the GPU operating temp difference (if any) to verify, and besides Sony isn't said to be shifting to 6nm until sometime later 2022 anyway so...

Actually if you payed attention these were more or less for cost cutting on copper, and specific parts that were holding up production. look at what was removed copper plate, part of the heatsink. Makes it so they can hit their target numbers and also not have any delays in manufacturing.

So let me clarify a bit because some folks will think I'm trying to be an edgy contrarian when I'm not. Yes, the new model has noticeably lower CPU operating thermals. It has some (marginally) lower power draw in low-power usage scenarios. But certain power draw is ever so higher and the RAM operating temps are much higher.

Sony's solution to that seems to have been to lower the CPU operational thermals, and because of that, they were able to move away from copper usage (to help save costs). However, lower overall system thermal operation temperature doesn't mean as much as some want to think it means if the decreases aren't across the board. Again, RAM thermals were the big pause point for people like Gamers Nexus in their earlier analysis, and on its own that'll be a bigger issue now that they're outputting more heat.

However, if they demonstrate that in spite of that those specific components should get better cooling overall thanks to lower thermal outputs from certain other components, then cool. I'll believe it, especially if others like DF also confirm this. Because different components have different limits in terms of thermal operations over certain longevity periods and usage cases that could cause one to remain perfectly fine but another to wear down sooner even if the overall design they're assembled in is cooler, that's the point I've been trying to get across even in light of the new analysis, and that's my personal point of curiosity I'd like other tests to (hopefully) answer in a way where it's no longer something I would be hung up about.

So don't put me in that FUD-mongering camp; I never outright trust info blindly especially if it's from just one source (one I've not heard of up to this point with these type of tests, btw). Give me more sources and see what their results are, see if they have answers in relation to component longevity impacts that are satisfactory and I'm 100% good with that. You don't see me making ridiculous claims like games throttling due to slight thermal increases for a reason: I know that won't happen so why mention it?

But no one has yet answered my my curiosity on select component longevity could be a point of issue with the new design compared to the old, in a way where I can say "well, I guess I shouldn't be questioning that after all", other than making it seem like I'm trying to be a fudder or something, that's kind of ridiculous IMO.

Actually if you payed attention these were more or less for cost cutting on copper, and specific parts that were holding up production. look at what was removed copper plate, part of the heatsink. Makes it so they can hit their target numbers and also not have any delays in manufacturing.

Yeah, I had heard this was a factor, but it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. If they know they have a "PS5 Slim" coming maybe next year or 2023, something where they want to have a motherboard design in place to really benefit the 6nm chip, then why not also take that opportunity ahead of time with a tweak in the design as seen here?

It's like killing two birds with one stone, but the second bird's got some extra time meanwhile until the 6nm fabbing spins up.

Last edited:

skit_data

So let me clarify a bit because some folks will think I'm trying to be an edgy contrarian when I'm not. Yes, the new model has noticeably lower CPU operating thermals. It has some (marginally) lower power draw in low-power usage scenarios. But certain power draw is ever so higher and the RAM operating temps are much higher.

Sony's solution to that seems to have been to lower the CPU operational thermals, and because of that, they were able to move away from copper usage (to help save costs). However, lower overall system thermal operation temperature doesn't mean as much as some want to think it means if the decreases aren't across the board. Again, RAM thermals were the big pause point for people like Gamers Nexus in their earlier analysis, and on its own that'll be a bigger issue now that they're outputting more heat.

However, if they demonstrate that in spite of that those specific components should get better cooling overall thanks to lower thermal outputs from certain other components, then cool. I'll believe it, especially if others like DF also confirm this. Because different components have different limits in terms of thermal operations over certain longevity periods and usage cases that could cause one to remain perfectly fine but another to wear down sooner even if the overall design they're assembled in is cooler, that's the point I've been trying to get across even in light of the new analysis, and that's my personal point of curiosity I'd like other tests to (hopefully) answer in a way where it's no longer something I would be hung up about.

So don't put me in that FUD-mongering camp; I never outright trust info blindly especially if it's from just one source (one I've not heard of up to this point with these type of tests, btw). Give me more sources and see what their results are, see if they have answers in relation to component longevity impacts that are satisfactory and I'm 100% good with that. You don't see me making ridiculous claims like games throttling due to slight thermal increases for a reason: I know that won't happen so why mention it?

But no one has yet answered my my curiosity on select component longevity could be a point of issue with the new design compared to the old, in a way where I can say "well, I guess I shouldn't be questioning that after all", other than making it seem like I'm trying to be a fudder or something, that's kind of ridiculous IMO.
I think it was specifically one of the RAM chips that was hot in GNs testing, and afaik we don’t know which one they were testing in this new test. It’s possible some of them run slightly warmer but the one GN was referring to is left relatively unchanged.

I think we will get all answers when his video drops.

Tripolygon

Banned

It's like killing two birds with one stone, but the second bird's got some extra time meanwhile until the 6nm fabbing spins up.
The RAM temperature are not an issue. That is normal working temperature for RAM. GDDR6 has higher tolerance than even GDDR5 RAM 95C vs 105C. Looking at the parts catalog for Micron RAM will show you that. Gamer Nexus does not take that into consideration when concluding that the PS5 RAM is running too hot, the Series X RAM is just as hot give or take 4 - 5C difference.

Last edited:

To me the temp of the memory was surprising, based on this tests temperature on the new model increased but... wasn't almost 100ºC on Gamer Nexus? So this goes to show that no one knows yet how hot the memory runs and changes are that Sony is sure it runs on an acceptable temperature.

But still, this is an improvement, it's practically certain at this point that the new model indeed has better air flow. The more the better, means less dust accumulated and probably a faster air current over the removable SSD.

The RAM temperature are not an issue. That is normal working temperature for RAM. GDDR6 has higher tolerance than even GDDR5 RAM 95C vs 105C. Looking at the parts catalog for Micron RAM will show you that. Gamer Nexus does not take that into consideration when concluding that the PS5 RAM is running too hot, the Series X RAM is just as hot give or take 4 - 5C difference.
Gamers Nexus is a bit too technical a guy to have not taken something like that into consideration when they did their analysis IMO, but you could possibly say he didn't weigh it as much as he could've or should've. We'll have to see.

To me the temp of the memory was surprising, based on this tests temperature on the new model increased but... wasn't almost 100ºC on Gamer Nexus? So this goes to show that no one knows yet how hot the memory runs and changes are that Sony is sure it runs on an acceptable temperature.

But still, this is an improvement, it's practically certain at this point that the new model indeed has better air flow. The more the better, means less dust accumulated and probably a faster air current over the removable SSD.

Yeah the space left open due to the heatsink reduction in size allows for more air circulation around that area which as you said might be where the SSD is located as well.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The whole premise of the thing is kinda ludicrous and FUDdy to me.

Its all about proving/disproving a "problem" that has no likely basis. Like since when has any console hardware manufacturer released a minor build revision that performs worse than previous models? If the initial models had a track-record of throttling due to excessive heat build-up then I could see an argument for investigating whether the changes make that more or less of an issue, but afaik that's not the case.

So, why go to such lengths when the normal course of events is that later models are refinements of the initial production runs, fixing unforseen issue like RROD/YLOD? Its not even like the new PS5 exhausts hotter than Series X!

Why should there even be a suspicion that these changes are potentially problematic, why dignify Austin's junk-science clickbait when it was never really credible in the first place?

tommib

Its all about proving/disproving a "problem" that has no likely basis. Like since when has any console hardware manufacturer released a minor build revision that performs worse than previous models? If the initial models had a track-record of throttling due to excessive heat build-up then I could see an argument for investigating whether the changes make that more or less of an issue, but afaik that's not the case.

So, why go to such lengths when the normal course of events is that later models are refinements of the initial production runs, fixing unforseen issue like RROD/YLOD? Its not even like the new PS5 exhausts hotter than Series X!

Why should there even be a suspicion that these changes are potentially problematic, why dignify Austin's junk-science clickbait when it was never really credible in the first place?
The suspicions come from console warriors, of course - dying to see their rival consoles fail with some #gate. It’s hilarious and sad in equal measures. I keep saying this but there was never a better time to be a console gamer. All consoles in the market are killer devices. Just enjoy the games, people.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Ah yes, missing the Gypsy gold?

Clickbait - Wikipedia

I honestly don't even know why it got any traction.

And for that matter that one with Series X, where ti was said that it's "radically hot"

Not sure what they mean, because if this is "radically hot" then X1X, PS4 Pro was raging hell

This gen is full of grifters, who are full of shit.

Last edited:

Too much small dick energy?
No one is doing or did the same besides the whole tools debacle (that was kinda true, recent system updates improved game performance) with the SeX, even when the PS5 was winning all comparisons.
To some people it needs to be proven that the PS5 is in fact weaker and everyone else needs to accept his truth to reassure them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Too much small dick energy?
No one is doing or did the same besides the whole tools debacle (that was kinda true, recent system updates improved game performance) with the SeX, even when the PS5 was winning all comparisons.
To some people it needs to be proven that the PS5 is in fact weaker and everyone else needs to accept his truth to reassure them.

To be fair, the Gamer Nexus stuff was pretty cool in a tech-geeky way. I appreciate their thoroughness and the way they went out of their way to present it as an exercise in benchmarking process, even though the upshot was basically inconclusive. Obviously a mass-produced console isn't going to have the same ultra-performant cooling solution as a true high-end PC build, but the PS5 seems thoughtfully enough designed for noise and thermal output which is nice to know.

I'd like to have seen more discussion of the choice of frequency versus voltage control on the APU, because that is a pretty novel idea.

Top Bottom